2024 The Memorial Tournament WITB Pics & New Titleist GT woods ×

Should Titleist be concerned?

williamsnrb

First, let me say, I am a huge Titleist fan. I love their equipment and their standing in the industry. However, watching the Masters this year, it is apparent that there are many players using other brands of golf ball (usually, Titleist's territory). In fact, only 5 players in the last 7 groups (14 players) of the tournament are playing Titleist golf balls (Spieth, Langer, Westwood, Berger, Cabrera). I know other companies have developed great golf balls (Srixon, Bridgestone, TM, Callaway, Nike, etc), but I have not noticed as many among leaders of tournaments as this week. So, should Titleist concerned?

917D3 9.5 Rogue Black
917F3 15 Diamana Blue
818H2 19 Tensei Blue
Mizuno MP14 2
Mizuno MP4 4-9
Vokey SM7 46, 50, 54, 58
Edel 60
(will swap 58 for 60 and a Vokey for the 2-iron as needed)
Custom Scotty Newport 2
or
Scotty X5R

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think so. There's only so much left you can do to a golf ball and many of the other OEMs have caught up. Titleist can't pay everybody.

That's what I'm beginning to wonder, though. If there is only so much that can be done to a golf ball (within the rules), what happens when the other OEM's catch up or surpass Titleist? In the 70's, McGregor and Wilson Staff had the market locked on irons and wedges. Now, Wilson is not a huge player and McGregor is nowhere to be found. I don't want the same to happen to Titleist.

917D3 9.5 Rogue Black
917F3 15 Diamana Blue
818H2 19 Tensei Blue
Mizuno MP14 2
Mizuno MP4 4-9
Vokey SM7 46, 50, 54, 58
Edel 60
Custom Scotty Newport 2
or
Scotty X5R

Why does this thread even exist ? Your basis is that since the make up of this weeks leaderboard doesn't favour the ProV1 ball count, that Titleist should be worried ? If you check the ball counts every week, Titleist is generally far ahead.

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1

Why does this thread even exist ? Your basis is that since the make up of this weeks leaderboard doesn't favour the ProV1 ball count, that Titleist should be worried ? If you check the ball counts every week, Titleist is generally far ahead.

It exists because I created it. I know that the overall ball count is in Titleist's favor. I'm saying that it has been very obvious to me this weekend that a smaller percentage of the best players on Tour are playing Titleist (it used to be no contest). I hope that trend doesn't continue for Titleist.

917D3 9.5 Rogue Black
917F3 15 Diamana Blue
818H2 19 Tensei Blue
Mizuno MP14 2
Mizuno MP4 4-9
Vokey SM7 46, 50, 54, 58
Edel 60
Custom Scotty Newport 2
or
Scotty X5R

I think, if the number of pros playing Pro V-1s is down (I'm not saying it is, as stats don't seem to indicate a major drop), it has more to do with Nike and Callaway dictating what ball their tour players must tee up than any sort of decrease in the popularity of Titleist.

Ping ISI irons 6-PW
Ping D66 putter
Titleist 910D2 driver,
TM Jetspeed 3W & 5W

TM Rescue Hybrid 23*
Ping Rapture 21* Hybrid
Ping Eye 2+ SW, Hogan Special PW

No reason to worry - at all.

Yes they may have 5 of the last 14 today but last week, next week, and 9 out of 10 weeks after than they will be back to having 10 or 12 of 14.

But even at that their success is not driven but Tour usage, but retail. The volum they sell at retail still outpaces everything else by a wide margin.

Talk to anyone on the "inside" of titleist and they'll tell you the primary reason they started the whole TPI stuff is due to amateur/public golfers. The average amateur/public player will loose a few balls (or more) a round. Multiply that by the golfing public and it's a big number of lost balls a year.

Now if through TPI you can keep people golfing for a few more years by keeping them healthy you'll sell lots more balls. Basically opposite to cigarettes. Cigs will kill ya and the cig company loses a customer, Titleist is doing the opposite.

No reason to worry - at all.

Yes they may have 5 of the last 14 today but last week, next week, and 9 out of 10 weeks after than they will be back to having 10 or 12 of 14.

But even at that their success is not driven but Tour usage, but retail. The volum they sell at retail still outpaces everything else by a wide margin.

Talk to anyone on the "inside" of titleist and they'll tell you the primary reason they started the whole TPI stuff is due to amateur/public golfers. The average amateur/public player will loose a few balls (or more) a round. Multiply that by the golfing public and it's a big number of lost balls a year.

Now if through TPI you can keep people golfing for a few more years by keeping them healthy you'll sell lots more balls. Basically opposite to cigarettes. Cigs will kill ya and the cig company loses a customer, Titleist is doing the opposite.

Yep, that's true about the reason Titleist initially funded the creation of TPI. Greg Rose still tells that story. And I know that they are the most popular ball at retail (and the Pro V1 is best ball in golf, IMO). My concern looking forward is that other OEM's catch up with the Pro V1 and maybe force their players to play the ball. Then, amateurs see that the best players are playing something else and decide to buy the other company's value ball instead of Titleist. I hope that doesn't happen. I love the Titleist brand (I'm heavily invested in TPI and was on staff with Titleist when I was a pro). I was just wondering if anyone else thought they should be concerned. I guess not, though. :)

917D3 9.5 Rogue Black
917F3 15 Diamana Blue
818H2 19 Tensei Blue
Mizuno MP14 2
Mizuno MP4 4-9
Vokey SM7 46, 50, 54, 58
Edel 60
Custom Scotty Newport 2
or
Scotty X5R

It's simple. If another OEM decides to throw more money at tour players than titleist, titleist loses the ball count. If not, they keep it. It really is that simple, comes down to money and nothing else.

