2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

$37.28 to PARK at the Players Championship on Saturday

DaddySwagMaster

So don't go?

Since I live over 2 hours away, that thought crossed my mind immediately. I'm getting military tickets for $25 each, so I do find it kind of insane that parking is more than a ticket is.

And if I could find two other people to carpool with, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Most people in Tallahassee don't have the passion and love for the game of golf that I do.

Granted, the more I read responses like this to my posts, the less and less I feel that passion and love for the game of golf.

And I find it laughable that someone was actually stupid enough to pay upwards of $50 for parking at an event. I wouldn't even pay that much for a ticket to something, so some of you who seem to have an unlimited budget for sporting events, just keep in mind that not everyone here makes 6 figures a year or more. Heck, some of us are just able to afford the $50 a month I get for a membership at an out of county golf course.

In short, the general economics of the GolfWRKs crowd is slightly skewed and has lost touch with reality.

I'm not in the 6 figure crowd. But I go to events for the experience. Maybe it was worth the price. Maybe we got a great deal. But I do know my experience was top notch. And that's mine. Hard to put a price on a memory of going to a US Open over Fathers Day with my dad. I saved up. I made it work. All because it was worth it to me.

If you are doubting that $37.28 is worth it for parking, you've probably defeated yourself already, and you can guess what kind of time you will have at the event. Sometime great experiences take some sacrifice and effort, whether its time or money or both. If you deem it worthwhile, go and have a blast. If not, check it out on the big screen at home.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So don't go?

GOLFWRX is getting full of people posting crap instead of participating in the forum. The OP has a legitimate gripe...32 bucks and really poor parking facilities are nothing but a money grab. Nothing screams stupid more than posting *so don't go".

But that's how the economy works, right? If enough people are willing to pay it to fill up the facility, than is it a money grab or good business by capitalist standards?

Restaurants around our Bell center jack up their pricing for the SAME food on game nights, and they are always full

The best advice truly is if you don't like the price of something don't buy it

Sacre Bleu. I guess that's a "bonus" of being a Caps fan. DC is ALWAYS expensive, so they don't have to jack up prices for game days. And some places in Chinatown do run a buck or two off beer specials for happy hours before and during games. But $8.50 for a Miller Lite aluminum bottle is ridiculous inside the stadium. Heck, it's even $6 for a bottle of water!!!!

I would think people would be a little more in agreement with the OP on this. That's a money grab by the tournament.

No its not. Because I'll guarantee you the lots will be full, or damn close to it.

When going to a sporting event, you have to take into account the entirety of the costs...for some, its just a ticket to the event. For others, its a ticket + travel costs + parking + hotel, etc.

So don't go?

GOLFWRX is getting full of people posting crap instead of participating in the forum. The OP has a legitimate gripe...32 bucks and really poor parking facilities are nothing but a money grab. Nothing screams stupid more than posting *so don't go".

If you say so, but money (or a lack of money) speaks louder than words on a forum.

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

So don't go?

If you say so, but money (or a lack of money) speaks louder than words on a forum.

I agree. If a $37 parking ticket is going to get in the way of attending one of the great golf events every year in the US, then its an easy decision...dont go.

The OP probably has no problem though shelling out nearly $50 for a box of Titleists, though. To each his own. Its all what you put the value of the experience at. Either you want to go at the advertised price, or you dont.

I would think people would be a little more in agreement with the OP on this. That's a money grab by the tournament.

No its not. Because I'll guarantee you the lots will be full, or damn close to it.

You missed the part about their not being any other options for getting to the Players, as it's isolated from the community around it, and any areas within walking distance are blocked off and reserved for those not in the general public.

As a side note, I used to live in Miami, and attended many Miami Dolphins games. The parking around the stadium got to about $25 and I couldn't justify paying it, so I parked my car in a shopping center a mile or so from the stadium for free and walked to the stadium from there.

But the Players is different. I actually went last year, and the biggest hastle with this tournament is the parking and getting in the place. So when I post here, complaining about the cost of the parking, it also comes with the caveat that you don't have a choice, and for that amount of money, the PGA Tour should be doing a better job of getting people in and out of the lot. Last year it took us 2 1/2 hours to go about a mile, waiting to get into the parking lot. But it's a monopoly, because if you want to go to this tournament, you don't have a choice but to pay the parking fee and try and park in the lot.

But like my Miami Dolphins experiences, if you raise the price too high, and there are other options, people (and capitalism) will find other cheaper ways to avoid getting screwed. Folks living around Joe Robbie stadium would sell parking on their lawns for half the price, and people would park there and walk. The Dolphins had to adjust their parking costs because of this.

