2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Confessions 12 --- Exploding Heads

Conrad1953

Mr Wolf, that place looks awesome. That had to be a cool experience. Thanks for sharing. I wouldn't get too hung up on using an M2. If you like the way it sets up and your hitting that much better, it's no-brainer. Twenty extra yards and I'd get past that real fast. Lol.

The Srixon stuff flies a little under the radar. Cleveland, Srixon, and XXIO are all the same company. They make good stuff. Unfortunately, Srixon doesn't have a lot of iron offerings in lefty. My bro-in-law is good friends with a higher up in the company. I was told next time I was in SoCal to come in for a fitting.

Yeah it was a first class operation. I was like a kid in a sweet shop. The guys there were very friendly and knowledgeable as well.

You're right about the Srixon stuff too. They area huge in Japan and have the Dunlop SRI money behind them so have very deep pockets. Personally I'm not a big fan of the Cleveland wedges due to the rounded leading edge but again they are top drawer in terms of quality.

If you have a chance to test their clubs do it. Not sure if they make the 945's in lefty but I can see you liking them if you're playing 68's. They are a sweet, sweet club.

IMHO when Cleveland quit making the old 588s they quit making wedges and we can thank the almighty all knowing USGA for that. When those wedges became "non conforming" I bought every one I stumbled across CHEAP so I have at least 3 replacement heads for my wedges. Actually I should thank the USGA on that one and as the founder of the OGA I do not give 2 hoots if they were conforming by the USGA's standards now. I still say thy were conforming to their standards on the date of manufacture of course those stuffed shirts at the USGA do not know anything about a 'grandfather clause" Screw em I play what I want because I am Big Stu the founder and president of the OGA

I agree Stu. Everything that is legal when made should forever be legal.

You don't take a legal club and then one day declare it illegal.

That never sat well with me. All these great classic irons rendered illegal.

That is just bunk. I'm proud to be an OGA charter member!!

Which is exactly why I feel no remorse when I'm carrying my Mac custom wedges.

Best wedges I've ever carried. They inspire confidence, shred balls, and look bad arse in the bag as they begin to rust.

I'll be joining you soon when I get home. Now that I have shafts for them

I'm getting excited to give my Mac wedges a go! They're still in the plastic

bags at home, lol, as I don't want them to start rusting just yet.

Wolf,

Obviously a high end fittIng experience with what appears to be high end products. What brands do they offer for the masses?

Happy you enjoyed the outing.

JR Golf has moved to my local area. They carry Wishon, Miura and Alpha products. I'm intrigued by the operation.

A good question PD. I don't want to give the impression that MG only stocks the super high end stuff. They carry most of the major OEM's (TM, Mizuno, Titleist, Callaway etc) as well and the more expensive stuff (Muira, Epon, PXG). They also have a 'brand agnostic' approach to fitting, which I like, so they're not pushing any one manufacturer over another. They are also very happy to work within budget constraints.

That my friend is an honest and correct way to run a golf shop

I saw images of the operation, along with the Miura and PXG irons and thought "this is not a place for the masses." Good to read that there is diversity in the offerings. I don't doubt the quality of the fitting and/or the entire operation. When Modern Golf joined WRX I took the virtual tour of the shop and was impressed with the set-up. I've also read nothing but good reviews.

A story . . .

I needed two trees trimmed in the backyard. I call a few landscaping companies. The first gent arrives in a brand spanking new truck complete with brand spanking new magnetic signs. He hands me a glossy business card that lists his numerous accomplishments. He quotes me a price of $1100 to trim 2 trees and remove the refuse. The second gent arrives in a beat up truck (no signage). He hands me a business card printed on cheap card stock. He quotes me a price of $350 to perform the same task.

I understand the concept that you get what you pay for but the former businessman seemed smug and the later seemed genuine. The former looked like he had never worked a day outside and the latter had that grizzled 'outdoorsy' appearance. I chose the latter and was happy that I did. He returned that afternoon with a crew of two. They were finished in an hour, ground a stump in my yard for free, and removed all of the waste. The gent climbed a tree like a monkey and didn't use a harness.

Random ruminations from a white collar worker who is a blue collar guy at heart.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

Wolf,

Obviously a high end fittIng experience with what appears to be high end products. What brands do they offer for the masses?

