$37.28 to PARK at the Players Championship on Saturday

DaddySwagMaster

Sure, go out, make a buck and God Bless You! But, don't gouge your customers either.

There's no such thing as gouging when it's an optional (and luxury) thing to buy.

It's a pretty simple system we live in. You create a product or service, you set a price, and others are free to pay for it or not. A completely voluntary system (until the powers at be tell you you have to buy something or sell something, then it gets all messed up).

You are correct. If people are willing to pay the price, there are people willing to offer it. As I said, I'm all for making a buck, I just think over charging people is wrong, even if they are willing to pay that price. Strictly my opinion.

For example, I vaguely remember you could get parking for a Red Sox game for $20. When they were in the playoffs against the Yankees all of a sudden those $20 spots turned into, if I remember correctly, $60. Yes, people paid it...willingly. But, to me it was wrong to charge that kind of price.

Yes, make a profit, that's what capitalism is all about, but taking advantage of others is something else altogether different. To me good business should be a win-win-win: for the customer, for the vendor, for the employee.

If I was a billionaire I would never play Pebble Beach. It's the principle of the thing. $495? Sure they get it, and they are booked solid, but they could still make a tidy profit by charging less, a lot less. I'm not going to feed the greed.

Pebble could not accommodate any more players though. If they are full at that price point it is priced correctly. People complain about Pro V1 price and yet they are the most popular ball in golf. Should they cut the price?

The price of the ProV is the price for pretty much all premium golf balls, give or take a couple of dollars. I never heard anyone complain about ProV1 prices. Maybe they should charge $90 a dozen. Would that make you happy?

As I said earlier, Pebble is booked solid. Doesn't mean it's priced correctly though. It just means there are people willing to pay that price. I'll just never be one of them. If I go to a ball park and am not allowed to bring in any water, and they charge me $6.00 for a bottle of water, you think that's a reasonable price? I don't.

I have no problem with folks making a profit, as I've said. Repeatedly. That's as it should be. But taking advantage of people, knowing you have a product, service, or what have you, that people want, and knowing they will pay the "upcharge" is something altogether different.

I'd pay $250 to play Pebble, and I think at that price those folks would still make a very tidy profit.

If you want to pay $500 for a round of golf, be my guest.

Never have paid $500 and doubt I will. But then I don't own a Rolex or Bugatti either but don't think they should lower their prices.

Just differing opinions on our system. I believe it works fairly, there are no rights to certain products at a discount that others will pay more for.

Titleist TSR3 9° Tensei Pro Blue 60 

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never have paid $500 and doubt I will. But then I don't own a Rolex or Bugatti either but don't think they should lower their prices.

Just differing opinions on our system. I believe it works fairly, there are no rights to certain products at a discount that others will pay more for.

I don't think Rolex or Bugatti should lower their prices either.

Unfortunately your not getting my point. Either I am not articulating it properly or you just don't understand what I am saying.

I don't think Rolex or Bugatti should lower their prices either.

Unfortunately your not getting my point. Either I am not articulating it properly or you just don't understand what I am saying.

You said, or at least I understood, that Pebble should lower their prices because they could still make a decent profit. And that there Red Sox should lower prices for the same reason, even though they sell out every game. Did I read that wrong?

I've never been to The Players, so I am probably talking completely out of my hat here, but based upon posts that describe "free" parking options (four ticketed passengers in a car, or free shuttle services from other locations) I suspect the cost of parking is as much about rationing the parking as it is about maximizing profits. That $37.28 may be there to discourage people from parking there, simply because they don't have enough room for all of the cars that would want to park there.

Encouraging car-pooling and providing free shuttles from more remote locations seems like a decent and logical way to ease the problem for the masses. And if someone can't be bothered with taking advantage of either of those generously provided options, well, not to be nasty, but fork over the money and accept the fact that you did have cheaper options.

