2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Confessions 12 --- Exploding Heads

Conrad1953

Always been intrigued by these threads, so I'm going to jump in fairly soon once I'm aware of the general landscape.. most likely weekend nights after a bottle of something strong.. last year of college! :superman:

I think this might be more appropriate actually :russian_roulette:

Welcome aboard the WRX 'short bus'!

This thread goes well with alcohol or THC. Sober is fine too! (Edit: scotee the dentist will tell you whether or not it mixes well with N2O.)

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

Always been intrigued by these threads, so I'm going to jump in fairly soon once I'm aware of the general landscape.. most likely weekend nights after a bottle of something strong.. last year of college! :superman:

Hey Nineteen! Welcome, there's always room for more!

[media=]

[/media]

Perhaps, you could enjoy the thread with some Cuervo Gold or fine Colombian??

Btw, I LOVE the guitar work in this song

Welcome! Others will describe the vibe here better than I, but think of confessions as a relaxed sanctuary, away from the UFC arena that is much of the rest of this site.

Good luck with your studies too!

I'm feeling like an old 37. Would be nice to see the world through the lenses of a young 19 year old.

Here's to the end of a successful school year.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

Anyone out there involved in League play at a club (past or present)?

If so, what are the positives and negatives of league membership?

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

I'm feeling like an old 37. Would be nice to see the world through the lenses of a young 19 year old.

How nice it would be to put my 49 year old mind in my 19 year old body. Lol.

Glad to hear you speak to it as a successful school year. Now, we need to have a successful golf season, my man.

Hey A19...welcome aboard ! This is the place to discuss any issue....this thread may not always be in agreement,but we are NEVER

hostile/negative or insulting about it !

MC....I would be delighted to wake up and find myself back in my 60 year old body !

Sixty......glad you're ok sir...thats good news indeed

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

Glad to hear you speak to it as a successful school year. Now, we need to have a successful golf season, my man.

My year's been largely a poop show. I was raising a glass to Ayoung19's college wrap-up.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

My year's been largely a poop show. I was raising a glass to Ayoung19's college wrap-up.

Lol...well, it seems I have a history of misinterpreting. Let's have a good golf season anyway, sir. ;)

My new avatar was supposed to bounce...but i guess its a dud....lol

I thought you were saluting a Japanese emperor.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

just so theres no confusion....i loaded a new avatar in honor of the Ninja's quest for bounce clarification ! it was a bouncing ball.....

but i couldn't get it to bounce on here.........

Surely a message to all of us.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

just so theres no confusion....i loaded a new avatar in honor of the Ninja's quest for bounce clarification ! it was a bouncing ball.....

LOL I have discovered how little i knew about bounce...it has definetly been a very educational subject ! I was always like Ham....i bought wedges based on how

they looked and felt...never really understood what bounce was...and have to be honest.....i never really cared !

Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

There was mention of Day's driving iron on the previous page. I attempted to carry an 18* driving iron last year (a Wishon 870 ti 3 iron that I had bent and built to my 7 wood length). Low bullets were the result. I simply didn't have the swing speed to elevate the ball, which was a challenge given all of my early morning (wet) rounds. Not bad in dry conditions when I could gain 30 yards of roll, but not ideal. This is coming from a 230 - 250 driver distance.

Hitting a 2 iron over 300 yards boggles my mind. Heck, hitting a driver 300+ yards boggles my mind.

What shaft did you have in it? If you had soft stepped a shaft probably 1x and added maybe 2 grams of lead tape low you would have gotten the height up some

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Scotee Happy Birthday yeah I know I am late but I have been trucking my butt off. Welcome to this extension of mad madness there 19--- I will not not be on much during the week because between trucking and sleeping I am busy. Been pulling 55 to 60 hrs a week yep Rad I feel like a real trucker again!

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

There was mention of Day's driving iron on the previous page. I attempted to carry an 18* driving iron last year (a Wishon 870 ti 3 iron that I had bent and built to my 7 wood length). Low bullets were the result. I simply didn't have the swing speed to elevate the ball, which was a challenge given all of my early morning (wet) rounds. Not bad in dry conditions when I could gain 30 yards of roll, but not ideal. This is coming from a 230 - 250 driver distance.

Hitting a 2 iron over 300 yards boggles my mind. Heck, hitting a driver 300+ yards boggles my mind.

What shaft did you have in it? If you had soft stepped a shaft probably 1x and added maybe 2 grams of lead tape low you would have gotten the height up some

Definitely not a spec issue. A lack of 'PD' issue.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

Apparently Muirfield is in danger of losing it's spot on The Open rota if they continue to block the admission of female members at the club.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/may/17/muirfield-open-golf-royal-and-ancient-women-members

According to a letter from the club membership:

“Change must come slowly and for choice should be evolutionary. A traditional resistance to change is one of the foundations of our unique position in golf and our reputation.”