JR Golf has moved to my local area. They carry Wishon, Miura and Alpha products. I'm intrigued by the operation.

A good question PD. I don't want to give the impression that MG only stocks the super high end stuff. They carry most of the major OEM's (TM, Mizuno, Titleist, Callaway etc) as well and the more expensive stuff (Muira, Epon, PXG). They also have a 'brand agnostic' approach to fitting, which I like, so they're not pushing any one manufacturer over another. They are also very happy to work within budget constraints.

I saw images of the operation, along with the Miura and PXG irons and thought "this is not a place for the masses." Good to read that there is diversity in the offerings. I don't doubt the quality of the fitting and/or the entire operation. When Modern Golf joined WRX I took the virtual tour of the shop and was impressed with the set-up. I've also read nothing but good reviews.

A story . . .

I needed two trees trimmed in the backyard. I call a few landscaping companies. The first gent arrives in a brand spanking new truck complete with brand spanking new magnetic signs. He hands me a glossy business card that lists his numerous accomplishments. He quotes me a price of $1100 to trim 2 trees and remove the refuse. The second gent arrives in a beat up truck (no signage). He hands me a business card printed on cheap card stock. He quotes me a price of $350 to perform the same task.

I understand the concept that you get what you pay for but the former businessman seemed smug and the later seemed genuine. The former looked like he had never worked a day outside and the latter had that grizzled 'outdoorsy' appearance. I chose the latter and was happy that I did. He returned that afternoon with a crew of two. They were finished in an hour, ground a stump in my yard for free, and removed all of the waste. The gent climbed a tree like a monkey and didn't use a harness.

Random ruminations from a white collar worker who is a blue collar guy at heart.

Wow, that is something. We have had the same experiences with "tree guys".

We've had much wok done and with some pretty big trees, and the prices we

were quoted were all over the board......

One example; we had a 70 foot tall Oak tree in front that we were told was

dead, lol. It didn't look dead. A friend said it may have leaves a few more years

but it needed to come down or someday, in a storm, it may fall on the house!

So, we got quotes ranging from $2K to as low as $450 to remove the tree. We

chose the $450, of course. Easy Peasy, they took it safely down, hauled it all

off and ground the stump. Same thing. Old equipment and guys that had been

around the block for years.

We had them come back later and remove some Pine trees in the back cause

Cobi didn't like pine cones and straw falling in the pool, lol. I was against it at

first cause they were big old growth trees and I liked them but it was a PITA

to keep fishing the droppings out of the pool. I miss those trees though.

I'll gladly take the rednecks with low overhead over the guys with fancy

everything they have to support with high prices.

Wolf,

Interesting too that he said PXG is selling well. I've read that other places. We

all know about price points. We all know too that a pretty large segment of the

golf world is affluent and for whom the PXG prices are pocket change.

After all, ProV1s sell like hotcakes even though they are the highest priced

balls on the market. Marketing WRX!

Rocco aint hurting them either leading the Senior PGA playing a set of PXGs. IMHO that was simply brilliant marketing strategy signing Rocco up because he was famously a non equipment loyalty guy. Remember his DSG ads a few years back saying since he was sponsored by DSG that they sold a variety of equipment he could play any equipment he wanted and he liked that. I remember when he was at Callaway one of the Tour Van guys I know told me that Rocco played basically off the shelf Callaway clubs but they did change his grips from stock signature grips to GP Duo ones. I used to know Rocco back in the day and he always said you can either hit a club or you can't. Yep brilliant on Mr Parsons point signing him

I really like Rocco. It's cool that you know him. I remember he had Callaway

X22 irons in the bag when he had his famous duel with Tiger at the '08 Us Open.

I think he even called them "shovels", LMAO and said he's always played with

shovels.

I remember seeing him on TGC and they had him set up with a wall like on

Big Break and they had him up close and asked what wedge he was using.

He said "my 56, I don't need any more loft than that. It's just a trick shot"

and he was hitting them over the wall one after another while he was talking.

Didn't his last win in the regular tour........he had a hole out from the fairway

in EVERY round! 4 straight rounds with a hole out! That's crazy, haha.

Rad,

I often wonder if some companies price themselves higher to avoid a job and/or take an unsuspecting customer for a ride.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

Rad,

I often wonder if some companies price themselves higher to avoid a job and/or take an unsuspecting customer for a ride.

