2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Confessions 12 --- Exploding Heads

Conrad1953

Equipment. I love it! And great posts everyone.

I'm not much of a tinkerer, not because I don't care to tinker, but because I'm on an island (selection), I'm left handed (selection), and money (none lol). Even when I was working a day job and gigging almost every night I still couldn't really afford to buy clubs. So I played what I had, but what I did have was carefully selected to a degree. Now, before I had my life hiccup my game was getting to the point where I needed to upgrade.

Irons:

So I ordered my current set of 714's, I figured they would take a while to come and I'd pay them off slowly. That's what I did. My old set where good clubs, but I hit them extremely high, and I always fought a draw with them. So, I order MB's because I LOVE the way a mb frames the ball, they feel amazing, I can work them all ways easier, they don't fly as high for me naturally ( I still hit everything high) and distance is very predictable. With my old CB's sometimes I would find the super sweet spot and hit one an absolute mile LOL.

Driver:

This is probably the club that has been changed the most. Trial and error. The last driver that was in my bag was a Titleist 913 D3 9.5*. It's a great driver, kinda middle of the road in all categories. However I probably need a lower launching shaft for it, and I'll eventually get one for it. I'll never sell that driver, it's a sure thing. However, since I've been on WRX for a while I had the itch to get something different. I never knew about "low spin" heads before. I'm a high spin, somewhat higher SS player so it should work for me. That's why I bought the Callaway 815 DBD in 9* (low spin version). I love the bulbous head shape with a deep face, my Titleist was more pancake shaped. I haven't hit it yet, but it inspires confidence and I'm sure we'll get along nicely. When I'm driving the ball well it makes golf a lot easier, I honestly think if I can get my driving to be very consistent that will put over the hump and on to the next level.

Wedges:

I have Nike Vr Forged wedges. 52, 56, 60. I like having 4 wedges (including PW) as I have a lot of wedges for approach shots (passive brag :D ) Seriously though I think it's more a product of my "old" swing where I take the same long backswing and control my speed. Now that I can control my backswing length I might not need 4 wedges, who knows. Not much thought went into these, I walked into the local golf shop to buy a sleeve of balls and saw these. Left handed clubs don't come around often here so I bought them. LOL That's my wedge story :) lame I know.

3 wood:

This one is new, I've never really had a 3 wood in the bag. Maybe back in my 6 month junior golf stint, but I've never had one since. It'll be interesting to see how it changes my game. I settled on the Callaway XR Pro 14* 3 wood, first order of business is change the stock shaft, it's too light, and it has too much flex. My main use for the 3 wood will be off the tee, that's why I choose 14*. There aren't many Par 5's that I need a wood to reach unless it's 570+ then I'll even question if I really need to attempt to reach that green in 2 anyway. So the shaft search is on, and I'm excited to see how this club with work for me.

Putter:

I have a very small collection, but what I've noticed is I don't switch. All of my old putters are my old putters. I keep them around just in case, but I don't like to switch putters unless I'm making a big change. That being said I used to always play an Anser type putter, started really struggling with 8 feet and in. I couldn't aim properly, so I tried a face balanced mallet type and bingo. So for a while I was using the Odyssey White Hot XG #7, I love that cheapo putter LOL! And it's in the bag, however WRX got the best of my again and a year and half ago I ordered an Odyssey Works V-Line, it's a mallet, it's face balanced, and it has that big "T" alignment aid which for some reason works with the way my eyes see things. I'll test it once I get to play golf again, if it makes putts it's in, if not trusty $40 #7 is back in the bag.

I play my putters at 33", I have some waist bent, not Michelle Wie waist bend, but I like my chest to point near the ball for some reason. Arms relaxed, tried the straighter arms thing and I sucked royally LOL

So, I'm actually very happy with my bag, it's basically brand new besides the wedges. I am set on getting a heavier shaft for both the driver and 3 wood, I'll also probably cut them down 3/4" because they're both longer than "standard". That's why I want a heavier shaft to make up some of the weight lost from the trim. I would like the driver shaft to play around 78-80 installed, and fairway to play 90-95 installed. The somewhat heavier weight helps with my timing and speed.

Good morning... confession, well first of all, just starting my morning coffee after my buffet of ep. meds... It's so nice to get up and read on here about various clubs and golf balls (dang these pills make me feel drunk) so anyway, right now I'm really liking my Ping G driver, and my Snell ball, however it's a treat to hear about what everyone else uses and why. This is the best thread for that hands down. Oh, yeah, what was my confession.. I was gonna say I really would love to go out and play a bit with a set of blades and a different ball just to see what else is out there in the world. It's fun to read about what you guys discuss and your reasons. Not that I don't like what I use, it's just I believe that your passion is real and that makes it so worth reading. And I know to some that Ping (like my setup) may be just an improvement type set up (wow playing 50 years and still need a forgiving set of irons?) but they probably work best for my style of game. The Snell ball though, wow, hope you do give it a try some time. Your posts about your equipment and equipment knowledge... love 'em...

