2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

2016 Phoenix area course conditions thread

One_Putt_Blunder

Maryvale today. Won't be back for a while due to pace of play issues, it was unbearable. Course itself was great, first time out since the reno. Conditioning is great, lush but firm fast fairways allowing for a lot of run. A few bare spots on the edges, will be interesting to see how the conditioning holds up during the summer. Greens are still hard as rocks so play for the roll out, but they are fast and true.

What others have mentioned the bunkering really creates havoc out there for the "average joe, high handicap, senior players" and just really created a snails pace of play. Quit after 4 1/2 hours in and still had 3 holes to finish. Only hung in because we wanted to see the course changes and play it.

Enjoyed the what I saw, some of the bunkering again is odd. If you get out there I suggest get off early, within the first few tee times to avoid the issue.

• Replies 880
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is gonna be the killer at GCU now, anything other that the first groups off will become unbearable with the new bunkering. I did enjoy it more when we played it super early but I still think they wasted a whole lot of money on completely pointless bunkers that only slow down the hacks

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

I absolutely love it... but unless I am in the first few groups i won't even consider it until the summer thins out the crowd. The pace out there is terrible after the first few groups.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

Wickenburg Ranch today. Absolutely pure.

If you don't play Wickenburg Ranch because you think the drive is too much, you're 100% doing it wrong.

It gets better and better every time.

Making me think about it again.

AzSuperhack and I might not agree on Quintero but I agree with him completely here. I have played every single course in the metro area, both public and private and I'd put Wickenburg Ranch in the Top 10 with ease. Not 100% sure it is top 5 but it is right there.

If you don't play Wickenburg Ranch because you think the drive is too much, you're 100% doing it wrong.

AzSuperhack and I might not agree on Quintero but I agree with him completely here. I have played every single course in the metro area, both public and private and I'd put Wickenburg Ranch in the Top 10 with ease. Not 100% sure it is top 5 but it is right there.

Ok. Remembering I haven't been there in 13 years, and am only familar with the Chandler area, how is the drive up there. Would I be fighting traffic all the way. Someone said its about an hour and a half each way?

Ok. Remembering I haven't been there in 13 years, and am only familar with the Chandler area, how is the drive up there. Would I be fighting traffic all the way. Someone said its about an hour and a half each way?

Simple drive as long as not during rush hour.

Seems about right, it's 45 minutes from my place in N. Peoria, an hour from N. Scottsdale. I wouldn't have a problem driving 2 hours for it.

Went with a buddy who's a member out at Whisper Rock and he was thoroughly impressed. Said they were the best greens open to public play that he's seen.

The back nine to me is one of the best set of nine holes in the valley. After walking off 18 it makes you want to head right back out and do it all over again.

This is making it awfully difficult to not choose it for my third course.

Absolutely the right choice. You need to plan in advance as tee times aren't that easy to come by.

Thanks AZ, thats good to know. It will probably have to be Tuesday or Wendesday as I don't want to take a chance with traffic in Thursdat since I fly out that day. Do either of those days have leagues or anything like that?

Played toka sticks today, the greens there are PURE! The more I play it the more I like it, they had tourney pins set today and there are some really difficult hole locations out there and some interesting short game shots you need to play. $34 via teeoff at 10am, really good shape teeth green despite being a somewhat pedestrian layout on paper

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

Played Moon Valley CC yesterday greens good bunkers ok fairways good. I told Forelife it's like a longer and nicer version of Ahwatukee CC. I like the traditional parkland style nothing really goofy about it other than two green complexes had school buses buried underneath them.

From a membership standpoint there's a few things that would bug me

Range is not very long even I was bouncing drives to the back edge of the back tee box 275 or so out There very very extreme about charging cart fees even if a member jumps in a partners cart mid round. They charge for soda refills in the restaurant? Seriously who does that anymore.

If i was looking for a good budget place to join i would strongly consider it as an option. Pretty easy to walk and avoid cart fees until summer hits. Good enough layout to enjoy plenty of tee combo's if you wanted to mix up yardage and change it up every now and then.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

That is gonna be the killer at GCU now, anything other that the first groups off will become unbearable with the new bunkering. I did enjoy it more when we played it super early but I still think they wasted a whole lot of money on completely pointless bunkers that only slow down the hacks

It is slow. I live 10 minutes away so I went around 3:30 yesterday and played 9. It cost me $25 to walk. Not great but I could have played more as it wasn't a 9 hole rate. If I had stayed I could have gotten in about 12-13 holes. I actually got 11 in as I replayed 14-15. They had me start on the back. So I could have gotten in 14-15 holes. It was clear until I caught a group on 15 so I played them again. It was fun. The greens were bumpier. End of the day. But more receptive than a month ago. I was going to play the AZ Stroke Play but seeing as it will be tipped out most likely I decided against it. I played the tips for 11 holes and it was fun but very long. I don't have that kind of game for 4 days. Or even 2. I love the course even more the second time out. I'm joining the Men's Club with a buddy soon. Good schedule of tournaments.

