2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Oceans Eleven Confessions to break a man's heart....

Matt J

Confession - I've never owned a GPS or Rangefinder. To be honest, find the laser thing a little annoying. One of the golf buds has one. He seems to have the need to scope the pin on every single damn shot. Even when we're like 200+ yards away. And announce it to me, even when I'm not asking. Frosts me a bit and I've told him about it.

As long as I can get a sprinkler head reading or yardage mark, can extrapolate from there. Usually within +/- 5 yards of what the techno reads, and that generally is close enough.

I never used anything except sprinkler heads until I moved here. Some courses here can be way off. Whether due to laziness of the grounds crew or changes made to the course. It also depth of greens. I started using phone apps. They were great except when I switched to T-Mobile and some places like Kiawah or greater charleston don't get great 4 g service. So I bought a laser. Will never go back. Although I never use it when I know I have more than 210 because F I do Its like less than 40% chance I'll get that yardage and accuracy from my club haha. I also don't use it inside 90 yards because that's when my wedge play goes into feel mode for distance control.

Forever Changing at this point.......

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

St00pid truck driving n00b question: how can floating gears be less risk in grinding your gears than even the basic single clutch method? DeNinja is failing to compute this.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

Somebody makes a Smokey and the Bandit reference and I'm outta likes! Argh!

Gotta long way to go and a short time to get there!! BTDT, lol.

It twas a great movie. Showing my age but I remember when Coors beer

was not sold east of the Rockies and so it was highly coveted in the east.

When I was a young buck and not of age yet, Coors was our beer of choice

in SoCal. We were gullible back then haha.

What was/is your CB Handle Rad?? Do CB radios still get used or have cell phones killed them?

No handle Pigs. CBs are still tools of the trade but we no longer use

ours. I have it in the sidebox, lol, and that's where it stays.

For "team" trucks they are a nuisance with all the noise and chatter

and mess up someone trying to sleep in the bunk.

They were fun when I was a n00b but the thrill wore off after awhile;

just like floatin' gears and blowin' peoples ears of with the jake brakes.

I'm such a noob I had to look up what floating gears even was. Turns out that's almost exclusively how I drive my semi. I got my cdl and semi about ten years ago and of course started with double clutching and wasn't great at it. Another farmer told me about skipping using the clutch once you got a feel for matching road speed to engine speed and I've been a smooth sailor ever since. It was my impression it's how pretty much everyone hauling grain and pulling 80K drives. Are the over the road guys all double clutching Conrad? I do know that "floating" is bad if you're unfamiliar with a truck and doing any grinding but if you can float smoothly I thought it was totally ok? Hope I'm not damaging my tranny although I've had my semi several years so I think (hope) I'm doing ok!

My dad drove/drives trucks. One time he drive my car in college which was a standard and he ground the gears and went oops sorry. I'm ised to double clutching haha. i was scared shitless at the time

Forever Changing at this point.......

St00pid truck driving n00b question: how can floating gears be less risk in grinding your gears than even the basic single clutch method? DeNinja is failing to compute this.

Hey I'm a farmer who only poses as a truck driver occasionally!! :-)

I definitely don't think floating is less risky. Obviously you're putting metal gears together at high speed so if you miss and grind, you're doing damage. But if you aren't grinding, are you otherwise ok or are there other potential effects?

I definitely don't think floating is less risky. Obviously you're putting metal gears together at high speed so if you miss and grind, you're doing damage. But if you aren't grinding, are you otherwise ok or are there other potential effects?

And the only semis that I have ever driven have been in video games (GTA IV and V). Also I meant that question just in general and not how it applies to you. LOL your post also made me look up floating and double clutching. Nothing I saw mentioned single shifting which made me assume that method had high potential for grinding gears.

As to other potential issues I would guess that an abrupt change in load on an engine or vehicle drive train may put undue stress on either. But I'm not sure if it would have a significant effect or not.

Registered Bladeocrat

And the only semis that I have ever driven have been in video games (GTA IV and V). Also I meant that question just in general and not how it applies to you. LOL your post also made me look up floating and double clutching. Nothing I saw mentioned single shifting which made me assume that method had high potential for grinding gears.

As to other potential issues I would guess that an abrupt change in load on an engine or vehicle drive train may put undue stress on either. But I'm not sure if it would have a significant effect or not.

