Oceans Eleven Confessions to break a man's heart....

Matt J

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just so everyone knows...

I cleaned my clubs before I played today! :D

I love hitting long irons. It just feels so good when you pure one.

Cool stuff Rad. Can you try and describe to me what that feels like...because I wouldn't know.

LOL, Wolf, it feels physically the same as flushing a 4 iron or a 6 iron or

an 8 iron. It's the "knowing" that you did it with a 3 iron that makes it

"feel" so good along with watching the ball flight. So it's partly the feel

in your hands and partly the feel in your mind....sound included.

Ha ha, thanks. I just closed my eyes after reading your words and tried to imagine that crisp feeling of puring a 3 iron. I almost got it, only the last time I hit my 8 or 6 irons out of the middle was a few years ago, and they were flukes, so I don't have a whole lot to go off.

I guess I'll have to live my dreams of ball striking prowess vicariously through you from now on...

Wolf, I hate to break it to you, but I think Rad was just trying to make you feel good. With a long iron, it takes longer for the clubhead to arrive at the ball and longer for the vibration to travel up the shaft to your hands - the delayed gratification is soooo much sweeter ... even if it is only an extra 0.0001 sec.

I'm going off memory (which is dicey for me), but I did flush a Hogan 2i as recently as last September.

[rant] It is a travesty that Callaway gets to use the name Apex. I know - trademarks and all that, but that name is synonymous with Hogan. You spend millions on advertising, Callaway, think up a new name. [/rant]

The less loft on the face, all other things equal, the more the ball is compressed. The more the ball compression, the more you feel it. Nothing feels sweeter than puring a long iron blade.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

The less loft on the face, all other things equal, the more the ball is compressed. The more the ball compression, the more you feel it. Nothing feels sweeter than puring a long iron blade.

I'm not gonna lie, I nutted the 2 iron from my 731's a couple times at the simulator the day I had them there and it is definitely a sweet feeling for sure. Not the easiest thing in the world to do though, with the jacked lofts in that set that 2 iron is probably closer to an old 1 iron hahaha

Good to have you back Den!!!

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Inspired by the postings about 200 yard flushed baby fades with forged long irons, took the refurbed Apex II's to the range yesterday. After sufficient warm-up with the higher numbers, proceeded to try the 2i. Made 10+ attempts, balls that traveled maybe 100 yards, and the only sensory feedback being the stinging in my arms and hands. Finally, with one swing made perfect contact. The ball ceased to exist at contact, flew straight as an arrow with a low boring trajectory, about 190 yards. Mission accomplished. The club was promptly placed back in the bag. Wanted to remember the moment while it was still fresh, without contamination by additional bad shots. Don't believe I'll be using it "out in the wild" at a course. I like blades, but I'm not stoopid.

In agreement with CD on the Callaway Apex thing. That's why any Hogan acquisitions will be pre-2003. Try to do my minuscule part on keeping the Apex name synonymous with the Hogan brand.

Welcome back from purgatory DeNinny. We haven't been formally introduced IIRC. I like blades (aka MB's). A distinction that was pointed out to me awhile back. Terminology. But my handicap isn't sufficiently low enough to play them. Do so anyway....because I want to. I'm a blade poser.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

WORD!! - that's what we used to say.

I know, right? - that's the most recent version of "word". It may be "Like so 2015". IDK.

Anyways... part of the allure of puring a long iron is they are arguably the hardest club to hit. Some people struggle with different clubs but the satisfaction of nailing a long iron helps add to the feeling that tingles in your naughty parts. ;)

Well I just added up all my posts on the various Confession threads. Why you query.....well cause I'm an exciting guy.

Total 1695

High 1001 first thread

Low 9 tenth thread, you guys were keeping me up way to late.

Wow Q I wouldn’t even Qnow how to find that info. Of Quorse I’m not from Pluto. With all this moving I hardly have time to post or play around a round. I’m going for Quality over Quantity. Oh wait. I did play around a round this week and had an eagle. Now am I bragging or complaining? Quary on :)

Just went back thru all the old Conf. threads, to right of thread you see replies and views. Just click on replies and box will come up showing everyone and # of posts. Nuclear Eyes told me about that.