Glad to see you up and kicking this morning---- I may be up on another site to test the Snell ball do not know for sure yet. Experimentation with equipment is part of my fun and engineering or redoing equipment is also in my fun. A lot of folks swing tinker but I don't much. I was like that when I was racing too I did a lot of R&D of set ups components and tires and like golf did a lot of R&D for others also. I guess I always rolled that way I was the kid that took things apart to see how they worked. My Dad was not mechanically inclined at all but I had two uncles that were. A guy my dad knew had a junkyard and he always gave me stuff to take apart and attempt to put back together. We had equipment at the golf course and of course my grand dad was a tobacco farmer. I guess that is why I roll as I do

I have a question Stu. I know you were sent those Renegar wedges to review.

I'm sitting here thinking of all the wedges that are out there and virtually every

one you can grind to your liking.

So what really is the difference with all these wedges? What makes a golfer

prefer a Vokey over a Cleveland over a Renegar over a Hopkins and on and on.

They all seem pretty much the same to me.

Anyone can answer. Please feel free haha. I just don't get it myself.

For me personally it is the feel and how it sits at address. Also again for me it is the versitility of what I can do with it in different situations. For a short while I was partially a Vokey fan especially the old 252 series. To me at address they looked like an old Macgregor. I think they are using different metals and processes these days because none of the newer wedges have that certain feel for me. To me it is like they have "no soul" so to speak. The Renegar wedges were forged and had a great feel but the only one I could really get the weight right on was the 56. The sole design on those was impressive but they were not as versitile for me. The Hopkins was a total different animal they were lighter and had some funky sole grinds that worked good in some situations and not so good in others. I will give you an example. 2 weeks ago playing in a scramble this course has a lot of waste bunkers. On this one hole one of my partners drove it up the neck to a waste bunker 25 yards from the green I could not get that Hopkins 58 out of that bunker for crap. I knew in the back of my mind the old 588 would have done it. I actually went back after the event was over and could not get it out with the 58 or 56 Hopkins with 10 tries. That was when I made my decision to quit screwing around and put the old 588s back in my bag. The next week I was playing with the "Miura Mafia" gang and playing from the senior tees. From there I can hit it up in the neck as we call it if I tag it. I did and was in the same spot. Took the old 588 60* and out it came and stopped 3 feet from the pin. My buddy the Miura dealer had set those heads up for me a few years back and he told me he was glad I quit screwing around and put them back in the bag

For me over the years I have always been a wedge ho and love to experiment but when the money was on the line I had my tried and true ones. For years I carried the same Spalding Elite 10 iron and old Wilson R-90 (55*) until I wore them concave. I discovered Cleveland and got my first 588s in the mid 80s. Basically have been a Cleveland man since I think over the years this is my 3rd or 4th set of 588 heads. Now for some reason when the groove thing came out I tried the new conforming 588s and even with my weight mods they never have felt the same to me different metal and processes. Trust me I have at least 2 of each head like mine as spares and always look for more at the thrifts, used bins at the stores and of course on the scrap pile at work. Really the only newer wedges I liked the stock feel in were the Scratch wedges but then again only the 60* In fact I liked the grind on the JLM-EGG so much I copied and ground my 588 60* to match. Like I said in a nutshell it is all about feel for me and the amount of different shots I can hit with them under pressure without thinking too much about it

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

That is an outstanding summation of your equipment thinking and what you

have found works best for you. That is such a huge thing to have accomplished.

Being able to just go out and simply play, knowing you have that level of

confidence with every club in your bag is awesome. What a great journey this

game is!

Thanks and yes it is a good place to be to not have any bag doubts. The bag is a golf variable which, aside from cost, a golfer has almost complete control over, so really you can easily remedy a club issue. And for me I cannot emphasize enough how helpful it has been to evaluate the science of golf to every level within my technical bandwith to do so. Out of everything in my own journey, it has been to finally rely completely on my own technical judgement rather than industry "conventional wisdom" where my path became straighter and much less confusing. I have learned and am still learning how to derive my own best golf, and for the last couple of years I have realized that having a detailed technical foundation is an asset. It also has really helped me to even express it and write it out and confess it to all you guys. It helps 'crystallize' my own understanding. And also seeing others' journeys and perspectives is also tremendously helpful.

