Florida advice, golf and family time.....

Stall

I posted this in the 19th hole, but it was suggested I would get more responses here. I've got a few golf questions in, but this is more for advice on where to locate myself and the family if you guys don't mind?

To cut a long story short, I had unbelievable luck the other day and won free flights to Florida for use in the summer (early July). I'm from the Scotland, so it's not a short cross state trip.

Now I’ve been to Florida before and I enjoyed it, big road trip from the top (starting at Sawgrass) to bottom and spent a week in Miami, things change in life however and now I'm armed/saddled/blessed with a little girl who will be almost 2. Probably not old enough to appreciate everything Orlando has to offer but I imagine that she might enjoy the Magic Kingdom. She would certainly be interested in Bush Gardens etc over at Tampa.

Anyway, Florida wasn't high on my list, been there, done it and will no doubt have to go back in a few years when she is older, but given its free flights then of course I am going to use them. I am half tempted to just land in Orlando and then get a connection to a part of the states I've not been but the other half is not onboard with that. Indeed if we were still without child we would probably drive north and explore that area. California driving trip was excellent a few years back. Now however, a big driving holiday isn't really for a two year old.

So my question to wrx'ers is really where to go, where is going to be nice, chilled, relaxing but enough to entertain a two year old? Given her age, there will be no requirement to stay in Orlando unless I really want to. I'm thinking 3 days max in Orlando and then move on.

I've heard that the West coast of Florida has quite a bit to offer, Tampa, Sarasotta, Naples etc? So what say you WRX and in particular Florida WRXers. Somewhere nice, beaches would be good, good selection of restaurants that I can chill out. Ideally a nice place to spend a week and I can choose whether or not to ditch the car for a few days. I like somewhere that I can base myself and have plenty to do locally, including eating out and having a few beers.

I remember an old girlfriend of mine, her family used to go to Sarasota every year. I've done a little desk based research on it and it looks decent. Any views? Siesta Key v Lido key? Or is it going to be completely rammed with tourists that I can't move and can't get into any restaurants? I see Clearwater beach is meant to be good too as is Venice although Venice is pretty far from Orlando.

Of course if you think Orlando is going to be awesome even with a two year old, then pipe up. I've only spent one day in Orlando previously. Did Universal/Islands of Adventure.

Obviously I'm going to do much more research than WRX, but it’s a good sounding board. I'm sure there are plenty Floridian WRX'ers who know the lie of the land.

Final question before I press submit. Given I got these flights free, then I reckon I can treat myself to a beast of a round of golf. If I was to throw the sink at it would you recommend a night and a game at Bayhill, Copperhead Innisbrooke or anywhere else? I only know the big ones the tour stops at. If there are better, lesser known options then let me know. I can probably only justify one maybe two games though, it will have to be family time which is why i was was thinking Bay Hill for awesomeness, particularly if I meet the King in the locker room.

All thoughts, opinions greatly appreciated.

Oh and free flights to Florida! xxxxxx yeeeeeaaaaaaaaaasssssssss!!!!!!!!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it were me, I'd go to Destin.

It's on the Gulf and the beaches are beautiful. There are some awesome golf courses nearby--Camp Creek is awesome, The Raven, Sharks Tooth, etc.

There is lots to do for the family, it is easy to get around, there are great restaurants, etc.

Orlando is always a nice choice but Destin is much more mellow.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5 w/Evenflow Riptide CB X-Stiff 
Cobra F8+ 14.5* Rouge Silver X-Stiff

Cobra F8+ 18* Rouge Silver X-Stiff
Srxion 4-6 ZX5 irons, ZX7 7-PW irons w/PX LZ 6.0
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50, 54, 58 x/PX LZ 6.0
Sik Flo or Sik DW or Edel or SGC Norwood 

Like stated above I'd choose Destin. The Raven, Kelly Plantation, and Blackstone are all within an hour of each other and are all fantastic courses.

There's also many other attractions to the area such as deep sea fishing trips, fantastic night life, and great places to eat. I guess I'm bias because I live here but it's a great area!

