2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Oceans Eleven Confessions to break a man's heart....

Matt J

Pigs, nice round and glad your swinging it better Bro!

Papa, just goes to show in golf distance comes from technique and speed. IMO muscle (built the right way) just helps with the consistency of the swing and physical endurance during a round, which in turn helps mental focus as well. Just keep looking back at his ball when you get to yours off the tee :taunt:

Haha ya he just wasn't hitting center of the face often. I was hitting the ball iron wise very well. Driving is getting more and more comfy. Still haven't really put into the work that judge mentioned. Just haven't time to get to the rand for actual swing work yet.

Today's round was up and down but I grinded. No penalties off the tee except one miscue that put me in a "pot" style bunker that has a steep wall and I had to wedge out. Putting was off today. Not sure why. Distance was good but my reads weren't as shape as they normally are and ended up with 35 putts. My long iron play was on point though. Hit 3-4 3 irons today and all were straight flight with a small fade. Averaged about 195. Had one into a par 5 that I was using to lay up on and I hit it 220 pin high just left haha. Came in at 91. Jist needed a little more effort from my short game today. Chips and pitches weren't the cleanest distance wise.

Forever Changing at this point.......

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Papa J I hit two 175 yard 4i shots (one off the tee and the other from the rough) just perfect yesterday. Nice high fade. Both felt like...

...BUTTERSCOTCH!!!

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

Here's the state of my game . . .

Irons/hybrids/woods = best I've ever seen

Driver = feast or famine

Wedges = adequate

Putter = hot and cold

Where are all of you at the moment?

Here's where I am.

My total game = famine

Driver: Never been easier to aim and shoot

FWs: Need to copy tempo from driver

Irons: Not bad, actually not bad at all. But, haven't tried any exotic shots yet

Wedges: As Tiger would put it "It's a process". Naaaww, the wedges are really good. My use of them......mehhh!

Putter: My Holy Grail has vacated it's spot. But, nothing else dares to fill the void.

What do they have in common?

Loss of distance

Haven't played a full round yet

Glad to confess that I have plans for the summer. As long as I keep expectations at bay, I'll be awwhight.

I also plan to bring my Precious at the Exec 11 holes, next week. (I just called, they have electric carts) I she likes the outing, I'll take her out once every week or two.

That's where I'm at for 2016.

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

Ninja, I forgot to mention, WHEN I qualify and get ,my butt out on the Philippine Golf Tour I will indeed let you know! Lots of nice courses out there for sure, Wack Wack comes to mind, also the last Q school was at Eagle Ridge I believe which many of my friends who've played there say is a beauty as well. The tour looks well run, and of course the Philippine Peso to US Dollar rate will help me big time when it comes to travel, food, entry fees, etc.

Ninja, I forgot to mention, WHEN I qualify and get ,my butt out on the Philippine Golf Tour I will indeed let you know! Lots of nice courses out there for sure, Wack Wack comes to mind, also the last Q school was at Eagle Ridge I believe which many of my friends who've played there say is a beauty as well. The tour looks well run, and of course the Philippine Peso to US Dollar rate will help me big time when it comes to travel, food, entry fees, etc.

Yes, WHEN you get there, lemme know. 50:1 exchange rate 'tain't bad. LOL also if you don't hire a personal driver, you can take the jeepneys or tricycles to every tournament. LOL I can picture all the locals staring at you with clubs with a look of "WTF?" And if you really want to play 'pinoy style', you should play in flip-flops (aka 'chinelas')!

Registered Bladeocrat

LOL Chinelas yes! Oh oh Kuya Ninja! When I used to go there every month to visit my Dad and get my braces adjusted people would stare at me anyway on the bus. They would speak to me in Tagalog, then ask me if I play for the PBA haha. I have friends there, plus I am part owner of a condo in Pasay City, my Dad left that for us when he passed. I also almost when to High School there at AU (Angeles University) my life would have been completely different if I had just told my Dad "yes" lol.