Had me fooled D! Apparently one noob can't spot another lol. I'll wait for Conrad's guidance :-D

Just curious, which Confessors have played? So far I know of only dan360 and I, but also didn't scotee and Conrad1953 play once? What about PeanutsDaddy and Pigems?

Actually I tried to reach YOU when I played Wild Horse in Pendleton, then

Scotee said he would have come with some notice but it was after.

If we ever get back to the PNW I'm definitely ringing your bell and Scotee

and Dan and whoever else will come. Party in Pendleton; probably the only

place I can get the truck into that is reachable by all you guys.

I think MC and I may play together this summer and I still hope to make it

out to SC to see Stu and.......WE NEED A CONFESSIONS OUTING!!

Who is willing to host and organize it????????

The timing for Pendleton was bad, IIRC. I have never played there and ABSOEFFINGHAMLUTELY I would gladly try to get out there to play a round with you. Advanced notice is always best. But if you are going to be closer to Portland, the better for me. I will find us a place to play with your bigWord not allowed truck too. Just get within a few hours of here and I will handle logistics.

And if we play with scoteef and dan-O, we can't be teams. They will clean our clocks. Oh and if Hamboogerburgler shows up, I call him as partner...first!!!

Ya, I think Scotee is sneaky good and modest. Gotta watch out for him.

And Master Dan was offered a sponsorship so we know what that means.

I'll pair up with Scotee so old against young. He'll school you both while

I'm just along for the ride!

If Hamster shows up he's playing from the tips AND giving strokes!!

If I get anywhere close to Portland and have some time I'll take you up

fo sho. Just don't take me to a course that has glory holes.

Scotee used to be single digit and used to have a 32 inch waist. Scotee is currently an 11 and not even in the 30’s for waist size. He was never modest but he can still turn the mass. Pick scotee if you want a pretty good has been that still has a good day once in awhile.

Just tell me when and where :)

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

Geez still Tooled!

I'll host a Confessions outing LOL, pack your bags, book your tickets and bring LOTS of sunscreen :beach: As for partnering up, for all I know I could be a 25 handicap next time I play :) Probably not though. I will make it out there someday, and when I do I'll play with anyone I can! Seriously though, if we did have a Confessions outing I'll fly out (when allowed) :D

Some course pics to entice you guys to fly out here to Guam, this from Mangilao Golf Club, it's the 12th hole (signature hole). The back nine of this course is beautiful, front nine is nice too. I would play here once a quarter as it's the most pricey course. Definitely not the "hardest" but it's always is great shape, immaculate would be the term for the course conditioning.

TOOL sense - the instinctive ability to sense when one will become TOOL.

I have my TOOL sense down to 5-10 likes.

And yes I am right now. Too many good posts. So little likes.

Registered Bladeocrat

Geez still Tooled!

I'll host a Confessions outing LOL, pack your bags, book your tickets and bring LOTS of sunscreen :beach: As for partnering up, for all I know I could be a 25 handicap next time I play :) Probably not though. I will make it out there someday, and when I do I'll play with anyone I can! Seriously though, if we did have a Confessions outing I'll fly out (when allowed) :D

Some course pics to entice you guys to fly out here to Guam, this from Mangilao Golf Club, it's the 12th hole (signature hole). The back nine of this course is beautiful, front nine is nice too. I would play here once a quarter as it's the most pricey course. Definitely not the "hardest" but it's always is great shape, immaculate would be the term for the course conditioning.

Whao that is some hole. Ever try banking it off the rock outcropping on the left?

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

Had me fooled D! Apparently one noob can't spot another lol. I'll wait for Conrad's guidance :-D

LOL, floating gears is fine!! I do it too. What I meant was early on I was

enamored with myself for doing it but soon after it was no longer a big

deal.

And Ninja the gears in big trucks are not synchronized. You have to do

it yourself by matching road speed with gear speed and engine RPMs.

At first it's a very tricky proposition and you can find yourself coasting

along unable to get the truck in gear. N00bs sometimes end up coasting

to a stop and starting over, lol.

Even seasoned drivers will "scratch" gears and not shift perfectly every

time. But a seasoned driver can always recover if they miss a gear and

get back on track quickly. When a new driver misses a gear they tend to

freak out and start jamming the shifter trying to force it in a gear.