My goodness, we all seem to be having the same 'tree guy' experiences... when we first bought our place there were two trees growing in the front of the house, like right up against the house. They looked real nice, but I was afraid the roots would eventually grow into the basement. So I had this guy come out (only had the one quote like an idiot) and he charged like 16 million to remove them...he was one of those flashy truck/card type guys... so then just a few years ago I got a different guy, old truck, his wife, she even brought their little kid along cause their business was new, and they were a cute young couple..anyway, he came, and pretty much just climbed up one tree, thinned it out (cut out unnecessary branches) then went out back, and went way up in my giant tulip poplar tree which is about 6 miles high, and took out some dead limbs, and charged a few hundred dollars. amazing.... I've recommended him several times since and everyone has really liked him.

Rad,

The latter I would think. I don't think they would even bother to come out

and give a quote otherwise.

Some of these types do much commercial work/larger jobs and so they

price the small jobs high with the attitude you either pay their price or

they won't bother with you. They come out and give the quotes knowing

there will always be a few that will pay and so it's just a numbers game.

For the redneck guys people like us are their bread and butter. They don't

have an office or anything. Some may have other jobs and just happen to

have the equipment and do something like this as a side business.

There are guys like this all over down here. I knew one guy that had a

backhoe and he would do odd jobs with it for some extra cash. We used

him to dig an area to put our pool and then we found an old retired stone

mason to build us a stone retaining wall.

When we first bought this property we did much tweaking to it. We spent

a pretty good chunk getting everything the way we wanted but we feel

satisfied that we spent far less than we could have. Today, I know it

would easily cost us double or triple what we spent back in 2004/5. The

prices for construction type work and materials has really gone up.

Just read a tweet. Tiger lost a sock in the dryer.

Wait... standby....

He found it.

Phew. Close one there.

Tell me he was doing the children's laundry.......Not his own.

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

Just read a tweet. Tiger lost a sock in the dryer.

Wait... standby....

He found it.

Phew. Close one there.

That'd go 15 pages in Tour talk.

LOL - But but but but.... His hat was blue. And his caddie married a gray ferret. And did you see those pants? And let's be real here - we all know has a twin named Rupert who has a giant berry farm where Jurassic Park iI was filmed.

:smilie_nike:

Are you sure about the ferret?

Wolf, did you find a big place like that intimidating at first? I have

wondered. I once booked a fitting at a large Ping fitting center out

in Athens, GA.

As it turned out I had to cancel because I couldn't make it all the

way out there at the time but I wondered how a fitting might go

depending on whether I brought my A, B or C swing that day, lol.

I would need a fitting that worked for all 3, haha. It seems to me

a proper fitting might take multiple sessions on different days. I

may be overthinking it though.

No I didn't find it intimidating. The guys were very friendly and the fitting bays are kind of private, so there's no big gallery watching you hit or anything. I know what you mean about swings A, B and C though and it's probably why I never went and got it done before - I didn't feel like my swing was consistent enough. It probably only barely qualifies as consistent now. Of course, I hit some shockers whilst we were there, but generally it went OK and I learned a lot about what clubs, and more specifically shaft profile works with my swing. I tend not to load the shaft very hard, so something with a slightly softer profile, worked better for me.

The way I looked at it was, though I'm far from the best player the fitter has worked with, I'm probably also far from the worst and everyone hits bad shots, so there was no concerns on my part about whether my swing would be good enough.

As an interesting aside, John said that they have a lot of the long drive guys going in there to test stuff. He said they are the hardest fittings to do, as after 25 swings the guys are often physically done, so there is a pretty short time window to tinker and get stuff set up right.

Funny "mashed potatoes" type story. I was watching the Irish Open last week on GC. Rory tee's off and some random dude yell's "get in the hole" and immediately someones else sarcastically says "get out of the course" toward the dude who yelled followed by the gallery having a good chuckle LOL.

Haha, I'm glad to hear gallery members are "working the problem", lol. I hope

someone caught the guy on their phone and put up a youtube of him. We gotta

out these guys!!

Yeah, it's getting pretty ridiculous. I've heard all the arguments here on WRX about it. I'm not a fan of it personally. Because it's quiet when someone hits the dumb things yelled really stand out. I'd rather there be constant noise than some random stinky drunk dude trying to be funny.

