2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Confessions 12 --- Exploding Heads

Conrad1953

Conrad, all is well. Thanks for wondering. I needed to take a WRX sabbatical for awhile. A self imposed time-out. Found myself spending (wasting) entirely to much time with random musings and chatter. Also a bit of travel and playing at golf.

I've never felt a shaft load. Near as I can tell. What's it suppose to feel like? Maybe hard to load one with a 75 mph swing speed. Wait...think I loaded one once. When I took a whack with the Mrs. L flex D, 225 yards to the right as I recall.

Equipment is a major component of my overall golf experience. Not in a "latest and greatest" way, but in a head long rush backwards to discover clubs that I did not even know of their existence a few short years ago. Discovering that I can play pretty decently with them, relative to my capabilities. Finding them at relatively modest expense (or in some instances downright dirt cheap) and then modifying to my preferences. So the current WITB (for the moment):

Driver - Titleist 905T 10.5* with GD YS-6+ regular flex. Was having all kinds of problems keeping the G25 straight last year. No matter what I tried. There was a thread in Classic discussing old Titliest 975D drivers that intrigued me. Stumbled into a 983K with a stiff in a bargain bin for cheap. Immediately straightened out my driving of the ball. Can square the head up better is my thinking. The natural evolution was to the "bigger" head (400cc) of the 905T. What was once a real detriment to my game has now become a strength. FIR has increased dramatically, without sacrificing anything in terms of distance. When you hit it in the center of the face. Which is sorta the idea of it all. The Ping is now long gone, sold it off.

Fairways - TM V Steels 15* and 18* shafted Grafalloy Epic and PL Platinum respectively. Marvelously easy to hit metals off the turf, the sole design is damn near perfect for getting the ball elevated and away. Because they were listed as Junior clubs with short shafts, nobody bid on them and I picked up the pair for > $30.00. Already had the shafts in inventory. Perhaps they're more current clubs that perform equally well, but I question if they would be better. Also have an old SE 650T 21* 7W that's been around for ever. My go to club for 170'ish yards. Can change the grip position (up or down) to manipulate the ball flight and distance depending on the shot needed.

Hybrids - They go in and out of the bag depending on the course. Primarily based on the length of the rough that may be encountered. Use a G25 23* as the primary. Struggled with making good contact with it early this season. Was considering getting rid of it. Decided to throw in a 1" extension as it seemed a tad short. Made all the difference. Much improved ball contact and results. Similar in many respects to the 7W, with the hybrid being a bit higher ball flight and better suited to playing from deep(er) rough. Of late, rediscovering an old SE QS 4 27*. Haven't bagged it for several years. Forgotten how nice this 'little' club is for 150 - 160 years shots. Call it my "old man's" cheater club. Just swing nice and easy, ruler straight with a nice high trajectory. Its now firmly planted back in the bag, why mess around with trying to hit a 5 iron (non-SGI variety) with mixed results.

Irons - Wasted a good portion of the spring playing the i20's. Thinking the "forgiveness" (?) would be of benefit as I was resurrecting the swing from the off-season lethargy. Became very frustrated with my ineffectiveness and seemingly endless amount of fats and thins that I was hitting. These were the clubs that I was Ping 'fitted' into several years ago, paid good money for. Use to be able to hit....OK. So finally, with improvement in the climatic conditions (actually got semi-warm), put the '99 Apex's with 950GH shafts back in the bag. What a difference, so easy to hit. No longer have to manipulate the club face to "work the bounce". Just ground the club and put a tempoed swing on it. Bam, that easy really. Sure I can mishit shots, I'm just a middling golfer. But no longer feel that I'm fighting my irons to get them to execute the shot that I want. And the touch from 125 yards in with the Apexs are in all ways superior to the Pings. They are now banished to the basement and should be sold. I've fully lost confidence in my ability to affectively play them.

