2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Feedback from other Seniors Requested:

rony

Hello Guys,

Well, I knew it was just a matter of time. I'm 74, still have a very nice game, index is around 14 now. Up until last season I averaged 50 (18 Hole) walking rounds per year, for the last 10 years. I decided in 2015 that it would be prudent to cut that in half. Due to warm fall weather up until Christmas on Long Island, I played 30 rounds. After the 29th round, I felt some pain in the right shoulder. I am a Right Handed Player. I played one more round and it was fine. After the last round, it started to hurt more and I was afraid that I had Rotator Cuff damage. It was NOT severe pain rather annoying discomfort. I could still raise my right arm but it would hurt halfway up but I could extend it all the way up with no further pain. Could NOT figure out what this was from because, ANYBODY who has seen me play, will tell you that I have a beautiful tempo swing and I use my big muscles to power my swing from my body coil. I am NOT an arm swinger!

I am a Viet Nam Combat Vet and I get my Medical care from the VA and I must say, they take good care of me!! They scheduled X-Rays for me today to take a "Look See." The Report was sent to my Primary Care PACT 5 Team immediately and I received this E Mail from the RN in Primary Car

"Very mild arthritis in the joint. No fractures or dislocations noted. I'll ask the doctor to enter the consult for physical therapy."

Aside from a hearing impairment from gunfire, I enjoy good health and have never taken any medication in my life for anything. I BELIEVE that this was good news considering what it could have been, but was wondering if anybody knows anything about this from a golfing perspective? Thought I'd check with the other seniors! Thanks.

:golfer:

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best
G10 Pings - D 9*, 3W 15.5*, H 18*, 4-PW, 50*, 54*, 58*
Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I really don't have much information yet. They will call me to schedule PT. I have taken a few liquid Aleve since this started and it really did help. I just have to be able to play. I'm an old "Jock." For me it was Baseball and Golf from 8 years old through college. Tennis and Golf from around 25 to 60. Now it's just Golf! I have to be swinging something or I'll go nuts! (LOL)

Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

I have had periods of pain and soreness in both hands and wrists since before I retired from the Navy in 97. (old hand & wrist injuries) The pain turned into throbbing, and seemed to be more constant around 2008. I went to see the doc's at the Navy hospital. The Navy hospital did a few xrays and confirmed arthritis. They told me that the best medicine for my type of arthritis was to keep them busy, but not to abuse them. They showed me a few simple wrist (flexing) exercises that seem to really help when whenever I had pain setting in. It never prevented me from playing golf, but I had to be carefull playing courses with hard fairways.

Hello Guys,

Well, I knew it was just a matter of time. I'm 74, still have a very nice game, index is around 14 now. Up until last season I averaged 50 (18 Hole) walking rounds per year, for the last 10 years. I decided in 2015 that it would be prudent to cut that in half. Due to warm fall weather up until Christmas on Long Island, I played 30 rounds. After the 29th round, I felt some pain in the right shoulder. I am a Right Handed Player. I played one more round and it was fine. After the last round, it started to hurt more and I was afraid that I had Rotator Cuff damage. It was NOT severe pain rather annoying discomfort. I could still raise my right arm but it would hurt halfway up but I could extend it all the way up with no further pain. Could NOT figure out what this was from because, ANYBODY who has seen me play, will tell you that I have a beautiful tempo swing and I use my big muscles to power my swing from my body coil. I am NOT an arm swinger!

I am a Viet Nam Combat Vet and I get my Medical care from the VA and I must say, they take good care of me!! They scheduled X-Rays for me today to take a "Look See." The Report was sent to my Primary Care PACT 5 Team immediately and I received this E Mail from the RN in Primary Car

"Very mild arthritis in the joint. No fractures or dislocations noted. I'll ask the doctor to enter the consult for physical therapy."

Aside from a hearing impairment from gunfire, I enjoy good health and have never taken any medication in my life for anything. I BELIEVE that this was good news considering what it could have been, but was wondering if anybody knows anything about this from a golfing perspective? Thought I'd check with the other seniors! Thanks.

Thank you for your combat military service. I'm a US Army vet, although never made it to Vietnam. I helped keep Fort Knox. KY safe for democracy. (Was a cook)I'm 63, walk briskly exclusively with a 5-7 club minimalist kit. I play mostly vintage. The last couple years, I've played the most golf of my life, and the best golf of my life. I developed left shoulder pain (I'm a lefty.) in the last several years, sometimes severe and sometimes just annoying. I'm a blockhead, try to stay away from any doctors. Chiropractors have helped my back and shoulders in the past. I'm long overdue for some chiropractic, my last visit in June.

