2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Thrift Store Jackpot

6 hours ago, bogieboy said:

Clevland VAS 792 come to mind here.... very easy to hit despite the worst maltby rating in the history of man, and even more peculiar looks....i happen to own a set 3-LW...LOL

I had a complete set(2 thru SW...I kept the 1 iron) , sold it (more than he wished to pay & less than I desired to sell...worked out perfectly)  to a man who kinda sorta was unsure cuz of their look...I told him to play w/then for a week & if he was unsatisfied, return them by closing next Saturday in the same clean shape as they were going out. If unsatisfied after a weeks play, I'd return his money.......never heard from him again 🙃 guess he was satisfied 🤣

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, bogieboy said:

I did... and have considered going back to them several times when my callaways are acting up....LOL

I thought they were a good playing set also....tho, I sold them & replaced them w/a set of Ray Cook (the original Ray Cook) Affluent irons. I'd had the heads from the Ray Cook stash that came my way, prued a set of Paragon ProX 2  shafts & gripped them w/Lamkin Tortsion Control grips....

RC:Affluent.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bcstones said:

I thought they were a good playing set also....tho, I sold them & replaced them w/a set of Ray Cook (the original Ray Cook) Affluent irons. I'd had the heads from the Ray Cook stash that came my way, prued a set of Paragon ProX 2  shafts & gripped them w/Lamkin Tortsion Control grips....

Man... i think i would rather be seen with the VAS in the bag over those🤣 those are funky....

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, bogieboy said:

Man... i think i would rather be seen with the VAS in the bag over those🤣 those are funky....

oh, but they play beautifully....I couldn't care less what others think about looks of any club, it's how they play is all that matters....besides Ray Cook, the man, made great putters & designed, & made these irons in his shop before he died, so I guess I'm playing a legacy in a way.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bcstones said:

oh, but they play beautifully....I couldn't care less what others think about looks of any club, it's how they play is all that matters....besides Ray Cook, the man, made great putters & designed, & made these irons in his shop before he died, so I guess I'm playing a legacy in a way.

Fair enough...LOL im fairly partial to a callaway style top line, as evidenced by the x series n415s in the bag, and the x20s sitting next to the bag...LOL both thift finds there too, $2 a club for the x20s 5-pw and $5 a club for 6-aw on the 415s (they are strong a bit strong lofts with a 43°pw...LOL i just play them like a 5-9 with the 6-pw, and then get into the 48° vokey sm4that i thrifted for $2 and 52,56,60 warrior custom grinds that were a black friday deal at rock bottom golf, $9.99 a piece brand new still in wrappers)

I know ray made aome darn nice putters... had a scotty designed blue goose for a while....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bogieboy said:

I know ray made aome darn nice putters... had a scotty designed blue goose for a while....

Actually I have one of those "Blue Goose" putters, as well as a "Billy Baroo"....however, they were neither designed by nor built by Ray Cook.

After Ray Cook died, his factory (and all rights to plans, equipment etc) in San Antonio was bought by a California concern, a number of years later, it was sold to a San Antonio concern. You can tell by the logo's. Ray Cook's logo was simply his name & San Antonio TX (even the DBRC putters - Designed By Ray Cook). The logo's on the other two are stylzed take-off's of the name 'Ray Cook'...

Edited by bcstones

• 4 weeks later...

Odd 'bonus with purchase' this morning. Our game was rained out so one of my stops was at the thrift. Found a nice Palmer bag and a Mac 3w. When I went to clean the bag up, these was a Lord knows how old pair of Nikes stuffed down in the apparel pocket. I've never seen anything this disintegrated. 

1014231528.jpg

1014231528a.jpg

1014231535.jpg

1014231535a.jpg

1014231525.jpg

1014231524.jpg

• Like 2

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Picked up the Blue ridge today $4, comparing it to a mid 60s 6 I have. I think I might do an odd ball 6-9 set some day once I find more. Rando pre 80s Wilsons 

image.png.2b3e1180b6fc7a7e29051b84315454e8.png

• Like 1

Woods: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Spoon, TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood

Long Irons: Ping Zings 2 Iron, 3 Iron 

Iron Sets Cleveland Blacks 2012 5 To 9 , Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 4 to PW , Wilson X31's 1970 2 to PW , Hogan Redline's 1988  4 to E (no 7)

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  ,  Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  Wilson Sandy Andy (57 degrees)

Putter: Ping Pal or Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman Blade. 

