2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Oceans Eleven Confessions to break a man's heart....

Matt J

Whew, you guys are beast. 2 days away and I had 3 pages to swim through. Couldn't give out likes cause I would have been tooled after the first page.

So, Sat I played the dreaded 5.5 hr round. It was beautiful and the course was packed. On one par 5, there were 5 groups. I'm often and advocate of 'just calming down' when people complain about a 4:15 round, but this was torture. Thank god it only happens a few times a year. Care to guess how I played?

Later that night I was watching Austin City Limits (great show), and there was this young lady, Sarah Jarosz, she just blew me away. Rad, I know you are a fan of Alison Kraus; this girl plays guitar, mandolin, and banjo virtuoso level with a progressive style of blugrass that had me transfixed. Her fiddle player is unreal. She is also a singer/sonwriter with a sweet voice (not quite as angelic as Alison). Check it out:

[media=]

[/media]

Awesome Thug. I love seeing new talent keep coming along and it amazes

me how skillful these young people are at mastering many different instruments.

She's wonderful and sings well too.

I've always though bluegrass instruments had so much potential to sort of branch

out into other styles and forms of music. There are a few that have done it but not

many.

I remember hearing a recording of Bela Fleck playing a Chopin piano etude on the

banjo. Pretty wild. He takes his banjo into all sorts of musical adventures but he's

a rare bird.

Bela is literally a freak of nature. He plays stringed instruments in way that freezes your brain trying to keep up with the intricate notes and chord changes. So entertaining that someone can have that talent.

This kid too. I remember him form his Nickel Creek days

And here's one from the Nickel Creek days. Awesome stuff.

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's funny about short game pitches and chips. I try to do pretty much like

Wolf does in the video he posted and keep the hands quiet.

On the other hand guys I play with get flippy and scoopy and yet still

hit their pitches and chips closer than I do, lol.

A grooved flip.....haha.......whatever works!

Though I can't bring myself to do it.....I have SO trained my hands to

just shut up and hold the club that I can't do anything else.

I just need REPS!!!!

SLED Gemini

I just need REPS!!!!

I use both. I can show you the "flippy" version. It's pretty easy once you get the feel for it. Its amazing how big of a margin of error you have with the flippy shot

I just need REPS!!!!

I use both. I can show you the "flippy" version. It's pretty easy once you get the feel for it. Its amazing how big of a margin of error you have with the flippy shot

You'll have to show me then. Is that the "using the bounce" shot?

SLED Gemini

I just need REPS!!!!

You'll have to show me then. Is that the "using the bounce" shot?

Thats,how it's "marketed". LMAO!! You can use the bounce with a "hinge and hold" shot if you know how. I'm pretty sure Stu...the wedge maestro...can back me up on that. ;)

Geez still Tooled!

I'll host a Confessions outing LOL, pack your bags, book your tickets and bring LOTS of sunscreen :beach: As for partnering up, for all I know I could be a 25 handicap next time I play :) Probably not though. I will make it out there someday, and when I do I'll play with anyone I can! Seriously though, if we did have a Confessions outing I'll fly out (when allowed) :D

Some course pics to entice you guys to fly out here to Guam, this from Mangilao Golf Club, it's the 12th hole (signature hole). The back nine of this course is beautiful, front nine is nice too. I would play here once a quarter as it's the most pricey course. Definitely not the "hardest" but it's always is great shape, immaculate would be the term for the course conditioning.

WOW Ham, that is beautiful. I could play that hole 18 times and call it

a great round!

When I finally get out to play (soon I hope, crossing fingers) I'll make sure to take my camera to make a nice video for y'all. I'll show you some of the other nice holes on the course too. IMO the greens are challenging. Small and very undulated. Cool thing is the front 9 is pretty easy and birdies can be had, then hold on in the back 9. But yeah, it's a beautiful course and I always enjoy myself out there. Now that I think about it, we have some real gems out here. I'll definitely make a Guam golf guide for you guys once I'm able.

Went on Google Earth. It really doesn't do it justice :dntknw:

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

Here's the state of my game . . .

Irons/hybrids/woods = best I've ever seen

Driver = feast or famine

Wedges = adequate

Putter = hot and cold

Where are all of you at the moment?

Here's where I am.

My total game = famine

Driver: Never been easier to aim and shoot

FWs: Need to copy tempo from driver

Irons: Not bad, actually not bad at all. But, haven't tried any exotic shots yet

Wedges: As Tiger would put it "It's a process". Naaaww, the wedges are really good. My use of them......mehhh!

