2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Oceans Eleven Confessions to break a man's heart....

Matt J

Hey, I got a like from vaterman in here yesterday. Where are you at vater?

How's the swing and game going?

How's life in general?

Hey Rad

Thanks for noticing. Great to see the gang still hanging out in here.

Haven't touched a golfclub for almost a year so I really don't know about my swing. I still keep my membership of the Club though. So maybe in a year or so I will play Again. We will see.

Purchased Montes new video and I gotta say watching it woke up the "itch" again.

Life is back on rails Again. Actually it is really, really happy. The past year I have learned so much about life and it has really been worth the struggle. Will not bother you too much with that as it is almost too clihcé.

Have been following you Guys now and then in here and you Guys are becomming and interweb phenomenon. It is so great to see. The World should have more of that.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to hear from you Vater!! And extremely glad to hear life is treating you and the family well! :) Perspective can be found in many places, it's amazing how simple some things are once you get to the heart of the matter. Golf will be there, family first as you already know. Drop in anytime of course, it's nice to hear from you. :)

I'm still going through my life learning situation and I couldn't have learned more about myself, family, friends, life, golf etc., than I have in the last 26 months. Golf will be great when I get to play again, I'll be happy just to be out there and mentally unflappable.

Vater, glad to hear your doing well sir!! Break them stix out Brosef!! I can hear them calling your name from here ;)

Why do we complain about the jacked lofts again?? Just sitting here thinking about that fact that I've got a 50* wedge again, sure it's got the wrong letter stamped on it but it's still a 50* final iron right?? Lol

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Good luck with those Burners Pigs! Last time I hit something like that I noticed everything felt kinda the same, they went suuuuper high and far. They were those exact clubs. I obviously didn't get in depth with them as I was just hitting a few on the range.

Glad to hear you and Mrs.Pigs are back :)

I don't have High Expectations lol, I'm thinking high, Long and Numb!! We will see how long that lasts haha. Worst Case Ontario, I can for sure sell them for more than I paid ;)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Vater, glad to hear your doing well sir!! Break them stix out Brosef!! I can hear them calling your name from here ;)

Why do we complain about the jacked lofts again?? Just sitting here thinking about that fact that I've got a 50* wedge again, sure it's got the wrong letter stamped on it but it's still a 50* final iron right?? Lol

The problem with jacked lofts comes into play when they get so jacked that you have a big gap between your PW and other wedges and/or when your long irons become so strong that you hit them too low.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

Thus, the creation of the GW/UW/AW. To cover the spread between a 45* PW and 54*/56* SW. As for long irons, you young'ins can still hit them, I threw in the towel long ago. Really do not need an iron below a 6 (fka a 5 iron) these days. That's why hybrids were invented. But I've been drifting from those of late, preferring high loft metals. At least for the moment.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

How's life in general?

Hey Rad

Haven't touched a golfclub for almost a year so I really don't know about my swing. I still keep my membership of the Club though. So maybe in a year or so I will play Again. We will see.

Purchased Montes new video and I gotta say watching it woke up the "itch" again.

Life is back on rails Again. Actually it is really, really happy. The past year I have learned so much about life and it has really been worth the struggle. Will not bother you too much with that as it is almost too clihcé.

Have been following you Guys now and then in here and you Guys are becomming and interweb phenomenon. It is so great to see. The World should have more of that.

vater it is great to hear life is good and to see you post in here again. I hope you get the itch to golf again so we see you around more.

Registered Bladeocrat

Just a quick update. Playing first round with the Nike blades. Have hit two shots with the 3 iron. All I can say is oooohhhhh Hahahaha struck Perfect and that damn thing flew!!! Love these things already. Also, playing with some people from Ohio (they are out growing Carolinians down here haha) and their son is a muscle guy around low 30s and a passive brag..... It makes me feel good I'm hitting less club than he most holes so far :) haha I'm a slight guy so just an observation

Forever Changing at this point.......

Well, fellas, I went out and hit a big bucket yesterday to see about how my back would respond.

At first I was thinking I would just hit some partial wedges and practice my short game, but I decided I can't live in fear of this injury, so I hit quite a few full swing drivers as that one seems to be the worst.