If you're gonna use the clutch then double clutching is the way to go and

the way it is taught. Clutch to take it out of a gear and then clutch to put

it in the next gear. You can single clutch but the problem is the RPMs don't

drop rapidly enough to synchronize for entry into the next gear and so

you need to clutch it again to synch it up or you'll grind like hell until the

RPMs drop enough to let you in the next gear.

After awhile all this becomes second nature to you and you begin to shift

by feel and sound and no longer need the clutch to help you out.

Downshifting is similar. You just learn to match road speed with the proper

gear and and then rev the engine to match the RPMs and the shifter just

falls into the slot, easy peasy.

EDIT: some guys like to "rapid shift" on the way up and they will turn on

the jake brake which drops the engine RPMs faster so you can shift

faster. This has to be done without touching the clutch as touching the

clutch will deactivate the jake brakes (or engine brakes as they are also

known)

I don't rapid shift myself cause generally I don't ride around with the

jake brake always on like some like to do. I only use the jake brakes

for descending down steep hills.

TYVM Conrad. I missed the fact that the gears weren't synchronized like a regular car. Makes sense now. The transmission is even more 'manual' that way.

Registered Bladeocrat

Geez still Tooled!

WOW Ham, that is beautiful. I could play that hole 18 times and call it

a great round!

Just curious, which Confessors have played? So far I know of only dan360 and I, but also didn't scotee and Conrad1953 play once? What about PeanutsDaddy and Pigems?

Actually I tried to reach YOU when I played Wild Horse in Pendleton, then

Scotee said he would have come with some notice but it was after.

If we ever get back to the PNW I'm definitely ringing your bell and Scotee

and Dan and whoever else will come. Party in Pendleton; probably the only

place I can get the truck into that is reachable by all you guys.

I think MC and I may play together this summer and I still hope to make it

out to SC to see Stu and.......WE NEED A CONFESSIONS OUTING!!

Who is willing to host and organize it????????

The timing for Pendleton was bad, IIRC. I have never played there and ABSOEFFINGHAMLUTELY I would gladly try to get out there to play a round with you. Advanced notice is always best. But if you are going to be closer to Portland, the better for me. I will find us a place to play with your bigWord not allowed truck too. Just get within a few hours of here and I will handle logistics.

And if we play with scoteef and dan-O, we can't be teams. They will clean our clocks. Oh and if Hamboogerburgler shows up, I call him as partner...first!!!

Ya, I think Scotee is sneaky good and modest. Gotta watch out for him.

And Master Dan was offered a sponsorship so we know what that means.

I'll pair up with Scotee so old against young. He'll school you both while

I'm just along for the ride!

If Hamster shows up he's playing from the tips AND giving strokes!!

If I get anywhere close to Portland and have some time I'll take you up

fo sho. Just don't take me to a course that has glory holes.

Scotee used to be single digit and used to have a 32 inch waist. Scotee is currently an 11 and not even in the 30’s for waist size. He was never modest but he can still turn the mass. Pick scotee if you want a pretty good has been that still has a good day once in awhile.

Just tell me when and where :)

OK, now I gotta see if I can talk Cobi into us taking a load up that way.

She doesn't like going up there anymore and got a little miffed at me

when I volunteered us to go up there the last time.

The OGA 'el Bandidos' look for this afternoon's round:

And Footnote: And notice is is brandishing an ORIGINAL Winged MT not a remake----- I had to point that little fact out Fella because not everyone is as sharp of a classic club Ho as we are.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

He's already an honorary bladeocrat for sure. I dunno why he doesn't just take the oath and be done with it.

Oaths??? I don't need no stink'n Oaths. 1% er's don't live by the rules.

The "Boss Man" sez its OK. I can show you my winged MT's or Colokroms if necessary.

LOL the OGA is starting to remind me of another 'gang'...

-DePhilo DeBeddoe

Ha Ha! Good one. Bunch of "Bad A** renegades. Descriptive of some around here...maybe.....sorta. 'Cept for the wig part.

We should commission "1571" patches that we could affix to the backs of our black golf shirts. Of course, once one attains "Fully Patched Member" status.

Could ride into the other areas of WRX and lay waste to Threadville. Just like Hollister.

"Laissez les bons temps rouler!"

Battle cry of the OGA.

That's it. I'm joining. I claim member #7.

About Effingham time! BTW Translate the French for me would you please-- if you can't on here in public then shoot me a PM

Geez still Tooled!

Whao that is some hole. Ever try banking it off the rock outcropping on the left?

