2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Phoenix in Febrary!

deadsolid...shank

Finally, after not having been back to the valley for 13'years I'm going for three days in February. Tuesday Feb 22 through Thursday the 25th . I'll be staying in Tempe (at least I think it's Tempe). Priest and Broadway.

I've read so much about it that I know I want to play Southern Dunes one day.

I'm much more familar with this area and south so in wondering where you might recommend for a combination of condition and decent green fees. I haven't played the Raven, it looks close but I've heard conditions might be iffy.

Also,although I know it's quite a ways in advance, I would really enjoy meeting some of the regulars from WRX who might be up for a round. Any and all advice is appreciated.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally, after not having been back to the valley for 13'years I'm going for three days in Febrary. Tuesday Feb 22 through Thirsday the 23 rd. I'll be staying in Tempe (at least I think it's Tempe). Priest and Broadway.

I'm much more familar with this area and south so in wondering where you might recommend for a combination of condition and decent green fees. I haven't played the Raven, it looks close but I've heard conditions might be iffy.

Also,although I know it's quite a ways in advance, I would really enjoy meeting some of the regulars from WRX who might be up for a round. Any and all advice is appreciated.

Priest and Broadway? Hope you are bringing your concealed weapons permit and your best 9mm! Send a reminder when it gets closer to try and get out.

Not sure what month that is, but I'll be getting there in February. ;) Unfortunately, I land on the 23rd. Staying in the Johnson Ranch area (San Tan Valley).

Southern Dunes is fun to play. It won't punish you off the tee as most landing areas are fairly generous if you choose the right tee box. If you stand up and hit driver on every hole though, you will open yourself up to trouble. Sometimes you need to hit less off the tee to set up the 2nd shot. Sand can be a little heavy so you likely need to be more aggressive out of the bunkers if you hit any.

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

Finally, after not having been back to the valley for 13'years I'm going for three days in Febrary. Tuesday Feb 22 through Thirsday the 23 rd. I'll be staying in Tempe (at least I think it's Tempe). Priest and Broadway.

Priest and Broadway? Hope you are bringing your concealed weapons permit and your best 9mm! Send a reminder when it gets closer to try and get out.

Not such a good area? It wasn't too bad when we lived there, but that's been over 20 years ago. I will post again when it gets closer.

Not such a good area? It wasn't too bad when we lived there, but that's been over 20 years ago. I will post again when it gets closer.

ahh..it's alright--just taking the piss! student area.

I'm going to be in Phoenix that same week, and though I'm not a regularly (yet) I would be interested in playing Southern Dunes. I am also looking at playing Papago and Longbow that week.

I thought about Papago too. I've played it once, never played Longbow. Don't know how wise it is to pick the tough courses when a guy hasn't played for 2 1/2 months.

I picked up playing again in August after a 6-7 year break, so we might not be too bad of a pair.

I've never played southwest type courses, but I'm also not looking for lengthy forced carries from the tees, target-player courses/narrow tracks, or something similar I can find here in NY. Neither Papago or Longbow seem to be too difficult...I'll be choosing my tees accordingly anyways.

Signature!

I picked up playing again in August after a 6-7 year break, so we might not be too bad of a pair.

I've never played southwest type courses, but I'm also not looking for lengthy forced carries from the tees, target-player courses/narrow tracks, or something similar I can find here in NY. Neither Papago or Longbow seem to be too difficult...I'll be choosing my tees accordingly anyways.

Check out Dobson Ranch in Mesa. Not a traditional Southwest course, but they always keep it in pretty good shape for it being a muni, and the greens are good. Should have no issues getting on in August, it's a pretty popular track now during peak season however.

Papago is tougher than the scorecard or pictures make it look, Longbow's difficulty will depend on the greens. Both courses at Camelback do a good job of mixing the Arizona vibe with traditional layouts; Ambiente is more links style and Padre more parkland.

Since it is peak season is it ever a problem getting on a single?

Monday-Thursday shouldn't be too too bad, a lot of it depends on time of day and what course you're looking at. Muni's are fine to walk right up and pay rack rate, GolfNow (as stupid as their fees are) is your friend for everything else day-of or day before

Monday-Thursday shouldn't be too too bad, a lot of it depends on time of day and what course you're looking at. Muni's are fine to walk right up and pay rack rate, GolfNow (as stupid as their fees are) is your friend for everything else day-of or day before

I had no problem getting on as a single. Use GolfNow to search for tee times, then go to the courses website to book. That is usually cheaper since you aren't paying GolfNow. Or call the shop and book (just to make sure they know you are single and looking to join a group).