I have pain all over, shoulders, legs, lower back. With over 150 (18) rounds in 2015, it's to be expected. The winter gives a welcome relief to heal oneself. Two years ago, my left shoulder and arm hurt so much and over a week or so, I drove myself to the ER, thinking heart attack. I was rushed in like the president, given a clean bill of health, and sent home. Was given some prednisone as a prescription, can't recommend it, for it seemed to affect me with anxiety. Quit taking it after two days. Advil and Excedrin are my pain relievers of choice. (take, with food or Tums, with lots of water. Try to take as little as possible.)

For the last two months, I've experience left knee and leg pain. Much better as I write this, since I haven't golfed for two weeks. Rest is the best medicine.

In a nutshell, golf is bad for the structural system, just look at guys like Tiger and Phil. Arthritis is inevitable with old age. The best advice I can give anyone, "If you're hurting, don't golf." A week off is a small price to pay to keep away from surgery or worse. Nobody, but nobody, loves golf more than I do, but I'd quit, rather than rotator cuff or back surgery. Just my opinion.

Best Wishes, Sir.

X-ray images are limited in diagnostic value. They only reveal actual boney changes; e.g. fracture, osteoarthritis, dislocation, tumor, cyst, increased or decreased bone density, and some others. X-ray will not reveal soft tissue changes; e.g. injury or pathology related to ligaments, tendons, cartilage, muscle, joint space, etc. MRI ( magnetic resonance imaging ) is required to better assess soft tissue issues. Continued pain or limit of motion, especially if persists after physical therapy might warrant further evaluation.

Hello Guys,

Thank you for your combat military service. I'm a US Army vet, although never made it to Vietnam. I helped keep Fort Knox. KY safe for democracy. (Was a cook)I'm 63, walk briskly exclusively with a 5-7 club minimalist kit. I play mostly vintage. The last couple years, I've played the most golf of my life, and the best golf of my life. I developed left shoulder pain (I'm a lefty.) in the last several years, sometimes severe and sometimes just annoying. I'm a blockhead, try to stay away from any doctors. Chiropractors have helped my back and shoulders in the past. I'm long overdue for some chiropractic, my last visit in June.

I have pain all over, shoulders, legs, lower back. With over 150 (18) rounds in 2015, it's to be expected. The winter gives a welcome relief to heal oneself. Two years ago, my left shoulder and arm hurt so much and over a week or so, I drove myself to the ER, thinking heart attack. I was rushed in like the president, given a clean bill of health, and sent home. Was given some prednisone as a prescription, can't recommend it, for it seemed to affect me with anxiety. Quit taking it after two days. Advil and Excedrin are my pain relievers of choice. (take, with food or Tums, with lots of water. Try to take as little as possible.)

For the last two months, I've experience left knee and leg pain. Much better as I write this, since I haven't golfed for two weeks. Rest is the best medicine.

In a nutshell, golf is bad for the structural system, just look at guys like Tiger and Phil. Arthritis is inevitable with old age. The best advice I can give anyone, "If you're hurting, don't golf." A week off is a small price to pay to keep away from surgery or worse. Nobody, but nobody, loves golf more than I do, but I'd quit, rather than rotator cuff or back surgery. Just my opinion.

Best Wishes, Sir.

Great Post!! Thank you very much and thanks to all the other guys also. I am relieved to hear this feedback because as others have said, GOLF is what seems to keep me going and keeps me young, or at least "Feeling Young." (LOL) It helps that I am fortunate to still have a good game. To be CLEAR however; when I say a good game I mean: Middle Tee, ONLY 200 yard carry with Driver, ONLY 140 carry with 7 Iron. My strength however is "Accuracy." I am ALWAYS in the fairway and very seldom lose a ball. But I DO love it and wish to continue. I have already been called by the VA with my Physical Therapy order submitted, and they have told me that they will show me the exercises and warm ups that should become a regular part of my playing golf from now on, along with the proper pain reliever to take. I never take Aspirin, Tylenol, Ibuprofen or anything like that so I don't really know much about them. Bottom line: I now understand that Mild Osteoarthritis in my Right Shoulder comes with aging, and in my case from Repetitive Athletic Motion. Looking forward to returning to the course as soon as the warm weather returns. :wave:

Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

• 2 weeks later...

My doctor told me I should play MORE golf if you suffer from arthritis. Him and my chiropractor seem to agree that the more you keep moving the better off you are.