As an OGA member, far be it for me to compliment the R&A, but it's good to see them finally doing the right thing and taking a stand against sexism in golf. There are plenty of other venues that could fill the void left by Muirfield in any case.

Hey Nineteen! Welcome, there's always room for more!

[media=]

[/media]

Perhaps, you could enjoy the thread with some Cuervo Gold or fine Colombian??

Btw, I LOVE the guitar work in this song

Oh yes to all. I forgot who played the guitar line, but it is so smooth with lots of beautifully timed languid slides, never gets boring, perfect fill. Aja and Gaucho both have some guitar playing that is less over the top mind blowing like their earlier stuff, but it is more refined and less prominent but still mind blowing in the way it is so perfect and good sounding.

LOL I have discovered how little i knew about bounce...it has definetly been a very educational subject ! I was always like Ham....i bought wedges based on how

they looked and felt...never really understood what bounce was...and have to be honest.....i never really cared !

With 6* bounce wedges, you never really need to care about it.

Registered Bladeocrat

I was in a work league for 2 years, a large federal facility so there were a lot of teams and we played a lot - three 9 hole matches each week for 2 months. I can say that's when I reached my lowest hc of 7. I had been playing about 13 years at that point, 5 of them 'seriously'. Just the repetition and the competition forced me to concentrate. I learned most of my understanding of the golf swing during those years. My partner was a lefty and a good ball striker, he was about a 6. We made the playoffs the first year, got first place the second year.

Sorry for blabbing. I loved playing in a league. If nothing else it forces you to get out there and play competitive rounds regularly. My league was a little 'serious' because of the large roster and not many players knew each other. But a local or CC league is bound to be informal and friendly. I would highly recommend if you have the time to commit.

I was in a work league for 2 years, a large federal facility so there were a lot of teams and we played a lot - three 9 hole matches each week for 2 months. I can say that's when I reached my lowest hc of 7. I had been playing about 13 years at that point, 5 of them 'seriously'. Just the repetition and the competition forced me to concentrate. I learned most of my understanding of the golf swing during those years. My partner was a lefty and a good ball striker, he was about a 6. We made the playoffs the first year, got first place the second year.

Sorry for blabbing. I loved playing in a league. If nothing else it forces you to get out there and play competitive rounds regularly. My league was a little 'serious' because of the large roster and not many players knew each other. But a local or CC league is bound to be informal and friendly. I would highly recommend if you have the time to commit.

Thank you for sharing Thug. There are leagues at my home course nearly every night of the week and Saturday mornings. I've been invited to join a few times, as I play so many rounds as a single, but I don't know that I could make this work given my wife's variable schedule.

I have no issues playing as a single, but am thinking of ways to get the competitive juices flowing.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

lol i didn't know the difference between 6* and 14*....so it didn't matter...

Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

LOL all that bounce does is slow the clubhead down and it interferes with the ground.

The "science" in that article is NOT true.

Right.... if your shaft is ahead of the clubhead...

Now, when I'm just off the fringe of the green, in thicker grass, I keep the shaft just as in their pick, so the bounce comes into the ball just as shown... therefore it works just as in the pick...

There must be some other topic to discuss, reminds of one of those songs you just can't get out of your head, which ends up exploding, thus the title of the current thread :)

It is the same issue with high bounce regardless of the shaft lean. When the shaft lean is the SAME (i.e. it is fixed as EQUAL) for both a high and low bounce club, the higher bounce goes SLOWER through ANY substrate AND it interferes with the ground MORE before face contact is made.

If you were to use a low bounce club for that same shot in the thicker grass, you would have more room for error. At the same exact leading edge height, the low bounce club would NOT be touching the ground. You would have a little more room to go lower WITHOUT hitting the bounce to the ground. This is a good thing.

The picture and explanation has the FALSE ASSUMPTION that the bounce causes the clubhead (and shaft and hands and arms) to reroute through SOFT sand. This is completely untrue and it is exactly where your (and others) technical gap is. Both the low and high bounce wedges follow the SAME PATH through the sand. The low bounce wedge just does it with less force and energy. The true physics is NOT like shown in the pic.

This topic is in everybody's head that is posting about it. I'm just responding to my friends that are incorrect in their interpretation of what is happening. My head is far from exploding. I can correct false science for days and pages.

The only issue I've ever had was being mocked for actually trying to better educate you guys on what is really happening and also being taken out of context and having to defend an argument I never made. That's what's frustrating. But if my good friend PeanutsDaddy (or you or anybody else) is going to post something technically false, I will post about it as long as it keeps coming up.

I wasn't talking about sand. By the way what is your favorite beach? That would be an interesting topic. So what course has the nicest beach nearby?

As far as being mocked and being frustrated, I would suggest a nice vacation day and a cool one without educating the world. I used to work with a guy like that, he was always trying to educate people on his knowledge and how they were wrong, and he was right. It was quite comical, but we actually felt sorry for him because he never lightened up and enjoyed life.