I have always relied on my two judgements of sight and feel mostly feel. And you are 110% correct on the point of taking a bag to the course that you have fitted your self and have confidence in every club. You and I have always thought alike on technical terms but by different means. In my own way I know why stuff works or does not work usually. When you explain something with solid science or physics it makes the light bulb go off in my head and gives me a total different perspective. Right now over in the classics forum I am watching two of the regulars that are backyard engineering a set of constant length irons and a hybrid. I know both of those guys and they are both backyard tinkerers and redneck engineers even though they are from California. It is really an interesting read from a redneck engineer standpoint and IMHO with their brains and research I really think they will pull it off. You ought to check it out yourself and add some insight to the project. Both are great guys and would not mind any insight at all

Hammer, I used to have a big stall flip. Shortening my swing has set in with my wedges and I'm learning distance control again. If I keep my hips rotating and "let the face get there when it gets there" I have much more face control but the touch I had before with the flip isn't quite there. I tend to move the ball around and adjust face and stance depending on the shot. In fact, I often controlled distance this way. Sometimes, a shorter shot, for example, would call for a more open face and move it forward. It will often come out higher and shorter unless I accelerate hard then it comes out low with a butt load of spin. Anyway, you may find with a shorter swing you'll have to learn distance control again.

I've been playing around with my old Callaway wedges. I may go back to a 46* pw, 51*gw, 56sw, and a 60*. They're old x forged illegal grooves. Patinaed? Nicely. Maybe take a drill bit to the grooves and sharpen them a little. They're already illegal....who gives a rats butt. Lol.

I demoed the new Callaway wedges. I liked them but not going to buy new ones. My Clevelands aren't that old. Funny thing about equipment, every time I demo something I always find something Callaway that I like. Still thinking about the new apex forged and apex pro forged. Lol

Hammer, I used to have a big stall flip. Shortening my swing has set in with my wedges and I'm learning distance control again. If I keep my hips rotating and "let the face get there when it gets there" I have much more face control but the touch I had before with the flip isn't quite there. I tend to move the ball around and adjust face and stance depending on the shot. In fact, I often controlled distance this way. Sometimes, a shorter shot, for example, would call for a more open face and move it forward. It will often come out higher and shorter unless I accelerate hard then it comes out low with a butt load of spin. Anyway, you may find with a shorter swing you'll have to learn distance control again.

I've been playing around with my old Callaway wedges. I may go back to a 46* pw, 51*gw, 56sw, and a 60*. They're old x forged illegal grooves. Patinaed? Nicely. Maybe take a drill bit to the grooves and sharpen them a little. They're already illegal....who gives a rats butt. Lol.

I demoed the new Callaway wedges. I liked them but not going to buy new ones. My Clevelands aren't that old. Funny thing about equipment, every time I demo something I always find something Callaway that I like. Still thinking about the new apex forged and apex pro forged. Lol

MC, excellent insight. I feel like we have similar swings somewhat, and coincidentally we're also left handed weirdos LOL :D So my quest for "shortening" my swing has lead to the driver stopping at exactly parallel, and the irons stopping just past my shoulders. Considering I used to see the clubhead in perifs when getting to the top of my swing thats pretty good. I've always had a full shoulder turn but I did let my arms run a little at the top. I've stopped the arm overrun by about 98%. I can now swing at different lengths too, which as you just stated will take some adjustments. But I'm excited to now have even more shots in my repertoire. And my swing feels more "solid, rotational and connected" as opposed to "jello-y, lazy" like before

Lastly, those Cally wedges your referring to, are they the X-forged in "vintage" finish? I had one of those wedges and it was straight $$$$$$ . I was looking at getting some new Cally forged wedges, CPO has some killer deals on the previous model (MD2?) spanking new for like $40-50. Not too shabby considering they were like 130 new. Anyway, I'm extremely happy with my Nike wedges, they're a nice simple shape, simple sole grind, and heavy. Me likey

Hey, I haven't been around cause I have been playing a lot of freaking golf.

So, here's an update on those Pursuit 510 MBs, I played Wed - today with them. Wed was pure doodoo, the wind was blowing and the girls were pushing the needle with the distraction factor and I had left my 5i and 9i at home leaning against the living room wall. Thurs was better with just the girl, and then Fri started to get it together. For no particular reason I developed a good tempo over the 4 days. No drill or anything, just got a feel for moving the club easily from the top and getting into position and then hitting at the bottom. Basically, not rushing but still accelerating.

So I shot an 81 today, 40/41 6 pars 1 birdie 1 double. The winds was 10 - 30, and the course was setup for next weeks LPGA event - waist deep fescue, thick rough, and fast greens, so I'm happy. Driver was good, short game can't complain, and irons were..see below. Being able to execute swings with a good sequence/tempo enabled me a lot. I wonder if the Pursuit irons actually helped me with that.

Overall, I found that they are finicky. Over the last 4 days, I hit a lot of shots that weren't perfect contact, but 'OK', and they would come up significantly short. Or maybe just a bit of a flip, and again, short. But, I also hit a lot of beautiful center strike shots that went the expected distance. And today, using the good tempo I developed over 4 days, I got a bunch of them.