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

I had no problem getting on as a single. Use GolfNow to search for tee times, then go to the courses website to book. That is usually cheaper since you aren't paying GolfNow. Or call the shop and book (just to make sure they know you are single and looking to join a group).

I have never had a problem peak season getting on any course either as a single or twosome including getting tee time as little as one day in advance

If you can get a decent deal as a single on one of the Whirlwind courses, that could be worth checking out as well. They are usually in great shape that time of year, and you can't go wrong at Southern Dunes in my opinion.

I looked at Whirlwind, would like to play there. But it looked like their green fees were fairly steep, $150ish or so.

If you can get a decent deal as a single on one of the Whirlwind courses, that could be worth checking out as well. They are usually in great shape that time of year, and you can't go wrong at Southern Dunes in my opinion.

I looked at Whirlwind, would like to play there. But it looked like their green fees were fairly steep, $150ish or so.

$80 on Golfnow.

Titleist TSi3 10* w/ Tour AD GP-6
Titleist U510 16* w/ HZRDUS Smoke 
Titleist 818H2 21* w/ Alidila Rogue 
Titleist 712 AP2 w/ X100
Titleist Vokey SM6 50/56/60
Scotty Cameron 009 1.5 Neck

$80 on Golfnow.

Thanks AZlefty. I forgot about Golfnow since we don't need it here. I'll have to make sure and pay attention to that. Enough daylight at the end of February to play both courses in one day?

$80 on Golfnow.

Thanks AZlefty. I forgot about Golfnow since we don't need it here. I'll have to make sure and pay attention to that. Enough daylight at the end of February to play both courses in one day?

If you don't start any later than 730AM to 8AM I don't foresee a problem with finishing.

Titleist TSi3 10* w/ Tour AD GP-6
Titleist U510 16* w/ HZRDUS Smoke 
Titleist 818H2 21* w/ Alidila Rogue 
Titleist 712 AP2 w/ X100
Titleist Vokey SM6 50/56/60
Scotty Cameron 009 1.5 Neck

$80 on Golfnow.

If you don't start any later than 730AM to 8AM I don't foresee a problem with finishing.

Thanks. No problem starting early for me, I don't have anything else to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it worth the drive (google maps showed an 1:20 drive time) to go out to Wickenburg Ranch?

Unequivocal YES! potentially the best public(until they go private) course in AZ now.

Thanks putt, I think I'll put that one on the short list. The drive time doesn't matter a whole lot since I have most of the day to work with.

Is it worth the drive (google maps showed an 1:20 drive time) to go out to Wickenburg Ranch?

Unequivocal YES! potentially the best public(until they go private) course in AZ now.

Thanks putt, I think I'll put that one on the short list. The drive time doesn't matter a whole lot since I have most of the day to work with.

It's well worth the drive. Iv'e got a group of 8 guys going out on the 13th, I'll give you a heads up on the conditioning, although I shouldn't really have too, it's near perfection every time I have been out. Either way I'll post some pictures for you!

It's well worth the drive. Iv'e got a group of 8 guys going out on the 13th, I'll give you a heads up on the conditioning, although I shouldn't really have too, it's near perfection every time I have been out. Either way I'll post some pictures for you!

That would be great. Appreciate it a lot.

I second that.

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

I second that.

Well that's two then. Southern Dunes and Wickenburg. One left. Maybe for old times sake I'll go play Ahwatuke CC

I wouldn't if I were you unless you get it for $20-30. Read some reviews via golfnow.

I swear Ahwatukee golf properties is in the business of running golf courses into the ground

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

I wouldn't if I were you unless you get it for $20-30. Read some reviews via golfnow.

I swear Ahwatukee golf properties is in the business of running golf courses into the ground

That's too bad. I think it was you that told me the Lakes had closed. Those were the two I played the most when I lived there. Thought it might be fun to try it again, but if it's crappy don't know if I want to waste one of my three days. Are you interested in meeting for a round one of those days?

Also, any private course that would be worth persuing?

Yeah man what days are you gonna be here again? I can't play dunes or wickenburg, out of my budget but I'm always down for Aguila haha!

I always enjoy Tukee but I'll play it in the summer, a few years ago hey had times for literally $2. TWO dollars!

If you have access to any private tracks I'd try to get on!

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

Private clubs

Estancia ($350+ guest fee)

Whisper Rock if you get an offer to play jump at the chance

Desert Forest(one of my favorites anywhere)

Desert Mountain(should be fairly easy to get on)

Desert Highlands Nicklaus design spectacular views typical demanding Nicklaus 2nd shot course.

Silverleaf and DC Ranch both look great but have never played.

Phoenix CC classic tree lined parkland

Parson World aka Scottsdale National. 15 solid holes 3 horrible holes.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]