2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Thrift Store Jackpot

Don’t know for sure, kinda guessing. The first 2 aren’t as uniform or deep of grooves. Second 2 the grooves are much more like more modern clubs.

Thinking about it maybe instead of hand cut they had a grooved stamp plate they would tap with a hammer? If said plate was flat it could take a few different taps cuz of the roll of the face. Be pretty hard to be uniform that way. All this is sheer speculation on my part. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BIG STU said:

One thing flat out raw is I do not give 2 hoots if someone swoons over what clubs I play or not. Around here most do not pay attention anyhow they just play golf and are not club junkies like we are. Around here about any time I get any attention is if I am on the range hitting a persimmon or laminate driver well with that Whack sound. Then I get the standard question of "Why in the world are you hitting that thing?" Of course my standard answer is because I still CAN! My old club I had a couple of old gear heads that would come up on the range to see "WTH I was hitting this week?" Back in those days working in the scrapyard I found something darn near every week and of course would try it. But around my current course no one seems to care which is ok with me as in leave me alone I am doing my thing

You don't care.

I don't care.

And no one in this section of this place cares.

But if it wasn't for swoon factor this website and most of the modern golf equipment industry would cease to exist.  I mean, what else is there?  It isn't like there is any real advancement year to year.  The rules don't allow it.

Some of those kids will figure it out eventually.   

• Like 3

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

13 hours ago, Shallowface said:

You don't care.

I don't care.

And no one in this section of this place cares.

But if it wasn't for swoon factor this website and most of the modern golf equipment industry would cease to exist.  I mean, what else is there?  It isn't like there is any real advancement year to year.  The rules don't allow it.

Some of those kids will figure it out eventually.   

This.... club tech has been maxed out by the rules books for 20 years now... only real changes that have been made are how forgiving the clubs are on off center hits. If i hit my 62 macgregor DX3W persimmon driver out of the screws, it goes about 15-20 yds short of my 2016 big bertha fusion... however, i hit that mac out of the toe or the heel, and it goes about 65 yds total.... the BBF? I loose maybe 20 yds total distance off a good swing....

Thats where the tech has gone... swing better and old clubs go darn close to just as far...

• Like 3

14 hours ago, bogieboy said:

club tech has been maxed out by the rules books

it's more that the "rules book" is acknowledging today's limits, especially that golf courses are limited as to their expansion if "club tech" were not reigned in. "Club tech" is part of the "Business of golf", the part that supplies the ammo of the PR dept's "distance is king" blather & the "forgiving club" that is pushed on the average golfer w/the idea that they can hit like a pro - total bovine scat. The USGA & the R&A both have realized that the rules have to reflect the reality that courses no longer can expand, nor be built, due to lack of acrage. The "Business of golf" still pushes the line of "distance is king"...& will push the "club tech" divisions to deliver that line, however illogical that is.

• Like 1

Not a premium piece of equipment.  Not sure I would waste a new grip on it.

• Like 2

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

6 hours ago, Bigarch said:

Thats why i got a $9 sniper grip off temu...hope you didnt think i was gonna put a $30 superstroke on this one like i did my oddesey white steel srt 3 ball LOL 🤣

Besides, the grip thats on it is 100% shot, the fake leather is breaking down and leaving brown goo on everything it touches... and i figure this will be more forgiving than the 2 bullseyes i have, and looks a heck of a lot nicer than the allied blade that i found on the side of the road... that could maybe look decent with a full refinish, but i dont think it would be worth that effort.... LOL and, i like the feel/sound of a putter with an insert much better than just a bare metal face...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bigarch said:

IMHO and from the looks of it that is an Anser style not a blade

• Like 3

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

8 hours ago, BIG STU said:

IMHO and from the looks of it that is an Anser style not a blade

Unfortunately, these days the kids call everything a blade...& the business/industry of golf keeps spreading this bit of dis/mis-information'

fyi...when I first came across that temu, I googled it - it's a mainland China business that is attempting to undersell Wally-World....so I'm guessing that when you give your financial info to buy - hmmmm...which country benfits?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bcstones said:

Unfortunately, these days the kids call everything a blade...& the business/industry of golf keeps spreading this bit of dis/mis-information'

fyi...when I first came across that temu, I googled it - it's a mainland China business that is attempting to undersell Wally-World....so I'm guessing that when you give your financial info to buy - hmmmm...which country benfits?

The dis/mis information is being spread by the manufacturers....i would think they might be the ones to call it what it is....theres 2 main putter styles- blades and mallets...is an anser style putter like this or a scotty newport or any other similarly shaped putter that is significanly longer in blade length than depth a mallet? Nope... its a more forgiving blade, per the industry vernacular...