So, my analysis is that you really have to be in the center with these. Their faces are larger than the FGs, and the muscle is flatter and more distributed evenly from heel to toe, so that kind of spreads the weight. The muscle on my FGs is much more compact and concentrated low and slightly toe-ward of the sweet spot. Are the Pursuits more finicky because their muscle is almost flat on the back of the club? I almost feel like the FGs are more forgiving compared with these. I always hit some off center shots with the FGs and get surprised at the accpetableness of the results. These Pursuits are actually more squirrely, if you don't strike it really well the ball goes nowhere. And, they most definitely respond to face/path input. The last two days when I got my sh!t together I hit some nice draw/fade on command shots with them.

I will probably play these another few rounds and then put my babies back in the bag. They might actually feel like GI compared with the Pursuits.

From what I am reading from you it seems like the Pursuit irons have a sweet spot the size of a dime sorta like the old Ram Tour Grinds. Those type clubs do not forgive at all. By the pics you posted before and from what you are saying about the muscle back that head is what is called a neutral head in other words all the weight is almost evenly distributed. Actually in some cases especially for a guy like me it leaves some tweaking room as far as jacking with the weight distribution. Very Interesting!

I played them again today, 5 days of golf in a row! And still playing well. Driver, 3w, and 2h were all working. The Pursuits confirmed my first assessment. Some really nice shots with expected distance, and some slightly off center or mis-timed shots that came up short.

I know what you mean about the difference in feel between the Pursuits and the FG's Thug. I'm amazed at how different the Mac's and FG's feel. You (and Stu) are correct that the former feel 'harder' (for lack of a better explanation).

I took the Mac and Wishon 575 9 and 7 irons to the range today and it isn't even close. The Wishon's feel softer and more dense than the Macs. Not that I dislike the Mac's at all, they just feel 'clickier'.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

I know what you mean about the difference in feel between the Pursuits and the FG's Thug. I'm amazed at how different the Mac's and FG's feel. You (and Stu) are correct that the former feel 'harder' (for lack of a better explanation).

I took the Mac and Wishon 575 9 and 7 irons to the range today and it isn't even close. The Wishon's feel softer and more dense than the Macs. Not that I dislike the Mac's at all, they just feel 'clickier'.

The CBs in the Mac set feel wonderful; the blades meh, lol.....but that could

just be me haha.

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

just be me haha.

I do not disagree with that assessment. I too think the CB's feel better. I just wish the CB's blended a wee bit better with the MB's. The difference in offset and topline thickness is substantially greater. Not stating they're ugly by any means.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

That is an outstanding summation of your equipment thinking and what you

have found works best for you. That is such a huge thing to have accomplished.

Being able to just go out and simply play, knowing you have that level of

confidence with every club in your bag is awesome. What a great journey this

game is!

Thanks and yes it is a good place to be to not have any bag doubts. The bag is a golf variable which, aside from cost, a golfer has almost complete control over, so really you can easily remedy a club issue. And for me I cannot emphasize enough how helpful it has been to evaluate the science of golf to every level within my technical bandwith to do so. Out of everything in my own journey, it has been to finally rely completely on my own technical judgement rather than industry "conventional wisdom" where my path became straighter and much less confusing. I have learned and am still learning how to derive my own best golf, and for the last couple of years I have realized that having a detailed technical foundation is an asset. It also has really helped me to even express it and write it out and confess it to all you guys. It helps 'crystallize' my own understanding. And also seeing others' journeys and perspectives is also tremendously helpful.

I have always relied on my two judgements of sight and feel mostly feel. And you are 110% correct on the point of taking a bag to the course that you have fitted your self and have confidence in every club. You and I have always thought alike on technical terms but by different means. In my own way I know why stuff works or does not work usually. When you explain something with solid science or physics it makes the light bulb go off in my head and gives me a total different perspective. Right now over in the classics forum I am watching two of the regulars that are backyard engineering a set of constant length irons and a hybrid. I know both of those guys and they are both backyard tinkerers and redneck engineers even though they are from California. It is really an interesting read from a redneck engineer standpoint and IMHO with their brains and research I really think they will pull it off. You ought to check it out yourself and add some insight to the project. Both are great guys and would not mind any insight at all

GrandMaster STU-bah, I am so glad that I am technically aligned with a player of your caliber and experience. Your independent but similar understanding of the game technically has given me A LOT of confidence in my science and all things in golf that I have derived from it. I also truly appreciate and learn so much from seeing your perspective.

I have always viewed the game as the analogy that we each own our own little swing "mine" or "cave" and we are forever trying to keep it brightly lit up. It is a unique mine, both natural to our own selves and dually carved by it by our experience and learning of the game. From it we have found precious ores of knowledge to better our games and swings. We have also stumbled into darkness and danger and wandered aimlessly in it too. We have our own personal mines and they can be lonely places, but, through threads like this, we can get a glimpse and take a tour of each others'. And realizing that there are some similarities between ours, and also that we have found the same precious "ores", is comforting and makes me feel less alone in this carney game we play.