OP, I don't go to these events because I ,too, don't enjoy crowds, and frankly, the golf course itself is not an easy place to get the feel (for me, anyway) of the tournament because I can only see a small area ( a very small area) of a contest that is occurring over a very large area. I'd go to The Masters to see Augusta National, but I'd watch the DVR to see the tournament. I'm sorry you won't be going though, as it sounds like you and your wife could use the time together and the enjoyment and diversion. In a way you are fortunate that your wife actually has some enthusiasm for the game and the contestants. I couldn't drag my wife to one of these things, but I'd go if she had some enthusiasm for it.

Best of luck down the road.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

I do find it interesting that i see so much, in the caddy threads, aswell as others like this one, where so many Americans (and i am guessing middle class and above mostly) make comments about fair prices, sharing wealth with caddies etc....that sound downright....Canadian

I mean we are all smart enough to understand how supply and demand works right? Going to a sporting event is a ridiculous proposition for a middle income family these days. I have many friends who have young kids as a 34 year old, and none of them really take their kids to Habs game. Most people i know who go to games are either very wealthy or have access to corporate tickets. Other fans there are single people going with friends and sitting in the nosebleeds and paying for their own ticket. Family of 4 in decent seats with any kind of food and parking, you might aswell go to Cuba for a week

The live sports market is catering to corporations and the wealthy. I don't know if Golf is as bad as most pro sports, but it wouldn't shock me.

But if it makes you that unhappy....than get it over with and vote Bernie Sanders and than we are one step closer to merging countries (I've had my eye on Minnesota for a long time, those dudes sound just like us). It's not so bad. You will all love Tim Hortons

Totally agree with your comment about live sports market catering to corps and the wealthy, not to families. When I was a lad growing up in Cincinnati, in the 1960s my dad could take me to Crosley Field to see the Reds play and it cost him $2.50 per seat. It was a small park, and those were sweet seats, right over 1st base. On weekends my buddy and I could go to day games without parents, and get in for $1.50 each and an extra dollar for the bus to take us in from a suburban shopping center. One day we wound up in the middle of a bunch of families from Chicago (Cubs doubleheader) and they FED us from their picnic baskets. One of the most fun days of my life.

Personally, I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars to watch a baseball game so A-Rod can make 25 million a year instead of a paltry million or so. They can have it.

I'll have to give some more thought to your suggestion about annexing Minnesota. Are you sure you want The Twins?

FORE RIGHT!!!!

Honestly blown away by some of the prices that are being mentioned here just for parking... I'm with the OP on this one, that is just greedy.

I know it's all relative and whatnot but here in SA the most I would pay for parking is R50 which works out to $3.27, anything higher than that and I'd rather park somewhere for free and walk!

There's nothing you can really do about it though, convenience normally means a higher price and in this day and age convenience is king. They'll continue to charge ridiculous prices and people will hand over the money whilst complaining about doing so.

Titleist 910D3 9.5°
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

I do find it interesting that i see so much, in the caddy threads, aswell as others like this one, where so many Americans (and i am guessing middle class and above mostly) make comments about fair prices, sharing wealth with caddies etc....that sound downright....Canadian

I mean we are all smart enough to understand how supply and demand works right? Going to a sporting event is a ridiculous proposition for a middle income family these days. I have many friends who have young kids as a 34 year old, and none of them really take their kids to Habs game. Most people i know who go to games are either very wealthy or have access to corporate tickets. Other fans there are single people going with friends and sitting in the nosebleeds and paying for their own ticket. Family of 4 in decent seats with any kind of food and parking, you might aswell go to Cuba for a week

The live sports market is catering to corporations and the wealthy. I don't know if Golf is as bad as most pro sports, but it wouldn't shock me.

But if it makes you that unhappy....than get it over with and vote Bernie Sanders and than we are one step closer to merging countries (I've had my eye on Minnesota for a long time, those dudes sound just like us). It's not so bad. You will all love Tim Hortons

Totally agree with your comment about live sports market catering to corps and the wealthy, not to families. When I was a lad growing up in Cincinnati, in the 1960s my dad could take me to Crosley Field to see the Reds play and it cost him $2.50 per seat. It was a small park, and those were sweet seats, right over 1st base. On weekends my buddy and I could go to day games without parents, and get in for $1.50 each and an extra dollar for the bus to take us in from a suburban shopping center. One day we wound up in the middle of a bunch of families from Chicago (Cubs doubleheader) and they FED us from their picnic baskets. One of the most fun days of my life.