As for temu, theres a time and a place for political rants and a golf forum is NOT one of them...but since you ruffled my feathers.... when you buy a Superstroke grip, who benefits? Oh Yeah, the Korean conglomerate Voice Caddie/Daol PE... we live in an international society, which means theres an international market place, which also means that other countries might get a cut of the profit.... if you have an issue with that i believe thats about the most closed minded thinking you can have... kinda like buying a good ole american chevy truck...thats built in mexico.... its a global economy....simple as that

• Like 1

An Anser looks much more like a Newport than a blade.  A Bullseye is a blade.  A Spalding Cash-In is a blade.  That's NOT a blade by any stretch of the imagination.  Your Warrior looks like an Anser.  Case rested.  😃😇

It's also not a vintage club.  😉

Edited by SnowbirdTom
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 & 7 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4/5 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 6-PW stiff

Cleveland ZipCore RTX Tour Raw 52/56

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

@bogieboy It would be interesting to begin a link on styles of putters...are they just variations of 2 - the blade & the mallet AND are you sure you can differentiate accurately between the variations? If you have any of the Kaplan's, check out the early descriptions of putters - the H&B/PowerBilt has the earliest, beginning in the 1920s...they describe a blade putter, a flanged sole putter (they do not call it a blade & neither do they call the goose neck a blade). 

as for "political rants"....don't think I did any ranting. All I did was ask a question. You seem to be closer to ranting about where things are made. I have no interest or liking for the SuperStroke, not cuz of where it's made but I don't care for it's feel (or it garish look, for that matter). I prefer Lamkin Crossline, Avon Chamois, or Golf Pride Tour Velvet...being perfectly aware that Lamkins are made in Mexico (when I run out of the grips I have, I'll try Mint Grips & not cuz they are made in the US but cuz I might like their feel....and their cost). 
My comment came after an article on the BBC news site about how the temu phenomenon was sweeping the US...I wondered just how many people were aware of where their personal info, especially financial, went.

btw...I have no problems w/the "good ole american chevy truck...that's built in mexico". It IS a global economy, that said - Chevy/GMC is HQ'd in the US not Mexico. 

If merely asking questions, as I did, "ruffles feathers"....I can only hope that it opens minds, more awareness....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SnowbirdTom said:

An Anser looks much more like a Newport than a blade.  A Bullseye is a blade.  A Spalding Cash-In is a blade.  That's NOT a blade by any stretch of the imagination.  Your Warrior looks like an Anser.  Case rested.  😃😇

Agree.  Heel/toe weighting disqualifies a putter as a blade.   I know you can't see it in that picture, but I'd bet that is how this putter is constructed.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bcstones said:

@bogieboy It would be interesting to begin a link on styles of putters...are they just variations of 2 - the blade & the mallet AND are you sure you can differentiate accurately between the variations? If you have any of the Kaplan's, check out the early descriptions of putters - the H&B/PowerBilt has the earliest, beginning in the 1920s...they describe a blade putter, a flanged sole putter (they do not call it a blade & neither do they call the goose neck a blade). 

as for "political rants"....don't think I did any ranting. All I did was ask a question. You seem to be closer to ranting about where things are made. I have no interest or liking for the SuperStroke, not cuz of where it's made but I don't care for it's feel (or it garish look, for that matter). I prefer Lamkin Crossline, Avon Chamois, or Golf Pride Tour Velvet...being perfectly aware that Lamkins are made in Mexico (when I run out of the grips I have, I'll try Mint Grips & not cuz they are made in the US but cuz I might like their feel....and their cost). 
My comment came after an article on the BBC news site about how the temu phenomenon was sweeping the US...I wondered just how many people were aware of where their personal info, especially financial, went.

btw...I have no problems w/the "good ole american chevy truck...that's built in mexico". It IS a global economy, that said - Chevy/GMC is HQ'd in the US not Mexico. 

If merely asking questions, as I did, "ruffles feathers"....I can only hope that it opens minds, more awareness....

This day in the electronics age and information super highway called the internet everyone sells information. I recently started doing business with the Murphy Store up the street (owned by Wal Mart) and they give fuel points like Kroger and some others do. You get your card and fuel points via your phone number. Since registering with them my "spam" calls have increased on my phone. I quit doing business with them after one of the Assistant Managers made a derogatory comments about veterans in front of me and 2 other vets. This is not the time and place to detail that. I quit doing business with them that day and cancelled my "points card" Funny thing after I did that the spam calls slacked off.

Now days very few goods sold in the good old USA are made here. Club heads are cast mostly in China. Golf Pride grips when you open them up have a made in China tag. I quit getting hung up on that mess. Before I got hurt and retired I drove a truck for a scrap metal company. Ran to several shredders and steel mills every working day. I can tell you where most of the processed metal goes. We haul it in and they process it and it goes right on ship bound containers straight overseas. One of the guys made a crack in jest one day that the stuff he was loading (Stainless Steel) may be in his or mine next set of golf clubs.