Putter: My Holy Grail has vacated it's spot. But, nothing else dares to fill the void.

What do they have in common?

Loss of distance

Haven't played a full round yet

Glad to confess that I have plans for the summer. As long as I keep expectations at bay, I'll be awwhight.

I also plan to bring my Precious at the Exec 11 holes, next week. (I just called, they have electric carts) I she likes the outing, I'll take her out once every week or two.

That's where I'm at for 2016.

It's so cool to hear that she still gets out on the course with you. When my wife is with me, it is always a good golf day.

And LOL since this is a confessions thread, I confess that I think of Gollum whenever you say "My Precious".

OOOOKKAAAYYYY!!!

Didn't know who he was, Googled it, I'm shocked at the resemblance. My ears are much smaller, otherwise.........Uummm, it fits.

Not to worry MDG, I'll take some good pics and videos of my rounds of golf when I get back out there! Just to share with the crew, there really isn't a good Guam golf guide with good pictures and hole descriptions, maybe if I feel so inclined I'll make one. Excited for you about getting back out on the course this summer!

I just need REPS!!!!

I'm a flipper a lot of the time lol, I dunno why but it just works for me. I rarely use my 52* to Pitch low running shots unless I HAVE to. I just have more distance control and confidence in popping one up and landing it near a target. I all ways run it out to far when I try to pitch it in low. I know it's just a practice thing but I go with what works lol.

It's not a Flop shot though that I hit, it's a square faced, handsy, floppy chip lol.

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Den, best place to practice short game that I've found is a football field. It's already marked off in yards up to 100(110 up here lol), it's PERFECT for short game practice and FREE :)

Just bring lefties and your iPod and you set for hours Brosef!!

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

My chips are usually bery floppy ish haha. Watching montes videos is the culprit but man it flat out works. Like he says though, it's not technically a flip, it's getting a vertical shaft at impact haha

That's a good point Papa, I always make good contact on those chips shots too. I wonder if that method can be used in full swings??

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

My chips are usually bery floppy ish haha. Watching montes videos is the culprit but man it flat out works. Like he says though, it's not technically a flip, it's getting a vertical shaft at impact haha

That's a good point Papa, I always make good contact on those chips shots too. I wonder if that method can be used in full swings??

It's certainly can. Well not exactly the same as that wedge technique, it's kind of the basis for his note her cast swing. At the top you try to throw away the right wrist angle which in turn causes you to speed up the right arm and hopefully get you more in sync with your attorney/Pippi well not exactly the same as that which technique, it's kind of the basis for his note her cast swing. At the top you try to throw away the right wrist angle which in turn causes you to speed up the right arm and hopefully get you more in sync with your turn/pivot. You'll still get some shaft lean but in severe cases you'll end up with almost a vertical shaft and just brush the grass with your iron

Forever Changing at this point.......

I went and got a med bucket at the range while this morning debating on playing today, cloudy and rain expected later. Threw the CB's back in the bag and my sweet Effe!! It's like they knew what happened lol. I hit them beautifully today!! Definitely a much nicer ball flight over the Burners and the "Hiss" is back!! Well really I think I got my swing fixed but that's how I know I'm hitting them well, the ball just Hisses as it flies away!! The 4i was flying High and landing softly!! Love it!! I was getting the club too much into my palms and not enough out into my fingers which was not lettin me "Snap" the club through the ball the way I like to. That and I was standing way to upright, got back into lore of a baseball type stance, I forgot I need to swing hard to be accurate lol.

If I play today, Blades it is!! Well Muscle Back Cb's anyways haha

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Okay, I haven't played the "state of the game" yet...

Driver (B+) - Most days the number 1 wood is my strong suit. I'm focused on hitting up on the ball and setting up for a push hook. Usually works out, but the double cross is very ugly and at my home track usually dead. I seem to hit 12 or 13 A drives, but the 1 or 2 per round that aren't in the fairway are OB or wet costing me strokes.

FW's and Hybrids © - Having a flat swing plane usually the FW's are a strong suit like driver. Lately I can't seem to groove a high draw with the 3 or 5W. I'm just playing a cut for now, but I theorize that my new stronger grip promotes too closed of a face at impact, so a cut swing is all I can use at the moment. I need to play around with a weaker grip, more open face at address, and hitting a high draw.

Long Irons © - I'm most scared out on the course with a 4 or 5 iron in my hand. I hit them fine, not perfect but decent trajectory, distance, and direction on the range, but don't seem to accommodate for different lies very easily. Ranger Rick with the long irons.