Couple of weeks ago, posted that I had acquired a second set of Apexs. In better condition than the first, shafted with FCM Flighted 5.5 Rifles. I had always liked Rifles (15 years ago), but was apprehensive if I would be still find them agreeable. I do. Surprised that the little extra heft and stiffness has improved my ball striking capabilities. The heft helps with swing tempo, the stiffness with dispersion. Have no idea what SW's are (even though I have a scale) nor what the lie is other than standard. But in general, hitting the ball straight at the target. Need a few more rounds to determine if a bend to my customary upright lie is warranted. Shot an 87 with them a week ago, the best round of the season so far. Perhaps not all that impressive to some. But given my golfing capabilities, a score that I'm semi-satisfied with. And could have been 6 strokes better if it wasn't for a woeful day with the putter. There is no logical reason why I should play and enjoy these irons as much as I do (science withstanding, and I don't want to go there).

Wedges - Playing Hogans, so play Hogan wedges. Acquired a Special 51* K Grind to serve as a gap wedge between the 48* PW and 56* SW. A yardage hole that I needed to fill, which this wedge does just fine. Really like chip and runs with it. Been oscillating between the BeCu SI and a newer Hogan SI that I'm really liking for both turf and sand play. Nope, don't know the bounce, don't need to know, don't want to know. Just give me a wedge that has the right "feel" and I'll take it from there. All else are just trifling technicalities that are of no consequence.

Putter - Putting has been problematic so far. Despite practicing and being aware of the "no slouching, shoulders back" approach. A bit of the yips on short putts of late. But have been realizing some improvement of late, trending in a positive direction. The putter of preference for the moment is a Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #5 mallet. I've extended it out to 36" facilitating a more upright, shoulders back stance. Think I was crouching a bit to much, not letting my arms move freely during the stroke. But I have a tendency to change putters whenever I think one has temporarily lost its mojo. Also seeing some play time this season has been a BeCu Zing 2, older Macgregor JN Muirfield 8802 style, and a SE Tour Platinum 7802. A 'Dalehead' style with a flow neck that I shafted with a salvaged Rifle 8 iron shaft (?) I had laying around. Actually like the bit of added weight it offers. Was putting pretty good with it for awhile, until it went stale. Changed it up. Have buds that would never dream of changing the putter they use. I just like having a different feel and look occasionally in a "variety is the spice of life" sort of way. IDK, probably not a sound strategy for putting efficacy. But heretofore, putting has not been a problem area typically. At least no more or less than anything else. It is what it is.

Ball - Been playing the Wilson Duo Spin a fair amount this spring. Really like them, soft feel without being 'mushy' like the 50 Elites. And since no one plays Wilson balls, don't have to mark them or remember a number (which I don't) to identify which ball is mine whilst out playing. Don't see where they spin any more or less than any other ball though. Been going with the "get to use to playing one ball" theory this year, see if it makes a difference. So far, not really. Or I'm not good enough to notice a difference. But really not much of a ball aficionado, sometimes playing whatever comes out of the bag (within reason).

So that's the current bag setup. Subject to change at a moments notice based on nothing more than whim and fancy.

Happy belated B'day PH. Hope it was a good one for you.

Good to see you back Fella.

I think the science has run it's course. LOL, before I even knew our man

Ninja was an engineer I said to him engineers sure have a knack for spoiling

the romance. I know he remembers haha.

For him the physics is an integral part of the romance. And for some of us it

just makes our heads explode after a point is reached and kills the romance.

What a great game. There's something in it for everyone.

I AM happy for all the knowledge he has crammed into my old brain and at

the same time I am happy we're back to talking about things in terms of what

we like and dislike....and the results we get or don't get.

I can't even imagine what a thread like this would be like if it were ALL

engineers. I bet after awhile even Ninja would tire of the nerdiness and tell

everyone to just go hit the effingham ball and tell us how you like it in one

sentence or less!

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

Fella

Nice summation, there. More than a few of us here have pure empathy for finding ourselves reassessing priorities. Be it life off line that drives that - the flavor of the day tenor of the convos - or a little of both....I do believe one and all are feeling you on that one. Glad you dropped by and again it was a fine summation of WITB, why, and all things related to you having to reassess.