Looked up the scores for this years qualifying tournament for the PGT, I can do it! I'll need to work pretty darn hard but it's doable. Plus it seems a lot of the courses there visually look similar to many of the courses here so I'll feel right at home. And the heat......meh, it's just as hot here lol

I'm also posting to I can get Papa's post out of "between page purgatory" LOL

Edit: Right before I hit "post" Papa post finally showed up on my screen

Papa J I hit two 175 yard 4i shots (one off the tee and the other from the rough) just perfect yesterday. Nice high fade. Both felt like...

...BUTTERSCOTCH!!!

Pure long irons are just fantastic haha

I miss that feeling!!! I love hitting 3 iron off the tee, many of my golf buddies used to try to get me to leave my driver in the trunk and just hit 3 iron. I was sometimes wild with the driver lol. And for years hounding me to get a 3 wood. I finally have a 3 wood now so I'm excited to see how it effects my game.

PH - Wack Wack that's a name of a golf course? LOL. Sounds like the local public that I play with the Mrs. on Sunday afternoons. Except I call it the "Wack and Hack".

State of the game as of 5/2/15 @ 6:37 EDT:

Driver: Better than ever. At least with keeping the ball in the fairway. A inexpensive driver switch this spring after experimentation last fall. Jettisoned the G25 that I was all over the place with. Went to a slightly smaller head. Seemingly corrected some problems.

Fairways: Not a problem. Decent distance. Able to elevate a 3W again and thats back in the bag for a little extra distance and off tees when needed. Quite satisfied with how I'm hitting all the FW's. Straight. Become a big fan of V Steels, shafted with PL Platinums, seem to be a perfect combination for me.

Hybrids: Less enamored all the time. Struggle hitting them with consistency. Now loosing confidence with it, which usually means their days are numbered. Have played a 7W for years so that's a trusty regular for 175. Got the new (old) 9W today. So need to pull the head and shaft it up. Anticipating good things in the future for this one. Yes, a V Steel.

Wedges: As long as I stick with the trusty Hogan BeCu SI, all is reasonably good. Unfortunately, I tend to be a wedge fiddler, trying out different ones to see if there is something else I like. Usually the anser is no. Sure I can hit them fat on occasion, but 90% of decent wedge play is the confidence and feel in the implement IMO. And to pull the 60* from the bag and hide it away. Don't need it, don't like it, can't hit it.

Putter: What's hot today, is not tomorrow. So I have multiple "go-to's" when one starts acting up. Always been that way, even to the point of carrying two putters in the bag for awhile. Bringing the Rossie II mallet out of retirement because of a temperamental putter with short putts. The MJ shoulders back has been a real revelation. Now, as someone mentioned, get it ingrained. Putting is not usually a big concern, always been better than average at it.

Irons: Are an absolute mess, and thats putting it mildly. Seemingly stuck in a no-man's land of not being able to hit the GI clubs (i20's) nor the MB's ('99 Apexs). Fats and thins is all I'm currently hitting. Really need to hit the range and get some things sorted out. But obligations and the weather has limited the opportunities greatly the last couple of weeks. Very frustrating. Especially because my iron play, as last season wound down, was really good. Relative to my capabilities that is.

But the season is still early, lots of time to get things sorted out. I remain optimistic.

Mdg - Play with the Mrs. a couple of times a week usually. Once the weather gets fully nice. Rather enjoy it. Usually till about the 6th hole, when I find the need to point out an OBVIOUS swing or alignment issue. She gets p****ed, I cop an attitude, and it takes a hole for both of us to settle down. Some things never change. A guy simply cannot tell a SO anything out on the golf course. One of these days I'm going to remember this and keep my mouth shut.

