Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

Looks like my poor ole Browns are getting their lunch and dinner eaten ...

Looks like my poor ole Browns are getting their lunch and dinner eaten ...

I think things will be looking up for the Browns in bit.

I'm glad I have 2 Alabama teams to root for cause the Auburn Tigers look to be in disarray.

Meanwhile the #1 Crimson Tide just keep rolling.

The #2 Georgia Bulldogs got shellacked by LSU 36-16.

Too bad Fella isn't around. Would like to congratulate on MSU's thrilling victory over Penn State.

MSU hosting the Wolvies next weekend. I imagine Fella is gonna be at the game. I'll be pulling

for your Spartans Fella; if you're reading by any chance. I don't like the Wolvies for some reason.

I want the Wolvies taken out, Georgia, too. Let Ohio State play Clemson in one playoff and let

Alabama feast on Notre Dame in the other.

Oops, wait, it's too early for playoff talk. :)

I like the way you think about NCAAF like the OSU Alabama game except you got the Clemson Texas game mixed up by putting Notre who in there?>> They won't get past USC, maybe not NW. On the other hand, if OSU continues to play like they did Saturday against Minnesota in the first half, they may not win their bye week.

It's funny reading some of the Grille posts, the diffference in the way we live, things we were passionate about over the years and things we in our own bubble we considered important or interesting. The cars, music, sports, all different, and the way we talk, the way a sentence is constructed. Some times I have to concentrate to make sure I get the drift. It's an interesting journey in the Grille, learning how the other side of the world live love and leisure, be assured Grillers my world is a much better place with you all in it.

Busy at present working through all the tests, forms and pre op appointments for my DWs ablation, very comforting knowing the care they take before embarking on the operation.

You are so right, tol! Despite living just a stone's throw across the border, when the talk turns to college football, I'm pretty much lost. Oh sure, I've heard of all the big schools, but as far as rivalries, conferences, acronyms and playoffs it's all pretty much a mystery. No doubt the same that our American brothers would experience if the talk turned to CIS football which is the Canadian equivalent.

--------------------------

Today is my men's league windup game and lunch. It'll be interesting to see how many guys show up as the weather is going to be cool and wet. I won't be playing, but am going for lunch. I was figuring on getting there for noon, but might check and see if I need to get there a bit earlier if no one is golfing or they quit due to weather. Might just be the last opportunity to see some of these guys depending upon where we end up living and whomever may not make it back such is the case when you're dealing with a group of senior men, some of which are super senior.

Went out for dinner last night with #1 son and DIL to a gourmet pizza joint that my son favours. We didn't get to see them for our Thanksgiving as our DIL was sick, so this was to be a belated substitute I guess.

I've been to this place before, probably three or four times and while it caters to the Hipster crowd, I always found the food tasty and interesting. We get there and find that they've upgraded the decor with these cheap metal bistro chairs that are all the rage in coffee shops. Tolerable if you're only going to be sitting in them for 15 minutes, but not really worth a darn if you've got a bad back. We opted for a bench seat with a cushion affixed to the wall. Better, but hardly great.

Next thing we discover is that they are out of this that and the next thing. Always the things that we would typically order. They're no longer on the menu and the server doesn't know why the change was made. The orders were taken promptly and the drinks arrived, but the wait was interminable to the food. In fact my son told them to pack the one pizza in a box and they would just take it home with them...

The food was still tasty, but far from standout, particularly the pizza which is supposed to be their calling card with the wood fired oven. It wasn't nearly as good as others that I've had, particularly the fellow with the mobile oven that catered #2 son's wedding.

Next comes the bill. 4 wine, 4 beer, 2 salads, 2 pizzas, a burger and an order of garlic knots = $200! AYFKM?!

It's what my son wanted so that's all that mattered to my wife. We won't be going back. Been there, done that, nothing to write home about, just another overpriced trendy eatery that will likely be gone in another year if last night was any measure.