Short Irons © - Lots of pulls, struggling with distance control. I usually hit the surface, but not within the magical 15 feet very often. I think I hit them too high, get quick and pull them, and generally can't find the true bottom on most days.

Short Game (B) - I've been comfortable using a lot of different shots recently and have been focused on what ball I have in play and how that will effect spin. Haven't tracked up's and down's much lately, probably for the best so that I think I'm doing something right !?!

Putting © - I'll go from 27 putts to 36 in the same week. Seems like whatever side of the bed I wake up on. Some days it seems easy, some days I can find a way to 3 putt from anywhere.

There it is... hard to deny in black and white.

Edit - I guess if you put a "C" inside of parenthesis it makes a copy right sign. Those are just good old fashioned "C's" like on your report card when you were a kid

Edit - I guess if you put a "C" inside of parenthesis it makes a copy right sign. Those are just good old fashioned "C's" like on your report card when you were a kid

LOL Matt J has copyrighted his game. That's called owning it!

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

Had a great little range session this morning and then decided to play even though it was cloudy and gloomy out. Wound up shooting 83(43/40)on the day, got progressively better as the day went on too. Best part, had almost ALL good strikes today, curvature was another story lol. BUT I was able to get the ball to Start on line and Curve the way I intend Most of the day with only a few exceptions. But my swing is finally feeling like My Swing again.

I'm woods and driver wanting to turn right to left and anything under an 8i wants to draw to the right, but I'm pulling those short irons and wedges. Long clubs are starting pretty straight. It's a process but at least I can make solid contact again finally. Club was Way to far Ito the palms of my hands, wasn't able to release it properly.

Now to work on putting and hitting greens lol

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Pigs LOL based on one round each, you clearly are better off with your Titleist MAWBBs vs those FUGLY Burners. (Just sayin'.)

So did you have a particular swing thought or anything to keep you swinging your swing today?

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

I've been really working at that too, focusing on getting the club more upright at impact and making sure the bottom hand keeps moving, I used to be pretty inside and trappy but I've been way better lately with this new setup, I'm really able to hit short pitches with some height without having to resort to a semi flop shot.

Playing later today in our mens night and feel confident in my game, adjusted my putting setup a bit and I am stroking it really well right now (pretty close to Kaufman's setup, front foot flared out a bit) and my ballstriking has been solid, may even try to hit a few fades today.

Hope everyone is well

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

I've been really working at that too, focusing on getting the club more upright at impact and making sure the bottom hand keeps moving, I used to be pretty inside and trappy but I've been way better lately with this new setup, I'm really able to hit short pitches with some height without having to resort to a semi flop shot.

Playing later today in our mens night and feel confident in my game, adjusted my putting setup a bit and I am stroking it really well right now (pretty close to Kaufman's setup, front foot flared out a bit) and my ballstriking has been solid, may even try to hit a few fades today.

Hope everyone is well

Yes, there are times when I have like a mount for bunker in front of me and I'm still opening the face to hit a flop. Then of course the ball goes nowhere and straight up in the air and into the bunker. I need to remember that my technique put plenty of height on the ball to Carry over any bunker

Pigs LOL based on one round each, you clearly are better off with your Titleist MAWBBs vs those FUGLY Burners. (Just sayin'.)

So did you have a particular swing thought or anything to keep you swinging your swing today?

You would be absolutely correct Den!! Soo much more control with my MAWBB's hands down, no contest.

I did kinda have a few thoughts in my head today. Had to keep reminding myself to hold the club in my fingers more, keep weight on my back foot as long as I can, and be mindful of my Feet, Shoulders and club face to the target line. But I guess those were not really swing thoughts lol.

Main Swing Though was to swing hard and Release that head through the ball!! And trust that I'm lined up properly for what I'm trying to get the shot to do.

Now I need to start taking more time with putts and back to short game work. Distance control is great with the putter but I'm lipping out putts or missing by a couple inches on either side. It's so close to being really good. I c ant wait to get back out there again!! :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Um....did something just fly over my head??? Mrs. P????

My bad I thought I mentioned that, me and the Mrs have gotten back together :)

I had not read that far when I caught it....and of course inquired.....Still not there just yet....Page 148 and running like a gazelle------>

Um....did something just fly over my head??? Mrs. P????

My bad I thought I mentioned that, me and the Mrs have gotten back together :)

I had not read that far when I caught it....and of course inquired.....Still not there just yet....Page 148 and running a gazelle------>

Haha I missed that too. Glad you were able to work it out an.