Stopped by the LGS, again, while out and about on errands today. Hit some irons, they left me alone. Hit one brand that begins with a C that were shafted with Recoils. Pretty nice. Lightweight for sure, but not UL. Seemingly could still feel the club during the swing. Ten minutes off of mats is not a large enough sample size, but of everything I tried today, this one felt the best. Just say'n.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Just curious, which Confessors have played? So far I know of only dan360 and I, but also didn't scotee and Conrad1953 play once? What about PeanutsDaddy and Pigems?

I've got 6 Rounds in so far, 4 last week and 2 this week. It's been sunny and between 2* and 10*C but has been very windy. Got one really good round and 5 very choppy rounds, chalking it up to early season rust and not much practice over this winter. I'll get it sorted out soon enough. I think going from flat, clean simulator shots to a real course where you rarely have a flat lie after your tee shot isn't helping either lol. Gotta love this game eh ;)

My bad. I meant which confessors have played together? Sorry!

My bad lol, Stoner Moment :drag:

I think PD is around a 24-30 hour drive away from me, not too too far lol

You'd be correct Pigs. I made the drive a decade ago, too bad we weren't acquainted back then.

When G64 make our pilgrimage we are playing Cabot Trail. : )

Also, so cool to see that MDG and myspinonit met up on the West Coast. Two fine Canadian gentlemen.

Haha!!!

He came HERE to Brossard. (Montreal's South Shore)

His wife's brother, living close by, has health issues......

But, we did meet for lunch. Fine, fine gentleman, and oddly enough, almost exactly as I pictured him....Down to the casual Golf apparel. :good:

I actually lived in London Ontario for 2 years PD, from age 4-6 lol, I remember the looooong drive back to Halifax in the back seat of the K Car lol.

Here's my age popping up again. I drove one of those K Cars, then made the mistake of buying a '77 Aspen. My Precious had fallen in love with the "wire imitation" hubcaps.

EDIT:

If eligible, I joined the OGA

(Pssssst, Pigs. Look under his avatar.)

Registered Bladeocrat

(Pssssst, Pigs. Look under his avatar.)

I'm on Mobile, what am I not seeing? Lol

I actually lived in London Ontario for 2 years PD, from age 4-6 lol, I remember the looooong drive back to Halifax in the back seat of the K Car lol.

Here's my age popping up again. I drove one of those K Cars, then made the mistake of buying a '77 Aspen. My Precious had fallen in love with the "wire imitation" hubcaps.

Oh the K cars, a good Reliant Automobile lol

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Somebody makes a Smokey and the Bandit reference and I'm outta likes! Argh!

"The ONLY time I take my hat off is when I'm having sex!" :rofl:

My bad. I meant which confessors have played together? Sorry!

My bad lol, Stoner Moment :drag:

I think PD is around a 24-30 hour drive away from me, not too too far lol

You'd be correct Pigs. I made the drive a decade ago, too bad we weren't acquainted back then.

When G64 make our pilgrimage we are playing Cabot Trail. : )

Also, so cool to see that MDG and myspinonit met up on the West Coast. Two fine Canadian gentlemen.

Mrs P did mention today about wanting to plan a trip to Cape Breton for a golf/spa vacation. ;)

Is Mrs P back? Your Mrs P?

Did I miss something??

Really enjoying reading your game breakdowns gents. It appears we all have areas of focus as the season begins. There's much hope in the group.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

Somebody makes a Smokey and the Bandit reference and I'm outta likes! Argh!

Gotta long way to go and a short time to get there!! BTDT, lol.

It twas a great movie. Showing my age but I remember when Coors beer

was not sold east of the Rockies and so it was highly coveted in the east.

When I was a young buck and not of age yet, Coors was our beer of choice

in SoCal. We were gullible back then haha.

What was/is your CB Handle Rad?? Do CB radios still get used or have cell phones killed them?

No handle Pigs. CBs are still tools of the trade but we no longer use

ours. I have it in the sidebox, lol, and that's where it stays.

For "team" trucks they are a nuisance with all the noise and chatter

and mess up someone trying to sleep in the bunk.

