Oceans Eleven Confessions to break a man's heart....

Matt J

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scotee, didn't you already say that? Lol. I keed. ;)

I noticed the same. Short on driver. About the same or touch longer on short irons.

No spin on short game shots. I still don't understand how spin works with compression and grooves around the green. I know how to do it. Just don't know why.

Here is my best guess. My iron swing is relatively slower than my driver swing. So my irons are optimally compressing the ball on irons and over compressing with driver. Around the greens the ball does not compress like a full shot. The spin is more influenced by the type of cover on the ball. Urethane being softer and more "grippy" with more spin than the harder Surlyn cover. The Duo is a soft ball with a hard cover. Help me Ninja!

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

Well my 3 wood finally came in woohoo!! :taunt: Now if I could actually get to hit the dang thing this year that would be great ;)

Very nice stick sir!!! Me likey!!!

String up an old blanket in the back yard so you can beat balls into it?? Requires a piece of string and an old blanket and a couple trees or posts :)

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

11. Ten more confessions to go.

10. I feel weird posting again. WRX isn't the same to me anymore.

9. I really appreciate all the support given to me in these threads. It meant a lot.

8. Master dan360 isn't quite as crazy in person as he is a WRXer. But I'm still not sure if I will go anywhere near his property...willingly.

7. It is very nice to see more confessors. I hope my man benden comes back.

6. It is VERY nice to see more confessors man up and play blades.

5. I'm running out of confessions.

4. Ya'll TOOLs better like this post.

3. Gout sucks!!!

2. I'm hitting my irons better than ever, thanks to confessions threads and PMs that spawned from it.

1. Miura shmiura this...

Man glad you are back!! The Miuras look good!

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

The less loft on the face, all other things equal, the more the ball is compressed. The more the ball compression, the more you feel it. Nothing feels sweeter than puring a long iron blade.

And I will add to that with a balata ball!!!

Anyone getting a set of wishon sterling. When I had my driver/3w reshafted my fitter had demos. Did not try them. Wishon requires you go through one of his fitters. No one has hit them yet but they are sold out thru June already.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

I noticed the same. Short on driver. About the same or touch longer on short irons.

No spin on short game shots. I still don't understand how spin works with compression and grooves around the green. I know how to do it. Just don't know why.

Here is my best guess. My iron swing is relatively slower than my driver swing. So my irons are optimally compressing the ball on irons and over compressing with driver. Around the greens the ball does not compress like a full shot. The spin is more influenced by the type of cover on the ball. Urethane being softer and more "grippy" with more spin than the harder Surlyn cover. The Duo is a soft ball with a hard cover. Help me Ninja!

I think you're right. However, I didn't really want to know. Lol!!!

It seems the older I get the more I learn. The more I learn, the more I don't know, even though I know more. If I keep learning more and more about this game, I'll be a complete idiot in no time.

I'm okay with being an incomplete idiot. :D

I've already learned enough about this game to be.... See, I can't even think of anything!! ;)

MC, when it gets cold, the compressibility of the ball changes. It doesn't compress as much so it also doesn't go as far when it rebounds off the clubface. It is roughly a linear relationship with temperature.

And that is a good reason also for slower swingers to play a softer ball all

year round. They'll be able to compress it more and get more distance.

I noticed that when I first put a SuperSoft in play. I hit it further and also

it held it's line better with less side to side curvature. It's a little lacking

around the greens though so I'll likely switch to a urethane covered soft

ball like the ChromeSoft or something similar.

Dead on it Rad that is why I switched from the Pro Vs to Srixon Soft Feels or Bridgestone Treo Softs (which they do not make any more) last year. Now playing here lately in the mud I pulled out some used Pro Vs. last Saturday I pulled out some Soft Feels and noticed the difference in distance. And with me being a feel player the Srixons feel like a balata with those VIPs. Remember I played those VIPs at the end of the balata age using the Titleist Professional 90s

Doug, I also have a set or i20s, lol.....and a set of G15s, Rapture V2s and S58s

and G25s. I also have different dots in them, lol...i20s and G25s are red dot, G15s

are orange, Raptures black and S58s blue....so from 2 flat to1 up. I covered ALL

my bases.

And now the Macs will be here today.

Have you tried any of these Rad i5,10,15 or G5,10. Just been looking around in Global Golf and been thinking.....dangerously. Anyone else that has please retort. And congrats on the Macs Rad.

Thanks Q. i5s are the holy grail of the i series. Lots and lots of love

for them. i10s and i15s were duds.

G5s and G10s are both very easy to hit and still in many bags.

Between all those choices you listed I would hands down go with

the i5s. One of the best Ping ever made. That was a great year

for Ping. They made the S58s that year, too.

It seems the older I get the more I learn. The more I learn, the more I don't know, even though I know more. If I keep learning more and more about this game, I'll be a complete idiot in no time.