Ball:  high number Pro V1's

On 9/16/2023 at 7:30 PM, JimmyC59 said:

They were junk when they were new, they didn't improve with age.

Very cheap beginner's clubs.

You don't have a clue what you're writing about.

I had a friend, since departed, who worked for the casting house that provided Spalding with their heads back then.  According to my friend, Spalding was stringent in their requirements to the point of being irritating.  The fact that they offered that over the hosel design long after everyone else had dropped it shows they didn't have the issues with breakage everyone else did and speaks to the quality of the product.

My friend even referred to the texture on the back of the club as "foo foo sh*t," but the clubs looked fine in the address position as game improvement clubs go.  

I like the Maltby products but no one on this section of the board is going to swoon over them, including me.  Based on the reading I've done in other sections of this site there will come a point when you're standing over a shot and it will hit you that the club you are about to hit doesn't say Callaway or Taylormade on it and is therefore inferior (not that I believe that is true).  This is compounded if the buds didn't swoon over the clubs when you first brought them out.  Then, being component products, they aren't worth much at all on the resale or trade-in market compared to what you paid for them.        

Good luck with them.

Edited by Shallowface
content
  • Like 4

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

On 9/16/2023 at 7:30 PM, JimmyC59 said:

They were junk when they were new, they didn't improve with age.

Very cheap beginner's clubs.

Duplicate post deleted.

Edited by Shallowface

--Rory McIlroy 

On 9/18/2023 at 7:43 PM, bcstones said:

I had a complete set(2 thru SW...I kept the 1 iron) , sold it (more than he wished to pay & less than I desired to sell...worked out perfectly)  to a man who kinda sorta was unsure cuz of their look...I told him to play w/then for a week & if he was unsatisfied, return them by closing next Saturday in the same clean shape as they were going out. If unsatisfied after a weeks play, I'd return his money.......never heard from him again 🙃 guess he was satisfied 🤣

I never had a full set of them but that might happen yet.  I do have a five iron in my collection of oddities.  The second generation VAS might have a bit more appeal as they don't have the hosel stuck in the clubface.

For some reason I always thought they were the easiest club to line up I had ever seen.  Something about them, that long white first groove, the overall shape, not sure exactly, but they always set square very easily for me. 

The Maltby rating comes from a relatively high center of gravity and a center of gravity that's closer to the hosel than they like, which is of course due to the hosel being inset.  I like the Maltby data for comparing physical properties of clubheads, but I've had the same experience as many have had in that some of their highest rated clubs didn't hit well for me at all while some lower rated clubs were quite playable.  I've had the most success with clubs in the 500-600 point category. 

• Like 1

--Rory McIlroy 

On 9/19/2023 at 8:29 AM, bcstones said:

I had to come back for another look at these.  I’m going to have dig deep for the October Oddities challenge.

19 hours ago, @_the_crook said:

When I went to clean the bag up, these was a Lord knows how old pair of Nikes stuffed down in the apparel pocket. I've never seen anything this disintegrated. 

1014231525.jpg

1014231524.jpg

nice find...I've seen similar - they were mine. I need a right shoe 1"sole addition put on all my shoes. Long story short...didn't play for a few years after I moved, shoes were is a case. I went to polish (they were leather uppers) & found the soles had begun to disintegrate, took them to a shoe repair place & was told nothing could be done - it was some kind of fungus or mold & once in, nothing could be done...there went a $300 pair of shoes. I also tossed the case. So I'd suggest you try to clean that apparel pocket up w/some kind of disinfectent...

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Shallowface said:

I never had a full set of them but that might happen yet.  I do have a five iron in my collection of oddities.  The second generation VAS might have a bit more appeal as they don't have the hosel stuck in the clubface.