There must be a lot of money out there as in way more than I've got access to for folks to willingly shell out that kind of moola for something I can make at home equally well for maybe $40 worth of ingredients. I know, I know; someone has to pay the cook (and the dishwasher), but sheesh. It's one thing to pay up for something special that I can't make and be given a delightful dining experience, but I have to wonder when going out for pizza became a $200 outing? Pizza Hut doesn't look so bad after all...

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

It's funny reading some of the Grille posts, the diffference in the way we live, things we were passionate about over the years and things we in our own bubble we considered important or interesting. The cars, music, sports, all different, and the way we talk, the way a sentence is constructed. Some times I have to concentrate to make sure I get the drift. It's an interesting journey in the Grille, learning how the other side of the world live love and leisure, be assured Grillers my world is a much better place with you all in it.

Busy at present working through all the tests, forms and pre op appointments for my DWs ablation, very comforting knowing the care they take before embarking on the operation.

You are so right, tol! Despite living just a stone's throw across the border, when the talk turns to college football, I'm pretty much lost. Oh sure, I've heard of all the big schools, but as far as rivalries, conferences, acronyms and playoffs it's all pretty much a mystery. No doubt the same that our American brothers would experience if the talk turned to CIS football which is the Canadian equivalent.

Today is my men's league windup game and lunch. It'll be interesting to see how many guys show up as the weather is going to be cool and wet. I won't be playing, but am going for lunch. I was figuring on getting there for noon, but might check and see if I need to get there a bit earlier if no one is golfing or they quit due to weather. Might just be the last opportunity to see some of these guys depending upon where we end up living and whomever may not make it back such is the case when you're dealing with a group of senior men, some of which are super senior.

Went out for dinner last night with #1 son and DIL to a gourmet pizza joint that my son favours. We didn't get to see them for our Thanksgiving as our DIL was sick, so this was to be a belated substitute I guess.

I've been to this place before, probably three or four times and while it caters to the Hipster crowd, I always found the food tasty and interesting. We get there and find that they've upgraded the decor with these cheap metal bistro chairs that are all the rage in coffee shops. Tolerable if you're only going to be sitting in them for 15 minutes, but not really worth a darn if you've got a bad back. We opted for a bench seat with a cushion affixed to the wall. Better, but hardly great.

Next thing we discover is that they are out of this that and the next thing. Always the things that we would typically order. They're no longer on the menu and the server doesn't know why the change was made. The orders were taken promptly and the drinks arrived, but the wait was interminable to the food. In fact my son told them to pack the one pizza in a box and they would just take it home with them...

The food was still tasty, but far from standout, particularly the pizza which is supposed to be their calling card with the wood fired oven. It wasn't nearly as good as others that I've had, particularly the fellow with the mobile oven that catered #2 son's wedding.

Next comes the bill. 4 wine, 4 beer, 2 salads, 2 pizzas, a burger and an order of garlic knots = $200! AYFKM?!

It's what my son wanted so that's all that mattered to my wife. We won't be going back. Been there, done that, nothing to write home about, just another overpriced trendy eatery that will likely be gone in another year if last night was any measure.

There must be a lot of money out there as in way more than I've got access to for folks to willingly shell out that kind of moola for something I can make at home equally well for maybe $40 worth of ingredients. I know, I know; someone has to pay the cook (and the dishwasher), but sheesh. It's one thing to pay up for something special that I can't make and be given a delightful dining experience, but I have to wonder when going out for pizza became a $200 outing? Pizza Hut doesn't look so bad after all...

When we moved district, about 400 miles, we were planning on eating out more often, after trying it we now eat at home, far better quality at 1/10 the price. The other part we cannot get past, same as yourself, for some reason they all have seats that hurt the back even if you are fit. DW always has to take a cushion with her if we are meeting friends as it is impossible to be comfortable. The theory is they want you to eat and move on quickly, larger turnover of customers equals far greater profits.