• Like 4

@BIG STU know what you mean about "selling information" (as best I can I opt out of any sharing), there is no privacy on the net (whatever that is). I have no "store" cards either (except for the Star card for use at PX/BX)....guess I'm just a paranoid Vet. I don't like the business practice of wally-world, so I refuse (as much as possible) to do any business there.
I got no problems w/buying goods made in other countries & sold thru US concerns. Didn't realize that about processed metals...maybe that's why I prefer "vintage" golf clubs 🤣 (tho, I wouldn't mind finding a set of Jeff Sheets designed '99 Hogan Apex's at a price I could afford 🙃)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, dashanks said:

Agree.  Heel/toe weighting disqualifies a putter as a blade.   I know you can't see it in that picture, but I'd bet that is how this putter is constructed.  

So, using that logic, a bullseye isnt a blade either, as it has heel weighting....you know darn well you arent supposed to strike the ball on the heel flange, so what is it other than weighting for forgiveness?  that would pretty well limit the blade category to 8802s and similar then... 

11 hours ago, dashanks said:

The man himself disagrees with you.... an excerpt from Golfcare(dot)UK

Scotty Cameron is one of the leading putter manufacturers in the world. He explains the difference in the shape of the putter head as follows…

“A blade is a traditional putter with a straight club head and a narrow, or non-existent, flange (back cavity/area of the putter). It can also have heel and toe weighting. Blade putters can be designed with various neck set-ups such as plumbing, flare, round, mid-slant or mini-slant necks. Blades are usually favoured by the player with a bit of an arced putting stroke, as they promote a swinging gate, more flowing stroke.

“The putter-making world of mallets is where designers can be the most creative with materials, shapes, sizing and set-ups. A mallet putter favours the player who is striving to make a straight-back-straight-through stroke. Usually, heavier weighting is moved to the perimeter and toward the back of the mallet to increase MOI (Moment of Inertia), stability and forgiveness.” 

On 11/19/2023 at 7:12 AM, SnowbirdTom said:

19 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

Invoking Mr Xerox in this thread isn't exactly the positive thing you're imagining it to be...

All this interesting discussion about "is/isn't  a blade" = is reminding me of Crocodile Dundee!

Crocodile Dundee That's not a knife.... THIS is a Knife!!!! replica prop  weapon

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, bogieboy said:

The man himself disagrees with you.... an excerpt from Golfcare(dot)UK

Scotty Cameron is one of the leading putter manufacturers in the world. He explains the difference in the shape of the putter head as follows…

“A blade is a traditional putter with a straight club head and a narrow, or non-existent, flange (back cavity/area of the putter). It can also have heel and toe weighting. Blade putters can be designed with various neck set-ups such as plumbing, flare, round, mid-slant or mini-slant necks. Blades are usually favoured by the player with a bit of an arced putting stroke, as they promote a swinging gate, more flowing stroke.

“The putter-making world of mallets is where designers can be the most creative with materials, shapes, sizing and set-ups. A mallet putter favours the player who is striving to make a straight-back-straight-through stroke. Usually, heavier weighting is moved to the perimeter and toward the back of the mallet to increase MOI (Moment of Inertia), stability and forgiveness.” 

That's interesting.  None of the blades I can think of show any obvious indication of heel/toe weighting (Bullseye, Cash-in, 8802, etc.).   Would like to have a specific example of what he considers a heel/toe weighted blade.  I suppose there might just be a difference of opinion with traditionalists as to what constitutes a blade. Scotty probably considers all his Anser style putters to be blades. Personally, I think the term "blade" gets thrown around way too often these days.  I'd cite the Odyssey Two Ball Blade.  Really?  C'mon, man!

Edited by dashanks
  • Like 1

Needed a wedge for the Spalding Registered set.  Cruised eBay and found a Dynamiter wedge that seems to be a bit earlier than the set, but cosmetically comparable.  Too bad it didn't have the original grip, but I'll get over it.

Dynamiterwedge.png.b0c04a93a0cc6360e75e6814395e15dc.png

Dynamiterface.png.7ca51e1ae7e75e90c6147f45b8a17e03.png

Dynamitergrip.png.7074b21d841800729f5765d2d1e47cd2.png

• Like 2

TM Spider GT-X putter

5 hours ago, SnowbirdTom said:

Needed a wedge for the Spalding Registered set.  Cruised eBay and found a Dynamiter wedge that seems to be a bit earlier than the set, but cosmetically comparable.  Too bad it didn't have the original grip, but I'll get over it.

Dynamiterwedge.png.b0c04a93a0cc6360e75e6814395e15dc.png

Dynamiterface.png.7ca51e1ae7e75e90c6147f45b8a17e03.png

Dynamitergrip.png.7074b21d841800729f5765d2d1e47cd2.png

There are different versions of that wedge in both loft and off set. I do not know if certain characteristics have to do with the year they were made or not. I have 3 and all of them are different. One has a pyratone shaft and is 55* another has a lot of offset and is like 57* and another has a regular Hosle and is 55*.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Stocking up on vintage golf balls today.  4x18 pack box Ram FX Softs. Very reasonably priced.

RamFXSoft.jpeg.70d62e14d333cf83984c8d817b64512a.jpeg

• Like 3

TM Spider GT-X putter