2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Does an expensive putter really make a difference?

ab7735

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a friend that uses a $25 Dunlop. He sinks EVERYTHING!

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

It isn't the arrow, it is the indian. But if the indian believes he is going to hit the target everytime.....those arrows are magical too.

Price of the putter doesn't matter. CONFIDENCE does. This was said, but deserves to be said again. If paying $250 for a putter gives you confidence, so be it. That works then. It did for me for a while, I will admit it.

That said, shooting par golf you will use your putter for 36 strokes. That is a lot more than any other club. Knowing that, I don't have a problem paying money for a club I feel confortable and confident using.

Nike Covert Tour 2.0 - Velox
Nike T60 3w & 5w - Aldila NV
Nike Covert 2.0 or CPR 3 HY
Nike NDS/Pro Combo Split Set
Nike VR 52* & 56*
Nike T130

A putter that fits you is the best putter -- whether it is $10 or $2,500.

Certain materials may feel better or may give a more solid feel -- but they don't put the ball in the hole. They may give you the confidence that you will put the ball in the hole with fewer strokes. They may make you feel good. But a fit is the main factor.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Definitely, finding what gives you confidence plays a huge part in choosing a putter. However, I believe there are other factors. Firstly, I do think some putters put a better roll on the ball than others. Odyssey and Scotty Cameron putters for example get the ball rolling end-over-end quicker than a regular putter, and a result provide a straighter and more consistent roll.

Secondly, top-tier putters generally sit square to the target. Cheap putters rarely do - usually they'll sit a few degrees closed, and sometimes way open. The best way to check visually if your putter sits square is to look directly down the grip while holding the putter parallel to the ground in the air (horizontally). You'll get a good idea of how your putter is sitting.

And I also think weight balance is an important factor. Most cheap putters just don't feel balanced to me, whereas top brands will offer both heel-toe weighting or face-balanced weighting, both of which suit different strokes.

So to me, there's a huge difference. And putting is the most important part of the game in my eyes.

Whoa, whoa, whoa!!

Where is the proof that Odyssey and Cameron place a better roll on the ball?

Whoa!

That is the first time I've heard that spin.

Stop drinking that Water!

Cameron and Odyssey do not have any face technology other than inserts. Fine putters -- yes -- good balance -- yes.

What I have heard and rolled over the past 3 years is that Yes, Rife and TM AGSI help a golfer stop the skid and get the ball rolling more quickly with their groove technology.

I think your stroke also has a lot to do with less skid and more roll.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Go to any public course and you'll watch older guys draining EVERY putt with MnBr Ping putters.

The nice putter may give you better weight or feel, but it's the individual doing the putting that makes the difference.

Putt what feels good in your hands and sinks putts no matter what the price is.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

I've had Mills putters, a custom Byron, numerous Camerons and my Wilson TPA XVIII always ends up in my bag. The other putters all felt and looked amazing but I just make more putts with the old Wilson that I got for $10. I completely understand the urge to change to something nice, though. The quality of the craftsmanship and beauty of the designs keep drawing me back in. But for my stroke, that Wilson works. Oh, well.

I agree with one of the posters above. The main thing for me is that the putter sits square and feel well-balanced. Unfortunately, I don't find many inexpensive putters that accomplish this.

Callaway Epic

Callaway Apex Hybrid
Honma TW Muscle Backs
TP Mills Custom Soft Tail

I have a putter that I bought from Academy for 10 bucks. Would a putter made with better materials improve my putting?

no. well it depends. yes sorta. i dunno actually...but i know guys that use putters from the 60's and 70's and 80's and 90's and 00's and shoot lights out. i tried them, the old ones, the new ones...and once the honeymoon is over...i always putt better with something else, something newer.or not...maybe older. you get what im saying?

i own 26 putters now. and i rotate between them. and yes sometimes i buy a new one... i always remember certain putts ive made with each and every putter i own. and these past putts/ memories give me confidence. kinda makes me remember how i use to make putting seem easy.

BUT Its like the last few posters have stated and i dont want to become redundant....simply put, a HUGE confidence thing.

$10.00 to $10,000.00 as long as the face is flat...and you like the feel, and you have the line , and you can roll the ball, and are confident...the thing is just going in.

I have a putter that I bought from Academy for 10 bucks. Would a putter made with better materials improve my putting?

In short...No.

In long....I have a few putters. I can tell you they vary in price from $10 to ridiculous. No matter what I've got in my hands on the course, each and every one of them can feel like a magic wand one day and a hunk of lead another day. If you don't have a repetitive stroke, nothings going to help you drop a putt. No matter the grooves, metal, MOI, or price.

If it feels good and it drops...roll it with pride. Who care's what anyone thinks, as long as you're beating them on the scorecard, that's all that counts. :partytime2:

• 7 months later...

Does price make a difference in a putter? Yes. A high end putter is sure to look prettier. My motto, "if you can't play good, look good." Just look at my signature.

But if you are asking if price makes a difference in performance, I would have to agree with most people who have posted. It is the guy holding the putter. If the putter feels good in your hand, aligns properly and makes putts, who cares if it was free or is a $5000 tour/limited/garage Cameron dipped in gold and milled to +/- 0.00000000001 tolerances?