I've already learned enough about this game to be.... See, I can't even think of anything!! ;)

You live in Illinois, work for the usps, and play golf lefty. What more do you need? You should move on to your next life goal. Long ago when I reached the pinnacle I set my sights on nitwit. Total upgrade from idiot, complete or not. I am on step 5 of the 12 step ... Joining golfwrx completed step 4

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

Doug, I also have a set or i20s, lol.....and a set of G15s, Rapture V2s and S58s

and G25s. I also have different dots in them, lol...i20s and G25s are red dot, G15s

are orange, Raptures black and S58s blue....so from 2 flat to1 up. I covered ALL

my bases.

Have you tried any of these Rad i5,10,15 or G5,10. Just been looking around in Global Golf and been thinking.....dangerously. Anyone else that has please retort. And congrats on the Macs Rad.

How about i3s? I played them with the JZ Cushin shaft for 12-13 years... come to think, it was until I joined WRX... how's that for a coincidence?

IMO, every bit as good as the newer irons, if they fit your game - narrower sole and less bounce (I believe) than the modern i series irons.

Anyone getting a set of wishon sterling. When I had my driver/3w reshafted my fitter had demos. Did not try them. Wishon requires you go through one of his fitters. No one has hit them yet but they are sold out thru June already.

GLK, I think Bill in here is looking to get a set and he will review them

for us. I don't know if he has them on order. I'm sure he'll chime in.

I never liked the Duo myself except with the vintage stuff with the persimmon woods. I lost yardage with the driver with them and on the greens they came off the putter funny and were clicky feeling

my bases.

How about i3s? I played them with the JZ Cushin shaft for 12-13 years... come to think, it was until I joined WRX... how's that for a coincidence?

IMO, every bit as good as the newer irons, if they fit your game - narrower sole and less bounce (I believe) than the modern i series irons.

I always liked the looks of the i15's, I remember wanting them when I was in my Ping phase and had the g20 driver and i15 fairway and hybrid. Or the Anser Forger irons and wedges were sweet too :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

GLK, I think Bill in here is looking to get a set and he will review them

for us. I don't know if he has them on order. I'm sure he'll chime in.

My fitter sId they are sold out thru June already. I farted around with them in his garage workshop. Pretty weird to me. Wishon make you go tru one of his fitters since the club still needs to be tweaked for each person.

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

MC, when it gets cold, the compressibility of the ball changes. It doesn't compress as much so it also doesn't go as far when it rebounds off the clubface. It is roughly a linear relationship with temperature.

it held it's line better with less side to side curvature. It's a little lacking

Dead on it Rad that is why I switched from the Pro Vs to Srixon Soft Feels or Bridgestone Treo Softs (which they do not make any more) last year. Now playing here lately in the mud I pulled out some used Pro Vs. last Saturday I pulled out some Soft Feels and noticed the difference in distance. And with me being a feel player the Srixons feel like a balata with those VIPs. Remember I played those VIPs at the end of the balata age using the Titleist Professional 90s

I never got the chance to put many balata balls in play, and don't remember what they felt like. The softest ball on the market that I've hit is the Lady Precept. There's something about hitting a marshmallow that's appealling, lol.

Not really my cup of tea so to speak. But with that being said Tom Wishon is a genius on club design and I am sure they are engineered correctly. And as far as his fitters I know they will be fitted correctly he does not let just anyone be a dealer or fitter for his company

my bases.

I always liked the looks of the i15's, I remember wanting them when I was in my Ping phase and had the g20 driver and i15 fairway and hybrid. Or the Anser Forger irons and wedges were sweet too :)

I still play i15 hybrids. They look nice and perform well when the knucklead swinging the club does his part. No real desird to ho hybrids.

I also have an i15 in my "museum" of Ping drivers.

I never got the chance to put many balata balls in play, and don't remember what they felt like. The softest ball on the market that I've hit is the Lady Precept. There's something about hitting a marshmallow that's appealling, lol.

Those soft feels are a really good ball. I have used them on and off over the years for winter golf. Same with the Srixon AD333, which I think was similar to the Q Star in North America. Great ball.

As for Balatas, I remember growing up the Titleist Tour Balata was the ball to have. I greatly coveted those things and crikes, they were soft. Where they fell down was in the durability stakes. They looked like crap after one hole and if you thinned one, a Grand Canyonesque gouge was almost certainly the result.

my bases.

I still play i15 hybrids. They look nice and perform well when the knucklead swinging the club does his part. No real desird to ho hybrids.

LOL, I heard the i15 was a tough driver to hit. It's funny that Ping keeps

developing these i series drivers and their tour staff puts the more

forgiving G series in their bags. I think they finally stopped making

them.

my bases.

I really liked that hybrid as well, I should have never sold it. Or the 3 wood. Loved the shape of the heads :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

You live in Illinois, work for the usps, and play golf lefty. What more do you need? You should move on to your next life goal. Long ago when I reached the pinnacle I set my sights on nitwit. Total upgrade from idiot, complete or not. I am on step 5 of the 12 step ... Joining golfwrx completed step 4

LMAO!

Where I work I'm considered a genius!! (I'll let that statement stand on its own merit). ;)

Nitwit seems like a lofty goal, Guy. Congrats for your achievement, Dumbro!! :D

Ninja, even though I came to confessions after your 'sabbatical' started, nonetheless, WELCOME BACK!!