That may be true.

917D3 9.5 Rogue Black
917F3 15 Diamana Blue
818H2 19 Tensei Blue
Mizuno MP14 2
Mizuno MP4 4-9
Vokey SM7 46, 50, 54, 58
Edel 60
Custom Scotty Newport 2
or
Scotty X5R

Titleist is the #1 ball because of the money they have invested in that area.

A ProV1 is no better than a 330 or a Z-star or whatever else is out there.

I hate to break this to you dude but equipment is pretty much the same across the board.

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

Titleist is the #1 ball because of the money they have invested in that area.

A ProV1 is no better than a 330 or a Z-star or whatever else is out there.

I hate to break this to you dude but equipment is pretty much the same across the board.

The differences in equipment across OEM's are certainly shrinking.

917D3 9.5 Rogue Black
917F3 15 Diamana Blue
818H2 19 Tensei Blue
Mizuno MP14 2
Mizuno MP4 4-9
Vokey SM7 46, 50, 54, 58
Edel 60
Custom Scotty Newport 2
or
Scotty X5R

Titleist shouldn't worry about the competition...

Sincerely,

Spalding Golf Division

Srixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White 2* up
dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape

Titleist shouldn't worry about the competition...

Sincerely,

Spalding Golf Division

Exactly!

917D3 9.5 Rogue Black
917F3 15 Diamana Blue
818H2 19 Tensei Blue
Mizuno MP14 2
Mizuno MP4 4-9
Vokey SM7 46, 50, 54, 58
Edel 60
Custom Scotty Newport 2
or
Scotty X5R

While I would agree that Titleist is much more concerned with their ball penetration than clubs and the last I heard they were fine, this was not a very nice way to question or respond. I realize that it's none of my business however I never can understand why a guy, unprovoked, would leave a negative or mean post. So you don't like the thread or his view? You can't voice that in a classy way? Or better yet if you can't, just pass on the thread or his or someone's post? Nathan's questions could lead to a nice thread and discussion. And even if he was a newbie and posted a redundant "stupid" thread, why do guys feel the need to hide behind anonymity and say nasty things? Again, apologies for interseding however I just have never understood this especially since the only two times I have met the individuals who as Richard says "play man" in the virtual world and when I met them in the real world, well, I'll leave it at they were mice. Have a nice week Guys :) Maddie

While I would agree that Titleist is much more concerned with their ball penetration than clubs and the last I heard they were fine, this was not a very nice way to question respond I realise that it's none of my business however I never can understand why a guy, unprovoked, would leave a negative or mean post. So you don't like the thread or his view? You can't voice that in a classy way? Or better get if you can't, just pass on the thread or his or someone's post? Nathan's questions could lead to a nice thread and discussion. And even if he was a newbie and posted a redundant "stupid" thread, why do guys feel the need to hide behind anonymity and say nasty things? Again, apologies for interseding however I just have never understood this especially since the only two times I have met the individuals who as Richard says "play man" in the virtual world and when I met them in the real world, well, I'll leAve it at they were mice. Have a nice week Guys :) Maddie

Sorry guys, didn't mean to come off as arrogant, however re-reading my past I can see how it came off.

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1

While I would agree that Titleist is much more concerned with their ball penetration than clubs and the last I heard they were fine, this was not a very nice way to question respond I realise that it's none of my business however I never can understand why a guy, unprovoked, would leave a negative or mean post. So you don't like the thread or his view? You can't voice that in a classy way? Or better get if you can't, just pass on the thread or his or someone's post? Nathan's questions could lead to a nice thread and discussion. And even if he was a newbie and posted a redundant "stupid" thread, why do guys feel the need to hide behind anonymity and say nasty things? Again, apologies for interseding however I just have never understood this especially since the only two times I have met the individuals who as Richard says "play man" in the virtual world and when I met them in the real world, well, I'll leAve it at they were mice. Have a nice week Guys :) Maddie

Sorry guys, didn't mean to come off as arrogant, however re-reading my past I can see how it came off.

This is very classy. Have a nice week KT :) Maddie

First, let me say, I am a huge Titleist fan. I love their equipment and their standing in the industry. However, watching the Masters this year, it is apparent that there are many players using other brands of golf ball (usually, Titleist's territory). In fact, only 5 players in the last 7 groups (14 players) of the tournament are playing Titleist golf balls (Spieth, Langer, Westwood, Berger, Cabrera). I know other companies have developed great golf balls (Srixon, Bridgestone, TM, Callaway, Nike, etc), but I have not noticed as many among leaders of tournaments as this week. So, should Titleist concerned?

I think your observation is a good one. If I was a title it's exec, I'd be concerned. The stranglehold they had on the ball market has definitely started to lighten. Even among better players I play with, it was almost always pro v's...but the last year or so not so much.

I think your observation is a good one. If I was a title it's exec, I'd be concerned. The stranglehold they had on the ball market has definitely started to lighten. Even among better players I play with, it was almost always pro v's...but the last year or so not so much.

You hit it on the head. I've noticed similar things with players that I see.

917D3 9.5 Rogue Black
917F3 15 Diamana Blue
818H2 19 Tensei Blue
Mizuno MP14 2
Mizuno MP4 4-9
Vokey SM7 46, 50, 54, 58
Edel 60
Custom Scotty Newport 2
or
Scotty X5R

There is a much bigger market out there and that's regular golfers and non Professionals. This the market that Titleist dominates and cares about. From what I see 75% of the players I play with use a Titleist golf ball.