The Players is unique in that it's a monopoly for the PGA Tour, because they built this course on former swampland that is 10 miles from civilization.

Oh, and I still haven't bought this thing, and the more I read responses here, and consider this whole thing, the more I'm inclined to take advantage of one of my free rounds of golf next Saturday over at Bay Point in Panama City. That's also a 2 hour drive from my house, but parking is free, and so is the golf.

Fighting 30,000 people for a parking spot, and a vantage point to see a Tour pro hit a golf shot is honestly not the highest of my priorities. And yes, watching on TV is always a better option.

The OP probably has no problem though shelling out nearly $50 for a box of Titleists, though. To each his own. Its all what you put the value of the experience at. Either you want to go at the advertised price, or you dont.

Um, hell no. I usually get my balls from mggolf.com for $19.95 a dozen plus shipping. It's as good as a ProV1 for less than half the price.

The Players isn't offering any off site parking/shuttles?

They are offering a shuttle from downtown hotels for $10. The catch there is that you have to pay $20 to park at the hotels. So it's $30 to park at a downtown hotel, which is actually further away and you are limited on when you can leave to get back to your car.

Horrible option compared to just parking on site honestly, unless you happen to be staying in one of those hotels (which I cannot afford fwiw).

Why do people complain about capitalism so much? Money grab? Of course. That's how our society operates. Why should Finchem sell something for $20 when people are willing to pay $35? Supply and demand... Everyday parking in Philly or NYC is $30. The Players isn't offering any off site parking/shuttles?

I know. Downtown B'more to Philly is $16 in tolls one way on I95. Almost as much coming back.

You missed the part about their not being any other options for getting to the Players, as it's isolated from the community around it, and any areas within walking distance are blocked off and reserved for those not in the general public.

As a side note, I used to live in Miami, and attended many Miami Dolphins games. The parking around the stadium got to about $25 and I couldn't justify paying it, so I parked my car in a shopping center a mile or so from the stadium for free and walked to the stadium from there.

But the Players is different. I actually went last year, and the biggest hastle with this tournament is the parking and getting in the place. So when I post here, complaining about the cost of the parking, it also comes with the caveat that you don't have a choice, and for that amount of money, the PGA Tour should be doing a better job of getting people in and out of the lot. Last year it took us 2 1/2 hours to go about a mile, waiting to get into the parking lot. But it's a monopoly, because if you want to go to this tournament, you don't have a choice but to pay the parking fee and try and park in the lot.

But like my Miami Dolphins experiences, if you raise the price too high, and there are other options, people (and capitalism) will find other cheaper ways to avoid getting screwed. Folks living around Joe Robbie stadium would sell parking on their lawns for half the price, and people would park there and walk. The Dolphins had to adjust their parking costs because of this.

The Players is unique in that it's a monopoly for the PGA Tour, because they built this course on former swampland that is 10 miles from civilization.

Oh, and I still haven't bought this thing, and the more I read responses here, and consider this whole thing, the more I'm inclined to take advantage of one of my free rounds of golf next Saturday over at Bay Point in Panama City. That's also a 2 hour drive from my house, but parking is free, and so is the golf.

Fighting 30,000 people for a parking spot, and a vantage point to see a Tour pro hit a golf shot is honestly not the highest of my priorities. And yes, watching on TV is always a better option.

Maybe the PGA tour is banging the parking cost in hopes of getting enough money to afford to buy an additional parking area and fix it up so there won't be as much of a hassle in the future. It's a process...

So don't go?

Agreed. Not sure why the animosity against the OP for a legit gripe.

So don't go?

No animosity here, just suggesting that choosing to spend his money elsewhere would help in sending a message to the tour.

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

So don't go?

No animosity here, just suggesting that choosing not to spend his money elsewhere would help in sending a message to the tour.

Posting here sends a bigger message.

you paid $25 apiece for the tickets. Pretend you paid $43.50 a ticket which is still a discount of over 10% and got free parking to boot. Problem solved.

Titleist TSR3 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

you paid $25 apiece for the tickets. Pretend you paid $43.50 a ticket which is still a discount of over 10% and got free parking to boot. Problem solved.

Factor in a hotel room of $81 for Friday night so I don't have to get up at 5:00 am to make the drive, and it's a bit more.

Just discussed this with the wife, and am taking the advice of some here and cancelled my hotel reservation, and am going to spend my money somewhere else. I'm not a big fan of large crowds anyway. I about came to blows with another driver during my 2 1/2 hour wait to get into the Players on Saturday last year. Tim Finchem never responded to my letter I mailed him complaining about the parking situation, so I guess he doesn't care to fix the problem.

There are far too many entertainment options out there to justify paying the PGA Tour any of my hard earned money.