I will try to check out that thread but honestly I don't meddle too much in technical threads other than these Confessions ones and the Blade users thread.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

The pursuits definitely feel harder or firmer. It almost feels like the ball spends less time on the face. But when I smooth one, I still get the butter.

I still wonder if these irons helped me develop a real awareness of tempo. The last three days, I could really control my downswing tempo/sequence. Good timing/tempo is a hard thing to execute because the brain has to incorporate the variability of time. These past few days I didn't shoot my lowest scores, but I think my brain has finally assigned a few million neurons to awareness of swing tempo. I am just pulling the club back to the top and not obsessing over the position, and then just beginning the first 1/3 of the swing slowly, and the accelerating at the bottom. I feel like I am actually more aware from millisecond to millisecond what the club is doing. I am surprised that I was able to do this 3 days in a row. I hope this awareness has been imprinted.

just be me haha.

I do not disagree with that assessment. I too think the CB's feel better. I just wish the CB's blended a wee bit better with the MB's. The difference in offset and topline thickness is substantially greater. Not stating they're ugly by any means.

I actually was surprised by the amount of offset in the blades and the

not so thin top line. I can see why blade connoisseurs like Thug and Ninja

may not like them much. I think my Ping S58s and i20s have less offset

though it's just a visual assessment as I didn't look it up.

SLED Gemini

Thug,

I hope the feelings you've captured are long lasting. My challenge at present is that I'm not playing frequently enough to carry that 'feeling' from one round/session to the next. I go through stretches of a round/range session where I feel unbelievably connected and in sync and then there are those other times when I feel out of sorts.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

UFO?

Or as I say,

Ooo-foh

[media=]http://youtu.be/6FU6oDA9cfU[/media]

Is that you Q?

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

just be me haha.

Less offset is ALWAYS technically better. From a technical perspective, when you twist an offset face, it literally moves the CG a farther distance than the less offset face when given the same twist. Imagine a baseball bat with the fat part offset from the handle part. Now imagine twisting the handle. The fat part of bat literally moves up and down more in space as compared to a bat with zero offset. The same thing is happening with an offset club.

Also the offset club has its CG more offline from the shaft line. This will cause the club to bend MORE from centripetal forces which introduces more variability (and a closed clubface tendency).

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

just be me haha.

Less offset is ALWAYS technically better. From a technical perspective, when you twist an offset face, it literally moves the CG a farther distance than the less offset face when given the same twist. Imagine a baseball bat with the fat part offset from the handle part. Now imagine twisting the handle. The fat part of bat literally moves up and down more in space as compared to a bat with zero offset. The same thing is happening with an offset club.

Also the offset club has its CG more offline from the shaft line. This will cause the club to bend MORE from centripetal forces which introduces more variability (and a closed clubface tendency).

I am not a fan of offset. You wouldn't like it but I would like CBs with little

to no offset. My Ping i20s have very little offset up to 7i and it really isn't

noticeable but from 6i on up it gets ugly.

In my world I world love the offset of your baby blades in a compact CB

head. My S58s come closest so far but I do like the forged feel of the Mac

CBs over the feel of my S58s......but that could be the shaft. Those Rifle

Flighted FCM 5.0s are very soft feeling shafts to me....maybe too soft for

my swing though I'm not a fast swinger.

SLED Gemini

Thug,

I hope the feelings you've captured are long lasting. My challenge at present is that I'm not playing frequently enough to carry that 'feeling' from one round/session to the next. I go through stretches of a round/range session where I feel unbelievably connected and in sync and then there are those other times when I feel out of sorts.

Long lasting...there's the key. I've gone through a bunch of epiphanies before, but they have been learning fundamental stuff. This one is very subtle and elusive, but I think I have good mind/muscle memory of it, so this one is going in the bag.

Thug I wanted to express some alignment with you here. Just a week or two ago I expressed (not directed at you by any means) the value of changing directions in a way that gives the golfer just a fraction more time. Afterward I read what amounted essentially to an opposing view - which is absolutely fine as we all have our individuality here. No prob!

But what you're saying - giving acceleration a good "go" but doing so increasingly through the strike and making a nice easy transition occur. - all of those ways you're expressing it - I just wanted to cast a supporting vote. I really don't think that was a passing fluke whatsoever. Call it a pause at the top or call it a gentle transition with no pause - I couldn't care less how each of us defines it or does precisely. The only thing I see as deeply important is that a golfer find a way to allow himself an extra and fractional bit of time to change directions and then let his swing speed gather. Doing so just lets the shaft and arm flow work together with less conflict and manipulations. It allows a greater opportunity for the wrists to unhinge as a result of the gathering momentum rather than flinching, casting, re-gripping with the hands, and all those not-so-good things that can happen when that little spec of time is missing. I've read an instructor's take on it (one I respect) who suggests we actually ease a bit going into the change of directions - or said differently - he suggests we sort of put on the brakes and slow down as we are finishing up the backswing and about to change directions. OK - that one works, too. Its all getting at the same issue.