"Get off the course". Ha ha. I like that one.

I can't stand the moronic shouting personally. I wish the PGA Tour would take action, but they won't. I'm just thankful that by and large, this disease does not seem to have infected the European Tour. What I really can't fathom is that the idiots shouting these things must actually think they're being funny / clever. Just goes to show how stupid some people are.

In their *limited capacity brain* they are writing a page of history. They, or someone else, have their TV on rec. Now they can tell the world "That's ME", I am now a member of the "Elite Popular Group".

Thing is, they would be just as popular if the cameras were pointed at them, while they were bounced off the property. Isn't there a fine (not hefty enough) for disturbing the peace? Maybe "drunken sh%t disturber" is something that plays in your favor in a C.V. ????

But of course, there has to be a follow-up from the Security Guard Brutality Movement. :angry22:

I can understand Freedom of Speech...I get it!

But I don't understand freedom of stupid. :dntknw:

A story . . .

Interesting tale. I tend to believe that you get what you pay for in life, especially with products, but services like that are a little different. Trust is a big factor and the most costly ones aren't always the best.

Here's a great quote I saw today, which is sort of related:

Yeah, that reaction is understandable. I think it's simply a matter of them putting their finest looking hardware on display for gear heads to gawk at when they come in. There's plenty of stuff there for the man on the street and they definitely aren't pushing those high end brands - or at least they didn't with me - as it was pretty clear I was not someone who would be in the target market for such clubs.

He did mention they get a lot of Bay Street lawyers buying their clubs there and intimated that they (and people of a similar ilk) were the ones splurging on the PXG stuff.

A story . . .

Interesting tale. I tend to believe that you get what you pay for in life, especially with products, but services like that are a little different. Trust is a big factor and the most costly ones aren't always the best.

Here's a great quote I saw today, which is sort of related:

LOL that's what I always tell my bosses when they try cut my operating and projects budgets.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

Mr Wolf, that place looks awesome. That had to be a cool experience. Thanks for sharing. I wouldn't get too hung up on using an M2. If you like the way it sets up and your hitting that much better, it's no-brainer. Twenty extra yards and I'd get past that real fast. Lol.

The Srixon stuff flies a little under the radar. Cleveland, Srixon, and XXIO are all the same company. They make good stuff. Unfortunately, Srixon doesn't have a lot of iron offerings in lefty. My bro-in-law is good friends with a higher up in the company. I was told next time I was in SoCal to come in for a fitting.

Yeah it was a first class operation. I was like a kid in a sweet shop. The guys there were very friendly and knowledgeable as well.

You're right about the Srixon stuff too. They area huge in Japan and have the Dunlop SRI money behind them so have very deep pockets. Personally I'm not a big fan of the Cleveland wedges due to the rounded leading edge but again they are top drawer in terms of quality.

If you have a chance to test their clubs do it. Not sure if they make the 945's in lefty but I can see you liking them if you're playing 68's. They are a sweet, sweet club.

IMHO when Cleveland quit making the old 588s they quit making wedges and we can thank the almighty all knowing USGA for that. When those wedges became "non conforming" I bought every one I stumbled across CHEAP so I have at least 3 replacement heads for my wedges. Actually I should thank the USGA on that one and as the founder of the OGA I do not give 2 hoots if they were conforming by the USGA's standards now. I still say thy were conforming to their standards on the date of manufacture of course those stuffed shirts at the USGA do not know anything about a 'grandfather clause" Screw em I play what I want because I am Big Stu the founder and president of the OGA

And yet, when I bought my very first pair of golf shoes, Mizuno ceramic spikes, guaranteed for life, they were banned the following year. I know, now, why they were on sale, and the rep was pushing them as deal of a lifetime. :cheesy:

in Athens, GA.

No you are not overthinking it. When my other buddy had his shop when someone wanted clubs custom fitted for the first time from him he would sit them down and explain it would take at least a couple of seperate fittings to get a good balance for them. Some folks 2 some 3 sessions. Now his regular customers he had the pic pretty down pat and kept merticilous records and if building a new set of clubs several years later he would do at least one new session with them. Now if you had a real practiced eye and the experience he had you can get the general gist with most players as in swing speed and plane with one session. He was also one of the top swing instructors on the beach before he retired so overall he knew his stuff. But yeah IMHO and experience that is the way to do it

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

shovels.