FWIW - My own journey has also been marked by many reassessments. Hard to collapse it into one post anyone would even care hearing about. Suppose it distills down to opening some doors while closing others. Best way I know of putting it. Had to think about that one awhile but decision time about which doors were which had clearly come. Enough about my selfish crap...

Hammy - Getting out - seeing family for the birthday - swinging the sticks - all pure music. Sounds like it was done on the sly and I sure hope that would be seen as more than understandable by the powers that be. Just so glad you get a change of pace - especially for your B'day and especially with family. That post made the old heart beat to a cool rhythm! Well played and happy B'day.

Mrs. "61" might just be carved out of the same block of wood Mrs. Reason came from. Both have stood by guys for a long long time and are still our girlfriends. We somehow outkicked our coverage with these incredible ladies, didn't we? (We must never get them together to compare stories about what a mess we are - lol) Many happy returns to her my friend. Good health and happiness to you both.

Memorial Day best to all - A time of observing those who give it all. Our babble online and very ability to play a goofy game in peace came at a price. Thanks to all who served and have passed. Deepest thoughts also to those left in the wake of their loss.

LOL the science doesn't run it's course. The science defines it.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

LOL, get all technical on me. You can't help yourself, LMAO.

SLED Gemini

I work with a manager that always coaches me to "never let facts and data get in the way of politics and business". I'm stubborn like that.

Registered Bladeocrat

Played with the same clubs from 1997-2013 - now my set in Charleston. Same putter since 1994. Other putter since sometime in the 70s. New set in 2014 and just replaced shafts in D/3W from 46/43.5 to 44.5/42 - great move. When we moved last year I found my old Wilson Staffs and donated them to Goodwill. I'm the anti club ho.

Just played and always bounced between a 6-9. Since I started lessons about 16 months ago, my swing is actually starting to take shape - didn't help that I pulled a lat muscle and haven't been able to play/practice in the last 5 weeks - so it's already a 2nd season for me - ball striking is good but anything inside 100 yds is a work in progress - only played 27 holes in the last couple of days. Thinking more playing now and less practicing - maybe just the short game - lots of tight lies and bunkers at Holston - and it didn't take long to learn not to be above the hole and to not under club coming into those smalish greens with false fronts/sides/backs - have had a number of shots hit the green and roll back to the fairway or into a bunker. Starting to get used to greens that roll consistently at 11.

Papa - coming to Chucktown this week but heading to Savannah for a blues fest. Unlikely to be able to get together with Sunday and Monday an outside possiblity - have A/C folks coming Monday am for annual maintenance. Coming back Tuesday.

Not going to declare victory over the bamboo just yet but have to say it has not sprouted with the vigor it had last year.

Bought a new CR-V EXL. Went thru Costco at first but just to get a 2nd price we went to a dealer in Morristown that had good reviews - well worth it - $2K less than the Costco

dealer - $1K on price and $1K on trade plus a few accessories thrown in to boot. And that's without telling them we had another offer.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

Thanks for the Birthday wishes everyone, I appreciate it!

Fella, good to see you! Breaks are good, just glad to know all is well.

Reasy, thank you. I was nice, very very nice! I miss hanging out with my Sister, her kids, and my Auntie, takes my mind off of my situation. Makes whatever happens to me OK because I feel loved.

Did you know???

The modern golf cap was adapted from baseball after Babe Ruth took up the sport. Golf caps were first made by Young Bernie Morris from repurposed cow flop. Bernie had a lot of bad hair days.

The inspiration for Trackman came from a golfer playing on a hot and dry day after he farted dust.

When asked if he ever played golf, Yogi Berra answered "I used to when I first started."

Members of the worldwide Fiberglass Shaft Association both met last week and projected sales will be flat for the rest of the year.

Play at a charitable event for the screen actors guild had to suspended today when the cast of Cats refused to leave a fairway bunker.

Female sheep were sent in mass to provide ground cover on a course plagued by local tree dwelling birds that were feeding on fairway grass. When the grounds keeper was asked about the unique strategy he replied, "Only ewes can prevent forest flyers."