For some reason I always thought they were the easiest club to line up I had ever seen.  Something about them, that long white first groove, the overall shape, not sure exactly, but they always set square very easily for me. 

The Maltby rating comes from a relatively high center of gravity and a center of gravity that's closer to the hosel than they like, which is of course due to the hosel being inset.  I like the Maltby data for comparing physical properties of clubheads, but I've had the same experience as many have had in that some of their highest rated clubs didn't hit well for me at all while some lower rated clubs were quite playable.  I've had the most success with clubs in the 500-600 point category. 

I have a set of the 792 vas 3-LW that i could part with for the right price LOL anythings for sale for the right price!

2 hours ago, bcstones said:

nice find...I've seen similar - they were mine. I need a right shoe 1"sole addition put on all my shoes. Long story short...didn't play for a few years after I moved, shoes were is a case. I went to polish (they were leather uppers) & found the soles had begun to disintegrate, took them to a shoe repair place & was told nothing could be done - it was some kind of fungus or mold & once in, nothing could be done...there went a $300 pair of shoes. I also tossed the case. So I'd suggest you try to clean that apparel pocket up w/some kind of disinfectent...

I'll bet they were nice when new. classic style. when I saw they were my size I wondered for a moment if the bottoms could be replaced. then I came to my senses.

the soles had turned to a mixture that looked like sand and small gravel. wonder if that's similar to what's happening to newer synthetic golf shoes.

as routine, I vacuumed, brushed and sanitized every part of the bag, including the pockets. even used a long dowel with rag attached to clean the tubes and floor of it.

bag's nice enough to use for club storage.

oh - there were about a dozen loose balls too. the guy liked Pinnacle Golds and short tees.

• Like 1

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

2 hours ago, @_the_crook said:

I'll bet they were nice when new. classic style. when I saw they were my size I wondered for a moment if the bottoms could be replaced. then I came to my senses.

the soles had turned to a mixture that looked like sand and small gravel. wonder if that's similar to what's happening to newer synthetic golf shoes.

as routine, I vacuumed, brushed and sanitized every part of the bag, including the pockets. even used a long dowel with rag attached to clean the tubes and floor of it.

bag's nice enough to use for club storage.

there were a great pair  (the soles w/the cleats were synthetic not leather), I wore for almost a decade prior to spending more time moving out & moving in...at least 2 years in the case. I'm wondering if the "decay" was the result of the fertalizer used on courses these days, that when left alone worked on the non-leather soles of the golf shoes. It didn't affect the leather of my shoes, nor those you found it looked like.

23 hours ago, bcstones said:

@Maine Golfer got a set of 3,5,7,9 & PW of Sam Snead Blue Ridge & may have another one or two in the orphan club bin in storage...pm me if you wish me to look or interested in the starter set. I have them up on FB Marketplace for now.

Appreciate the offer, let me get around (Spring) to bending the first one before I commit to more. 

I got this today 36 inch's (what I play) and a usable grip for $5 round up at Goodwill. Offset , I like it! 

image.png.55d539db1d75d902fe1ed1dabafd8387.png

• Like 3

Woods: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Spoon, TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood

Long Irons: Ping Zings 2 Iron, 3 Iron 

Iron Sets Cleveland Blacks 2012 5 To 9 , Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 4 to PW , Wilson X31's 1970 2 to PW , Hogan Redline's 1988  4 to E (no 7)

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  ,  Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  Wilson Sandy Andy (57 degrees)

Putter: Ping Pal or Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman Blade. 

Ball:  high number Pro V1's

On 10/14/2023 at 4:30 PM, bogieboy said:

20231014_142415.jpg.4162669308ec76309540c6360fca8206.jpgHow did i do today? 4-9 titelist dci 981 for $30...

