2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Rangefinder vs Yardage Markers

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh I wasn't saying I have both. Just that both would be ideal (rereading my first post, I got jammed by autocorrect: supposed to be "in an ideal world, not "I'm an ideal world" lol). I currently have nothing, haha.

Was asking my playing partner today, to whom I gave me SkyCaddie watch yesterday "What does your watch say?" And to his answer I would inevitably reply "Is that to the middle?" So yeah, I was that guy...

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

Laser all the way. I like to know the exact yardage I need to the pin and then get a range based on the pin location. I also use a gps app on my phone when playing new courses, but just off the tee. It is nice to see the layout of a hole, and know where the trouble is if you can't see it. On my regular courses the markers are not always accurate and some greens use front/middle/back pins based on left/center/right. The laser gives me more confidence. I also use it at the range to dial in wedge distances.

Not sure who has issues with lasers when walking. Mine is either in the top compartment in my clicgear or the open side pocket of my bag if carrying. Set the clubs down, get a yardage, pick a club, pull the trigger. Once you get one, you won't regret it.

SIM 10.5, Tensei Pro Orange 60TX
TS2 15, Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
818 H2 19, Hzrdus Black 85 6.5
718 AP3 4-5, PZ LZ 6.5
718 AP2 6-PW, PX LZ 6.5
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 
Odyssey 2 Ball 10S

I use a rangefinder and my only complaint is that I sometimes pin trees in the distance and not the pin. Really frustrating to flush a shot that's going right at the pin only to see it fly the green. Same feeling you when you pull a 9 vs 6.

I play with people that use GPS and I always ask what they have to the front or back depending on pin location. The more information the better.

I use a rangefinder and my only complaint is that I sometimes pin trees in the distance and not the pin. Really frustrating to flush a shot that's going right at the pin only to see it fly the green. Same feeling you when you pull a 9 vs 6.

I play with people that use GPS and I always ask what they have to the front or back depending on pin location. The more information the better.

I think the key is to reference a nearby yardage markers when using a rangefinder.

If you're standing next to the 150 and the rangefinder show 175 to a middle pin, that might be a clue you've shot a tree and not the pin.

PXG Black Ops 9.75* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6X

PXG Black Ops 15* - Motore X F1 7X

PXG  Gen4 3 Iron - Recoil ES Hybrid F5

PXG Gen5 0311T 4-P - DGTI120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI120 X100/S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

I think the key is to reference a nearby yardage markers when using a rangefinder.

If you're standing next to the 150 and the rangefinder show 175 to a middle pin, that might be a clue you've shot a tree and not the pin.

I totally agree! I do it at least 4-6 times a year and I get so mad at myself beacause its one of the few things in golf you can control

5. Somebody will ask for a distance, and the follow up question upon receiving the distance will be "to the pin?"

That is awesome and I do know that one! To avoid that I now explicitly say "to the stick" or "to the flag"... to avoid the urge to reply with a d1ckish comment.

The 'how accurate is that?' question also comes up if the other person has GPS or sees the sign for the hole say 175yds and I tell them it's 152. Never mind the tee markers are up and it's a front pin.

OP: Be sure to go by a golf shop and try a few or at least have an idea of how you want to see your yardages: top or bottom of view, red or white text, and other display considerations.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I totally agree! I do it at least 4-6 times a year and I get so mad at myself beacause its one of the few things in golf you can control

I only mentioned it because its happened to me as well - rushing and not paying attention. So frustrating!

PXG Black Ops 9.75* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6X

PXG Black Ops 15* - Motore X F1 7X

PXG  Gen4 3 Iron - Recoil ES Hybrid F5

PXG Gen5 0311T 4-P - DGTI120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI120 X100/S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Since I got my laser I virtually never look at a sprinkler. Its interesting the disparity of readings you can get. I've had cases where I'm parallel to the 100 yard marker but I'm in the right rough. If I'm then shooting to a back left pin I might get a reading of 120 yards or more depending on green shape and size. That's what makes the laser valuable.

• 2 weeks later...

If it's a blind shot where you can't see the pin then the yardage marker would be better. However I have a GPS GolfBuddy which gives me distance. But I think after reading a lot on here, people with range finders can (justifiably) convince you that a range finder will give you the most accurate distance the pin.

Intriguing post as related to the blind shot aspect. Care to share a bit more thought on this?

I never had interest in one till I started getting better and realized just how off some markers can be. I find sprinkler heads to be reasonably accurate, but for whatever reason, the colored yardage posts have often been very off, and par 3's have been off even more so. There's a course near me with a par 3 that says its 180 which is a good 6 iron for me and it has never made the green, not even the front. Came back with a range finder a couple weeks later, it's 191 to the center.

I do enjoy using touch for shots though. If I'm within 100 yards, it stays in the bag, and sometimes there's just shots that I feel like I know what to hit and I don't use it, but par 3's are easily the biggest advantage I have found with it. For some reason, they are just never what they say and when the marker is in one spot on the tee box, and you think pacing off 2-3 paces for a different tee marker works, you'll be pretty surprised sometimes what the actual distance is. I've never used the slope for the thing though.

• 2 months later...

is it legal to give playing partners the yardage off the tee on a par 3 in a competition?

I realize this is an old post, but thought I would reply as this is commonly confused. Yes, it is legal to ask for and to share yardage between two objects.

http://www.usga.org/rules/rules-and-decisions.html#!decision-08

Decision 8-1/2

Exchanging Distance Information

Information regarding the distance between two objects is public information and not advice. It is therefore permissible for players to exchange information relating to the distance between two objects. For example, a player may ask anyone, including his opponent, fellow-competitor or either of their caddies, the distance between his ball and the hole.

I think where the confusion occurs is exchanging club information (e.g. "What did you just hit?"), elevation information (e.g. "Add a club for this approach"), or wind adjustment (e.g. "It's about a club downwind"). All these examples are to directly affect which club to hit (advice), but just exchanging yardage is not advice ("it's 178 to center of the green").