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

11. Ten more confessions to go.

10. I feel weird posting again. WRX isn't the same to me anymore.

9. I really appreciate all the support given to me in these threads. It meant a lot.

8. Master dan360 isn't quite as crazy in person as he is a WRXer. But I'm still not sure if I will go anywhere near his property...willingly.

7. It is very nice to see more confessors. I hope my man benden comes back.

6. It is VERY nice to see more confessors man up and play blades.

5. I'm running out of confessions.

4. Ya'll TOOLs better like this post.

3. Gout sucks!!!

2. I'm hitting my irons better than ever, thanks to confessions threads and PMs that spawned from it.

1. Miura shmiura this...

THOSE EYES THOSE EYES.....

Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

Since you folks didn't want to discuss National Pancake day (and yes, you all probably failed to eat pancakes or even go to IHOP to get your 3 freebies!) This will not stand for today.

International Day of Awesomeness*.

Get awesome, or get out!!

255a18d8724e8ce91e02eaa03f5bd86b.jpg

* just happens to fall on the same day as Chuck's birthday, coincidence, I think not.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

And for goodness sake, don't let me down on the 14th.

pie-day-at-Kitchen-208.jpg

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

Ninja, even though I came to confessions after your 'sabbatical' started, nonetheless, WELCOME BACK!!

Thx Wolf. It is a pleasure to cross paths with you finally. Your posts are always enjoyable to read.

LOL as the confessions "youtube guy", here's a tribute and good golf song for ya...

http://youtu.be/oOg5VxrRTi0

I'm not gonna lie, I nutted the 2 iron from my 731's a couple times at the simulator the day I had them there and it is definitely a sweet feeling for sure. Not the easiest thing in the world to do though, with the jacked lofts in that set that 2 iron is probably closer to an old 1 iron hahaha

Good to have you back Den!!!

TY, TYVM, my Brosef from another Mosef.

Registered Bladeocrat

Welcome back from purgatory DeNinny. We haven't been formally introduced IIRC. I like blades (aka MB's). A distinction that was pointed out to me awhile back. Terminology. But my handicap isn't sufficiently low enough to play them. Do so anyway....because I want to. I'm a blade poser.

Wanna talk physics?

Thanks Fella. It is always great to meet a fellow blade lover. And there are A LOT of physics reasons why ANYONE can and should play blades. I only make this point because you mentioned that you *shouldn't* play them. That notion is hogwash to me from the pure science of it all. The only guys that shouldn't play blades are simply the guys that have a head case about playing them. And this is fine.

In my personal experience, I always seem to shoot my best scores with blades and I have played CBs in parallel with them to prove this. Again, there is simple physics that explains it. No magic to it.

Physics is a topic that seems to get me in the most WRX trouble for some odd reason. I don't mind talking it at all. PMs may be better though.

Registered Bladeocrat

Again welcome back. The "blades v. handicap" line was a attempt at some satire on my part. The Conventional Wisdom, Prevailing Thought, Consensus Opinion and Dominant Ideology being one needs to be of a certain skill set and handicap to play them. And all things being equal, one should use the irons that maximizes forgiveness. An opinion that I do not subscribe to. Played my best golf last year once I fully committed to the '99 Apexs. This required mentally removing the self doubt that questioned my capability. Proof was in the results. Especially so with the scoring clubs, from 150 yards in. They have rendered the i20's which were the prior front liners, ponderous and almost un-hitable. So what if I can't hit the low numbers worth a damn, have other sticks for that.

The physics line was a poor attempt at humor (now edited). I'm partially aware of the issues that landed you in the "hoosegow" to begin with. My apologies. Furthermore, physics made my head spin during my schooling years. To many equations to learn.

To be continued............currently TOOL'ed.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Well, yeah, there's that physics and reality stuff... but, I try not to let that creep into my golf game.