Not on purpose LOL! It's a great hole, it's only like 148 yards from the whites, 177 from the back, but if the wind is up then it's a doozie. The next hole is a par 5 that goes right along the rock/cliff line. Fun course for sure.

I'm watching Smokey and the Bandit, I Effing Love this movie lol

Sally Field was lookin' good back in those days. Keep on truckin' brah!

Now when I am "East Bound and Down" I am empty and trucking or as we say "running hard for the yard" because I am headed for the beach

Geez still Tooled!

WOW Ham, that is beautiful. I could play that hole 18 times and call it

a great round!

When I finally get out to play (soon I hope, crossing fingers) I'll make sure to take my camera to make a nice video for y'all. I'll show you some of the other nice holes on the course too. IMO the greens are challenging. Small and very undulated. Cool thing is the front 9 is pretty easy and birdies can be had, then hold on in the back 9. But yeah, it's a beautiful course and I always enjoy myself out there. Now that I think about it, we have some real gems out here. I'll definitely make a Guam golf guide for you guys once I'm able.

Oh man I remember that too and I used to bootleg it back East of the Mississippi. Back in those days no one cared as long as it was not a whole truckload. Tee Hee Hee FYI You could carefully pack 6 cases in the side box on each side and 2 under the sleeper mattress of a cab over International Transtar.

I actually lived in London Ontario for 2 years PD, from age 4-6 lol, I remember the looooong drive back to Halifax in the back seat of the K Car lol.

LOL you were lucky that the K-car lasted for any long drive period even if it was new back in those days--- Those were one POS car!!!

What was/is your CB Handle Rad?? Do CB radios still get used or have cell phones killed them?

Rad you do not have fun anymore trucking? I still float gears and when I am driving "White Lightning" I love the jake with those twin stacks bellowing. We use the CB quite a bit not really on the road but in the yard spotting under the grapple crane. A few of us local drivers that run the same route every day mostly stick haulers and fellow scrap haulers speak to each other on the road. White Lightning has been down for a week now the steering box started pouring oil. I did get it home Friday a week ago by putting some Lucas Power steering stop leak and STP in but it did gall the pump some but the owner of the company told me to try to get it home which I did. Parts on order. I am driving the 2007 Low Power Vision 460 on the morning run and the 2015 with the Volvo engine on the afternoon run. I hate to admit I am warming up to the 2015. The owner knows me well and has told me to get used to a new truck because I am either going to be in that 2015 or a 2017 permantly in the future. White Lightning is going to be the first truck traded because it is the oldest. I hope he gets rid of that ragged 2007 low power too. It has had a lot of bad drivers on it and has been used as the yard truck mostly in the last year and is beat to crap. But he knows I am who I am and will Keep on Trucking and will adapt.

LOL, floating gears is fine!! I do it too. What I meant was early on I was

enamored with myself for doing it but soon after it was no longer a big

deal.

And Ninja the gears in big trucks are not synchronized. You have to do

it yourself by matching road speed with gear speed and engine RPMs.

At first it's a very tricky proposition and you can find yourself coasting

along unable to get the truck in gear. N00bs sometimes end up coasting

to a stop and starting over, lol.

Even seasoned drivers will "scratch" gears and not shift perfectly every

time. But a seasoned driver can always recover if they miss a gear and

get back on track quickly. When a new driver misses a gear they tend to

freak out and start jamming the shifter trying to force it in a gear.

If you're gonna use the clutch then double clutching is the way to go and

the way it is taught. Clutch to take it out of a gear and then clutch to put

it in the next gear. You can single clutch but the problem is the RPMs don't

drop rapidly enough to synchronize for entry into the next gear and so

you need to clutch it again to synch it up or you'll grind like hell until the

RPMs drop enough to let you in the next gear.

After awhile all this becomes second nature to you and you begin to shift

by feel and sound and no longer need the clutch to help you out.

Downshifting is similar. You just learn to match road speed with the proper

gear and and then rev the engine to match the RPMs and the shifter just

falls into the slot, easy peasy.

EDIT: some guys like to "rapid shift" on the way up and they will turn on

the jake brake which drops the engine RPMs faster so you can shift

faster. This has to be done without touching the clutch as touching the

clutch will deactivate the jake brakes (or engine brakes as they are also

known)

I don't rapid shift myself cause generally I don't ride around with the

jake brake always on like some like to do. I only use the jake brakes

for descending down steep hills.