It definitely bothered some of the soft tissue, but not too badly. No where near as bad as the first injury. I'll go back in to see the chiropractor and probably get a massage this week. Usually with some kind of imbalance I can figure out exactly what needs to be stretched and work it real hard until it goes away, but this is a little different. The pelvic girdle is certainly tricky. I've had some problems with my shoulders in the past, so I realize that with all the mobility also comes instability, but I can't figure out this thing with my hips.

I have some weird intuition that all the putting practice last week is responsible. Something about my putting stance tightens everything up and then the full swings torque something in the ligaments and tendons between my hips and spine.

Edit: BTW, Papa J, glad you're liking the Nike's!

What do you think of these exercises:

http://www.gbpersonaltraining.com/13-hip-mobility-exercise-to-ease-lower-back-pain/

???

Sorry Rad, I was doing my daily workout, I lurk then workout lol. Starting a slight tweak to my diet tomorrow, I wanna see some abs. I'm up to an hour of jump rope a day, plus weight training. I have no life haha, I call it "Con-Fit". At least when I get back out on the course I'll be in absolute top shape, did I mention I have no life :to_become_senile:

Well, as you know, I was just teasing. There are many times when I

come on here and don't have much time so I'll pass out a bunch of

likes but not post anything til later.

Well, fellas, I went out and hit a big bucket yesterday to see about how my back would respond.

At first I was thinking I would just hit some partial wedges and practice my short game, but I decided I can't live in fear of this injury, so I hit quite a few full swing drivers as that one seems to be the worst.

It definitely bothered some of the soft tissue, but not too badly. No where near as bad as the first injury. I'll go back in to see the chiropractor and probably get a massage this week. Usually with some kind of imbalance I can figure out exactly what needs to be stretched and work it real hard until it goes away, but this is a little different. The pelvic girdle is certainly tricky. I've had some problems with my shoulders in the past, so I realize that with all the mobility also comes instability, but I can't figure out this thing with my hips.

I have some weird intuition that all the putting practice last week is responsible. Something about my putting stance tightens everything up and then the full swings torque something in the ligaments and tendons between my hips and spine.

http://www.gbpersona...ower-back-pain/

???

Hang in there Matt, I'm glad you're willing to give it a try. Yeah, those exercises, wow. I remember Gumby, kinda like that.

How's life in general?

Hey Rad

So nice to hear back from you and glad life is going well!

You know how we are here.....we'll always be hanging around shootin'

the breeze and you know you can drop in anytime.

And golf certainly isn't going anywhere. I took off over 10 years from the

game from about '94 til '06......but when I came back I got the bug worse

than ever, haha. I'll never backslide again............they'll have to drag me

off to course to bury me!!

How's life in general?

Hey Rad

Wow, that's very nice to hear that Vater... wonder if we could ever be nominated for a 'Thready'?

Actually just spoke with my chiropractor about setting up a massage and another adjustment, and he is very supportive of practicing and playing while I work it out. It's great to see a generation of practitioners that understand giving up activity is more dangerous than working through it.

As a child, nothing drove me more crazy than a doc that would say, "oh, it hurts when you do that? Yeah, well, quit doing it then."

Thanks buddy. Spent a hundred and fifty for those words of wisdom !?!

If we quit doing everything active out health would decline a lot faster than playing through some pain and figuring out how to condition to make it go away. I walk 3 rounds a week, so that's 15 miles of walking that would go away.

http://www.gbpersonaltraining.com/13-hip-mobility-exercise-to-ease-lower-back-pain/

???

I'll take a look here shortly. Still in the course

Forever Changing at this point.......

I agree Matt. It's awful for a person who is used to being active to be

told to "rest". We like to "do something" or "fix something". Just sitting

around and waiting some indefinite amount of time for something to

heal is very difficult.

I had some sympathy for Tiger this last go around. Nothing to rehab,

no kinks to work out.....just sit and wait. It has to be very frustrating to

be told that.

EDIT; I know you weren't told that....just conjecturing.

Actually just spoke with my chiropractor about setting up a massage and another adjustment, and he is very supportive of practicing and playing while I work it out. It's great to see a generation of practitioners that understand giving up activity is more dangerous than working through it.