Tim Finchem, you are one greedy, SOB! I would park somewhere off site and walk, but I'm going with my wife, and it's like 5 miles to the nearest ANYTHING from this golf course.

This may very well be my last PGA Tour event I go to because of this. Especially when you consider that The Masters has free parking for everyone, this is just pure, unadulterated GREED!!!

Please don't compare anything about the Players to anything about the Masters. Their prices are not based in reality:

masters-food.jpg

If Finchem read this thread, the only thing he would get out of it is "people are comparing the Players to the Masters... our Fifth Major gimmick thing is getting traction!"

Factor in a hotel room of $81 for Friday night so I don't have to get up at 5:00 am to make the drive, and it's a bit more.

Just discussed this with the wife, and am taking the advice of some here and cancelled my hotel reservation, and am going to spend my money somewhere else. I'm not a big fan of large crowds anyway. I about came to blows with another driver during my 2 1/2 hour wait to get into the Players on Saturday last year. Tim Finchem never responded to my letter I mailed him complaining about the parking situation, so I guess he doesn't care to fix the problem.

There are far too many entertainment options out there to justify paying the PGA Tour any of my hard earned money.

I don't think the tour cares, or should care, about your drive or hotel fees. I think you are picking a battle you cannot win-nor should you. As others have mentioned this is a capitalist society. Prices are what the market will bear. All sports the tickets are based on what people will pay-not as a way to cover expenses.

Titleist TSR3 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

With all due respect, sir, you have the choice of not going. That's the beauty of capitalism. But just because you choose not to go because you think the cost of parking is unreasonable doesnt mean someone else will feel the same. As others and myself have said, its all about the cost of the experience and whether or not the experience is worth what you are paying for it.

Again I say, if a $37 parking ticket is causing you this much grief and trouble, I humbly suggest you dont go. Because its clear that you won't simply enjoy yourself. Despite the fact that, when you include your stated ticket cost, you can spend an entire weekend day at a premier PGA Tour event for roughly $62 plus the cost of a couple of hours of gas.

LOL

"About came to blows with another driver during my 2 1/1 hour wait to get into the Players on Saturday last year"

You dont sound like a person who enjoys much in life, do you? Its a golf tournament. A professional sporting event. Something that is supposed to provide entertainment value, not do something like provide a monetary value return of investment. You make it sound like the PGA Tour should be paying YOU for you even thinking about making your presence at TPC Sawgrass, because your time is just too damn valuable and important.

Geez.

Just discussed this with the wife, and am taking the advice of some here and cancelled my hotel reservation, and am going to spend my money somewhere else. I'm not a big fan of large crowds anyway. I about came to blows with another driver during my 2 1/2 hour wait to get into the Players on Saturday last year. Tim Finchem never responded to my letter I mailed him complaining about the parking situation, so I guess he doesn't care to fix the problem. There are far too many entertainment options out there to justify paying the PGA Tour any of my hard earned money.

Good decision. Your posts here sound highly agitated. When one embarks on an activity with a chip on his shoulder and thinly-contained resentment, the chances are high that it won't be a pleasant experience. I'm rather mystified that you even considered attending again. You're not a fan of large crowds. You were frustrated with the parking delays last year ~ to the point of nearly getting into an altercation. You're infuriated about the parking fee (though it's more than offset by an exceptionally generous military discount). You're bitter that your letter to Tim Finchem went unanswered (because ~ surprise! ~ the commissioner of the PGA Tour doesn't devote a portion of each day to answer snail mail from disgruntled patrons).

Breathe in, breathe out, enjoy that day doing something lovely with *your* wife (not just *the* wife, or any wife). I am sorry about the loss of your son.

Best,

Colleen

Lol. I paid $35 to park my car for less than 2 hours on Saturday night, went to a bar had a few $6 beers, and saw no sporting events. If you want to go where the action is, you've got to pay for it.

That said, the price of sporting events is completely absurd. Even the local minor league team is charging around $35 a ticket to go watch them play. Going to a NFL game with a family is around a $400-500 day now.

And I thought paying £10 at The Open was extortion. Greed.com

The whining and hand-wringing over first-world problems is bemusing. Good grief: anyone fortunate enough to attend a major sporting event is already in a solidly decent position, comparatively speaking. While $37 for parking may at first pale sound like a tidy sum, step back and consider the big picture with regard to this event. It offes a very generous family plan, whereby anyone under age 18 attends free with a ticketed adult. Military discounts are significant, and military appreciation day is notable. Parking is free earlier in the week. Carpooling is encouraged and allows for a free parking pass. So for heck's sake, if a couple of people choose to fork over $37 for parking because they "have no other choice" ~ honestly. Get over it.