Personally, I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars to watch a baseball game so A-Rod can make 25 million a year instead of a paltry million or so. They can have it.

I'll have to give some more thought to your suggestion about annexing Minnesota. Are you sure you want The Twins?

Pretty much every live professional sporting event is now on television. The large salaries and large sums of money changing hands with regards to sports nowadays are because of things like advertising revenue that comes from sports being on TV and/or the internet.

Want to lower the prices of sporting events? Be prepared to see none of them on TV.

Wow, reading this makes me feel good about the Wells Fargo Championship last week. Parked for free at Carowinds, took a bus over (10 - 15 minute ride) to Quail Hollow and back. It was seamless.

Driver: Mizuno ST-Z 10.5* Mitsubishi Kai'Li 60 Stiff 45"
FW: Callaway Steelhead XR 4+ 16* Aldila Rogue Silver 70 Stiff

HYB - Taylormade DHY (18* & 22*) Recoil Dart Stiff (+1")
Irons: Taylormade P790 (5-AW) Nippon Modus 105 Stiff (+1")
Wedges: Cleveland RTX-4 (53* & 57*) DG Stiff
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X-5 (36") Dual-Balance
Stand Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5
Ball: ????

I stopped going to pro sporting events years ago. Aside from the occasional minor league baseball game or a one off event, the hassle+the expense does not outweigh watching from my living room where I an get everything in stunning HD.

It's like when I load up the family truckster and take the family to Disneyworld. I know it will be expensive and there will be massive crowds. Why get frustrated when you know what you are getting yourself into? Just enjoy it or stay home.

As for the Players, you might want to think "Thanks for the sweet deal on the military passes...here's my parking money". I'm military too. They don't have to offer us those rates but they do.

Thanks for your service.

Cobra Fly-Z+
Cobra Amp Cell 3w/Cobra Rail F 5w
Cobra Amp Cell 2H
Mizuno MP-59
Mizuno MP-T4
Ping Anser 2

The WNBA will be starting up pretty soon. Plenty of cheap tickets available.

Why do people complain about paying premium prices for premium events and experiences? If you want to go watch golf cheaply, go plunk your lawn chair on the cusp of the 18th green at your local muni.

All premium events/experiences are expensive. Ever flown 1st class? Ever seen a Broadway play? Ever skied Whistler/Blackcomb? Do you know what a few days at Disney costs for a family of 4?

Come on now, let's use some common sense instead of getting all emotionally balled up over basic economics.

I think people are complaining because the costs are getting really high and it's causing people to re-think their decision.

To answer your question, I haven't skied whistler, but I've been to other top resorts. Vail/Beaver Creek used to be $35/day to ski, then it started going up, and up, and up. I went last year and it was $149/day.

NY Giants football tickets used to be $75 for lower level. Now they are $700 plus the seat license.

Can people afford it? Sure. But they end up spending obscene amounts of money on these things. Then those who can't really afford it stretch things so that they can enjoy some nice things in life. Maybe they should make an extra mortgage payment each year, but instead they go to a baseball game and spend $1500. Maybe they should save more for college, or retirement, but instead they have to spend $1000 just for a family of 4 to ski for a day. And how to many people do this? As mentioned above, they use the easy credit that's available and put it on their card.

I understand economics. But the problem is that people can find ways to "afford" it, but the reality is that they can't really afford it.

OP, don't bother going, unless your wife really really wants to go. Or go the practice rounds. Those are better anyway. And I hope you have a professional that you talk to about your situation. I can't imagine what it's like to deal with that, but talking to someone does help. Stick with it and in time hopefully you can find some happiness.

Pretty much every live professional sporting event is now on television. The large salaries and large sums of money changing hands with regards to sports nowadays are because of things like advertising revenue that comes from sports being on TV and/or the internet.