They were fun when I was a n00b but the thrill wore off after awhile;

just like floatin' gears and blowin' peoples ears of with the jake brakes.

My Dad bought a Cadillac with a built in CB when I was a kid. He used it to avoid speed traps when we took long trips in it. I remember hearing different handles and such and code speak, but also normal convo every now and then. Later my Dad got a radar detector and we stopped using it.

WOWWW!

I had a Radar Detector in my '81 Celica Silhouette. They were worth every penny at the time...!

With today's prices for "driving a little faster than I'm told", I'll bet they are still a bargain!!

Here's the state of my game . . .

Irons/hybrids/woods = best I've ever seen

Driver = feast or famine

Wedges = adequate

Putter = hot and cold

Where are all of you at the moment?

Here's where I am.

My total game = famine

Driver: Never been easier to aim and shoot

FWs: Need to copy tempo from driver

Irons: Not bad, actually not bad at all. But, haven't tried any exotic shots yet

Wedges: As Tiger would put it "It's a process". Naaaww, the wedges are really good. My use of them......mehhh!

Putter: My Holy Grail has vacated it's spot. But, nothing else dares to fill the void.

What do they have in common?

Loss of distance

Haven't played a full round yet

Glad to confess that I have plans for the summer. As long as I keep expectations at bay, I'll be awwhight.

I also plan to bring my Precious at the Exec 11 holes, next week. (I just called, they have electric carts) I she likes the outing, I'll take her out once every week or two.

That's where I'm at for 2016.

It's so cool to hear that she still gets out on the course with you. When my wife is with me, it is always a good golf day.

And LOL since this is a confessions thread, I confess that I think of Gollum whenever you say "My Precious".

Registered Bladeocrat

Whew, you guys are beast. 2 days away and I had 3 pages to swim through. Couldn't give out likes cause I would have been tooled after the first page.

So, Sat I played the dreaded 5.5 hr round. It was beautiful and the course was packed. On one par 5, there were 5 groups. I'm often and advocate of 'just calming down' when people complain about a 4:15 round, but this was torture. Thank god it only happens a few times a year. Care to guess how I played?

Later that night I was watching Austin City Limits (great show), and there was this young lady, Sarah Jarosz, she just blew me away. Rad, I know you are a fan of Alison Kraus; this girl plays guitar, mandolin, and banjo virtuoso level with a progressive style of blugrass that had me transfixed. Her fiddle player is unreal. She is also a singer/sonwriter with a sweet voice (not quite as angelic as Alison). Check it out:

Whew, you guys are beast. 2 days away and I had 3 pages to swim through. Couldn't give out likes cause I would have been tooled after the first page.

So, Sat I played the dreaded 5.5 hr round. It was beautiful and the course was packed. On one par 5, there were 5 groups. I'm often and advocate of 'just calming down' when people complain about a 4:15 round, but this was torture. Thank god it only happens a few times a year. Care to guess how I played?

Later that night I was watching Austin City Limits (great show), and there was this young lady, Sarah Jarosz, she just blew me away. Rad, I know you are a fan of Alison Kraus; this girl plays guitar, mandolin, and banjo virtuoso level with a progressive style of blugrass that had me transfixed. Her fiddle player is unreal. She is also a singer/sonwriter with a sweet voice (not quite as angelic as Alison). Check it out:

[media=]

[/media]

Awesome Thug. I love seeing new talent keep coming along and it amazes

me how skillful these young people are at mastering many different instruments.

She's wonderful and sings well too.

I've always though bluegrass instruments had so much potential to sort of branch

out into other styles and forms of music. There are a few that have done it but not

many.

I remember hearing a recording of Bela Fleck playing a Chopin piano etude on the

banjo. Pretty wild. He takes his banjo into all sorts of musical adventures but he's

a rare bird.

Really enjoying reading your game breakdowns gents. It appears we all have areas of focus as the season begins. There's much hope in the group.