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

Well Sixty, the new rankings just came out...........................

https://www.google.com/search?q=college+football+rankings&oq=college+football+rankings&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.8032j1j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Bama would play Notre Who 1 and 4

Ohio State would play Clemson 2 and 3

Georgia dropped from 2 to 8. That whooping by LSU set them back, lol.

You would rather play Bama in the national chamionship game anyway.

These are fake rankings anyway, haha. The real ones are coming soon when the playoff

committee starts their rankings.

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

Paul Newman once said ...."Why go out for a hamburger when you have steak at home?"

Oops, wrong subject.

SLED Gemini

pl

SLED Gemini

https://www.google.c...chrome&ie=UTF-8

These are fake rankings anyway, haha. The real ones are coming soon when the playoff

We'll take Clemson first. After the Minnesota game Saturday, I said to my wife who was upstairs in the kitchen, "Alabama is getting ready to start, come down and watch how different an SEC game is. So she sat down and we watched the first two plays when 'Bama got the ball and she said 'sheesh' and went back upstairs :)

Video pretty much tells the story of what she saw...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1yX4puPMRo

We'll take Clemson first. After the Minnesota game Saturday, I said to my wife who was upstairs in the kitchen, "Alabama is getting ready to start, come down and watch how different an SEC game is. So she sat down and we watched the first two plays when 'Bama got the ball and she said 'sheesh' and went back upstairs :)

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1yX4puPMRo[/media]

Tua is fun to watch. He's made Bama a much more exciting team offensively. And, of course,

Bama fans will never forget this performance, coming off the bench as a freshman on the

biggest stage in college football................with his team in a big hole.

I like that he got sacked for a big loss and then got back up on his feet and threw a long TD

pass to win the game.

SLED Gemini

pl

aymaker

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Tua is fun to watch. He's made Bama a much more exciting team offensively. And, of course,

Bama fans will never forget this performance, coming off the bench as a freshman on the

I like that he got sacked for a big loss and then got back up on his feet and threw a long TD

pass to win the game.

[media=]

[/media]

Cool I like Tua even better after seeing his post game interview :clapping:

pass to win the game.

[media=]

[/media]

Cool I like Tua even better after seeing his post game interview :clapping:

Aha, I was hoping you would watch it to the end! :good:

SLED Gemini

Today was a rain free day, apart from where I live. The whole district was dry but one narrow band of rain was passing over us most of the day. Some sorting in the shed, some sorting of the freezers, moved the chicken houses as it wS muddy from all the rain, they enjoyed the new grass and rewarded us with five eggs.

Wriggs, pal penny seems to enjoy your company, do as I said adopt and build a fence.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

So the men's league windup luncheon was a success with 18 committed and showing up for the lunch. We have 35 members on the roster so that was a fair turnout I think all things considered which included a cold and wet day for golf.

Three brave souls headed out at 10 am for the final round of the season -- well, not really as the guys will be playing right through til close up in mid November -- while the rest of us thought better of it and showed up around noon for the meal. None of the golfers bothered to bring a change of clothes; silly boys! There's nothing worse than having to hang around for a social event feeling cold and wet!

I learned that I wasn't the only one who was suffering this year. Our convener Ed is getting scheduled to get both knees replaced so he will maybe on the DL for next season depending upon when he has the operation(s). Another member Tony, who often goes simply by Colonel -- air force vet and retired airline pilot -- showed up using a walker. It's beginning to look like his golfing days maybe over.

All in all, everyone was in good spirits and it was nice to get caught up a bit. It was nice not having to talk about me per se; I think that Brenda has been keeping the guys updated as to why I wan't playing. Only two had wondered where I had been with old Jack wondering why I wasn't planning on coming out to play on Thursday. I don't think he really believed me when I told him that I had only played 23 holes of golf this year!

