2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

What is the theory behind Pete Cowen's 2 thumb grip aids?

Dave D

Here's a screenshot of how it should be fitted. Thanks to all who have posted in this thread I've been trying to figure this out for ages. I've actually got mine installed at the wrong angle, ive got it angled the opposite angle so the flat part would face the camera from FO at P6.

Will have to get that moved!

The MeandmyGolf guys have it on wrong. If you look at pictures of Clarke and Fitzpatrick, they clearly have the logoed, flat side down when the club is at P6. If you put in on like MeandmyGolf, the logoed, flat side would be pointing up at P6.

Himey77 is correct.

The boys in the video say at p3 "get the flat part of the grip to face the ground." It is clearly facing up in the video LOL.

Probably doesn't really matter however. As long as it is facing straight up or down at p3.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a screenshot of how it should be fitted. Thanks to all who have posted in this thread I've been trying to figure this out for ages. I've actually got mine installed at the wrong angle, ive got it angled the opposite angle so the flat part would face the camera from FO at P6.

The MeandmyGolf guys have it on wrong. If you look at pictures of Clarke and Fitzpatrick, they clearly have the logoed, flat side down when the club is at P6. If you put in on like MeandmyGolf, the logoed, flat side would be pointing up at P6.

Himey77 is correct.

The boys in the video say at p3 "get the flat part of the grip to face the ground." It is clearly facing up in the video LOL.

Probably doesn't really matter however. As long as it is facing straight up or down at p3.

So, in the up close pic, the logo is pointing to the right when Me&My Golf is holding the club and the correct position would be the logo to be on the left side when you're addressing the ball?

Himey77 is correct.

yeah the 2 thumb rotate grips are flat on both front and back so makes no difference, only where the logo is showing. the normal 2 thumb grips have a flat front and a ridged back

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

yeah the 2 thumb rotate grips are flat on both front and back so makes no difference, only where the logo is showing. the normal 2 thumb grips have a flat front and a ridged back

Incorrect. The 2thumb Rotate grips have 1 flat side. I recently installed one the "Cowen" way on my practice club.

If you could, post a pic of how you have it installed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Really, any flat style grip will work. The Two Thumbs are just nice because they're in the 40 and 60 gram range. Most bigger grips are in the 80+ gram range or are just too bulky in the hands. The Flat Cat Slim would work nicely at 45 grams.

SlimLight2_1024x1024.jpg?v=1458663721

on their website it says the 2 thumb rotate is 110g. What would be the advantage/disadvantage of the different weight grips?

Really, any flat style grip will work. The Two Thumbs are just nice because they're in the 40 and 60 gram range. Most bigger grips are in the 80+ gram range or are just too bulky in the hands. The Flat Cat Slim would work nicely at 45 grams.

on their website it says the 2 thumb rotate is 110g. What would be the advantage/disadvantage of the different weight grips?

Maintain swingweight with grip weighing similar to standard grip so club feels "normal" to swing. Heavier grip would make head feel lighter due to swingweight

Maintain swingweight with grip weighing similar to standard grip so club feels "normal" to swing. Heavier grip would make head feel lighter due to swingweight

I know that ? Sorry my question was tooo vague! What I meant was, why would Cowen choose to use the heavier grip? He must feel there is some advantage to doing this in training the swing.

I know that Sorry my question was tooo vague! What I meant was, why would Cowen choose to use the heavier grip? He must feel there is some advantage to doing this in training the swing.

It was probably just the shape he felt was most appropriate or fit his hands best for purpose and didn't worry or think about weight. Now some of his players play an all black grip in the two thumb style so may have gone to a lighter alternative. See Danny Willet with it!

It's not the weight, it's having a flat part to the grip which when set at 45* helps you get the club in the right position in the downswing. See the video on page 1.

I guess though the lighter the better so it's closer to the feel of a normal club.

All comments are made from the point of
view of my learning and not a claim
to expertise.

Just found this on sky sports

http://www.skysports.com/share/10736284

Very interesting. Cowen obviously thinks a lot of his abilities. If you were Stenno would you be annoyed about him saying this?

nice, I have a spare 2 thumbs around house .

m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s , and epic flash sub zero rogue 60x
m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x  and epic flash sub zero hzrdus 70x,
818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60
taylormade spider tour dj version and cleveland huntington beach number 1
epic green staff bag or taylormade flex lite 

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I am still confused about the correct way to angle the two thumb grip. If the clubface is 12:00, my understanding is that the grip runs from 2:00 to 8:00, is this correct? I.e. the grip is rotated clockwise approx 30-40*. The video posted earlier had it going the other way. Thanks

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I am still confused about the correct way to angle the two thumb grip. If the clubface is 12:00, my understanding is that the grip runs from 2:00 to 8:00, is this correct? I.e. the grip is rotated clockwise approx 30-40*. The video posted earlier had it going the other way. Thanks

check out gabe golf on instagram look for Kevin Champell he uses a super stroke grip on his training club.

as per page 1

clubcowengrip.png

How is it working for you guys?

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUz5cMht6OE"]I like to tee the ball up.. using man sized clubs.[/url]

[quote name='MonteScheinblum' timestamp='1496985379' post='15667418']
[quote name='mothman65' timestamp='1496984980' post='15667404']
Is Melbourne getting any closer to happening Momte?
[/quote]

Still need some more, but it's pretty likely I'll come. Just don't know when yet.
[/quote]

How is it working for you guys?

it really helped when I was working hard on changing my p6 position. now I've got that position pretty much sorted I swing the club a few times every 2-3 weeks probably just as a refresher - it feels completely normal now getting the club into that p6 position.

After seeing mine the teaching pro's at my club have built a couple of clubs like this for teaching and have had good success using it with students.

Is this to get the face more closed at p6?

yeah that's one use, cowen also uses it for setting wrists in backswing I believe, Fitzpatrick said he uses it for that all the time

yeah that's one use, cowen also uses it for setting wrists in backswing I believe, Fitzpatrick said he uses it for that all the time

Dave D can you explain this for me? Do you mean at P2 the 45deg angle grip faces ground on a wedge and therefore wedge is also about 45deg to ground (massively closed)?

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUz5cMht6OE"]I like to tee the ball up.. using man sized clubs.[/url]

[quote name='MonteScheinblum' timestamp='1496985379' post='15667418']
[quote name='mothman65' timestamp='1496984980' post='15667404']
Is Melbourne getting any closer to happening Momte?
[/quote]

Still need some more, but it's pretty likely I'll come. Just don't know when yet.
[/quote]

Dave D can you explain this for me? Do you mean at P2 the 45deg angle grip faces ground on a wedge and therefore wedge is also about 45deg to ground (massively closed)?

I'd say mine is set nearer 30 degrees and then the clubface matches my spine angle for a wedge which means the face is square to the arc. Top up to the sky is open in relation to the arc, not necessarily an issue on backswing if you can get it into a good position at p6.

Face matching spine angle at p6 means less hand manipulation to square face. Toe up position can result in body stall and flip

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...