TItleist 917 D3 Diamana D+ 70s
Ping G 25 15* Diamana D+ 70s
Callaway Apex 20* Kuro Kage
Titleist 714 CB 4-PW DG s300
SM5 56/60 M Grind
Studio Select Newport 2

Played Moon Valley CC yesterday greens good bunkers ok fairways good. I told Forelife it's like a longer and nicer version of Ahwatukee CC. I like the traditional parkland style nothing really goofy about it other than two green complexes had school buses buried underneath them.

From a membership standpoint there's a few things that would bug me

Range is not very long even I was bouncing drives to the back edge of the back tee box 275 or so out There very very extreme about charging cart fees even if a member jumps in a partners cart mid round. They charge for soda refills in the restaurant? Seriously who does that anymore.

If i was looking for a good budget place to join i would strongly consider it as an option. Pretty easy to walk and avoid cart fees until summer hits. Good enough layout to enjoy plenty of tee combo's if you wanted to mix up yardage and change it up every now and then.

Played it a week ago and got the same impression about the course (I'm considering joining). Pretty good shape all around, greens were good and pretty quick at around an 11.5. Course was fun with a good assortment of holes. Would be good for my wife since it isn't too difficult. The up front price is really good, especially for a Jr Membership at $320 something a month, no initiation.

I definitely picked up that it was a nickel and dime you to death kind of place though. You should see their price list. It seems like they charge you for every possible thing they can outside of the basic, golf, tennis, pool, fitness center access. It's actually why we haven't signed up yet. I'm still debating if I want to get in the middle of that. It's really more of a $500ish a month membership when you account for all the little fees.

Lookout Mtn 2 weekends ago. Like everyone said .... the layout is just weird. Too many holes where I can't use the driver. Teed off around 11am fri and it was like a 5 hour round. Not fun.

Kierland last friday. Resort golf at it's finest. Played Ironwood and Acacia (the best two 9's IMO. Beautiful day. Pace was fine. Conditions perfect as usual.

Played the Phoenician a month ago. BEVERAGES ARE WAY OVERPRICED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Papago today. Really really good maybe even better than a couple weeks ago. Pins in really bad spots though had too many putts less than 10 feet that were 2 feet plus of break.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Played in the mens club event at Maryvale this last Saturday. 5 hour round teeing off at 10:30. The greens are def more receptive than before and have slowed down significantly since they first opened. I'd imagine it's because the temps are rising and the dormant grass is coming back through. Still a great course. I've been told they are permanently starting on 10 and have ordered new signs for the course.

Ping G430 Max 10k

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Titleist T100 4-P
Vokey SM9 50* 54* 60* 
Ping Oslo

Played in the mens club event at Maryvale this last Saturday. 5 hour round teeing off at 10:30. The greens are def more receptive than before and have slowed down significantly since they first opened. I'd imagine it's because the temps are rising and the dormant grass is coming back through. Still a great course. I've been told they are permanently starting on 10 and have ordered new signs for the course.

I am fine with the change in routing...ending on a birdiable par 5 rather than a longish par 4 always makes for a more fun round imo. They really just need to get that place moving faster. I cannot stay interested in golf past 4:15. Truly even that is a struggle.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

Aguila today with visiting Wrx member dead solid shank, great round and course was in good shape. You guys know how I feel about it by now, just love the course and shots to play out there. Great company too, really enjoyed the round Tom!

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

Aguila today with visiting Wrx member dead solid shank, great round and course was in good shape. You guys know how I feel about it by now, just love the course and shots to play out there. Great company too, really enjoyed the round Tom!

Good call on the course and I appreciate you joining me. Fun watching you hit it!

Disappointed in my game, but the course and company made up for it. Thanks again Mark, hopefully it won't be 13 years before I'm back again. And be sure to let me know if you do make it up to Denver.

Bummed i had to work haven't played aguila this year yet.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

I still think the only real negative to Aguila comes when playing later in the day on weekends. The music that emanates from the nearby park really kills the atmosphere. It's a rock solid layout and the city keeps it in surprisingly good shape. I think I paid around $30 to walk it last Saturday. Killer deal.

I would probably play it several times a month if it was a little closer to my house.

I still think the only real negative to Aguila comes when playing later in the day on weekends. The music that emanates from the nearby park really kills the atmosphere. It's a rock solid layout and the city keeps it in surprisingly good shape. I think I paid around $30 to walk it last Saturday. Killer deal.

I would probably play it several times a month if it was a little closer to my house.

Maybe the only real negative is all the golfers taking up potential park space for the community and families; driving recklessly while young children play nearby and acting as if they are better than the folks in the park. btw...not directing at you, only what i have experienced.