That pretty much puts a lid on my forays to the golf course this year. I told Brenda that I would come up and see her on her birthday, next month, but the course maybe closed by then. When I look back over the season, I was actually up there every month but May between working the odd shift or trying to get a game in. Certainly not what I had anticipated going into the season, but at least it allowed me to maintain the connection. What the future holds will be anyone's guess. I told the boys that I hoped to see them in the spring.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

So I played golf with an old friend this weekend. He came up from Walla Walla and played with another retired dentist and me. Back in the 90's they took up golf and I showed them a few things and helped get them started. Well he is a member at WWCC now and plays quite a lot. I was single digit back then and they thought I was quite good. He doesn't hit it near as far as I do but he has developed an incredible short game. He only 3 putted once and got up and down nearly every time and schooled us both. Shot 78 to my 83. Most of my strokes were the result of poor chipping and putting. I really need to practice my short game! Chip and putt for dough.

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

I'm so looking forward to getting out and playing again when I step off the road soon. It's

been a long time since I've played with any consistency. It's gonna take some time and

effort to get my game into some serviceable kind of shape. I'm ready to welcome that

challenge..............ya, aspire to be that old guy with the deadly short game!

SLED Gemini

So what's for lunch at the Grille? I am giving Gus and the gang a couple of soup recipes that I hope they can make. We went to a pizza place in Moab Ut. on our vacay. The all you can eat pizza, soup and salad bar was the best deal so that's what we had. Nice yeasty thin wood fired pizza and they would make anything you wanted. But the soup! Beer Cheddar and wow was that stuff good. Then at a canyon side restaurant at Grand Canyon we had lunch. Chicken or Vege Tamales and a Roasted Poblano Pepper Cheddar soup that was equally amazing. Hope Gus has the chops to get it done cause you might like it :)

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

One thing about the short game.....when I was playing a lot I was very comfortable pulling out

my high lofted wedges for most shots. I had to play a lot to be in that comfort zone though. That

was one of the first things to go when my playing time was cut way back.

Last time I was home, in September, I played one round and I didn't trust myself with a 60 degree

wedge in my hands, so to remove any possible idiot moments I didn't bring anything higher than a

54 degree SW; and I only used that one when I had to. For the most part I used the least loft

necessary to get the job done; within reason. I hit little short shots with anything from 7i to PW.

I know it's been said over and over that we ams should approach our short games this way and

utiize more bump and run type shots. That's well and fine when you don't have to pitch over a

bunker to a short sided pin on an elevated green. I would often have shots like that so I just got

in the habit of using more loft for all short shots.

I guess some of these choices we need to make are dependent on several factors; lie, distance,

green elevation, green slopes, etc. On most shots you're gonna have a few options. In the past

I would most often choose the shot I thought best for the situation without regard for my ability to

pull the shot off or not.

I think one of the keys to better scoring is to play within yourself and play the percentages. Seems

like common sense but sometimes common sense doesn't excite us on the golf course and we

want to pull of the sexy shot instead.....or we simply don't want to take our medicine and sacrifice

a potential stroke in order to avoid sacrificing even more.

In the short game, for me, I have found that the shots I mess up are the ones that had a lower chance

of success, according to my abilities at that moment, to begin with. Simply dumb golf.

A good example is my playing of a short par 4 and knocking my drive down to about 50 yards in front

of the green. From there, depending on a few factors, I can chose to hit a few different clubs. It's not

gonna be a "full" shot with any club. So I would grab my 60 degree wedge and proceed to chunk it

30 yards. Why? Why not chip a little 9 iron or PW in there. I could still mess up that shot but the odds

are good I would wind up closer to the hole than the 20 yards I have left now.

Ah, but see, I was thinking I could fly that 60 degree wedge to the hole and stop it and have a close

putt for birdie. The 9 iron was the better percentage shot but I was thinking I would be lucky to have a

birdie putt inside 20 feet.

When I think back on my "mishits" in the short game probably 90% of them are with high lofted wedges;

chunks and skulls but mostly chunks. But I like to remember the great shots I've hit and forget about the

chunky ones. It's funny how we can stand over an iffy golf shot and be both optimistic and pessimistic

at the same time, lol. Hit and hope we call it. Certainly that's not born of confidence.