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Redwood Anser

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

i am a few years older than the original poster. I would suggest a couple of ADVIL (or similar meds),before teeing off. Do some stretches before you drive to the golf course. Hit about a dozen full swing practice balls and a few chips and putts . Have additional painkillers in your golf bag. If you start to ache or feel tight while swinging, don't wait till it hurts to take a pill. Remember, you're fortunate to hit a few good shots and view the divots from above the grass

CHARLEY PENNA

go see a physical therapist. They gave my 89 year old man a theraband and stretching exercises and he's back on the course in FL right now. He had sciatic and didn't play all summer until getting epidural shot. That and the PT regimen helped a LOT. I'm 58 and use theraband for rotary cuff exercise, I also do yoga type stretching every day. Yoga type stretching has helped me over the last 20+ years I've been doing it. ALL golfers over 40 should do stretching class once a week at least, and do 5 mins. every day.

I'm 69 and stretching is your friend. Take a Yoga class if you can. The benefits to your golf game and health are unmeasurable.

I have learned after PT at the VA Hospital that what you have said is absolutely correct!! I have been doing the PT stretching exercises for 1 week and the pain has already disappeared. I will continue however. I'm a dyed in the wool lifetime "Jock", and long ago I learned that PT is the answer. It requires discipline! No work.....No play!! Thanks for your post. Wise Words for sure!! :clapping:

Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

i turned 70 in october last year--spent my bday in new york!!--and have been suffering from arthritis for a few years now...

i still play decent golf considering my 58 years in the game but can no longer walk long distances before my legs and lower back start to bother me so i have no choice but to use a cart nowadays..

i still play once or twice a week unless i'm preparing for a tournament but need at least a one day break between rounds whenever possible which is the normal format for the senior or club events i enter nowadays anyway...

my ortho doctor has advised me that arthritis is not really curable but painkillers and anti-inflammatory pills can help..

i normally take an anti-inflammatory pill labeled "arcoxia"(60 mg) the day before i play and always have anti-cramp and painreliver pills in my bag..

my doc has also approved my taking 30mg of arcoxia as a daily maintenance pill but i still only take it when i know i will be playing golf the next day or anticipate a lot of walking in my other activities like small game hunting( bow/.22 air rifle/ruger 10/22), joining an archery event or even going to the mall...

i guess we just have to do what we have to do to continue to enjoy our remaining years and hope for the best...

am still careful about my diet and other stuff and this also helps not making things worse...

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

+ to all the aboves. The key I think is finding how to control the inflammation. I've had two of the epidurals because I let the sciatica go too long and built up too much inflammation. And after that I was going to a chiropractor 2, sometimes 3 times a week for about a year before I got straightened out.

Never want to get in that shape again.

I will talk to my doc about the arcoxia. Haven't been able to bow hunt in a few years. Would be nice to be able too again.

i will be checking this thread from time to time from now on for any new advice for i can use to help with our common ailment!!

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Cleveland 588 56/60

I seem to benefit from warming up the trouble area with a heat wrap before my morning routine. I use the microwaveable type. A few years ago I was traveling and didn't have a wrap with me. One of my Asian colleagues suggested I take a tube sock, fill in with rice, then heat it up. Works just as well as any store-bought models. I have one that I have modified, by adding 4 or 5 old golf balls to, and use it as a variation on the foam roller theme. It really works the trigger points.

Shouldn't be commenting ITT, because I'm lucky in that I don't have any major afflictions. But......

Big fan of the "rice bag". The Mrs. has several. Couple of minutes in the microwave to heat it up. Feels wonderful on an achy shoulder or neck.

Always try to take (when I remember) two ibuprofen one hour before a round. Think it helps to loosen up the muscles somewhat before playing. Defiantly helps with aches post round. Especially early in the year when one is getting the lower back muscles into golf shape.

Take one Glucosamine and Fish Oil capsule daily. Suppose to help with joint pain/discomfort. (With no scientific evidence to support this allegedly). Since I do not (yet) have these symptoms, I continue to take them. Just because.

Big fan of the Thera-Band/Thera-Bar products mentioned ^. Discovered these while looking for remedies for a nagging (borderline debilitating) "tennis elbow" condition a couple of seasons ago. Two weeks of using the Thera-Bar essentially "cured" the condition. Now used for routine maintenance and strengthening. The Thera-Band is a wonderfully simple resistive exercise device that I use with regularity for stretching and strengthening. Cheap, simple, works. (No, I'm not affiliated). Couldn't find them locally, bought online.

