2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Thrift Store Jackpot

56 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Not sure now but back in the day in Eastern NC and Eastern Virginia they used the terms boot for a car trunk and bonnet for the hood. They would also say if pushing a car  " I will push if you grab the handle and steer"  But you never heard those terms west of Wilson NC

That's interesting. I wonder why those words stayed in use in such a (relatively) small area.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

That's interesting. I wonder why those words stayed in use in such a (relatively) small area.

NC is a vast state east to west. It also has diverse cultures especially food wise. You have 3 distinct areas Mountains, Piedmont and Eastern. People speak differently in each area and food is diverse especially BBQ and the associated slaw. SC is also diverse from North to South. You have the Upstate, Midlands and the Low Country. Like NC they are diverse especially BBQ. Coastal SC where I now live is very diverse with all the transplants. More South of me in Georgetown county and South you have a mix of Black dialects with Geechee and Gullah dialects. One thing different is how some within the county even fix Chicken Bog. Some even call it Chicken Purloin. That and Low Country boil. Me I have a mix of Piedmont NC dialect mixed with Eastern NC dialect along with some SC low country

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

The ball collection additions.

IMG_1067.jpeg.2815453e8676e1376addb53892b2d523.jpeg

IMG_1069.jpeg.56fef558d7af62b83414db8fef18031a.jpeg

• Like 3

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 & 7 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4/5 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 6-PW stiff

Cleveland ZipCore RTX Tour Raw 52/56

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

I'm wondering about this driver that was included in a set of Hogan Edge Forged irons - a Big Bomber DT2020J Tour Series driver golf club w/a Paragon Low Torque Graphite stiff shaft & a older Lamkin Sure Tac Tour grip...
On line, I found one that had been sold in an auction that came Sam Snead's Collection w/a letter of provenance from Jack Snead (had a different graphite shaft)...oops, used a stock photo - mine is 9.5*
Who actually made it?

Thanks & Enjoy the Game

s-l1200.webp

Edited by bcstones

3 hours ago, bcstones said:

I'm wondering about this driver that was included in a set of Hogan Edge Forged irons - a Big Bomber DT2020J Tour Series driver golf club w/a Paragon Low Torque Graphite stiff shaft & a older Lamkin Sure Tac Tour grip...
On line, I found one that had been sold in an auction that came Sam Snead's Collection w/a letter of provenance from Jack Snead (had a different graphite shaft)...oops, used a stock photo - mine is 9.5*
Who actually made it?

Thanks & Enjoy the Game

s-l1200.webp

Could have been any number of component/clone manufacturers. Unless you find someone who bought one new you may not get a certain answer.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, AdamMH said:

Could have been any number of component/clone manufacturers. Unless you find someone who bought one new you may not get a certain answer.

oh, yeah...I realize that. It was just that auction of the club from the Sam Snead Collection taken care of by the Snead Family. Would love to see what else is in that collection.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2023 at 1:28 PM, SnowbirdTom said:

Picked up a $20 set of players off FB locally.  Wilson Staff Tour Blades 3-9 with original soft grips.  A bit of chrome missing, but faces are clean and grooves good. The vintage balls in the bag require some research.  An original Top Flite and some Slazengers, but the puzzler is a promo Pella ball with Cadwell cover stamped on the side with an awesome golden hue.

IMG_1063.jpeg.a4834fca8cfff5f41e946387a9405f40.jpegIMG_1064.jpeg.951a7fe74bb46c8f5efb475852321969.jpegIMG_1065.jpeg.e4e09004f4b6c597cbda5c037cdca2b6.jpeg

Have you hit these yet? If they are anything like the very similar looking FG-17s they are a total dream.

5 hours ago, blades_are_life said:

Have you hit these yet? If they are anything like the very similar looking FG-17s they are a total dream.

Not yet, been working on getting my modern club game back in control.  Swing issues.  😞

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

TM Spider GT-X putter

43 minutes ago, bcstones said:

@SnowbirdTom WOW! You're up in the Arrowhead region...no wonder you become a Snowbird 🤣

Hmmm?  I’m in the metro Detroit area.  We do Kingwood, TX in the winter for warm weather golf.

TM Spider GT-X putter

14 minutes ago, bcstones said:

feature me w/a self head slap....saw "MI" & thought "MN" 🙃🫤 

Oh, hell no!  MN is for the nordic blue bloods. Its blue because it’s frozen.  🥶

• Haha 1

TM Spider GT-X putter

46 minutes ago, SnowbirdTom said:

Oh, hell no!  MN is for the nordic blue bloods. Its blue because it’s frozen.  🥶

Very few places in the world with this type of a climate change. June 15 to September 15 on a MN lake (we got 10.000 of them) in any cabin area is awefully tough to beat. Brained is heaven, golf mecca  too!

Mosquitoes, our politics and 17 below around New Year’s Eve kinda sucks.

We can’t wear out our grips as fast as you southerners. In theory there should still be a high amount of vintage clubs still waiting for all of us. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ezgoer said:

Very few places in the world with this type of a climate change. June 15 to September 15 on a MN lake (we got 10.000 of them) in any cabin area is awefully tough to beat. Brained is heaven, golf mecca  too!

Mosquitoes, our politics and 17 below around New Year’s Eve kinda sucks.