I like Rocco too, and it does seem like he's always talking, which is fine, that's Rocco... I've always figured as he's walking away from the green he's saying something totally non-golf to his caddy with his hands flying, like "yeah, last night, when we ate at that buffet, I think I pulled the trigger way too soon, I mean, I started filling up my plate with the Salisbury steak and corn, then by the time I get to the good stuff, fried chicken and shrimp and things, heck, there's no room to put it, I don't know, I'm gonna practice on that some"... caddy- "yeah, for sure"

Wolf,

A story . . .

That is the type of shop I would love to own and operate someday "not for the masses" My buddy the Miura dealer runs his like that. He does only Miura , Alpha and high end Infiniti clubs. He will throw a set of grips on or do some regular repairs to stock stuff from time to time but he has his customer base. Most of the tourist golfers in general do not know anything about those clubs and most of the local retirees say they are just over priced clubs. IMHO most of these old fart retirees here if they got a set it would be a waste of a good set of heads and shafts

Which is exactly why I feel no remorse when I'm carrying my Mac custom wedges.

Best wedges I've ever carried. They inspire confidence, shred balls, and look bad arse in the bag as they begin to rust.

Unless you're playing in a sanctioned tourney, everything is still legal until 2024. I would think that applying the new groove rule would be a deterrent to growing the membership of many R&A/USGA Golf Courses. i.e., "we only accept members playing conforming gear".

EDIT: For some obscure reason, I'm happy to be TOOLed. Although it's a PITA

shovels.

I like Rocco too, and it does seem like he's always talking, which is fine, that's Rocco... I've always figured as he's walking away from the green he's saying something totally non-golf to his caddy with his hands flying, like "yeah, last night, when we ate at that buffet, I think I pulled the trigger way too soon, I mean, I started filling up my plate with the Salisbury steak and corn, then by the time I get to the good stuff, fried chicken and shrimp and things, heck, there's no room to put it, I don't know, I'm gonna practice on that some"... caddy- "yeah, for sure"

Yep that is Rocco in a nutshell for sure a fun guy. He is always jabbering about something and it is usually funny as heck just like Trevino. I remember one time on the minis we were in Florida and had just finished and was sitting in the club house having a beer in fact I was having a beer with my friends from across the pond. Rocco came in and was excitedly jabbering saying you gotta come outside and see this! I cracked at him she better be good looking and half naked if not naked because it is close to 100* outside and humid as heck. Well he did get up our curosity and we went with fresh cold beers of course. There was this big blonde long haired kid blasting balls over the net with a driver. Come to find out it was John Daly who no one knew who he was yet. I think he was just out of the University of Arkansas at the time and was practicing for the next day's event. That was when he first "turned pro" and was playing mini events. I do not know if Rocco partied or not because he did not run with our bunch. Our bunch was known as "The Party Boys" that may be why he made it to the big show and we did not.

in Athens, GA.

If you have either been burned once, or heard horror stories, overthinking, IMO, is a positive side-effect.

Wolf doesn't say if he bought anything (I think he did***M2***) ?

I read his post a few times, it seems to me that John, with his expert fitter's eye, noticed his unusual AoA, only AFTER handing him a TM, M2.

From what I read, Wolf went in with his current driver....Couldn't John have noticed the flaw with the Titleist driver in hand?

I am biased, of course I noticed the absence of Ping......! LMAO

Our bro, Wolf mentioned in his next post: "I was like a kid in a sweet shop". Isn't that a sure sign that you'll be selling today?

I went in to get my specs ready for the S55, too long before they were available, and I left with a set of i20s and a new G20 driver on order. :rofl:

