Personal Launch Monitors

BennyDTD

Just wondering if anyone has used personal launch monitors? I know that the GC2 and Trackman etc are all very expensive and generally out of the status quo' price range. I'm looking at buying the ES12/14 for use at the range/home. Not really looking for spin rates and all the really in depth info a monitor is generally used for, more so just to get an accurate average per club for carry distance. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the es12 works pretty good. I compared it to Trackman the other day and the carry distance were wishing 2-3 yards of each other

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

I believe EA Sports will be releasing a new ES15 next week at the PGA Show. I'm curious to see it, as I was interested in the ES14

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

For me my sc100 and zepp are perfect for practicing at the range. Helps me compare clubs, gap clubs and gets my swing working great. If i want video, just setup my ipad.

On the greens my laser putter has really helped me stop pulling my putts.

Its really amazing the technology what is coming out for cheap.

I really dont see the need for a coach, just learn to fix your own swing using all this great technology that is out there.

Mizuno ST-Max 10.5 Smoke RDX 50 5.5, AI Smoke 10.5 with HZRDOUS RDX RED 50 5.5

Mizuno ST-MaX 5 stock Kail'l R

Mizuno ST-Max 7 stock Kail'l R

AI Smoke HL 7-AW Nippon Neo 85

AI Smoke 7/8 Hybrid HZRDOUS Siver 65 Gen 4 5.5

Cleveland Full Face 52

Cleveland Full Face 56

Odyssey Jailbird 380

Titelist prov1x/Callaway Chrome Soft

Just wondering if anyone has used personal launch monitors? I know that the GC2 and Trackman etc are all very expensive and generally out of the status quo' price range. I'm looking at buying the ES12/14 for use at the range/home. Not really looking for spin rates and all the really in depth info a monitor is generally used for, more so just to get an accurate average per club for carry distance. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Skytrac, Best bang for the Buck.. Hands down

]Skytrac, Best bang for the Buck.. Hands down

I don't disagree that SkyTrak has a lot to offer but IMO the operation and software are probably six months away from allowing it to be a polished product.

Issues include, the ongoing subscription model, the reality what lies behind the subscription especially for practice is not very well implemented. Lastly the subscription licience is currently retained in the software on the actual SkyTrack unit, this means the unit needs to be switched on to validate the licence when simply reviewing previous session. I also had permission issues at the range preventing access to the subscription features, which was very frustrating.

Cheers

Haven't heard of Skytrac, will look it up! Thanks

Cheers

Didn't realise it was $2000! Was looking for something around the $300-$400 mark.

I believe EA Sports will be releasing a new ES15 next week at the PGA Show. I'm curious to see it, as I was interested in the ES14

The ES 15 is a driving range product, the new model is the ES 16 but it is in the Flightscope Xi/Xi+ category.

Thanks, I didn't realize that.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

Questions about the ES 12 and SC 100:

Since it measures off of ball speed, if you use crappy range balls will it return crappy distances? I guess the real question here is the ball speed of a range ball significantly different from a premium ball just after impact?

Also, can you seriously not adjust for the loft of your irons? This seems like a huge issue if you are unable to tell the machine what loft your PW is. I don't see this mentioned in any reviews.

G400 LST 8.5* Ventus Blue 6x 🐐 
UW 17* Smoke 70s

Fli-Hi 19* Smoke 80s
223 4-G KBS Tour 120s
RTX ZC 56.12 / 60.09 ff DG Spinner

FTP SM1 0* loft / 400g / SS GT 1.0 

Questions about the ES 12 and SC 100: Since it measures off of ball speed, if you use crappy range balls will it return crappy distances? I guess the real question here is the ball speed of a range ball significantly different from a premium ball just after impact? Also, can you seriously not adjust for the loft of your irons? This seems like a huge issue if you are unable to tell the machine what loft your PW is. I don't see this mentioned in any reviews.

You can not change the loft in the ES12. It is based off of presets, which are as follows.

The lofts for the ES12 are:

Iron Degrees

Drv 10.5

3Wd 13

5Wd 16

Hyb 19

2Ir 17

3 19

4 22

5 25

6 29

7 33

8 37

9 42

P 46

G 50

S 55

L 60

Awesome thanks. Just what I was looking for. I wonder why they do it that way. Surely it can't be that expensive or complicated to allow the user to input their own lofts?

Seems like a deal breaker to me

G400 LST 8.5* Ventus Blue 6x 🐐 
UW 17* Smoke 70s

Fli-Hi 19* Smoke 80s
223 4-G KBS Tour 120s
RTX ZC 56.12 / 60.09 ff DG Spinner

FTP SM1 0* loft / 400g / SS GT 1.0 

The ES 15 is a driving range product, the new model is the ES 16 but it is in the Flightscope Xi/Xi+ category.

Flightscope tracks the ball and club and measures all parameters measured by Trackman or Flightscope X2. They just don't report them on the Xi models.

ES 16 does not track the ball until it lands nor any other measurements of the club other than AOA.