So, I used less loft last time I played. In a way I felt a little relieved doing this. I had no fear of the chunk

and could just focus on a feel for distance control. For me, it can no longer be just about that shot I think

can get me closest to the hole; it has to be about the shot I am confident I can execute.

SLED Gemini

So what's for lunch at the Grille? I am giving Gus and the gang a couple of soup recipes that I hope they can make. We went to a pizza place in Moab Ut. on our vacay. The all you can eat pizza, soup and salad bar was the best deal so that's what we had. Nice yeasty thin wood fired pizza and they would make anything you wanted. But the soup! Beer Cheddar and wow was that stuff good. Then at a canyon side restaurant at Grand Canyon we had lunch. Chicken or Vege Tamales and a Roasted Poblano Pepper Cheddar soup that was equally amazing. Hope Gus has the chops to get it done cause you might like it :)

Mmmm.......you're making me hungry.............and I just ate..........and it wasn't anything as good sounding

as what you had. :)

SLED Gemini

One thing about the short game.....when I was playing a lot I was very comfortable pulling out

my high lofted wedges for most shots. I had to play a lot to be in that comfort zone though. That

Last time I was home, in September, I played one round and I didn't trust myself with a 60 degree

wedge in my hands, so to remove any possible idiot moments I didn't bring anything higher than a

54 degree SW; and I only used that one when I had to. For the most part I used the least loft

necessary to get the job done; within reason. I hit little short shots with anything from 7i to PW.

I know it's been said over and over that we ams should approach our short games this way and

utiize more bump and run type shots. That's well and fine when you don't have to pitch over a

bunker to a short sided pin on an elevated green. I would often have shots like that so I just got

I guess some of these choices we need to make are dependent on several factors; lie, distance,

green elevation, green slopes, etc. On most shots you're gonna have a few options. In the past

I would most often choose the shot I thought best for the situation without regard for my ability to

I think one of the keys to better scoring is to play within yourself and play the percentages. Seems

like common sense but sometimes common sense doesn't excite us on the golf course and we

want to pull of the sexy shot instead.....or we simply don't want to take our medicine and sacrifice

In the short game, for me, I have found that the shots I mess up are the ones that had a lower chance

of success, according to my abilities at that moment, to begin with. Simply dumb golf.

A good example is my playing of a short par 4 and knocking my drive down to about 50 yards in front

of the green. From there, depending on a few factors, I can chose to hit a few different clubs. It's not

gonna be a "full" shot with any club. So I would grab my 60 degree wedge and proceed to chunk it

30 yards. Why? Why not chip a little 9 iron or PW in there. I could still mess up that shot but the odds

Ah, but see, I was thinking I could fly that 60 degree wedge to the hole and stop it and have a close

putt for birdie. The 9 iron was the better percentage shot but I was thinking I would be lucky to have a

When I think back on my "mishits" in the short game probably 90% of them are with high lofted wedges;

chunks and skulls but mostly chunks. But I like to remember the great shots I've hit and forget about the

chunky ones. It's funny how we can stand over an iffy golf shot and be both optimistic and pessimistic

at the same time, lol. Hit and hope we call it. Certainly that's not born of confidence.

So, I used less loft last time I played. In a way I felt a little relieved doing this. I had no fear of the chunk

and could just focus on a feel for distance control. For me, it can no longer be just about that shot I think

can get me closest to the hole; it has to be about the shot I am confident I can execute.