Tune in at eleven for the latest on the adjustable golf ball controversy. Call-in or text your vote as to whether the special wrench should be included or sold separately.

But there is absolutely one thing you just can't know... until out of nowhere and in the most unusual an unexpected way - other humans invite us to take a little sip of just plain being human.

There's just no planning that moment where the all-important agenda of just a few moments ago - suddenly becomes totally unimportant, even forgotten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsPDY606Joo

What were discussing? Suddenly I can't remember.

But there is absolutely one thing you just can't know... until out of nowhere and in the most unusual an unexpected way - other humans invite us to take a little sip of just plain being human.

There's just no planning that moment where the all-important agenda of just a few moments ago - suddenly becomes totally unimportant, even forgotten.

https://www.youtube....h?v=dsPDY606Joo

What were discussing? Suddenly I can't remember.

Cool video!

I've had a few of those moments in my life thus far, where it makes me feel like an idiot for placing such importance in frivolous things. Finding perspective.

Sometimes science needs to pretend it is a submarine and dive dive dive deep....then run silent..... :D :tease: :ninja:

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

Sometimes science needs to pretend it is a submarine and dive dive dive deep....then run silent..... :D :tease: :ninja:

If you're gonna fantasize that the science kills the "romance" of the game, you ought to be able fantasize that the post isn't actually there.

Don't like a post or think it has "ran it's course"? Solution: don't read it!

Registered Bladeocrat

If you're gonna fantasize that the science kills the "romance" of the game, you ought to be able fantasize that the post isn't actually there.

Already took your advice lol. Mostly cause I couldn't understand most of it and the rest cause well at times it looked like you were test driving a 'Science Journal' paper on us.

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

Already took your advice lol. Mostly cause I couldn't understand most of it and the rest cause well at times it looked like you were test driving a 'Science Journal' paper on us.

I was just responding to someone else. It was never meant for you to begin with. By your post, it didn't look like you ignored it. Maybe sometimes sarcasm needs to pretend it is a boat anchor?

Registered Bladeocrat

Just checked in

Slowly catching up

Glad no one’s head exploded

Stu hope you did not get too wet down your way.

Hope your church had some good insurance on the equipment

Happy BD Hammy! Nice you got out!

Happy BD to Mrs. 61

May was a good month

My Mrs. 61 just went to 62

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

Did you know???

The modern golf cap was adapted from baseball after Babe Ruth took up the sport. Golf caps were first made by Young Bernie Morris from repurposed cow flop. Bernie had a lot of bad hair days.

The inspiration for Trackman came from a golfer playing on a hot and dry day after he farted dust.

When asked if he ever played golf, Yogi Berra answered "I used to when I first started."

Members of the worldwide Fiberglass Shaft Association both met last week and projected sales will be flat for the rest of the year.

Play at a charitable event for the screen actors guild had to suspended today when the cast of Cats refused to leave a fairway bunker.

Female sheep were sent in mass to provide ground cover on a course plagued by local tree dwelling birds that were feeding on fairway grass. When the grounds keeper was asked about the unique strategy he replied, "Only ewes can prevent forest flyers."

Tune in at eleven for the latest on the adjustable golf ball controversy. Call-in or text your vote as to whether the special wrench should be included or sold separately.

Judge, why did you not share with us whatever you were doing during this post?

I've sorta felt it was proper to read all the posts in here.....but since you're advising us

to skip over yours I guess I'll take your advice. :D

SLED Gemini

I've sorta felt it was proper to read all the posts in here.....but since you're advising us

That's entirely your choice. It is just a suggestion based on your own comments and posts. I sorta thought it would be more proper to ignore a post you didn't want to read, like a science one, instead of suggesting that discussing it has "run its course" or it "kills the romance".

Registered Bladeocrat

That's entirely your choice. It is just a suggestion based on your own comments and posts. I sorta thought it would be more proper to ignore a post you didn't want to read, like a science one, instead of suggesting that discussing it has "run its course" or it "kills the romance".

It HAS run it's course, but carry on. No further responses will be coming from me.