I'm glad you aren't like that, plus we all love you, and no one is mocking you here :)

I have been in a league now for 15 years, and was in one in the 80's for several years. Positives are it's competition both individually and from your team standpoint, however it's fun and friendly competition. Like on here, you become golf friends with everyone, so you can share golf equipment ideas, golf stories, highlights of your game etc. You can hit great shots and in a foursome, you have a gallery of three cheer for you, even your competitors, or you can hit lousy shots and have fellow commiserators. You can share knowledge of the game you have learned and make yourself look brilliant (things you have learned from Ninja) or you can learn from others in the league. Negatives, well let's see...if it isn't established and run well, then not everyone knows the league rules, so that's important. For instance some will not 'play it as it lies' even though that's a rule. Some will have a hard time with their shot count ("nuff said")... sometimes there may be a team that takes their position in the rankings (such as first place) way too seriously in a friendly league. Also, I don't run the league, but the guy who does is 72. One of the things that's difficult for him is that the fee for the league as far as players is due at the beginning of the league for half the season, and the remainder at the middle. Seems like he almost has to beg people to get their money in on time on both counts, and he told me there have been times he has had to pay for some players and get the money from them later. So it's important to remember those who take care of the league, the do a lot and get very little credit for their free work. We take up a collection for him at the end of the season, but it's amazing, some will put in a dollar... what the? So there you go, that's a little input

LOL all that bounce does is slow the clubhead down and it interferes with the ground.

The "science" in that article is NOT true.

Right.... if your shaft is ahead of the clubhead...

Now, when I'm just off the fringe of the green, in thicker grass, I keep the shaft just as in their pick, so the bounce comes into the ball just as shown... therefore it works just as in the pick...

There must be some other topic to discuss, reminds of one of those songs you just can't get out of your head, which ends up exploding, thus the title of the current thread :)

It is the same issue with high bounce regardless of the shaft lean. When the shaft lean is the SAME (i.e. it is fixed as EQUAL) for both a high and low bounce club, the higher bounce goes SLOWER through ANY substrate AND it interferes with the ground MORE before face contact is made.

If you were to use a low bounce club for that same shot in the thicker grass, you would have more room for error. At the same exact leading edge height, the low bounce club would NOT be touching the ground. You would have a little more room to go lower WITHOUT hitting the bounce to the ground. This is a good thing.

The picture and explanation has the FALSE ASSUMPTION that the bounce causes the clubhead (and shaft and hands and arms) to reroute through SOFT sand. This is completely untrue and it is exactly where your (and others) technical gap is. Both the low and high bounce wedges follow the SAME PATH through the sand. The low bounce wedge just does it with less force and energy. The true physics is NOT like shown in the pic.

This topic is in everybody's head that is posting about it. I'm just responding to my friends that are incorrect in their interpretation of what is happening. My head is far from exploding. I can correct false science for days and pages.

The only issue I've ever had was being mocked for actually trying to better educate you guys on what is really happening and also being taken out of context and having to defend an argument I never made. That's what's frustrating. But if my good friend PeanutsDaddy (or you or anybody else) is going to post something technically false, I will post about it as long as it keeps coming up.

I wasn't talking about sand. By the way what is your favorite beach? That would be an interesting topic. So what course has the nicest beach nearby?

As far as being mocked and being frustrated, I would suggest a nice vacation day and a cool one without educating the world. I used to work with a guy like that, he was always trying to educate people on his knowledge and how they were wrong, and he was right. It was quite comical, but we actually felt sorry for him because he never lightened up and enjoyed life.

I'm glad you aren't like that, plus we all love you, and no one is mocking you here :)

Rather than suggest I change the topic and/or mock me for it (and yes, you just did), I would suggest that you just ignore my posts. Why not go to your favorite beach instead of posting stuff like this? I work with a guy who is always suggesting what others should do with themselves, but doing it passive aggressively in a mocking way. It is quite comical to watch and I feel sorry for him, thinking that he knows what others should be doing. I've often wondered if he is the same way on internet forums.

You were referring to a pic of a wedge in the sand, so I referred back to it. My other point to you was referring to your shot in thicker grass. I was making two points to you. My first point was about your shot you described. My second point was about the sand and the pic (to which you referred to but then made a point about a thick grass shot...confusing...)

FYI, everything I'm explaining to you about bounce is 100% true. Feel free to ignore it or post what you want. I'm not one to tell you what to do or what to post. All I can do is control my own.

Registered Bladeocrat

lol i didn't know the difference between 6* and 14*....so it didn't matter...

Understood. My point was that you were already playing 6* wedges (I think you posted this)...so it didn't matter that you didn't care. Unbeknownst to you, you were already using the most advantageous wedges (per the science).

I hope my posts have been educational for you. If I posted anything that doesn't make sense, just let me know and I will clear it up.

Registered Bladeocrat