I'll agree with Brian that Orlando is a great option for a family trip. We made the leap a few years back into the Disney Vacation Club / timeshare thing and I have to say, it's been pretty fantastic. If you do go to Disney World, please know that it will be exhausting, even for a few days, and especially with a little one. Pace yourselves, don't try to see and do everything, and schedule in plenty of downtime back at the hotel for pool time, naps, etc, July will be hot and crowded, but if you go with a great sense of humor and lots of patience, it can be a great trip.

Of course, you'll also have some good golf courses right on Disney property to choose from (Lake Buena Vista is my current favorite), and if you want to really treat yourself you check out Tranquilo at the Four Seasons resort or the Waldorf Astoria Golf Club. You could also head off Disney property and play Orange County National, Championsgate, Falcon's Fire or Celebration.

The other option you might want to consider is Sanibel / Captiva. You'd could fly into Tampa and drive down the west coast (a couple of hours) or fly directly into Fort Myers. Very relaxing, great beaches, boat trips, restaurants (Island Cow on Sanibel for breakfast, Green Flash on Captiva for dinner). You could also check out the Sanibel Harbor Marriott. It's on the Ft. Myers side of the causeway to Sanibel Island, but it makes a great base. For golf options, you've got lots of choices in the Ft. Myers and Naples area. I'd recommend Old Corkscrew in Estero, as well as Verandah in north Ft. Myers.

Have a great trip, and keep us posted!

Ping G410, 10.5 degree, Alta CB 55 Red

Taylormade RBZ, 15*, Matrix Ozik

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid, 18 degree, Aerotech Steelfiber FC

Callaway Rogue 4H, 21*, Aldila Synergy 60

Callaway Apex CF16, 5 - SW, Recoil 760

Callaway PM Grind 19, 60*

Rife 2 Bar Hybrid 

Check into Captiva Island. It is absolutely gorgeous and has a true tropical "island" feel. Great place to relax on the beach with your family. There are plenty of nice restaurants and you if you stay in the right spot, you really won't need to drive much at all. It's a small island, and you have to drive acrossthe larger Sanibel island to get there.

You could spend a day or two in Orlando, stop for a day at Siesta Key beach near Sarasota, then continue down to Captiva where you can just chill out. Captiva is a very unique Florida experience.

Edit to add that Captiva is not what I would call a golf destination. There's only one small 9 hole course at South Seas Plantation, but it is gorgeous. Do your round of golf in Orlando while your wife takes the baby to one of the parks!

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I'll agree with Brian that Orlando is a great option for a family trip. We made the leap a few years back into the Disney Vacation Club / timeshare thing and I have to say, it's been pretty fantastic. If you do go to Disney World, please know that it will be exhausting, even for a few days, and especially with a little one. Pace yourselves, don't try to see and do everything, and schedule in plenty of downtime back at the hotel for pool time, naps, etc, July will be hot and crowded, but if you go with a great sense of humor and lots of patience, it can be a great trip.

Of course, you'll also have some good golf courses right on Disney property to choose from (Lake Buena Vista is my current favorite), and if you want to really treat yourself you check out Tranquilo at the Four Seasons resort or the Waldorf Astoria Golf Club. You could also head off Disney property and play Orange County National, Championsgate, Falcon's Fire or Celebration.

The other option you might want to consider is Sanibel / Captiva. You'd could fly into Tampa and drive down the west coast (a couple of hours) or fly directly into Fort Myers. Very relaxing, great beaches, boat trips, restaurants (Island Cow on Sanibel for breakfast, Green Flash on Captiva for dinner). You could also check out the Sanibel Harbor Marriott. It's on the Ft. Myers side of the causeway to Sanibel Island, but it makes a great base. For golf options, you've got lots of choices in the Ft. Myers and Naples area. I'd recommend Old Corkscrew in Estero, as well as Verandah in north Ft. Myers.

Have a great trip, and keep us posted!

Ha...just saw your Captiva recommendation! The Green Flash...great spot, as is the Mucky Duck! I remember when the Green Flash was Timmy's Nook, an iconic old school bar/restaurant known for their ice cold beer and a Crow sandwich (fried grouper with Swiss cheese, lto, and tartar!)