Want to lower the prices of sporting events? Be prepared to see none of them on TV.

I have to think about this one for a while. Off the cuff, while I agree that big advertising revenue has led to big contracts, and big earnings, I don't see how they lead to big ticket prices. If anything, it should allow for lower ticket prices, as operating costs are offset by advertising revenue, usually in the form of TV deals.

What I think has lead to ticket increases is, as MtlJeff says, the successful marketing of the onsite tickets to corporations, who use the experience to wine and dine clients by bringing them out the ball park. These are the same dudes who think nothing of buying the $1,000 bottle of wine at a restaurant, funded with an expense account. I mean, who cares what it costs when you are trying to impress the person who might give your company an order worth tens of millions of dollars?

I'm not saying it needs to change, or that I deserve a cheaper ticket. I'm just saying that's how I think it works now.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

I grew up as a kid/teen in the 70s; I am raising a teen now.

In order to do the same things today with my own family (as I did growing up) - it takes more than 6X the income - and incomes over the years haven't moved very much in 30 years...maybe increased by about 2x...maybe? Gas, milk, eggs - all cost much more... 6X vs 2X....do the math.

It's not just pro sports prices - it's everything. Insane times we live in. :(

OP, you know what would really bite? Going through all of this aggravation so your wife can see Rory, and then have him miss the cut.

That would be MY luck, trying to impress my wife. "Oh...Honey....I guess I never explained to you the concept of 'the cut', did I? Oh well, look! There's Nick Taylor!!"

yep... I can see it all now.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

In order to do the same things today with my own family (as I did growing up) - it takes more than 6X the income - and incomes over the years haven't moved very much in 30 years...maybe increased by about 2x...maybe? Gas, milk, eggs - all cost much more... 6X vs 2X....do the math.

Inflation rates were significantly higher in the 70's and the 80's than they are now. In this decade we are experiencing the lowest rate of inflation since the 60s. Long term average since the early 1900s has been about 3.2% or so. At 3.2% prices double roughly every 22 yrs. Of course that is measuring a general cross-section of goods, there are certainly ares that have grown at significantly higher rates of inflation.

I have to think about this one for a while. Off the cuff, while I agree that big advertising revenue has led to big contracts, and big earnings, I don't see how they lead to big ticket prices. If anything, it should allow for lower ticket prices, as operating costs are offset by advertising revenue, usually in the form of TV deals.

What I think has lead to ticket increases is, as MtlJeff says, the successful marketing of the onsite tickets to corporations, who use the experience to wine and dine clients by bringing them out the ball park. These are the same dudes who think nothing of buying the $1,000 bottle of wine at a restaurant, funded with an expense account. I mean, who cares what it costs when you are trying to impress the person who might give your company an order worth tens of millions of dollars?

I'm not saying it needs to change, or that I deserve a cheaper ticket. I'm just saying that's how I think it works now.

Most Major League Baseball franchises would LOSE money if it weren't for revenue sharing and teams splitting TV revenues. Part of the reason big market ball clubs charge like they do is because they HAVE to - a lot of their profits are eaten up by revenue sharing, which in turn allows teams in small markets to survive. I know for a fact that my closest franchise in Milwaukee would not exist without it.

As far as golf goes, every tournament gives massive amounts of money to charity, being part of a non-profit entity like the PGA Tour. The OP's beef was that, because of the parking price, that somehow it was Tim Finchem's way of being greedy and pocketing a bunch of cash. Which is a ridiculous statement to make.

My biggest issue with this entire thread is the OP bitching about the cost of a parking pass and labeling it as "greed", while seemingly glossing over the fact that he was getting his admission ticket at a 60% discount through a military special. He's simply come across as a hypocritical jerk who is the type of guy who isnt happy unless he's complaining about something, and is trying to place some sort of blame somewhere other than himself that he can't afford to go to a professional sporting event.

Wow, reading this makes me feel good about the Wells Fargo Championship last week. Parked for free at Carowinds, took a bus over (10 - 15 minute ride) to Quail Hollow and back. It was seamless.