[quote name='ab7735' post='582875' date='May 31 2007, 07:39 PM']I have a putter that I bought from Academy for 10 bucks. Would a putter made with better materials improve my putting?[/quote]
Lee Trevino said: "It's not the arrow, it's the Indian. But an Indian can't kill anything with a crooked arrow."

A poor putting golfer won't become a great putting golfer by buying a great putter. But, getting the right putter for your game will allow you to putt better than a putter that is not suited to your game.

Another way to say it this: The right putter for your game made out of the best materials and setup with the proper dimensions will allow you to putt as well as your skills allow. A putter that is not right for your game, that is made out of inferior materials, and does not have the proper dimensions, will not allow you to putt as well as your skills allow.

Scott

The short answer is no....but,

I refurbish and collect putters. I have been playing for about 20 years. I have 3 gamers and about 15 putters on the wall. All the putters have different characteristics from being different head weights, where the head is weighted, shaft legnths and grips. The putters range from $95.00 to $695.00 and more.

My gamers are Cameron Sante Fe Teryllium 34 inch with a Gripmaster Pistol Leather Grip, the 2nd one is a T.P. Mills #1 34 inch with the same grip and the 3rd is a Bettinardi BB-2 with a copper insert 34 inch with a Bettinardi Winn Grip. All thest putters have different characteristics. Depending on the course and greens I play is which putter I use. As far as putter legnth, most putters come in a 35" legnth from the factory...reason being, all golf bag heights are 35 inches.

Basically, before I started collecting putters I didn't know enough about putter designs, but have acquired a knowledge about putters and my game. I still don't feel like I know enough and always to talk to golf pros and assistant pros when I get a chance.

What I can tell you is go to a Golfsmith or the like and spend some time in the putting coral to get the look, legnth and feel that makes you feel comfortable. Do not make the decision the first time, but go a couple of times and talk to someone there who is knowlegdeable just not wanting to sell you something.]

Hope this helps. Good luck!!

[quote name='CJ_Gibson' post='853527' date='Jan 7 2008, 05:43 PM']I have to say one of the best putters in the entire world is the classic bullseye
you just can't beat it and you can probably get one off of ebay for 5 bucks[/quote]
The Bullseye doesn't work for everyone. They certainly don't work well for me so a Scottsdale Anser style putter, which does work well for me, beats the Bullseye ever time. At least as far as my game is concerned.

number_7 is right when he tells you to talk to someone knowledgeable and to try many different putters several times.

Get a well made putter that is suited to your game with specifications that fit you and you will putt as well as your skills allow.

Scott

[quote name='number_7' post='853553' date='Jan 7 2008, 09:03 PM'].

As far as putter legnth, most putters come in a 35" legnth from the factory...reason being, all golf bag heights are 35 inches.

Basically, before I started collecting putters I didn't know enough about putter designs, but have acquired a knowledge about putters and my game. I still don't feel like I know enough and always to talk to golf pros and assistant pros when I get a chance.[/quote]

Whoa, chicken or the egg. Are putters 35" because golf bags are 35", or are golf bags 35" because the shortest club most guys carry is about 35"?

I won't lie, personally I think absolutely YES a more expensive putter makes a difference...

With the exception that the player needs to learn how to use it. You can't be a poor putter, not care, never practice, and just expect something that's more expensive to make you a better player just because of that fact. Subjectively speaking I think that better players find better putters to perform more to their standards. There are certain things in the feel, look, and durability that you won't find in a cheaper putter.

I've taken someone who swore up and down that a better putter could not possibly make a difference and handed them one of mine to use for a little hour or two practice putting session. We walked off the green and they purchased the club from me within a couple days. He's been using it ever since and still is amazed at what difference it made for him.

Now on the flip side I think once you are a good enough putter it doesn't make that much difference. I used to putt with an old beat up Ray Cook putter that was won by my Dad and given to me to use as good, if not better than anything I've come across today (Cameron's, Ping's, Bettinardi's, Odyssey's, etc.). It's basically all in the eye of the beholder.

Personal preference, I like something a little more expensive now days for the fact in my mind it gives a little extra sense of quality. In return all this basically does is boost confidence which you must have to make any putt.

Driver: Ping G30
3-Wood: Ping G30
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro
Irons: Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal Pro
Wedges: Scratch 1018
Putter: Scotty Cameron Red X5

I have 4 putters in the house. I play whatever has the feel and the confidence for the day.

Right now I am using a Spalding Gold Line. I have a Bullet .444 mallet putter. An Acushnet skokie. and a Direct Line Tru Rail Belly Putter. I think the total
market value of the 4 putters is less than $20. I have looked at more expensive putters and tried them, but keep going back to the older putters
for my confidence.

I think it is whatever works for you. For me it is feel and confidence.

Just my 2 cents, which ain't worth much. ;)

[quote name='tbowles411' post='582969' date='Jun 1 2007, 12:02 AM']I have a friend that uses a $25 Dunlop. He sinks EVERYTHING![/quote]
I'm sorry, have you and I played?

I play a Dunlop I got 12 years ago, and it wasn't much more than $20 on sale I think. I sink 'em from all over the green. It ain't pretty, but it works.