As a child, nothing drove me more crazy than a doc that would say, "oh, it hurts when you do that? Yeah, well, quit doing it then."

If we quit doing everything active out health would decline a lot faster than playing through some pain and figuring out how to condition to make it go away. I walk 3 rounds a week, so that's 15 miles of walking that would go away.

Well said...exactly why I have no plans to retire at my age of 65, at least until I'm 70. I love my job and want to stay active. Golf would be great, but like sex you wouldn't want to do them both for 5 days a week for 8 hours because.... well.....let me go think about why for a bit... hmm there's social security so I would be getting paid for both, then there's a little in the 401K, also, I could probably sell a few...

I know Ping has had the "cushin" inserts for many years but I've never hit

an iron with them in there. I think some people get them so they can keep

playing steel shafts rather than switch to graphite.

Still catching up--slowly--, I don't want to jump pages...Just yet.

My 2007 Ping S58 set came with Cushin Inserts. Since I was playing in low 60° temps or worse, it was strongly suggested that they would dampen the vibrations on mishits, and they do it surprisingly well. I pre-ordered my i20s with them.

I can imagine the relation between graphite and steel (w/inserts) as far as vibrations are concerned. I have tried/hit graphite shafted irons in the past. They felt very odd (f*cked up) to me, I couldn't feel the head, for some reason. Although not on the course, I have witnessed breakage at the range when diggers were practicing with them.

I renewed with my clubs last week. I see a noticeable loss of distance, but I don't foresee playing graphite shafts anytime soon.

I can understand someone with some kind of injury gaming graphite. Remember that, years ago, more than a few pro's tried graphite and they all went back to steel. Oddly enough, I was somewhat surprised not to see more of them (graphite) on the Champions Tour.

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

mdg, I've been eyeing the Steelfibers for quite some time. Actually have a set of AP-2's with the i95's on watch on Ebay right now. Supposedly the best of both world as far as feel of steel and dampening of graphite. I haven't ever demoed any as a lefty as I've never seen one in a left-handed club.

I'm one of those people that tries to verbalize an intermediary goal when attacking an obstacle. No matter how small, it makes me feel I'm making progress. Today, I'm back to a little pain, which would seem like a regression other than that I'm not using any anti-inflammatories. That was the goal for today. No more advil.

I'd like to play in my Wednesday game although my expectations are low for scoring and I'll be okay if the back isn't up to it. Probably a game time decision on Wednesday morning.

I have ProSoft inserts installed in 2 sets of irons and they didn't change the feel in any way that I could perceive. The only way that I've been able to filter out harmful vibrations (elbow issues) was to switch to graphite. I was struggling to grip a steering wheel a few seasons ago and the issues have since evaporated.

IMHO, inserts minimize the electric shock, from a mishit, that runs from my hands to my family jewels. I don't see them as a cure, not for a second, for an existing injury.

I Shoveled my way to an 87 on the day, these irons aren't bad at all. They are different, but not bad. Heck of i had hit a few putts it would have been a good score today! 39 putts!! Ouch!! Worst part is I don't feel I putted badly, burned a few lips and left a 30'er 2" short and dead centre of the cup lol. Just had some longer putts today is all and didn't take my time properly with some of the shorter 2nd putts. Over all good day though, the swing is feeling a lot better today.

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Well said...exactly why I have no plans to retire at my age of 65, at least until I'm 70. I love my job and want to stay active. Golf would be great, but like sex you wouldn't want to do them both for 5 days a week for 8 hours because.... well.....let me go think about why for a bit... hmm there's social security so I would be getting paid for both, then there's a little in the 401K, also, I could probably sell a few...

If I "loved" my job I could do the same but frankly this trucking life

just wears you out. I can't wait to hand over the keys and call it a

day, lol.

Likewise for people who do laborious things in their line of work.

My bro in law is a CPA and CFO and is 70 and still working. He said

he will never retire... and the last thing he needs is more money, lol,

so it ain't that. I honestly think some people worry they will die if they

are not working. For some that may be true. For others their job is

killing them. Different sides of the coin.