I have some very special memories of Captiva!

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I lived in Miami for 2 years, and my wife grew up in Florida. We still visit her family every year. So I've been to lots of different parts of the state.

If you are into a relaxed beach vacation, I also recommend Destin. It's about as far north as you can get in Florida, which is a bonus in July.

2 is a bit young to really get the most out of Disney. But, since you are coming from so far, and for free, I can see why you would take advantage. There are multiple parks, plus stuff to do at the hotel, and access to restaurants and golf if you stay on the property. And it's all accessible without a car. There are even free shuttles from Orlando airport straight to the Disney hotels, so you could avoid a car altogether of you stayed there for your whole trip. You wouldn't have to worry about finding things to do no matter how long you chose to stay.

I own a lot near Destin ... Love the area ... Beaches and golf and food are amazing

I've also been to Sanibel Island 5 times. ... Incredible

I would do Disney 2 days ... Magic Kingdom and Animal Kinngdom .. The head NW or SW

How many days ?

Time of year ?

Ping G430 10k 10.5* Diamana ZF 60x

Cally AI Smoke TD 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

Be warned - the heat index can climb well over 100F in Orlando in July and theme park lines can be long. If you're going to golf in Orlando, play early. We always tried to be first off in the morning to be done by 10:30 or so. You should be able to play Bay Hill if you stay at the Lodge, but you won't see Arnold as I believe he still summers up in Latrobe. Not sure about morning tee times though as the members might get those spots.

My daughter loved Sea World when she was 2 or so - plenty of shows and sea life to keep her occupied. If you plan on traveling, Siesta Key is a fabulous beach and there's a little town with plenty of restaurants. You probably could stay close enough to town where you could walk to the beach and town. Clearwater Beach is a little bit closer and has plenty of accommodations/restaurants as well. Can't go wrong with either ...

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

I own a lot near Destin ... Love the area ... Beaches and golf and food are amazing

I've also been to Sanibel Island 5 times. ... Incredible

I would do Disney 2 days ... Magic Kingdom and Animal Kinngdom .. The head NW or SW

How many days ?

Time of year ?

Probably looking at 10/12/ days, start of July. Need to get back for the Open at Troon which is only 20 miles from me. ;)

OK I have daughters that are now 16 and almost 18

My advice on Disney is to wait till she is 4 or 5. She'll appreciate it more. Orlando is a gong show in the summer, lots of people and traffic

I would do Sarasota are or the Florida Panhandle ... you don't want to be as far South as Naples in the summer

You could also do 6 days in both areas

Make sure you play Camp Creek and Shark's Tooth if you go NW. it may be warm but it is doable for sure

Good restaurants as well

Ping G430 10k 10.5* Diamana ZF 60x

Cally AI Smoke TD 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

If it were me, I'd go to Destin.

It's on the Gulf and the beaches are beautiful. There are some awesome golf courses nearby--Camp Creek is awesome, The Raven, Sharks Tooth, etc.

There is lots to do for the family, it is easy to get around, there are great restaurants, etc.

Orlando is always a nice choice but Destin is much more mellow.

You are correct, but you need connections to get on Camp Creek and Sharks Tooth.

I live in Destin and personally believe Regatta Bay can match or beat any track around here. Kelly just redid their greens and they are nice, but hard as rocks. Camp Creek and Shark's Tooth are nice, but you have to stay at the resorts to get on.

I used to play Regatta Bay all the time and love the course, but I can find better values at other courses in the area.

I am going to disagree with the guys saying to stay more northern in the state due to summer heat. It's Florida in the summer and the weather will be hot, whether you're in the panhandle or down further on the golf coast. Ever been to Jackson Mississippi or anywhere else in the deep south for that matter? It's freakin' hot and humid...period.

If heat is an issue your better off oceanside on the east coast in the Jupiter area where the Gulf Stream and ocean breezes have seem to moderate things.