Yes, and thanks for weighing in honestly. The wife and I were on the fence about choosing between the Players and driving to Charlotte and staying with friends who live in Hickory, and going to the Wells Fargo. The only reason we didn't was because the friends were out of town this last weekend.

With your information, we will make the journey to Charlotte next year and do the Wells Fargo. We used to live in Hickory, so it'll give me an excuse to see some good friends as well as the golf tournament.

Most Major League Baseball franchises would LOSE money if it weren't for revenue sharing and teams splitting TV revenues. Part of the reason big market ball clubs charge like they do is because they HAVE to - a lot of their profits are eaten up by revenue sharing, which in turn allows teams in small markets to survive. I know for a fact that my closest franchise in Milwaukee would not exist without it.

As far as golf goes, every tournament gives massive amounts of money to charity, being part of a non-profit entity like the PGA Tour. The OP's beef was that, because of the parking price, that somehow it was Tim Finchem's way of being greedy and pocketing a bunch of cash. Which is a ridiculous statement to make.

My biggest issue with this entire thread is the OP bitching about the cost of a parking pass and labeling it as "greed", while seemingly glossing over the fact that he was getting his admission ticket at a 60% discount through a military special. He's simply come across as a hypocritical jerk who is the type of guy who isnt happy unless he's complaining about something, and is trying to place some sort of blame somewhere other than himself that he can't afford to go to a professional sporting event.

Thanks for the harsh judgment over one thread post.

Oh, and your analysis of MLB is way off. MLB loses money because of idiot owners signing Alex Rodriguez to $25 million a year contracts when they fail to do basic budgeting and realize two years into that 10 year deal that they can't afford to pay him that. It's not revenue sharing or anything else, other than salaries for players that are far beyond the means of most of these franchises.

Same goes for the PGA Tour as well. Sure, the Players is a $10 million purse, because they feel they can afford to pay it out. But before Tiger Woods came along go look at the purses for the PGA Tour. I'm really not sure why purses exploded in the last 15 years or so to the point where a player could win one tournament and then retire for life and still be fine financially.

You can (ignorantly) judge me and call me whatever names you want. It still doesn't change the fact that Tim Finchem is a greedy SOB, and the parking at the Players is overpriced. And I can say that honestly, because I am speaking with my wallet. I looked at the price, vented here, and after further consideration, opted not to attend this tournament and pay that sort of price for parking.

And to everyone else here calling me all sorts of names, criticizing my rant as whatever; I am new here, and I think I've posted one or two other things here. NONE of you know me (unless you are from another golf forum fwiw). Ignorantly blasting in to me because I decided to complain here about overpriced parking gives me ZERO incentive to want to post anything going forward. Some of you might like the fact that I doubt I'll post anything else here, and you can call me whatever sorts of names you want. But this thread is a great example of how we are losing manners, and civility in public places. Would you talk like this to my face? No doubt that some of you are young enough to be my children. Frankly, if what I see is any indication of what the 20-something generation is like, your reputation as the entitlement generation is well deserved.

Wow. Someone here really loves the PGA Tour. Here's a good article to read. Maybe they are a bit greedy:

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/10089803/pga-tour-tax-breaks-help-fuel-giving-which-falls-industry-standards

Inflation rates were significantly higher in the 70's and the 80's than they are now. In this decade we are experiencing the lowest rate of inflation since the 60s. Long term average since the early 1900s has been about 3.2% or so. At 3.2% prices double roughly every 22 yrs. Of course that is measuring a general cross-section of goods, there are certainly ares that have grown at significantly higher rates of inflation.

With respect I kept my explanation simple - it's one that anyone on this board can grasp from a 10 year old kid to a 75 year old adult. You're talking about theory - and frankly the world doesn't adhere to theory (as your last sentence admits).

My thumbnail test is pretty simple:

What did it cost to do X, Y and Z with your family in the 80s? And what did your parents earn?

VS

What did it cost you to provide the same things for your own kids? and what did you have to earn?

My guess is that prices will have risen about 6X but salaries for the same type of jobs have risen by 2X (or less).