That puts some things in perspective for me Thanks. I was having problems with the 2015 because it is smooth and computer controlled. That engine has a total different RPM power band than what I am used to. It does not make any noise and the Jake Does not kick like mine does. Us old guys were always taught to drive a diesel like you were mad at it. keep the RPMs up bumping the govenor. That 2015 in 10th gear at 65 MPH only pulls at 1300 RPM where my old truck pulls around 1750. I had to take the book home the other weekend to figure it out. I had trouble floating the gears in it the first 3 or 4 times I drove it but i am starting to feel it now. Of course I only drive it about 120 miles round trip or so a day for now. To me the difference in the trucks is like going from a 4 speed big block Camaro to a Mercedes 300E ( I had a 300E until the old lady wrecked it) I am getting used to it love the leather seats and the air adjustable lumbar support and the stereo is jam up sorta makes up for the lack of twin stacks and loud jake not quite in my book but getting there----- Yeah I said it but Absolutely will not hit anything but BLADES PERIOD and old blades at that unless I get some Miuras, MP-4s Or TM TP musclebacks like DJ plays

Geez still Tooled!

Wow, nice Ham... I had to look the website up on that place it looked so nice. Yeah, a bit pricey, but we don't have very many places here in Ohio that look like that. In fact I just checked again to make sure this morning in case I missed one, and darned if we still don't have an ocean. I was hoping they put one in overnight, but no luck. Must be nice to have such a beautiful atmosphere like that. Now, we do have trees, and dirt. For water we have creeks (sometimes known as cricks) and ponds (not blue- brown), but we do have the waves, usually at baseball or football games or in parades... so we've got that goin' for us :)

I'm such a noob I had to look up what floating gears even was. Turns out that's almost exclusively how I drive my semi. I got my cdl and semi about ten years ago and of course started with double clutching and wasn't great at it. Another farmer told me about skipping using the clutch once you got a feel for matching road speed to engine speed and I've been a smooth sailor ever since. It was my impression it's how pretty much everyone hauling grain and pulling 80K drives. Are the over the road guys all double clutching Conrad? I do know that "floating" is bad if you're unfamiliar with a truck and doing any grinding but if you can float smoothly I thought it was totally ok? Hope I'm not damaging my tranny although I've had my semi several years so I think (hope) I'm doing ok!

When I worked for a loving company yes ago we had an out of town driver come in one time and he only used hot clutch to start and stop, never touched it after that that I saw. It was pretty impressive I must say :)

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

I actually lived in London Ontario for 2 years PD, from age 4-6 lol, I remember the looooong drive back to Halifax in the back seat of the K Car lol.

LOL you were lucky that the K-car lasted for any long drive period even if it was new back in those days--- Those were one POS car!!!

Haha Dad was a car guy back then and Loved his K Cars,he just kept fixing them lol. We must have had 5 all together but the first one he got new in 84 I think and kept it for almost ten years. Then we switched to Chevettes/Acadians and had 3 or 4 of those too lol. I can still remember dad out there in Sunday morning with a hair dryer and extension cord trying to heat up the car orator enough to get the car to start so we could go to hockey practice at 7am Sunday morning lol. I'd be just hoping and praying the dam thing wouldn't start but it always did lol.

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Geez still Tooled!

Wow, nice Ham... I had to look the website up on that place it looked so nice. Yeah, a bit pricey, but we don't have very many places here in Ohio that look like that. In fact I just checked again to make sure this morning in case I missed one, and darned if we still don't have an ocean. I was hoping they put one in overnight, but no luck. Must be nice to have such a beautiful atmosphere like that. Now, we do have trees, and dirt. For water we have creeks (sometimes known as cricks) and ponds (not blue- brown), but we do have the waves, usually at baseball or football games or in parades... so we've got that goin' for us :)

Well you guys don't have a ocean like we do but you do have Avon Lake. In my old trucking travels I went up that way a couple of times and it seemed to be a nice place. You also have Buckeye Lake which had a truck stop with good food back in the day. I did visit there a few times I had a friend who was a fellow trucker that lived there and it seemed a pretty nice place. I never was a fisherman but would go out in the lake on his boat and drink beer and watch him and his buddies fish

I largely agree with both of you guys. Man has been polluting this earth ever since he started making fire and one could argue it is simply his nature to do so. I can't argue with this view but can only add that this nature also empowers him to be the steward of his own environment. To me it necessitates that he be just that. And over the long term, his best chance of survival is that he put priority of being the steward over the polluter. So my take is yes, there needs to be advancements in technology but there also need to be checks and balances in the process of it. Changes need to be made slowly and everybody needs to understand that there is always a risk of not full comprehending all the effects of both a technological benefit and detriment.