Thx Wolf. It is a pleasure to cross paths with you finally. Your posts are always enjoyable to read.

LOL as the confessions "youtube guy", here's a tribute and good golf song for ya...

[media=]http://youtu.be/oOg5VxrRTi0[/media]

Fully agreed. Great to cross your path too. I look forward to learning a lot from you - folks around these parts say your knowledge is second to none!

Great choice of song by the way. Classic Duran Duran. Ordinary World and Rio are a couple more of my favourites. They're still doing the 80's reunion tours too, keeping their bank balances nicely topped up.

them.

Yeah, it's all or nothing. I agree about the pros eschewing the i series drivers. Kinda funny story - my friend (~scratch) broke his driver this past summer, so I opened up the doors to the "museum". He hit and passed on the Rapture (9*, 10.5*, 12*), the V2, the G15, Burner 07, RazrFit, and chose the i15. Hardest one to hit, but he liked it the best, lol.

I picked up an i25 this winter, perhaps the last of the i series drivers, and I'm loving it. Might be the first driver that is consistently longer for me.

scoteef that is a pretty good explanation. In short, there is a point at which you can put so much force on the ball during impact such that it stays compressed against the face too long and the clubhead actually has to slow down a little in order for the ball to decompress and spring off the face. A ball that is high in compression rating may be more optimal at lower swing speeds as you stated as such for your irons.

The moral of this story: scoteef is a BEAST with his driver. He has been pulling teef for so long that his hands and wrists are like Popeye's. He can't play those girlie man balls.

In regards to spin off the face of the club, there are ALWAYS two ways it does this:

1) A drag or shear force is applied tangential to the surface of the ball. This is more a classical view of spin. Simply put, the ball rolls off the face of the club. This is what dictates the amount of spin the most with the higher lofted clubs. With respect to spinning off the face, this is also where the cover of the ball comes into play a little more. Certain covers may have a higher coefficient of friction and thus should spin a little better based on this physics.

2) One side of the ball is compressed more than another. The more compressed side will "spring" off the face more than the other side. This puts an imbalanced force on the ball as a unit and so the ball spins around its center based on that difference in compression. The spin from stronger lofted clubs is more influenced by this physics than 1) above. Cover material differences will impact this type of spin less since it has nothing to do with the coefficient of friction of the cover. The amount of ball compression, however is impacted by this a lot, as is the clubhead speed and also the ball internal construction.

Both of these are at play when the ball spins off the clubface. The relative magnitude of each is highly dependent upon the clubface loft. And cover material comes into play with 1) more than 2).

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

them.

Yeah, it's all or nothing. I agree about the pros eschewing the i series drivers. Kinda funny story - my friend (~scratch) broke his driver this past summer, so I opened up the doors to the "museum". He hit and passed on the Rapture (9*, 10.5*, 12*), the V2, the G15, Burner 07, RazrFit, and chose the i15. Hardest one to hit, but he liked it the best, lol.

I picked up an i25 this winter, perhaps the last of the i series drivers, and I'm loving it. Might be the first driver that is consistently longer for me.

I had an i15, probably one of the nicest looking drivers I've ever seen. I had just got back into golf at the time and I had my off days with it. However, when butternuts'd that thing went and went , plus it felt and sounded great! I let someone borrow it, and never saw it again. If I still had it I might not have ever bought another driver. Feast or famine with that bad boy LOL

tooledededed

scoteef that is a pretty good explanation. In short, there is a point at which you can put so much force on the ball during impact such that it stays compressed against the face too long and the clubhead actually has to slow down a little in order for the ball to decompress and spring off the face. A ball that is high in compression rating may be more optimal at lower swing speeds as you stated as such for your irons.

The moral of this story: scoteef is a BEAST with his driver. He has been pulling teef for so long that his hands and wrists are like Popeye's. He can't play those girlie man balls.

In regards to spin off the face of the club, there are ALWAYS two ways it does this:

1) A drag or shear force is applied tangential to the surface of the ball. This is more a classical view of spin. Simply put, the ball rolls off the face of the club. This is what dictates the amount of spin the most with the higher lofted clubs. With respect to spinning off the face, this is also where the cover of the ball comes into play a little more. Certain covers may have a higher coefficient of friction and thus should spin a little better based on this physics.

2) One side of the ball is compressed more than another. The more compressed side will "spring" off the face more than the other side. This puts an imbalanced force on the ball as a unit and so the ball spins around its center based on that difference in compression. The spin from stronger lofted clubs is more influenced by this physics than 1) above. Cover material differences will impact this type of spin less since it has nothing to do with the coefficient of friction of the cover. The amount of ball compression, however is impacted by this a lot, as is the clubhead speed and also the ball internal construction.

Both of these are at play when the ball spins off the clubface. The relative magnitude of each is highly dependent upon the clubface loft. And cover material comes into play with 1) more than 2).

Well that is exactly what I was going to say but I only had time for "grippy"

So in short, I concur.

Thanks for bailing me out :)

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am