You are right - that may be the reason why things rise....but it doesn't solve the problem for how to pay for them - which is the pain that most people feel. :)

Same goes for the PGA Tour as well. Sure, the Players is a $10 million purse, because they feel they can afford to pay it out. But before Tiger Woods came along go look at the purses for the PGA Tour. I'm really not sure why purses exploded in the last 15 years or so to the point where a player could win one tournament and then retire for life and still be fine financially.

You can (ignorantly) judge me and call me whatever names you want. It still doesn't change the fact that Tim Finchem is a greedy SOB, and the parking at the Players is overpriced. And I can say that honestly, because I am speaking with my wallet. I looked at the price, vented here, and after further consideration, opted not to attend this tournament and pay that sort of price for parking.

And to everyone else here calling me all sorts of names, criticizing my rant as whatever; I am new here, and I think I've posted one or two other things here. NONE of you know me (unless you are from another golf forum fwiw). Ignorantly blasting in to me because I decided to complain here about overpriced parking gives me ZERO incentive to want to post anything going forward. Some of you might like the fact that I doubt I'll post anything else here, and you can call me whatever sorts of names you want. But this thread is a great example of how we are losing manners, and civility in public places. Would you talk like this to my face? No doubt that some of you are young enough to be my children. Frankly, if what I see is any indication of what the 20-something generation is like, your reputation as the entitlement generation is well deserved.

Would you call Tim Finchem a "greedy SOB" to HIS face?

I doubt it.

So, stop preaching about calling you names or criticizing your rant. You label a man whom you've never met a "greedy SOB" because of the price of a parking pass for a golf tournament. This despite the fact that its been pointed out in numerous posts how you can park at The Players for free or for a discounted rate from other locations. Likewise, you still seem to gloss over the fact that you're getting in the door for 60% regular price because of your military discount. Yet you still rail on and on about how the commish of the PGA Tour is "greedy".

You're free to attend or not attend as you see fit. But if you decide NOT to attend, and the main reason for not attending is cost, stop bitching at an internet forum about it. There are lots of things Id love to do with my family with regards to entertainment and travel that we dont do, mainly because we cant afford it. But Im not going to go on an internet forum and complain about it in an effort to make myself feel better about it. We do what we can, when we can, and simply enjoy it...not whine and moan in a jealous fit because someone else can do more than us. The Players charges what they charge for parking because THEY CAN - and like it said, the lots will be full. Because for every person like you who doesnt want to pay that for parking, multiple other people will, because they're excited about going to the event and dont necessarily care that a parking pass to get you on the grounds is going to cost about the same price as a box of balls by most OEM's.

Likewise, as far as The Players purse goes, that's what the tournament can pay out. The fact that someone can win a Tour event and "be fine financially" is none of my concern. They're the top 1% in the world at playing golf, and they get to do it for a living. Im not going to whine about it. They put in the time, work and effort to get good at golf to play it professionally, and are now reaping the rewards for it. No different than any other sport or any other way of making a living.

Man alive, you and your wife can get Saturday tickets and parking to The Players for less than $100. As far as Im concerned, that's a hell of a great way to spend a Saturday with your wife, who likes golf from what I understand in your earlier posts. Instead, you're turning this into a rant about Tim Finchem. And you wonder why people are criticizing you.

My $.02

Parking is limited. This is why you have to buy it advance as it may/will sell out. The price is set high to encourage most people to find other ways of getting to the course as if it was cheap parking they would run out. They figure if you really want it you will pay for it.

• They have been very cool and offered free parking for groups of four or more.
  • They offer a $10 Shuttle from town from multiple locations.

I don't think the parking price is really a big deal but I leave in a big city where parking a for few hours downtown is $20.

To the OP, you have regularly mentioned how greedy Tim Finchem is, but seem gloss over the fact that you were given 60% off of the regular ticket price. That's not something they are, by any means, required to do for anybody for any reason. You were also given alternatives to paying that parking fee, none of which were something that could ever work for you for any reason.