Think I'm going to run down the road to the local sporting goods store. Go fondle some putter grips. Think I need a new grip for an old reliable, Rossie II. Bring it out of retirement to correct some short putting ailments. Yeah.....that's the ticket.

Iomic Absolute FTW!!!

Nope. A Winn Excel Medalist Jumbo. Sort of a poor man's SS. And I don't like Winn grips in the slightest, but it was cheap on closeout. Got it installed and some shoulders back rolls on the "bermuda grass" carpeted green. So far, kinda like it, a mitt full of grip.

If it doesn't work out, do not have to worry about it being on all that long. Winn's only last about six months. Then back to the usual Pingman.

I have a Lamkin Jumbo on all (only three, lol) my putters.

I'm really lucky MC. I live out on the farm now on a 5 acre lot so I've got a "green" mowed into the corner of the property. I can go back to about 160-170 yards!

Perhaps, you could check this one out.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/185323-update-to-my-backyard-greenbunkerteebox/

Yure Welcum

Wow, all caught up. You guys are animals lately. Seems like I was perpetually

TOOLed there for awhile and getting them back in the typical dribs and drabs.

More blades talk. I feel bad leaving my blades at home but I don't want them

beat bouncing around in the side box. My cast Ping S58s can handle it and

not show a ding.

I still need to get the lofts and lies checked out on the Macs when I get home

and get the Mac wedges shafted up. So much to do and so little time.

There is no shame in using iron head covers for storage/transportation purposes. (ONLY)

The true downside to long-haul, is the cancer causing humidity. As a rule, I never leave my clubs in the trunk overnight. I can understand, for you, it's not an option.

Actually just spoke with my chiropractor about setting up a massage and another adjustment, and he is very supportive of practicing and playing while I work it out. It's great to see a generation of practitioners that understand giving up activity is more dangerous than working through it.

As a child, nothing drove me more crazy than a doc that would say, "oh, it hurts when you do that? Yeah, well, quit doing it then."

Thanks buddy. Spent a hundred and fifty for those words of wisdom !?!

If we quit doing everything active out health would decline a lot faster than playing through some pain and figuring out how to condition to make it go away. I walk 3 rounds a week, so that's 15 miles of walking that would go away.

Well said...exactly why I have no plans to retire at my age of 65, at least until I'm 70. I love my job and want to stay active. Golf would be great, but like sex you wouldn't want to do them both for 5 days a week for 8 hours because.... well.....let me go think about why for a bit... hmm there's social security so I would be getting paid for both, then there's a little in the 401K, also, I could probably sell a few...

If I "loved" my job I could do the same but frankly this trucking life

just wears you out. I can't wait to hand over the keys and call it a

day, lol.

Likewise for people who do laborious things in their line of work.

My bro in law is a CPA and CFO and is 70 and still working. He said

he will never retire... and the last thing he needs is more money, lol,

so it ain't that. I honestly think some people worry they will die if they

are not working. For some that may be true. For others their job is

killing them. Different sides of the coin.

I know one thing.....Cobi and I will not be bored in retirement. We both

have many things we enjoy doing and hopefully will have set ourselves

up for doing just that.

Though I am fully aware not to fall into the trap of filling up the storehouse

and thinking all is well only to find out my soul is required that night. We

make our plans and hope for the best and know His will will be done.

For me it is tricky I am having as most fun trucking as I did the first 5 or 6 years I did it but I am thinking of retiring (Good Lord Willing) maybe in 3 more years or so. Hopefully I can open a small custom golf shop and do that. Be pretty select on what I want to do and who I do it for. I may do like some of the older guys I know just truck 3 or 4 days a week maybe less. I will do something work wise.

My first wife's grandfather was a driver for over 35 years drove for Ryder PIE back in the day. He had a heart attack and was forced to retire. Now he had never done anything but drive a truck. I tried to get him to play golf naaw he said. Tried to get him to mess with some old cars no dice. Tried to get him to fish nope. Finally 2 years after forced retirement he just died. I guess out of boredom.

That last paragraph I know exactly where that came from!

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

I actually lived in London Ontario for 2 years PD, from age 4-6 lol, I remember the looooong drive back to Halifax in the back seat of the K Car lol.

Here's my age popping up again. I drove one of those K Cars, then made the mistake of buying a '77 Aspen. My Precious had fallen in love with the "wire imitation" hubcaps.

EDIT:

If eligible, I joined the OGA

You are absolutely effinghamloutely eligible ------- Welcome Aboard!!!

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style