Driver: B-. I am liking my 43.5" strong 3w as driver. I am not spraying it nearly as bad as my 460cc driver. I am losing shots to the right every now and then, but for the most part I can play for only one miss now which is better than two.

Woods: B+. Being a short knocker, woods have always been my go to clubs. I know how to hit a lot of different shots with them.

Irons: B+. I've learned so much about the swing through my Confessions brethren and it is paying off the best in my iron play. I'm definitely making more GIRs than ever before.

Wedges (pitching and chipping): D+. This part of my game has really fallen off. I can still hit the great shot every now and then, but lately I have been mishitting both pitches and chips at least once or twice a round. And it has been both chunks and skulls.

Putting: C. I'm fine at medium and short range. I have always felt I am a good reader and can make putts from 8-15 feet out better than average because I can read the breaks well. My issue is with long putts lately. I've been horrible from 25 feet out or more. I'll typically pull them way left when I do get the distance right, and when I get the line right, I am 10 feet short.

So from all this, my utmost priority in golf is to get my short game back to its old form. I'm going to practice it until I can no longer use that as an excuse. This season, I want to be the best short game player that I have ever been.

Registered Bladeocrat

[media=]

[/media]

Awesome Thug. I love seeing new talent keep coming along and it amazes

me how skillful these young people are at mastering many different instruments.

She's wonderful and sings well too.

I've always though bluegrass instruments had so much potential to sort of branch

out into other styles and forms of music. There are a few that have done it but not

many.

I remember hearing a recording of Bela Fleck playing a Chopin piano etude on the

banjo. Pretty wild. He takes his banjo into all sorts of musical adventures but he's

a rare bird.

Bela is literally a freak of nature. He plays stringed instruments in way that freezes your brain trying to keep up with the intricate notes and chord changes. So entertaining that someone can have that talent.

De what's your issue with pitches and chips? I had multiple things going on and decided to just quiet everything way down. Use my core and accept that I won't get up and down every time so just relax. Has led to some good shots.

Made it out tonight during the wife and boy's haircuts. Six pars, but a bogey and two doubles. Water and a tree on a par 5 for a 7, and an absolute fried egg on a par 3 bunker for a 5. Driver was awful tonight but short game was solid. Definitely didn't play as well as I did at league last week.

Love Sarah Jarosz's sound! My pandora app plays Tell Me True and Can't Hide. Also saw her on Austin City Limits. Wife and I are hoping she'll play in Springfield sometime and we can check her out!

Do you remember on ACL the one instrumental piece where she played acoustic guitar; she played a fast complex melody intertwined with her fiddle player. Intense.

De what's your issue with pitches and chips? I had multiple things going on and decided to just quiet everything way down. Use my core and accept that I won't get up and down every time so just relax. Has led to some good shots.

Made it out tonight during the wife and boy's haircuts. Six pars, but a bogey and two doubles. Water and a tree on a par 5 for a 7, and an absolute fried egg on a par 3 bunker for a 5. Driver was awful tonight but short game was solid. Definitely didn't play as well as I did at league last week.

My issue is tension and being ball-bound. I also come out of the shot too soon because I want to watch it. I know what I need to do but I lose confidence before the moment of truth. Same as what I realized the other day about staying extended, I need to do the same with short wedges and also keep my arms relaxed. I just need to rebuild trust in my arms extension. It's also past the point of feeling that I must get up and down. It is more so literally the fear of mishitting it and then actually mishitting it because of that fear. The vicious negative feedback spiral.

Registered Bladeocrat

I notice with my short game shots that rhythm is everything. If my backswing gets too quick I mishit putts, chips, and pitches. If it stays in tempo then I'm good. I have a habit of being too long on the backswing on every shot so rushing is bad.

I would imagine it works the same way with a person who has quick tempo. Those people usually have short backswings with acceleration. If they slow down it could have a bad outcome.

TOOLED!