Good summation of how we tend to look at our games. I know that I always remember the great shots while quickly forgetting the chunks and tops and fats. I think that there's a lot to be said for keeping the game as simple as possible by limiting your choices club wise. We need to remember that most players from the hickory era got by with less than 10 clubs -- a brassie, a spoon, a mid iron, a jigger, a mashie, a mashie niblick, a niblick and a putter of some description would be a pretty typical bag. You always need to ask yourself why bother carrying a club that you don't hit consistently with a measure of confidence. Almost any typical short game shot can be manufactured with something between and 8 iron and a SW, even those of modern loft. The rest are just about getting you there with the fewest strokes possible in a typical round.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Those sound delicious! I'm a lover of soups as well. My favourite cool/cold weather choice for lunches and appetizers. Every year our church runs a soupfest in February as a fund raiser for the local food bank. They get several of the local restaurants/diners/cafes to support the event by donating and serving their specialty soups. It's always a big hit with a wide selection for every taste. :good:

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Good summation of how we tend to look at our games. I know that I always remember the great shots while quickly forgetting the chunks and tops and fats. I think that there's a lot to be said for keeping the game as simple as possible by limiting your choices club wise. We need to remember that most players from the hickory era got by with less than 10 clubs -- a brassie, a spoon, a mid iron, a jigger, a mashie, a mashie niblick, a niblick and a putter of some description would be a pretty typical bag. You always need to ask yourself why bother carrying a club that you don't hit consistently with a measure of confidence. Almost any typical short game shot can be manufactured with something between and 8 iron and a SW, even those of modern loft. The rest are just about getting you there with the fewest strokes possible in a typical round.

I use all of my clubs but some may only be used once every two games. The clubs mostly used are driver, 4 hybrid, 6 iron, 8 iron, 60* wedge and putter., the other main use is a 7iron for chip and run shots, playing full or half shots gives me all the different distances I will ever need. We drop into habits and talking to golf mates they are never going to drop off any clubs in case they need them one day.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Catching up. Hurricane Michael's visit left us in the dark. Cable, power, phones, data line, all down for many days and nights. Amazing what "can" be cooked on a gas grille. Things beginning to normalize - finally. Would gripe and complain but that'd be a low blow given what so many have been through.

Any hints on how to remove candle wax from the toilet seat? You can fill in the blanks on that one.

No golf lately. Miss it. As I recall we hold the skinny end in the hands and swing the fat part at the ball.

We have four weeks and a bit before DW has her ablation, talking to the doctors we were of the mind one pre op visit to the hospital, but we now have five days to visit for numerous specialised tests. One of them take 2 hours prep, one hour test, six hours recovery.

She has been looking foreword to this for so long she is trying to be positive over what is going to be a long drawn out series of tests. Off to see our doctor next week for preliminary blood tests and chest X-ray.

We know it will be a long procedure but we are happy we live in a country where we can have all this and for us it’s free,

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Catching up. Hurricane Michael's visit left us in the dark. Cable, power, phones, data line, all down for many days and nights. Amazing what "can" be cooked on a gas grille. Things beginning to normalize - finally. Would gripe and complain but that'd be a low blow given what so many have been through.

Any hints on how to remove candle wax from the toilet seat? You can fill in the blanks on that one.

No golf lately. Miss it. As I recall we hold the skinny end in the hands and swing the fat part at the ball.

Good to hear you are all safe Reason, the earth has its own way of keeping us in our place.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Yesterday, a nice 50 degree day. Walked 14 holes on an empty course, didn't play too badly, one birdie.

Had over an hour chat with the president and manager of the club. We talked about club finances, and the manager stressed that the money situation was critical. Mr. President discoursed about how we needed to sell more equity certificates, and other such nonsense. I tried to stay as neutral as possible. Board meeting tonight, I'm glad he didn't ask me to attend. Nothing will be accomplished.

The manager said she had to cancel a booked wedding for late November. The roof is leaking badly over the bar area, the furnace isn't working properly, and the A/C needs replaced completely. For $375, and liquor sales, (outside catering) the manager said she could not risk a fiasco. The president didn't comment.

I can't understand why no one on the board has attempted to get a loan or line of credit to just keep the club going. When the Marcellus gas royalties come in from pumping, things will be ok. Now, the wells are capped, in anticipation of higher prices in the future.

We'll see.

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)