Hee hee I finally caved and gave in to all the physics. Call me a sucker. The way I see it, you either need to be completely a feel and non-technical golfer OR you have to go ALL-IN on it and know it as thoroughly as possible. If you are only partially right or have a partial understanding, then you only can partially troubleshoot an issue. So for me, once I started down the technical road, I can never stop. But it is now paying off in spades for me and my game.

Ignorance is bliss.

And BTW I love your avatar and WRX name.

Fella, no worries on editing any post for me and I have no issue with anything you post. I tend to deadpan my humor too. I have no issue talking tech and physics up until it draws trolls to me, and my response is based on that issue and had nothing to do with your post.

Heehee, going TOOL is liberating and a curse. FYI Brosef Pigems is the first TOOL WRXer that we know of. Between us two we determined you get about 75 total in a rolling 24 hr cycle. So if you want to reset all of them, you have to wait 24 hrs from your last like. Otherwise you only get some back based on how many you gave away 24 hrs prior.

Registered Bladeocrat

Again welcome back. The "blades v. handicap" line was a attempt at some satire on my part. The Conventional Wisdom, Prevailing Thought, Consensus Opinion and Dominant Ideology being one needs to be of a certain skill set and handicap to play them. And all things being equal, one should use the irons that maximizes forgiveness. An opinion that I do not subscribe to. Played my best golf last year once I fully committed to the '99 Apexs. This required mentally removing the self doubt that questioned my capability. Proof was in the results. Especially so with the scoring clubs, from 150 yards in. They have rendered the i20's which were the prior front liners, ponderous and almost un-hitable. So what if I can't hit the low numbers worth a damn, have other sticks for that.

The physics line was a poor attempt at humor (now edited). I'm partially aware of the issues that landed you in the "hoosegow" to begin with. My apologies. Furthermore, physics made my head spin during my schooling years. To many equations to learn.

To be continued............currently TOOL'ed.

Fella - Mr. Ninja does have the battle scars on his armor for taking stands on this stuff. Many don't agree and some of those who don't agree at all have a lot to lose inside of their business world.

But... having listened, argued on the board and in PMs...having tried to follow objectively without getting in over my head physics-wise....

I can say that even if you're not into the higher level calculus (I'm certainly not for one).... there either is or isn't energy put into that ball that sends it in flight. There either is or isn't a series of trade-offs that occur when you move the mass and metal away from behind the ball. And... either the guy making statements either did - or didn't game a variety of clubs and STILL owns a variety of iron designs - or he doesn't. Lastly - the guy making statements either does or doesn't SAY a player is always better advised to game what HE believes in (be it look, feel, whatever). In others words I've never once heard him SAY only idiots play certain clubs.

So... Mr. Ninja may have the scars for sticking to his physics and science.... and for SURE it has not always been well received... I defy anyone to find him reducing it to personal attacks, suggesting only "idiots" play clubs he doesn't personally prefer, and he himself would be the last guy on this planet to tell other what they HAVE to do. Any engineer/scientist/physicist worth his salt presents data and offers others to dispute it - but its nothing personal. Some see it that way if they hate blades, or worry that their business may suffer if he's right. But that's a horse of another color.... isn't it? LOL

He's a good egg. He certainly means well.... and you are going to enjoy riding along with him here where we chat it up and no one's baby is considered ugly (even when he KIDDINGLY says some clubs are ugly to his eye just to get a little rise out of us for fun).

Doug, I also have a set or i20s, lol.....and a set of G15s, Rapture V2s and S58s

and G25s. I also have different dots in them, lol...i20s and G25s are red dot, G15s

are orange, Raptures black and S58s blue....so from 2 flat to1 up. I covered ALL

my bases.

And now the Macs will be here today.

Benden! I see you playa :D Hope all is well sir!

Last night I read a lengthy article on the "placebo effect" with medicine and how the mind effects the body. Very interesting read, and personally I do believe many (not all) things can be treated without pills. The power of the mind... My point with all this, the placebo effect has taken root in golf equipment, or at least here in WRX. Ignorance is indeed bliss, and before WRX I never gave head design or "forgiveness" a second thought. Ever. So as we read things like," these blah blah's are the most unforgiving blah blah's I've ever hit" it sneaks it's way into your mind by reading osmosis LOL. I play what I like and I play my best golf with clubs I want, not clubs "I should be playing".