Extending best wishes to everyone as you work through your various ailments. Closing in on 65 myself, wondering when it will be my turn. All the "buds" seemingly have something going on. Feel left out when the 19th hole conversation turns to the meds they're taking.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

i will be checking this thread from time to time from now on for any new advice for i can use to help with our common ailment!!

BTW - I am 1/2 Filipino. We had a second home in Manila. My reg golf partner is full Filipino. He just got back from 3 week visit. (Batac)

Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

Hi

65 here and I've developed a mild arthritis in my right shoulder too. I stay in good health, average 80+ rounds a year.

I agree with two putt.... Try yoga. Will keep you limber and mitigate the inevetable aging process.

Its just not fair!!!! Lol!

I take aleve for the discomfort. Its naproxen. Better for you than ibuprofen (bad for liver/kidneys).

Callaway Rogue 10.5* Synergy 50R

Ping G430 5W 

Callaway Edge 24* Hybrid R
Mizuno JPX921HM w/Recoil 780S 6-LW

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11
Vice Pro Plus

Just an update on my current condition. I've been complaining about my left knee and leg, hurting for the last couple months. This has seemed to subside, since I haven't been golfing all month. BUT, my left shoulder and arm has been hurting for five days now, just like it did when I went to the ER three years ago, identical symptoms. It's rotator cuff, no doubt. One of the guys I know is getting his operated on later this month. His pain is worse while in bed, like mine. Doc told him he'll be away from golf for six months.

Last Friday, I raised this heavy industrial wooden garage door, where I keep my old 76 Monaco stored. Next day, my shoulder pain returned. No pain at the time of opening the door. I've been taking a couple Advil when absolutely necessary, try to keep to 2 a day. PDR states that the prescription dose of Advil is 800 mg, every 6 hours. That's a lot of medicine. I've never tried that much, for I know I'd get immediate ulcers, have had ulcers off and on for thirty years.

It's really tough getting old. At 63, if I didn't have the arthritis and related pains, I'd feel pretty good. I hope I can continue to play golf, walking briskly. When I was in the ER three years ago, the lady doctor told me that my heart was in excellent condition due to golf, but golf has been a major factor in my skeletal decline.

I guess I'd rather have arthritis related problems, rather than heart and cardio. I know I need more chiropractic treatment, but it seems like a lifelong commitment, at least to the two guys I've gone to.

Old age isn't for sissies.

I agree that this Forum is great for a Senior Golfer to monitor. After two weeks with slight discomfort, I now believe that it is not the very small amount of arthritis in my AC shoulder joint that is the cause of some discomfort. I really believe it is some type of shoulder strain due to the amount of golf that I played last season. I have averaged 60 rounds per year for the last 12 years and I am 74. However, this is just what I think and I am not sure yet. I am being supervised by the Occupational Therapy Dept at the VA Hospital and they gave me 2 stretch exercises to do twice a day and I have to go in for an hour with them twice a week for 3 weeks so that they can track my progress. They said every situation is different and they have to see what works for me. (One good benefit from my service in the Army is that I get everything free from the VA and they treat me really great!) They gave me the microwave heat wrap to use prior to stretching. I have only been doing this for i week and the shoulder feels much better already. However it can be felt sometimes at night if I am sleeping in the wrong position. I take NO medication of any kind and am very fit and trim BUT......I did take a liquid Aleve the other night, and that made the discomfort go away completely!! WOW! I took that because one of my friends is a Podiatrist, and he said that the liquid Ibuprofen works much better than the tablets for pain. I DO however understand that I now have a very small amount of "Wear & Tear" Arthritis in the AC joint, and I also understand that once you get ANY type of Arthritis......It's yours for the rest of your days. If there is a good part it is: Everybody tells me that when the discomfort is gone I MUST stay active. Get back on the golf course, but I have to learn the correct warm up and/or Ibuprofen to take before and after playing. FWIW: If my golf game was not good, I would just take this in stride as part of getting older and not be so concerned. However, I STILL have a good solid game and like all of us here on Golfwrx, if I couldn't play golf, I would become depressed very quickly!! Golf keeps me healthy, fit, active, and lets me be out there with the guys!!!!