SLED Gemini

It HAS run it's course, but carry on. No further responses will be coming from me.

To you it has. And probably to others. But I believe there are others (NOT including me) that have had zero issues discussing it. All I'm doing is RESPONDING to others that are discussing it WITH me. It's rather ironic that it only "ran its course" when you didn't agree with it anymore.

Registered Bladeocrat

Don't want to be accused of being 'passive aggressive' because that isn't my way and I'm definitely not a 'troll' (although I've been painted with this broad brush).

Unfortunately our sanctuary has been infected with toxicity. I'm certain that I'm not the only one who feels this way (given the disappearance and/or selective posting of so many regulars).

I'm not going to ignore posts and I'm not going to block member(s) as that isn't my way. Life's too short to get stressed in a general topic thread. We're all passionate about the game and we have many shared interests. Obvious messages are either being ignored and/or missed and that saddens me.

I'm really close to picking up my ball and walking to the next tee.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

Don't want to be accused of being 'passive aggressive' because that isn't my way and I'm definitely not a 'troll' (although I've been painted with this broad brush).

Unfortunately our sanctuary has been infected with toxicity. I'm certain that I'm not the only one who feels this way (given the disappearance and/or selective posting of so many regulars).

I'm not going to ignore posts and I'm not going to block member(s) as that isn't my way. Life's too short to get stressed in a general topic thread. We're all passionate about the game and we have many shared interests. Obvious messages are either being ignored and/or missed and that saddens me.

I'm really close to picking up my ball and walking to the next tee.

All I can say is that personally I feel like I'm just posting my golf journey, which happens to be technical. And then to have others suggest that my personal posts of sharing my golf journey is "killing the romance" or "running its course", to me, is rather trollish and toxic towards me. So my only suggestion from that point is to ignore my posts.

To be clear, if someone is going to comment (passively or not) about my posts, then I'm going to comment on it to make sure you understand my perspective. If that is viewed as toxic, well then I apologize to those that took it that way. It wasn't meant to be.

Also FWIW I have zero issues talking about any topic within the forum rules. I have read MANY posts that have "ran their course" in my eyes, but I will go on record to say that I have never called anyone out about it. That would be RUDE. I have always viewed this thread as one where we can post what we want as long as it is within the forum rules.

Registered Bladeocrat

Ummm, a priest wakes up one Sun morning and the weather is gorgeous, and he decides he just has to play golf, so he calls the Monsignor and tells him he is sick and can't serve mass. The M. says certainly, rest my son and get well.

The Priest heads to the golf course and gets out as a single. On the 4th hole, par 5, he crushes a drive, and then pures a 5w just short of the green and it rolls up and in for an albatross. St Peter is looking down and says to God, 'why did you let him get an albatross when was being deceitful?', to which God replied, 'who's he going to tell?'.

Ninja,

There should be no issue with the fact that I disagree with your views on bounce, club design, and/or any other topic. At some point along the way you stopped 'discussing' and began 'lecturing'. I don't believe it's the topic but rather the delivery that's become polarizing as of late.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

I gotta agree with my man Da Ninja.

I've read a few posts that were critical of what other Confessioners have posted and always thought to myself, why not just ignore it.

Seemingly the only rule of Confessions threads seems to have been the golden rule.

Personally, I like to read 99% of what you guys write, but I also have the ability to simply skim something that I'm not jazzed on reading.

I don't like when guys act like they have some kind of ownership over content in the thread like they moderate what's appropriate or not. The fun to me in the whole concept is to discuss anything you can stay civil and discuss and ignore everything that doesn't interest you or you can't discuss with civility.

I know that not all of you are interested in reading about every round of golf I play, but a few guys comment that they enjoy the continuity of seeing how my view of the game changes, so I've continued to post. But, I'll admit it bums me out when a post is made complaining there's too much detail about a guy's round, etc. - maybe it's jealousy when you're not getting to play or just plain rudeness, but I'm in the camp of ignore it and hope that this place returns to an environment where folks feel comfortable posting without being critiqued.

Maybe the threads have simply run their course.