Mdge-- The rule covers as I understand it recreational play and it is a technicality. Most of the minis have adopted the rule as have the Carolinas Golf Association. That was one of the deciding factors for me not to apply to get my amateur status back and play CGA events in the senior division. Why should I have to purchase new clubs when my irons were legal to the conforming standards for 30 years. My Cleveland wedges were conforming at the time they were made and they were conforming for at least 15 years I know of until bam they no longer conformed. I can send my stuff off to the USGA to be check and certified but I have had them looked at and basically by today's standards the grooves in my wedges 9 and 8 irons are so beat out and hogged out they would be deemed non-conforming because they are not that deep but slightly wider due to repeated hits over the years. I can still stop a ball with them though and as far as that goes no better or worse than with "CC" clubs. From what I understand you can take 3 sets of brand new conforming clubs and have them really tested and some of them will check non conforming. Blade Hunter over on some of the other forums can really enlighten you on this because he had a set on new supposedly conforming Vega irons that did not have a certificate on file on them and some not all of the irons checked non conforming when he had the USGA check them. I do not need all that BS. No one in the groups that I play with give two hoots about grooves or any thing like that. There are enough people in real life including the government trying to regulate enough stuff now I do not need it in my hobby. This is when I drew my line in the sand and started the OGA on here. Screw the USGA and R&A for that matter

Mdge-- The rule covers as I understand it recreational play and it is a technicality. Most of the minis have adopted the rule as have the Carolinas Golf Association. That was one of the deciding factors for me not to apply to get my amateur status back and play CGA events in the senior division. Why should I have to purchase new clubs when my irons were legal to the conforming standards for 30 years. My Cleveland wedges were conforming at the time they were made and they were conforming for at least 15 years I know of until bam they no longer conformed. I can send my stuff off to the USGA to be check and certified but I have had them looked at and basically by today's standards the grooves in my wedges 9 and 8 irons are so beat out and hogged out they would be deemed non-conforming because they are not that deep but slightly wider due to repeated hits over the years. I can still stop a ball with them though and as far as that goes no better or worse than with "CC" clubs. From what I understand you can take 3 sets of brand new conforming clubs and have them really tested and some of them will check non conforming. Blade Hunter over on some of the other forums can really enlighten you on this because he had a set on new supposedly conforming Vega irons that did not have a certificate on file on them and some not all of the irons checked non conforming when he had the USGA check them. I do not need all that BS. No one in the groups that I play with give two hoots about grooves or any thing like that. There are enough people in real life including the government trying to regulate enough stuff now I do not need it in my hobby. This is when I drew my line in the sand and started the OGA on here. Screw the USGA and R&A for that matter

Yeah, and we sure don't need their badges as it's been said (just in case they have any)...

Wolf,

A story . . .

You don't get it....You really don't get it!

We, as suckers clients MUST understand that since we live in a multi-seasons climate, these arsenholes MUST "gouge" us if they are to spend 4 months+ down south. They don't have a choice...It's a matter of survival!

Plus, do you have any idea how much a new truck costs? As far as tools, well, they're rented. :cheesy:

Wolf,

Interesting too that he said PXG is selling well. I've read that other places. We

all know about price points. We all know too that a pretty large segment of the

golf world is affluent and for whom the PXG prices are pocket change.

After all, ProV1s sell like hotcakes even though they are the highest priced

balls on the market. Marketing WRX!

Rocco aint hurting them either leading the Senior PGA playing a set of PXGs. IMHO that was simply brilliant marketing strategy signing Rocco up because he was famously a non equipment loyalty guy. Remember his DSG ads a few years back saying since he was sponsored by DSG that they sold a variety of equipment he could play any equipment he wanted and he liked that. I remember when he was at Callaway one of the Tour Van guys I know told me that Rocco played basically off the shelf Callaway clubs but they did change his grips from stock signature grips to GP Duo ones. I used to know Rocco back in the day and he always said you can either hit a club or you can't. Yep brilliant on Mr Parsons point signing him

shovels.

Didn't his last win in the regular tour........he had a hole out from the fairway

in EVERY round! 4 straight rounds with a hole out! That's crazy, haha.

When I saw him on the minis on and off in the early to mid 80s he played Ping Eye2s or they may have been Karsten 1s I do not remember exactly

Mdg,

Totally valid point.

All I know is that I wasn't going to climb two stories into a tree.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

Stu, sorry to hear about the sound equipment at your Church. Hopefully the insurance company will pull through, it always seems they're trying their absolute best to NOT pay out LOL. However, glad that the lightning induced short didn't cause a fire or something terrible.

Wolf, dude, if I ever step foot in a place like that my head would explode LOL! Thanks for sharing pics, and I say play what you like. Also, as much as TM gets bashed, they do make decent drivers, hell I played the 2009 TM Tour Preferred Irons for the last 5 years of my golfing life. Back to Modern Golf, I would be all giddy seeing that wall of shafts!