Of course everyone in this thread already knows everything I just stated :D Carry on LOL

So, I went and had my lies/lofts checked today. They were all 1* strong and within 1/2* on lie....except 7i. I noticed yesterday a big gap on distance between 7i and 8i.

Shaft is slightly bent in the head. He asked me if I've been hitting off mats. Yup. He said never hit off of mats. You can see it is crooked. You don't notice it unless you're looking for it but it is.

Played 9 holes today...in the rain...in the wind...in the cold. Was coming up short all day. At one point, I got tired of it and hit a 4i from 160...into the wind...into the rain...in the cold. Ball came off like a rocket. Resonated in my loins. Normally, a 4i with that effect and I'd be yelling "GET DOWN". Not today. Center of the green. WTF!!!

Has anyone else noticed the effects of weather like this? Its 50* and the wind was 15 mph. I was consistently 25 to 30 yards short through the bag with my irons. Even downwind.

Could be my swing. Probably long and flippy. And, my mentality. Pissed about the 7i!!

Oh, and my GPS isn't working. Was fine yesterday. Oh, and my shoes have mysteriously started rubbing the back of my ankle raw. Lol.

Good news. From 50 yards in....I'm awesome!!! Not going to change shafts in my wedges. Leaving the clubs I CAN hit...alone.

MC, when it gets cold, the compressibility of the ball changes. It doesn't compress as much so it also doesn't go as far when it rebounds off the clubface. It is roughly a linear relationship with temperature.

Registered Bladeocrat

MC, when it gets cold, the compressibility of the ball changes. It doesn't compress as much so it also doesn't go as far when it rebounds off the clubface. It is roughly a linear relationship with temperature.

And that is a good reason also for slower swingers to play a softer ball all

year round. They'll be able to compress it more and get more distance.

I noticed that when I first put a SuperSoft in play. I hit it further and also

it held it's line better with less side to side curvature. It's a little lacking

around the greens though so I'll likely switch to a urethane covered soft

ball like the ChromeSoft or something similar.

it held it's line better with less side to side curvature. It's a little lacking

I tried the Duo. Off the driver the ball took off nice and then suddenly ballooned straight up and fell straight down. It was warm when I tried them. They might be good in the cold. I gave them to my dad's neighbor. He's 81. Played the front 9 with him yesterday. He can't hit it over 150 and he tells me the same jokes everytime we play. Lol. I just laugh like I never heard them before.

He likes to play with me when he sees me. Gives me $2 bill every Christmas because I won't take anything for clearing the snow out of his drive in the winter. It takes 10 minutes with a big snowblower. At 81, he doesn't need to be doing it himself. :)

Doug, I also have a set or i20s, lol.....and a set of G15s, Rapture V2s and S58s

and G25s. I also have different dots in them, lol...i20s and G25s are red dot, G15s

are orange, Raptures black and S58s blue....so from 2 flat to1 up. I covered ALL

my bases.

And now the Macs will be here today.

Have you tried any of these Rad i5,10,15 or G5,10. Just been looking around in Global Golf and been thinking.....dangerously. Anyone else that has please retort. And congrats on the Macs Rad.

Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

I tried the Duo. Off the driver the ball took off nice and then suddenly ballooned straight up and fell straight down. It was warm when I tried them. They might be good in the cold. I gave them to my dad's neighbor. He's 81. Played the front 9 with him yesterday. He can't hit it over 150 and he tells me the same jokes everytime we play. Lol. I just laugh like I never heard them before.

He likes to play with me when he sees me. Gives me $2 bill every Christmas because I won't take anything for clearing the snow out of his drive in the winter. It takes 10 minutes with a big snowblower. At 81, he doesn't need to be doing it himself. :)

As I've posted before (and yes I'm at THAT age where I repeat myself) the Duo was almost a club longer off my irons and shorter than ProV1 with driver. Not sure why.

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am