Attn: All Senior Golfers: ALL input from others is very valuable. We all love golf and benefit from advice and information provided. We have to stick together here and look out and help each other! Thanks and keep hitting them long and straight.........well, perhaps I should just say.....Straight! (LOL) :good:

Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

Just an update on my current condition. I've been complaining about my left knee and leg, hurting for the last couple months. This has seemed to subside, since I haven't been golfing all month. BUT, my left shoulder and arm has been hurting for five days now, just like it did when I went to the ER three years ago, identical symptoms. It's rotator cuff, no doubt. One of the guys I know is getting his operated on later this month. His pain is worse while in bed, like mine. Doc told him he'll be away from golf for six months.

Last Friday, I raised this heavy industrial wooden garage door, where I keep my old 76 Monaco stored. Next day, my shoulder pain returned. No pain at the time of opening the door. I've been taking a couple Advil when absolutely necessary, try to keep to 2 a day. PDR states that the prescription dose of Advil is 800 mg, every 6 hours. That's a lot of medicine. I've never tried that much, for I know I'd get immediate ulcers, have had ulcers off and on for thirty years.

It's really tough getting old. At 63, if I didn't have the arthritis and related pains, I'd feel pretty good. I hope I can continue to play golf, walking briskly. When I was in the ER three years ago, the lady doctor told me that my heart was in excellent condition due to golf, but golf has been a major factor in my skeletal decline.

I guess I'd rather have arthritis related problems, rather than heart and cardio. I know I need more chiropractic treatment, but it seems like a lifelong commitment, at least to the two guys I've gone to.

Old age isn't for sissies.

Don't assume that you have a Rotator Cuff tear. I thought the same thing. I learned that a Cuff Tear is usually caused by a fall with extreme trauma and NOT simply Repetitive Athletic Motion. You are still young now. Get to a doctor and get it checked out. Good luck!

Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

BTW - I am 1/2 Filipino. We had a second home in Manila. My reg golf partner is full Filipino. He just got back from 3 week visit. (Batac)

hi rony!!..well i'm at least 100% Filipino myself....he he he!!

was in westchester county new york last october for a couple of weeks and it was unusually cold for that time of the year with several days in the 30s and 40s and even one day in the 20s and that didn't help my arthritis at all..

there was however a short warm stretch when it was in the high 60s and was able to play 9 holes in the late afternoon at the Sprain Lake Golf Club just for the exercise..

i have also had a quad bypass in may 2009 but that is not really an issue with the golf but must of course be careful playing in too much heat which we're getting here lately..

will be playing tomorrow at noon and will go for my usual regimen of 1 60mg arcoxia when i awake and perhaps an anti-cramp/pain reliever pill at the turn..

been averaging about 65-70 rounds the past 2 years but have really cut down on my range sessions since last year..

am scheduled to play two tournaments in feb and march involving 2 rounds over 3 days so am also buildng up my resistance for that..

i know that playing more golf can only be good for my health and i'm trying my best to be able to do that....

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Cleveland 588 56/60

hi rony!!..well i'm at least 100% Filipino myself....he he he!!

was in westchester county new york last october for a couple of weeks and it was unusually cold for that time of the year with several days in the 30s and 40s and even one day in the 20s and that didn't help my arthritis at all..

there was however a short warm stretch when it was in the high 60s and was able to play 9 holes in the late afternoon at the Sprain Lake Golf Club just for the exercise..

i have also had a quad bypass in may 2009 but that is not really an issue with the golf but must of course be careful playing in too much heat which we're getting here lately..

will be playing tomorrow at noon and will go for my usual regimen of 1 60mg arcoxia when i awake and perhaps an anti-cramp/pain reliever pill at the turn..

been averaging about 65-70 rounds the past 2 years but have really cut down on my range sessions since last year..

am scheduled to play two tournaments in feb and march involving 2 rounds over 3 days so am also buildng up my resistance for that..

i know that playing more golf can only be good for my health and i'm trying my best to be able to do that....

JM: My partner is 65 and when he was 46 years old, he also had a quad bypass as well as a Kidney transplant. The donor was his youngest son because it was a perfect match. I walk all of my rounds, and he rides because he can not walk that much and he is a bit overweight. He is however a very good player. Aside from the big scar on his leg and moving a bit slower than others, you'd never know it. The good part for him is: He is extremely wealthy!!! (LOL)

Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

Made the journey across the bridge out of the city to Mt. P. and Play It Again this morning. My younger son had told me they were selling new Teeter Hangups at a good price.

Tried one out in the store and ended up purchasing one. Just got off a session and I must say they are as advertised. Felt the same type of decompression action that I get on the torture rack at the chiropractor.

I have developed, for the first time, golfers elbow, in my lead arm. I spent way to much practice time the last few days on really compressing punch shots. Any ideas other that RICE and pills?