Also I'm intrigued by Srixon clubs, I've always been around XXIO out here as our market is heavily Asian, also my favorite ball back in HS was the Tour Special Metal Mix which I think was made by Srixon, those and the Precept EV Extra Spin. Lastly, I read that they will release the 545, and 745 models for us "wrong handers" (Hear that MC lol) Unfortunately the ONE model I wanted (945's) no dice.......

PD, Rad, Sixty, I agree on your takes on services. I'd much rather pay for the actual work than all the fancy equipment and badging.

TOOL'ed

When you are on the first tee, you are always at even par, that's why some people don't play at all, and they still beat you...

There is no golf rule requiring a rough, mowers just think it's funny...

Old Tom Morris' dad, Even More Older Tom Morris didn't play golf

Bunkers should never be around the green, by then you've suffered enough...

'Play it as it lies' is a term in golf originally used for sex...

Before birds got wise to the game, many good shots were named for killing them

A Mulligan should only be used when a golfer

Sorry, let me have another shot at that... there should be no such thing as a Mulligan...

LOL Sixty I have played some real goat farms in the past and you could not tell the rough from the fairway due to either no grass or wild natural grass cut to the same height no defining lines

Stu, sorry to hear about the sound equipment at your Church. Hopefully the insurance company will pull through, it always seems they're trying their absolute best to NOT pay out LOL. However, glad that the lightning induced short didn't cause a fire or something terrible.

Wolf, dude, if I ever step foot in a place like that my head would explode LOL! Thanks for sharing pics, and I say play what you like. Also, as much as TM gets bashed, they do make decent drivers, hell I played the 2009 TM Tour Preferred Irons for the last 5 years of my golfing life. Back to Modern Golf, I would be all giddy seeing that wall of shafts!

Also I'm intrigued by Srixon clubs, I've always been around XXIO out here as our market is heavily Asian, also my favorite ball back in HS was the Tour Special Metal Mix which I think was made by Srixon, those and the Precept EV Extra Spin. Lastly, I read that they will release the 545, and 745 models for us "wrong handers" (Hear that MC lol) Unfortunately the ONE model I wanted (945's) no dice.......

PD, Rad, Sixty, I agree on your takes on services. I'd much rather pay for the actual work than all the fancy equipment and badging.

TOOL'ed

Thanks Hammer. I agree Srixon makes some good stuff. I have been playing the Srixon Soft Feel balls for about a year now on and off. I also like the Q Star and Z Star balls too. Back in the day I also liked the Precept U-Tri Pro or something like that. I got bunch of those free on a deal when we had the golf shop. I recently found 6 brand new ones in sleeves in my front closet. Actually played 9 holes with one last week. They were a pretty good ball in the day still are IMHO. The Srixon soft feels are a great ball for the money and the price and performance can not be beat for us older slower swingers $19.95 a dozen at any of the big box golf stores or the independant one up the street. Even Wally World carries them. Actually now they are cheaper than used grade A Pro V 1s at the flea market and they are brand new. I also have come to like the Precept Laddie balls too (the mark of a certified old fart heck I don't care)

Stu - hoping after all you've been through with lightning strikes that tropical storm Bonnie moves in and out as gently and possible.

I agree a single visit to a fitter is about like taking one golf lesson versus a series. I've found it to be no easy trick to get a clear idea of 'specs' in a one hour session with a guy working from a brand name cart. As Stu says - that may only be possible when the fitter is supremely expert and/or knows his client very well. And also for me - the best fittings and only fittings I had growing up came form instructors.

OGA - Glad we don't need any stink'n badges! Would be my luck to leave one in my hip pocket and end up cracking my arse and putting a hole in it. :derisive:

Another OGA card I'll be playing for the next few months.... too many clubs in the bag.

Having recently become yet another MacGregor convert... The longer irons are giving me juice I haven't seen in twenty years. Might have to bag too many clubs for some figuring-out and field testing. Dang - those puppies can sure fly that rock!

And Stu I don't know if that Q Hollow incident involved a member or not. Its entirely possible. The angry guy would make made two of the little beer fart dude screamer. Would have been worth the price of admission to see the promise to deliver some serious pain actually followed through - but the little beer-farter got the hint despite his blood-alcohol levels.