Are things expensive at an event with one of the best fields of the year? Yes, they are. This is because of the perceived value of the event. There's a pretty solid chance that things go up in price until sales drop off, which means you've found what you can actually charge for that event.

People are always jealous of that which that can't afford. You are obviously a hater.

At least that's what I read on every other thread b!tching about the price of anything... :rolleyes:

That, and apparently the parking lot owner is a "marketing genius!"

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

The answer to almost every post? TV MONEY. Ticket prices are based, mostly, on what the market will bear. As are parking prices :) The LA Dodgers make over $250 million a year in LOCAL television money. Enough to pay even their bloated payroll. Their ticket prices are not to pay expenses, just what the market will bear. The PGA tour purses, to answer the op from a few posts above, soared when Tiger came in and advertising revenue and television rights soared. Not from higher parking prices or ticket prices. Every sports team plays a balancing act with regards to ticket pricing and maxing revenue.

Oh, and your analysis of MLB is way off. MLB loses money because of idiot owners signing Alex Rodriguez to $25 million a year contracts when they fail to do basic budgeting and realize two years into that 10 year deal that they can't afford to pay him that. It's not revenue sharing or anything else, other than salaries for players that are far beyond the means of most of these franchises.

Pot, meet Kettle. "Pot is there something you want to say to Kettle?"

Sorry, you sound a bit entitled to me. It is not a right to get cheap parking at an event, you can not expect people just to give you what you want all the time.

What a family community we have here. Kudos to all the kind hearted posters jumping on a guys back for having a legitimate gripe about parking costs being raised to $37.28 from $25 the year before.

Also all you people talking about capitalism and other sporting events- let me remind you that all of these PGA tournaments are staffed by unpaid volunteers. The actual expense base is not comparable to other events that have to pay hourly wages to the working staff. Add-in the huge tax breaks from year end charitable donations and you are left with a professional association that prints money.

What a family community we have here. Kudos to all the kind hearted posters jumping on a guys back for having a legitimate gripe about parking costs being raised to $37.28 from $25 the year before.

Also all you people talking about capitalism and other sporting events- let me remind you that all of these PGA tournaments are staffed by unpaid volunteers. The actual expense base is not comparable to other events that have to pay hourly wages to the working staff. Add-in the huge tax breaks from year end charitable donations and you are left with a professional association that prints money.

But, as has been stated countless times in this thread, he has options to make parking much less expensive ($10) or free (bring 2 more people with in his car). There is also the fact that parking (without those other options), plus two (2) tickets will cost $87.28 for him and his wife, or about 25% more than what I pay just for one (1) ticket and no parking. That's where people are having their gripe. If you are given options and discounts that still aren't good enough for you, you're going to have others have issues with that.

Sorry, but I dont have much time for someone who is getting a 60% discount on tickets complaining about a raise in the parking costs by calling the PGA Tour commish a "greedy SOB", and then for that person to completely dismiss every alternative that's been presented to him on how he can save on parking costs.

If he wants a legit conversation about the parking costs, then start the thread that way by saying something like this:

"Hey guys, Im thinking about going to The Players this year on a Saturday, and I got a killer deal on tickets, but I see the parking pass is $37 and I would like to find a way to not spend that much. Anybody have any ideas on how I can save on parking?"

Instead, he's using this thread as some sort of vehicle for everyone to feel sorry for him so he can vent his anger at being inconvenienced in this horrible way by that mean, greedy SOB Tim Finchem.

Wait a second, OP I have a solution to your problem. You can't afford parking, but other people are paying $10 to take a bumpy worn down bus to the event from a nearby hotel. Parking is free if you have four people. Solution is pretty simple, slip on by the hotel with your wife, talk to a few people in line and let them know that you will drive them there and back for $10. They get to be in a nice air conditioned car and can even select the radio station to listen to. Maybe provide a bottle of water for them. Now you have 4 people so you park for free and use the $20 you just made to buy yourself a nice frosty brew.

Oh and stop moaning about people calling you names when they never met you when you call Finchem names without ever meeting him. Maybe this year you can write him a letter saying thanks for the free parking and cold beer.