Just wanted to weigh-in in support of what you're expressing. It's not a one-bucket (or one round) wonder in my book. It "could" have been birthed in the clubs you were swinging at the time. It may be that urged you to take extra measures to search for a relaxed and solid contact mechanism. I dunno. Like you - I can sometimes find something out there and wonder if it was some drill I've been using finally sinking in - or was it a shaft change - or just dumb luck that a little break-through seemed to happen. All I know is that some things are real "keepers" and yours appears to be to not get too hung up on much more for a good while other than letting that smoother transition and deliberate acceleration thing run the show for a while. It's a really good plan in my book. I'm in your corner on that one.

just be me haha.

I have the same shafts as Rad - but mine are 6.0. I like'm. Would love out of curiosity to swing the 5.5's but they're tending to go where I'm looking

LOL - Anyone recall me recently "polling" this group about how each of you experiences shaft loading and unloading? I was fishing to be honest. The 6.0 shafts feel a bit different to me but I'm liking what I see results-wise. I added a full 1" to those shafts and was a little tensed up about swinging a little stiffer and longer shaft...but it turned out well for me in this case. Glad I did it.

As to the metal being a bit softer. Bag chatter on them far out numbered any dings on the faces and soles. That told me before playing them the previous owner didn't play them much but probably tossed them around a little recklessly - And more to the point here - they're likely a bit soft. LOL - to which yours truly has them all wearing rubbers!

Offset - Less is more in my world but I've played sticks with more and played sticks with less. Managed to get used to either. If there are arguments on either side - such is golf. I'm good with what the Macs serve up on that front.

The cbs are "muscled" where it counts with soles no wider than about two pencils. The mbs transition rather smoothly in my hands but I don't have an extensive history with mbs so what do I know? LOL. All I have say is that if I were selecting the club for a shot... I'd grab the stick for the shot without any true anticipation of a monster feedback delta between the 6 or 7 irons where the cbs end and mbs begin.

There is one thing I hate. They aren't made anymore. That is tragic. These are some nice clubs. Would be great to get a little farther down this path and one day try me out some Miuras, Wishons, Wilsons, and all sorts of clubs. For now - the Macs and their little neoprene rubbers are going for a ride for the foreseeable future. Having fun with them and the whole goal was to experiment a little with how I experience golf. These are helping me do just that.

Alight guys, so I snuck up to Aunts house, my Mother and Grandmother absolutely insisted I go. It was my Birthday yesterday, third one "stuck in the house" LOL So I confess I broke the rules. BUT I got to see my Nieces and Nephews :) Oh my word are they all growing up so fast! Anyway, the house has a pretty darn big yard so naturally I brought a few clubs and my bag of foam balls. My first full swings with unimpeded foam ball flight, about the closest thing I've had to real golf in 2 years. It was great!!! I must have been out there for 3-4 hours LOL, and my oldest niece Isabella is really really interested in golf and she's a lefty too! :D I couldn't be happier, she has great hand eye coordination and hit some pretty good shots. I'm gonna get my old irons cut down a bit for her and let her have them, hopefully she develops a passion for the game, I'll try my best to feed the fire.

LOL that is correct you are a member of the OGA so play what you want! Those old x forged are LEGAL in OGA play! Sounds like you have developed your feel for Callaway absolutely nothing wrong with that. The older x forged Callaway wedges have a pretty good feel too and for me there is just something about the feel of a rusty wedge. I know our course was selling Cally stuff for a little while. While Roger Cleveland may have designed the Mack Daddy wedges they are nothing like the old ones. The PM ones were hideous and like I told one of the assistants If I wanted a Ping wedge I would buy one from Ping. I know "get off my lawn"

The pursuits definitely feel harder or firmer. It almost feels like the ball spends less time on the face. But when I smooth one, I still get the butter.

I still wonder if these irons helped me develop a real awareness of tempo. The last three days, I could really control my downswing tempo/sequence. Good timing/tempo is a hard thing to execute because the brain has to incorporate the variability of time. These past few days I didn't shoot my lowest scores, but I think my brain has finally assigned a few million neurons to awareness of swing tempo. I am just pulling the club back to the top and not obsessing over the position, and then just beginning the first 1/3 of the swing slowly, and the accelerating at the bottom. I feel like I am actually more aware from millisecond to millisecond what the club is doing. I am surprised that I was able to do this 3 days in a row. I hope this awareness has been imprinted.