So... got around to really inspecting these... i think someone may have hacked them down to junior lengths...LOL all 2" short of correct measurements... got the stuff on the way to put them back to standard, and then regrip and try them out as they should have been... was wondering why the first few test balls all went sliced right with s300 shafts....LOL 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, bogieboy said:

So... got around to really inspecting these... i think someone may have hacked them down to junior lengths...LOL all 2" short of correct measurements... got the stuff on the way to put them back to standard, and then regrip and try them out as they should have been... was wondering why the first few test balls all went sliced right with s300 shafts....LOL 

Also hit them with a real quick felt wheel and some Tripoli....what a difference a bit of a polish makes....

20231023_163601.jpg.8c26f31c93abc19de39098ab60499377.jpg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ezgoer said:

I’m told they were a Maltby component line. Unsure if Maltby used the Staff name by adding Custom or maybe someone refinished and applied the stickers. 

Seeing the sole plate on the woods & they sure do look nice....yuppers, they're a Maltby component line. (I have a complete set of iron heads bearing the same insert "Custom Fit Custom Built" logo thingie...some day I may even shaft them or ???)

Edited by bcstones

GW auction success. I see hickory irons on occasion but rarely see hickory woods. Got these 4 clubs for $23. All appear to be drivers to me. I know nothing about them. Suppose possibly 100 years old or close. 
IMG_2245.jpeg.140c552d108776cd6d22e8c9dfaf9e11.jpegIMG_2258.jpeg.208f8d4e5db21cd70568060407661778.jpeg

Non have whipping. Suspect the one may have been cut down idk. All the lofts seem similar to each other.

First one Ag Spalding & Bro’s model 16. Seems a little dry but solid I think?? No face insert or sole plate. Lines hand cut in face and a front side sole striker piece that’s animal hoof or horn I think I read. Weight in the back also. 

IMG_2246.jpeg.611e8983e368a2c1377ae926b845c1fc.jpegIMG_2247.jpeg.54a86bfab29be29bf90db5f09841ca5e.jpegIMG_2248.jpeg.ca0371374a4d2d2e95bbc12f627f419a.jpeg

2nd and probably the nicest of the bunch. Spalding Gold Medal R. No face insert or sole plate. Lines hand cut in face and sole striker. Pretty big brass and lead weight in the back. Has the most intact grip on it. With whipping it may be the closest to playable of the group. 
IMG_2249.jpeg.f567baabeecbe3e69e41509e98619896.jpegIMG_2250.jpeg.741d50917494c3f4d3bdc1f28ae82a48.jpegIMG_2251.jpeg.d5d2229feb86528237e30ee3f0415e60.jpeg

3rd I have no idea what it says. Hopefully a hickory person will recognize the brand logo. Close 2nd on best condition. Closest to a more modern club with a brass face insert with looks like machine cut grooves in brass and into wood. Brass sole plate also. Grip is there but loose. Could even be some type of fairway wood. Looks like the most loft of them and a slightly smaller head than first two.
IMG_2252.jpeg.d67c850014858e1e4f835e90fa40610c.jpegIMG_2253.jpeg.a599c84b3eda1f8bf1e6fc70f6713f7d.jpegIMG_2254.jpeg.4a50fd0d7cf79a12f1d325bae7bfa764.jpeg

4rth and very short at 36 inches long. Spalding Medal 58. S in Spalding is starting to look familiar. No face insert but grooves appears to be even machine type cut in wood face. Has a brass sole plate with that natural striker piece in between the plate and the club. Weight in the back also. Slightly smaller head than first 2 but loft looks similar. Guess this grip may actually be the best. Appears far more of a diy type of grip and a rough feeling leather. I can’t get two full hands on it. Could have been cut down for a kid or woman maybe? Either very small hand person or one handed club. 

IMG_2255.jpeg.ea3f528f1580bce3066cf47c387e0645.jpegIMG_2256.jpeg.c3d8635f2a3c4e67b180ae003caca70c.jpegIMG_2257.jpeg.e67a2715eca69e415072a0badef9677e.jpeg

I now have enough hickory clubs to start a storage bag anyways. Woods, a couple putters and a 2 and 9 iron. Chance on more irons shortly. 
IMG_2259.jpeg.03f1e7b45a0961eb19a772394c7efe73.jpeg

• Like 3