We can’t wear out our grips as fast as you southerners. In theory there should still be a high amount of vintage clubs still waiting for all of us. 

also MN has a town w/usually the lowest temp in CONUS - Embarrass, MN in the Iron Range near the Arrowhead region. Known for extremly cold temps, as low as -60+F in the winter....however the National Weather Bureau ignores that stat cuz the town sits in a rather deep dip of the land, and since cold sinks, the town can get temps far below what is found at the normal ground level just a wee bit away...😂 still a nice town in the summer.
I think the ground frost level in Brained is less than 6" in July, isn't it? 🙃🤔😂

oh, I think the black gnats are far worse than the mosquitoes 😉
I kinda sorta remember that at Mid-Winter Carnival time in the Twin Cities, ice golf was played on Lake Como in St Paul....besides, no golf in winter means cross country skiing & ice fishing (tho, that is one aspect of living up there, I never did take part in)

Edited by bcstones
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, bcstones said:

also MN has a town w/usually the lowest temp in CONUS - Embarrass, MN in the Iron Range near the Arrowhead region. Known for extremly cold temps, as low as -60+F in the winter....however the National Weather Bureau ignores that stat cuz the town sits in a rather deep dip of the land, and since cold sinks, the town can get temps far below what is found at the normal ground level just a wee bit away...😂 still a nice town in the summer.
I think the ground frost level in Brained is less than 6" in July, isn't it? 🙃🤔😂

I kinda sorta remember that at Mid-Winter Carnival time in the Twin Cities, ice golf was played on Lake Como in St Paul....besides, no golf in winter means cross country skiing & ice fishing (tho, that is one aspect of living up there, I never did take part in)

Never been to Embarrass. Bet it’s beautiful in a rustic way. If I ever get an RV I’d love doing a fall trip up that way. That St Paul winter carnival used to be a big deal. I never did it but I think for golf they tied 3 foot string to a tennis ball and used that so you could find it in the snow. My friends dad was one of the Vulcans. If you remember them they were a huge deal in most of the carnival events. The 1932 Lavern fire engine the Vulcans used for parades and appearances was at his funeral. Ice fishing sure seems more about drinking than fishing even compared to summer fishing. Those ice house trailers can be pretty extravagant. I’ve actually seen 5th wheel versions. Kinda unnerving hearing the giant pops and cracks of the ice in the silence at night. But you’re on 20 plus inches of ice and 3 months later you can swim in it. 

• Like 1

@ezgoer trying to remember - it's something like 2" or 3" of ice is like 6"+ of steel...so it can handle most big vehicles, tho never heard of a 5th wheel version....YIKES! 
I do remember the Vulcans, they were fun & that fire engine was beautiful...the ice scluptures were beautiful & the ice castle was worth braving below zero temps (well, I thought so but the ex did not - kids had a good time). I had a neighbor, Swedish husband & wife, wonderful people. He loved ice fishing, build a kind of sled thingy that carried all his gear, he'd pull it out himself, set up & he'd fish out in the open (yuppers no house, no rv) and he'd bring back a full bucket of bass, perch,  &/or northern's every time. He died while ice fishing, massive cerebral hemorage. Wife got him back to vehicle. She said at his wake, that is exactly how he wished to cross over....

9 hours ago, bcstones said:

Montana takes exception to that statement. 😉

Region4Boscobel054.jpeg.aabc8113cb5e5ec050d2a57f4677721c.jpeg

• Haha 1

TM Spider GT-X putter

23 minutes ago, SnowbirdTom said:

Montana takes exception to that statement. 😉

Region4Boscobel054.jpeg.aabc8113cb5e5ec050d2a57f4677721c.jpeg

It shouldn't....the National Weather Bureau puts a mark on the extreme temps of Embarrass. They consider the low temps of Embarrass to be an anomoly & not reflective of the surrounding area...so Cut Bank's claim to "fame" probably stands 😂

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

IMG_1704.jpeg.2ac5f05f815210eeb9cc6e30e1c66fd0.jpegIMG_1705.jpeg.46a071a1b02a106d29070d36d988b3f9.jpegIMG_1706.jpeg.c616f055d93708f1a8d7f9321e8e37f7.jpeg
Been a few weeks since I’ve been in a thrift store but got these today. Spalding Top Flite Synchro-Dyned stainless steel irons 3,5,7,9 and Top Flite Tournament Model wedge. All with green Rocket labeled shafts. Was this Spalding’s idea of a starter set? I thought Ping Eye 2’s were indestructible. Got nothing on these! Gotta be mid 50’s at earliest with these shafts correct? 

Been wanting better driving range mules and these H&B’s should do the trick. $26 bucks for all 7 clubs and have good playable grips. 

IMG_1699.jpeg.1429ee2f1188860c3fae4592bbfd3604.jpegIMG_1700.jpeg.6c57c86680602a727d0e2d8e42719658.jpeg
Left this set behind but anyone ever see these?? Pretty low profile and some type of added weight section out high on the back of toe. No brand indication on club and looked like 80’s Apollo shafts in them. 

• Like 4

So this is an interesting pair here, i have a full set 1-5w, 2-ds wedge of 1963 macgregor MTourney VFQ with the flame ceramic irons that were a curb find along with the Acushnet Bullseye (sadly not a scotty, just a reuter), but the thrift store find is the matching staff bag (pretty sure it was a fitters bag, still has a macgregor fitting clip board in the big pocket... the bag, with a titleist 975d, and a set of adams a70s 5-pw was $13... 

20230810_180948.jpg.4ca22594340c6f05e1706eeb15684369.jpg

• Like 2