In past confessions threads I have posted a lot of stuff about chaos theory which in essence is the mathematics of feedback loops, which also are the same mathematics that drive natural systems like life on earth. What I know about chaotic systems is that stability is truly a fleeting thing and even the slightest change of a variable may drive a system out of complete balance. Ultimately this could be enough of an imbalance to cause the death of our species. So ultimately to me, technological changes need to be made with care and caution. It is inevitable that we are going to need them, but it is naïve to think that they won't be the cause of our own downfall.

Ultimately this is why I have major issue with corporate agendas to push changes that affect our food and the environment for their own profit. (I don't even want to get started on Monsanto.) I understand completely that the issue is a complex one and there are no clear cut solutions or always a complete right or wrong. Also there is the fact that peoples' jobs and lives are at stake on both sides of the fence (BTW, thank you Chief Ill for your perspective!!!). But when it comes down to it, I am worried that corporate agendas have mostly taken precedence over altruistic ones and yes we are starting to pay the price for it.

What I see nowadays with children being allergic to this and that and not being able to eat this and that food. "Gluten free" meant nothing 20 years ago. And there were generations of families that went by before that without all these complications with diet. I would think that a lot of health issues today that weren't even conceived of in the past are due to our own technological "advancements".

What happens down the road I don't know. I do know that I support only slow technological advancements in the areas of our food and the environment. I also believe we are only starting to see the problems we have created ourselves, but again this is our nature. Only when our lives our so negatively impacted that we regress in our ways of living will I think things will ever really change. The big question to me is how bad things will get before we start to better manage this planet's resources.

Also Wolf, have you read this book?

http://www.drperlmut...vid-perlmutter/

It supports a lot of your fears about whole grains. I have only read snippets of it at my Dad's house, but it was fascinating. LOL he says that fat is good for your brain. (I just have to figure out how to move it up there from my gut.)

You make some interesting points particularly about the chaos theory stuff. The system certainy is fragile and mankind has a habit of making changes and tinkering with that system, deliberately or otherwise, not knowing what the full consequences will be. Maybe one day that tinkering will go too far.

I've not read the book you referenced, but it looks very interesting. I'm tempted to download it. My issue with grains is due to the other bad things they do to your body, but this looks like another reason not to eat them. I also know about the link between fat and brain health, though not in any detail so this could be a good read. It's laughable how fat was incorrectly demonised for decades and now people are realising fat is actually critical for our health. The tide is slowly turning in the other direction. As I like to say - fat doesn't make you fat, carbs do! It's important to remember that not all fat is made equal though and there is a massive difference between good fat (virgin coconut oil, olive oil, animal fat etc), and inflammatory industrial seed oils, which are not recommended. Anyway, thanks for the link!

Confession - I've never owned a GPS or Rangefinder. To be honest, find the laser thing a little annoying. One of the golf buds has one. He seems to have the need to scope the pin on every single damn shot. Even when we're like 200+ yards away. And announce it to me, even when I'm not asking. Frosts me a bit and I've told him about it.

As long as I can get a sprinkler head reading or yardage mark, can extrapolate from there. Usually within +/- 5 yards of what the techno reads, and that generally is close enough.

I never used anything except sprinkler heads until I moved here. Some courses here can be way off. Whether due to laziness of the grounds crew or changes made to the course. It also depth of greens. I started using phone apps. They were great except when I switched to T-Mobile and some places like Kiawah or greater charleston don't get great 4 g service. So I bought a laser. Will never go back. Although I never use it when I know I have more than 210 because F I do Its like less than 40% chance I'll get that yardage and accuracy from my club haha. I also don't use it inside 90 yards because that's when my wedge play goes into feel mode for distance control.

I have never used a rangefinder or GPS device either. I'm old school and tend to "eye it" which is probably why my distance control is so bad. A friend of mine got a GPS watch recently and it was useful having more accurate yardages, so I'm tempted to get one too - likely a Garmin.