You might want to consider an old vector pro in your $500 price range. Pain to set up but pretty good accuracy on the important variables :

* ballspeed

* spin

* launch

Early ES models (before the ES16) don't measure spin or launch but just predict it for a standard player.

Or maybe you can pick up a used Skytrak for $800 - $1000. this will be very accurate on these variables

Is there anything cheap that does a good job with spin and ball speed that's accurate?

Cheap is relative, that being said spin is a tricky one. The cheapest device I know of that will give you pretty accurate ball data has been mentioned it is a used Vector Pro (or X). I doubt you will find a combination of accuracy and affordability at the ebay price point of the Vector's.

G425 Max 9*o w/ RIP Beta
TEE CBX19 16.5*
Sub70 699U 19.5*
P770 5-P
Exo #7

Can anyone list what each gadget can actually do well? Accurately etc....

I think that the first step for evaluating any monitor is to understand what each monitor measures vs. what it calculates.

I have a Skytrak and I am really happy with both its consistency and what I perceive to be accurate measurements of spin, ball speed, and launch angle. Some people didn't like their original ball flight algorithm with certain clubs, but I feel pretty good about what I see on the screen these days.

Lower-priced devices (ES12, ES14, Voicecaddie) only measure ballspeed. Through other reviews, I am pretty convinced that they do this accurately, but since launch angle and spin are fixed variables in their ballflight equations, they are not accurate. They don't know if you thinned a shot, for example. For them, they just take the ballspeed of that shot and plug it into their model. Skytrak (and those more expensive brands) sees that difference, however.

At the sub GC2 price point, I am happy with where I ended up.

I won an ES14 in a giveaway here a little while back, you can find my thoughts on it here:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1126317-winners-es14-es12-launch-monitors-from-ernest-sports-plus-promo-code/page__st__30#entry11008845

If you have any questions, I'll pop back into this thread and answer what I can.

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

There aren't actually that many products,

Radar - Trackman, Flightscope

Photometric - GC2(Foresight), Skytrak (Rapsodo)

Radar & Photometric - ES16(Ernest Sports)

Radar measures both club and ball (outside!), most photometric give good ball data plus GC2 has an addon to give club data. There are pro's and con's to all of those I've listed. But the big takeaway from doing a bunch of research is this; if you are limited by space you are better off sticking to a Photometric monitor. That is about it. All of the big 3 (trackman, flightscope, GC2) do what they say they can do and do it well. The other two well are not proven yet.

I won't go into the cheaper devices as I don't consider these to be launch monitors. They can do a good job at measuring ball speed (especially the SC-100) but that is about it. Ball speed != launch monitor regardless of what kind of algorithm you feed that speed into to give you made up numbers. I also didn't go into all the other simulator devices which can give very good data as well.

Check out golfsimulatorforum.com for more info into some of these other devices.

G425 Max 9*o w/ RIP Beta
TEE CBX19 16.5*
Sub70 699U 19.5*
P770 5-P
Exo #7

Is there anything cheap that does a good job with spin and ball speed that's accurate?

Cheap is relative, that being said spin is a tricky one. The cheapest device I know of that will give you pretty accurate ball data has been mentioned it is a used Vector Pro (or X). I doubt you will find a combination of accuracy and affordability at the ebay price point of the Vector's.

I would LOVE IT if what you said is actually true because I just bought a used Vector Pro at the end of last year, and I haven't had the opportunity to use it yet. However, from my understanding, it doesn't do a great job of either ball speed or spin. I didn't buy it for that capability. But if it is even in the ballpark for either of these I would be happy, but I suspect it isn't.

I would LOVE IT if what you said is actually true because I just bought a used Vector Pro at the end of last year, and I haven't had the opportunity to use it yet. However, from my understanding, it doesn't do a great job of either ball speed or spin. I didn't buy it for that capability. But if it is even in the ballpark for either of these I would be happy, but I suspect it isn't.

All it does is give you ball data. Spin and Ball speed are basically all it does. The vector guys are the tech behind the Skytrak well the tech part not Skygolf's piss poor roll out, customer service, or terrible SDK.

G425 Max 9*o w/ RIP Beta
TEE CBX19 16.5*
Sub70 699U 19.5*
P770 5-P
Exo #7

There aren't actually that many products,

Radar - Trackman, Flightscope

Photometric - GC2(Foresight), Skytrak (Rapsodo)

Radar & Photometric - ES16(Ernest Sports)

Radar measures both club and ball (outside!), most photometric give good ball data plus GC2 has an addon to give club data. There are pro's and con's to all of those I've listed. But the big takeaway from doing a bunch of research is this; if you are limited by space you are better off sticking to a Photometric monitor. That is about it. All of the big 3 (trackman, flightscope, GC2) do what they say they can do and do it well. The other two well are not proven yet.

I won't go into the cheaper devices as I don't consider these to be launch monitors. They can do a good job at measuring ball speed (especially the SC-100) but that is about it. Ball speed != launch monitor regardless of what kind of algorithm you feed that speed into to give you made up numbers. I also didn't go into all the other simulator devices which can give very good data as well.

Check out golfsimulatorforum.com for more info into some of these other devices.

So what would work in limited space? Say my garage ?