All of that said I'll stick with my original suggestion of Captiva Island. It fits your stated criteria. Just start with 2 days in Orlando. Play golf on the day your wife does one of the parks with the baby at Disney. Maybe go all together to Sea World, then head out of town. One day/night at Siesta Key, then park your butt on Captiva.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I live in Destin and personally believe Regatta Bay can match or beat any track around here. Kelly just redid their greens and they are nice, but hard as rocks. Camp Creek and Shark's Tooth are nice, but you have to stay at the resorts to get on.

I used to play Regatta Bay all the time and love the course, but I can find better values at other courses in the area.

Come see me next time you are around. I am the Chairman of the Board of Governers at Regatta Bay. I can get you on for a much cheaper rate. :)

Second Siesta Key +/- Captiva, with the Orlando part 1-2 days, maybe 1-2 Orlando (go play Streamsong while wife and daughter do Magic Kingdom), maybe 1 Tampa go to Busch Gardens (although you could do that on the way to Siesta from Orlando, or as a day trip from Siesta). Siesta Key, and Sarasota, is just a unique place that happens to have a beach usually ranked in the top 10 in the world. Not the greatest golf destination, though there are plenty of decent, just not world class, places to play, but as a place to hang with family, enjoy beach and shopping and boating/fishing if you want, very hard to beat.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

This probably won't be popular, particularly with your wife, but ditch the kid. Flying across the Ocean with a 2 year old is going to be a special kind of hell. Free tickets or not, there is no way in on God's green earth I do a round trip across the Atlantic with a two year old.

I don't have a horse in this race, but that's an offensive post on so many levels. At least to most grownups.

"Ditch the kid" ? That's the O.P.'s daughter ... not "the kid".

& for the uninitiated, the only "special kind of hell" regarding one's child, is when your child's well-being, health, success or happiness, is beyond the parent's current capabilities, for whatever reason.

The idea of 1-2 days in Orlando followed by a beach vacation is a great idea. I don't think a 2 year old would need more than that to experience Disney. I would stick with the magic kingdom amongst the Disney theme parks.

As for the other part of the trip, it depends on whether you will realistically golf or not. The beach aspect of captiva/sanibel is great for a 2 year old. However, the golf is a little more difficult with that destination. You would need to leave the island for better golf. You would have better options for a beach/golf combination trip if you travel a little further to Naples/Marco island. I have a better sense of the Marco/Naples destination of you have any questions. The beaches are also nice at siesta key/Clearwater/Sarasota, and there are more golf options with those beach destinations.

Either way, a trip with your 2 year old to Disney is a great idea.

Go to Disney World. Its perfect for family activity with kids and also golf. Stay at either the Polynesian Resort or the Grand Floridian. Polynesian is more laid-back and the Grand Floridian is a bit more formal. Both are directly across the street from the Palm and Magnolia golf courses. The PGA tour played there for years. Plus both hotels are on monorail stops that take you all around the property - very convenient. Every time I go there I don't even need to rent a car. Disney even picks you up and returns you to the airport - all free. All transportation is provided free once on the property. For a family man that plays golf it's the perfect win-win deal.

This probably won't be popular, particularly with your wife, but ditch the kid. Flying across the Ocean with a 2 year old is going to be a special kind of hell. Free tickets or not, there is no way in on God's green earth I do a round trip across the Atlantic with a two year old.

I don't have a horse in this race, but that's an offensive post on so many levels. At least to most grownups.

& for the uninitiated, the only "special kind of hell" regarding one's child, is when your child's well-being, health, success or happiness, is beyond the parent's current capabilities, for whatever reason.

well said and i could not agree more.

Driver- TITLEIST TSr1 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 KBS Tour Lite 100s
Wedges- CALLAWAY Jaws Raw Black SF 95
Putter- SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 9.5

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

well said and i could not agree more.

Thanks for the support.

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.

Yep, im pretty much set on only spending a few days in Orlando, it will be rammed, the little one wont get it yet and no doubt i'll have to bring her back for a longer stint in a few years anyway. Magic Kingdom it is, staying in a Disney on site resort might be a shout although i was told the Hilton buena vista just on the edge of Disney Springs? Is just as good certainly for a kid that young.