Thug remember this different heads react differently with different shafts. Those heads with those shafts sounds like you have to wait on them a micro second which in your case may be good. Sounds like you are developeing a good sense of feel. Actually I like the thought of you not having any worries of where the club is going back and you have figured out how to time it up. You were able to do this 3 days in a row sounds like you are imprinting it to me.

UFO?

Or as I say,

Ooo-foh

[media=]http://youtu.be/6FU6oDA9cfU[/media]

"Wtf is that?"

Rofl.

Was this near a golf course? If it was my worst fears may be realized. The USGA has sent up a drone or hover craft to see if folks are playing conforming equipment and going to the letter by the rules. OGA Members be aware it may be here the rules Police!

Alight guys, so I snuck up to Aunts house, my Mother and Grandmother absolutely insisted I go. It was my Birthday yesterday, third one "stuck in the house" LOL So I confess I broke the rules. BUT I got to see my Nieces and Nephews :) Oh my word are they all growing up so fast! Anyway, the house has a pretty darn big yard so naturally I brought a few clubs and my bag of foam balls. My first full swings with unimpeded foam ball flight, about the closest thing I've had to real golf in 2 years. It was great!!! I must have been out there for 3-4 hours LOL, and my oldest niece Isabella is really really interested in golf and she's a lefty too! :D I couldn't be happier, she has great hand eye coordination and hit some pretty good shots. I'm gonna get my old irons cut down a bit for her and let her have them, hopefully she develops a passion for the game, I'll try my best to feed the fire.

Well, Happy frickin' Birthday, my lefty bro!!

And yes, my Callaway wedges are the vintage finish.

I hope you had a wonderful birthday Ham... Today is Mrs. Sixty's birthday, (Mrs. SixtyOne in this case :) hard to believe when we got married she was 18... time flies -like the fake UFO- too slow- I saw real one in '67, it scared the crap out of me. I'll have to tell the story some time...

I hope you had a wonderful birthday Ham... Today is Mrs. Sixty's birthday, (Mrs. SixtyOne in this case :) hard to believe when we got married she was 18... time flies -like the fake UFO- too slow- I saw real one in '67, it scared the crap out of me. I'll have to tell the story some time...

Thank you, and a very Happy Birthday to Mrs.Sixty :) And by "today" you mean the 29th? If so Mrs. Sixty and I share the same Birthday :D

Took her off the market at 18!! Nicely done, when you know, you know! I can only hope to find my future Mrs. Hammer someday.

Love to hear the UFO story sometime too btw!!!

Conrad, all is well. Thanks for wondering. I needed to take a WRX sabbatical for awhile. A self imposed time-out. Found myself spending (wasting) entirely to much time with random musings and chatter. Also a bit of travel and playing at golf.

I've never felt a shaft load. Near as I can tell. What's it suppose to feel like? Maybe hard to load one with a 75 mph swing speed. Wait...think I loaded one once. When I took a whack with the Mrs. L flex D, 225 yards to the right as I recall.

Equipment is a major component of my overall golf experience. Not in a "latest and greatest" way, but in a head long rush backwards to discover clubs that I did not even know of their existence a few short years ago. Discovering that I can play pretty decently with them, relative to my capabilities. Finding them at relatively modest expense (or in some instances downright dirt cheap) and then modifying to my preferences. So the current WITB (for the moment):

Driver - Titleist 905T 10.5* with GD YS-6+ regular flex. Was having all kinds of problems keeping the G25 straight last year. No matter what I tried. There was a thread in Classic discussing old Titliest 975D drivers that intrigued me. Stumbled into a 983K with a stiff in a bargain bin for cheap. Immediately straightened out my driving of the ball. Can square the head up better is my thinking. The natural evolution was to the "bigger" head (400cc) of the 905T. What was once a real detriment to my game has now become a strength. FIR has increased dramatically, without sacrificing anything in terms of distance. When you hit it in the center of the face. Which is sorta the idea of it all. The Ping is now long gone, sold it off.

Fairways - TM V Steels 15* and 18* shafted Grafalloy Epic and PL Platinum respectively. Marvelously easy to hit metals off the turf, the sole design is damn near perfect for getting the ball elevated and away. Because they were listed as Junior clubs with short shafts, nobody bid on them and I picked up the pair for > $30.00. Already had the shafts in inventory. Perhaps they're more current clubs that perform equally well, but I question if they would be better. Also have an old SE 650T 21* 7W that's been around for ever. My go to club for 170'ish yards. Can change the grip position (up or down) to manipulate the ball flight and distance depending on the shot needed.