I know one thing.....Cobi and I will not be bored in retirement. We both

have many things we enjoy doing and hopefully will have set ourselves

up for doing just that.

Though I am fully aware not to fall into the trap of filling up the storehouse

and thinking all is well only to find out my soul is required that night. We

make our plans and hope for the best and know His will will be done.

Ham...Thanks man...its taking a little longer than I planned,but its getting there.I was cautioned to not push it too hard and to work with the therapy,and

thats what i'm trying.

Thug and Rad: Very good discussion. My own feelings...after the TOTAL BS way OUR goverment treated the Nam vets.,reference Agent Orange, is that the

American public is...and has been..lied to by the Goverment...Feds. State and local...for the last 70 years,all in the interest of the JOBS CREATORS.

And a company's profits. I truly believe that in our grandchildrens,or maybe our great grandchildens lifetime,the truth will come out.

#1 : The high rate of cancer in this country is directly derived from the use of chemicals and pesticides and preservatives used in the growing,processing and

and marketing of the food. Sure,the Goverment,the company making the chemicals,and the stock markets all tell us and the farmers for years

that the chemicals and pesticides are not in a high enough concentrate to harm humans. Maybe not. But when they dont leave the body,and

the amount is just increased year after year after year, suddenly it is now a high enough amount to kill us. I feel the day will come when

the American people will be told the truth.

#2: The scientist......the big research facilities....the big corporations... these personas can clone an animal......they can clone a human......

all the miracles of modern medicine......put a man on the moon.....have 2 objects join together,while moving at 17000 miles per hour...

fire a missle and hit an object the size of a house from 3000 miles away...fly a pilotless drone from the ground...with reality camera operation

......all of this......and we are led to believe that there is still no cure for cancer ..... follow the money.....how much does the cancer society

rake in each year.....how many of their people are making huge yearly paychecks......

#3 Reference the agent orange...,,the "slow growth" agents that the power companies are using under the power lines seems to ...oddly...end up

looking exactly like a lot of places in Nam looked like...after Agent Orange was applied....Amazing....Took....and takes....about two weeks and its all

turning brown or fading....three weeks and it is all dead...but it isn't harmful to humans.....

Sorry if I am on a soapbox,but i simply think we have been lied to for a long ,long time,......we will never know the truth....but someday maybe our childrens

children will.

I'm done,and i do apologize to you guys for the long post

I had a friend who was a helicopter pilot in Nam. Body was riddled

with cancer and died at age 29..............agent orange.

This, I believe wholeheartedly

The final tests, with Agent Orange, were done here in Eastern Canada instead of on American soil. We are on the 49th parallel while Viet Nam is on the 17th. (Like Porto Rico) ?????

NOTE: I'm not even sure if it's a good idea to post this......???

Bottom line is: All governments lie to their people. When in doubt, it becomes national security.

Deninny, I snuck in a few balls at lunch time 57's vs 33's. 57's won today so I'll be playing them tonight. Wife and kid are getting a haircut so I may as well go walk 9.

I used to go to my mp60s when my mp67s weren't behaving. Now I go to my mp67s when my baby blades are being ornery. My poor mp60s have been sorely neglected...LOL soon to be freed from my harem when/if I get some other baby blade heads or FG59 heads.

It's nice to have club options (i.e. excuses).

Registered Bladeocrat

Pigs, nice round and glad your swinging it better Bro!

Papa, just goes to show in golf distance comes from technique and speed. IMO muscle (built the right way) just helps with the consistency of the swing and physical endurance during a round, which in turn helps mental focus as well. Just keep looking back at his ball when you get to yours off the tee :taunt:

How's life in general?

Hey Rad

Good to hear from you, my friend.

Matt, hope your back/hips heal up soon :) . Those exercises and stretches from your link and Papa's link are all good stuff. I'm actually gonna incorporate a bunch of those now, thanks. I suffer from lower back tightness, always my lower left. It happens from sitting around at home being stuck and all, and when I get lazy with stretching. 100% stretching the hips, hamstrings, calves and glutes eliminates the tightness and prevents it from coming back. Plus your golf swing will feel much better too!