Ive done quite a bit of research on Sarsota Siesta key this week, looks good and gets a pretty positive rating on this thread here. I'll check Captiva this week based on all your recomendations.

In terms of golf, its not a deal breaker. Its not a golf holiday afterall, and they are givimg me three rounds in vilamoura in April anyway when we go. I certainly wont be taking my sticks to Florida so if im golfing, i'll only be one day and one a 'hit list' course, ratger than an average one. I played Sawgrass maybe 6 years ago and had a great time. Im still kicking myself that i didnt play Pebble a couple of years ago when i had two nights in Monteray Bay, i decided the $450 would be better saved for vegas! Anyway, thts why i thoughy Bay Hill, but if you guys dont think it really lives up to it?

If theres to be no golf then i defo need to find some top class American club fitters, while all my clubs are fitted up for me, i believe you guys get access to lots more exotic options. A top of the line new shaft in my driver might be interesting.

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.

Yep, im pretty much set on only spending a few days in Orlando, it will be rammed, the little one wont get it yet and no doubt i'll have to bring her back for a longer stint in a few years anyway. Magic Kingdom it is, staying in a Disney on site resort might be a shout although i was told the Hilton buena vista just on the edge of Disney Springs? Is just as good certainly for a kid that young.

Ive done quite a bit of research on Sarsota Siesta key this week, looks good and gets a pretty positive rating on this thread here. I'll check Captiva this week based on all your recomendations.

In terms of golf, its not a deal breaker. Its not a golf holiday afterall, and they are givimg me three rounds in vilamoura in April anyway when we go. I certainly wont be taking my sticks to Florida so if im golfing, i'll only be one day and one a 'hit list' course, ratger than an average one. I played Sawgrass maybe 6 years ago and had a great time. Im still kicking myself that i didnt play Pebble a couple of years ago when i had two nights in Monteray Bay, i decided the $450 would be better saved for vegas! Anyway, thts why i thoughy Bay Hill, but if you guys dont think it really lives up to it?

If theres to be no golf then i defo need to find some top class American club fitters, while all my clubs are fitted up for me, i believe you guys get access to lots more exotic options. A top of the line new shaft in my driver might be interesting.

The Hilton in Lake Buena Vista is a good hotel and close to the Disney parks. You can also do Downtown Disney as well, a collection of shops/restaurants/bars and admission is free. Right down the street from the Hilton.

Unless you know a member, you'll have to stay at Bay Hill to play it. In the summer, I would think you could get a round of golf and a room for around $175 or so. If you're a member at a club in Scotland, you might be able to have your pro call over to Bay Hill and get you on.

As for driver fittings, you could head out to the Callaway fitting center @ the Annika Academy at the Reunion Resort. About a 15-20 minute drive fro Lake Buena Vista. Grand Cypress Resort might also offer fittings as they have a nice golf academy onsite, but call. Richie might chime in with some other options.

If you want to try a bunch of drivers, there's a PGA Tour Superstore near the intersection of Sand Lake Rd and Turkey Lake Road. However if it were me, I'd head to a facility where you can hit drivers outside.

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

At two years of age your daughter would probably enjoy the Disney outlet store in Destin about as much as she would the Disney theme park. During the Summer the heat and humidity is bad almost anywhere in FL. I spent the first 37 years of my life in the FL Panhandle then moved to the Smoky Mountains of TN to get away from that heat. But.......Winter golf in TN sucks!

Comming over from Scotland to Orlando, I think you will be kicking yourself latter on if you didn't make the drive down to Streamsong. This place is really getting a good reputation (except the hotel) and as more courses continue to be built there it really is becoming a go to destination. Summer rates are $125 which is a lot for the area, but I think worth it.

But if not try to stay at bay hill for a night so you can play Arnie's course once. And you mentioned crowds,. Orlando still gets busy during the summer, but outside Orlando you shouldn't have any problems with restaurants and golf times. Summer is the slow season for golf here.