Hybrids - They go in and out of the bag depending on the course. Primarily based on the length of the rough that may be encountered. Use a G25 23* as the primary. Struggled with making good contact with it early this season. Was considering getting rid of it. Decided to throw in a 1" extension as it seemed a tad short. Made all the difference. Much improved ball contact and results. Similar in many respects to the 7W, with the hybrid being a bit higher ball flight and better suited to playing from deep(er) rough. Of late, rediscovering an old SE QS 4 27*. Haven't bagged it for several years. Forgotten how nice this 'little' club is for 150 - 160 years shots. Call it my "old man's" cheater club. Just swing nice and easy, ruler straight with a nice high trajectory. Its now firmly planted back in the bag, why mess around with trying to hit a 5 iron (non-SGI variety) with mixed results.

Irons - Wasted a good portion of the spring playing the i20's. Thinking the "forgiveness" (?) would be of benefit as I was resurrecting the swing from the off-season lethargy. Became very frustrated with my ineffectiveness and seemingly endless amount of fats and thins that I was hitting. These were the clubs that I was Ping 'fitted' into several years ago, paid good money for. Use to be able to hit....OK. So finally, with improvement in the climatic conditions (actually got semi-warm), put the '99 Apex's with 950GH shafts back in the bag. What a difference, so easy to hit. No longer have to manipulate the club face to "work the bounce". Just ground the club and put a tempoed swing on it. Bam, that easy really. Sure I can mishit shots, I'm just a middling golfer. But no longer feel that I'm fighting my irons to get them to execute the shot that I want. And the touch from 125 yards in with the Apexs are in all ways superior to the Pings. They are now banished to the basement and should be sold. I've fully lost confidence in my ability to affectively play them.

Couple of weeks ago, posted that I had acquired a second set of Apexs. In better condition than the first, shafted with FCM Flighted 5.5 Rifles. I had always liked Rifles (15 years ago), but was apprehensive if I would be still find them agreeable. I do. Surprised that the little extra heft and stiffness has improved my ball striking capabilities. The heft helps with swing tempo, the stiffness with dispersion. Have no idea what SW's are (even though I have a scale) nor what the lie is other than standard. But in general, hitting the ball straight at the target. Need a few more rounds to determine if a bend to my customary upright lie is warranted. Shot an 87 with them a week ago, the best round of the season so far. Perhaps not all that impressive to some. But given my golfing capabilities, a score that I'm semi-satisfied with. And could have been 6 strokes better if it wasn't for a woeful day with the putter. There is no logical reason why I should play and enjoy these irons as much as I do (science withstanding, and I don't want to go there).

Wedges - Playing Hogans, so play Hogan wedges. Acquired a Special 51* K Grind to serve as a gap wedge between the 48* PW and 56* SW. A yardage hole that I needed to fill, which this wedge does just fine. Really like chip and runs with it. Been oscillating between the BeCu SI and a newer Hogan SI that I'm really liking for both turf and sand play. Nope, don't know the bounce, don't need to know, don't want to know. Just give me a wedge that has the right "feel" and I'll take it from there. All else are just trifling technicalities that are of no consequence.

Putter - Putting has been problematic so far. Despite practicing and being aware of the "no slouching, shoulders back" approach. A bit of the yips on short putts of late. But have been realizing some improvement of late, trending in a positive direction. The putter of preference for the moment is a Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #5 mallet. I've extended it out to 36" facilitating a more upright, shoulders back stance. Think I was crouching a bit to much, not letting my arms move freely during the stroke. But I have a tendency to change putters whenever I think one has temporarily lost its mojo. Also seeing some play time this season has been a BeCu Zing 2, older Macgregor JN Muirfield 8802 style, and a SE Tour Platinum 7802. A 'Dalehead' style with a flow neck that I shafted with a salvaged Rifle 8 iron shaft (?) I had laying around. Actually like the bit of added weight it offers. Was putting pretty good with it for awhile, until it went stale. Changed it up. Have buds that would never dream of changing the putter they use. I just like having a different feel and look occasionally in a "variety is the spice of life" sort of way. IDK, probably not a sound strategy for putting efficacy. But heretofore, putting has not been a problem area typically. At least no more or less than anything else. It is what it is.

Ball - Been playing the Wilson Duo Spin a fair amount this spring. Really like them, soft feel without being 'mushy' like the 50 Elites. And since no one plays Wilson balls, don't have to mark them or remember a number (which I don't) to identify which ball is mine whilst out playing. Don't see where they spin any more or less than any other ball though. Been going with the "get to use to playing one ball" theory this year, see if it makes a difference. So far, not really. Or I'm not good enough to notice a difference. But really not much of a ball aficionado, sometimes playing whatever comes out of the bag (within reason).

So that's the current bag setup. Subject to change at a moments notice based on nothing more than whim and fancy.

Happy belated B'day PH. Hope it was a good one for you.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Well, happy belated birthdays to Hamster and Mrs. Sixty One!!

So glad you were able to get in some "full" swings Ham. When you finally

get on a course bro you're gonna have to calm down, haha, cause you're

gonna be so frickin' excited your yardages will get way inflated. :D

SLED Gemini