Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

Hot one tomorrow forecast 102*, have to look after the chickens, try and keep them cool. Last year we had two die in the hot weather, not good as they provide for us very well.

We will be clearing out the freezer to make room for our Monday visit to Costco last of the pre Christmas shopping.

Speaking of chickens, something got into our 3 granddaughter's chicken coup this week and killed 7 of their 8 hens overnight. We figure is was a raccoon. They were devastated of course, they had them for a year and a half, had them named, they were pets besides providing eggs.

As far as 102* around Christmas time, I'm trying to picture Santa in a speedo instead of his winter suit, that's not working for me, that's a good thing I'm sure...

I went to my neurologist yesterday for my appointment for this pill change I'm going through. Things are going remarkably well. I'm starting week 5 today of the 6 full weeks it will take to get completely changed to the new one and drop the old one. Looks like all will be well. It's a relief when you have epilepsy and you can pull off something like this with no big hitches, gives me a relief with retirement coming to know it will be a big savings too :)

Happy to hear you're doing well. Good luck.

Just read Tol's comment about pythons in the back yard. WOW!

Supposed to be a warm, nice 60 degree day tomorrow. I haven't been out this week, except for my chiropractic appointment and coffee the one morning with my pal.. It seems if I don't golf, I don't get out much.

Never wanted to travel even when I was young. The few vacations I took as a young pup weren't great. It seems if I went somewhere with pals, we always ended up doing what they wanted. Even with the missus, vacations always meant family. I'm glad the missus has a widowed sister to go to flower shows and trips with.

Under those circumstances, I think I can be excused from enjoying travelling.

I'll stay home with my pal, Penny.

I think I posted this one last year, a medium sized python trying to get in the house

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

Hot one tomorrow forecast 102*, have to look after the chickens, try and keep them cool. Last year we had two die in the hot weather, not good as they provide for us very well.

We will be clearing out the freezer to make room for our Monday visit to Costco last of the pre Christmas shopping.

Speaking of chickens, something got into our 3 granddaughter's chicken coup this week and killed 7 of their 8 hens overnight. We figure is was a raccoon. They were devastated of course, they had them for a year and a half, had them named, they were pets besides providing eggs.

As far as 102* around Christmas time, I'm trying to picture Santa in a speedo instead of his winter suit, that's not working for me, that's a good thing I'm sure...

I went to my neurologist yesterday for my appointment for this pill change I'm going through. Things are going remarkably well. I'm starting week 5 today of the 6 full weeks it will take to get completely changed to the new one and drop the old one. Looks like all will be well. It's a relief when you have epilepsy and you can pull off something like this with no big hitches, gives me a relief with retirement coming to know it will be a big savings too :)

Supposed to be a warm, nice 60 degree day tomorrow. I haven't been out this week, except for my chiropractic appointment and coffee the one morning with my pal.. It seems if I don't golf, I don't get out much.

Never wanted to travel even when I was young. The few vacations I took as a young pup weren't great. It seems if I went somewhere with pals, we always ended up doing what they wanted. Even with the missus, vacations always meant family. I'm glad the missus has a widowed sister to go to flower shows and trips with.

DW loves to travel, before we met she was married and they did a 2 1/2 year trip round the world in a LandRover, the bug bit and is still biting only not quite so hard.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

[

Our biggest problem with the chicken are pythons, they grow very large out the back of the house in the woods, we see them early summer usually during the mating season.

We have some mosquitoes in the back yard in the summer, not many :) The closest pythons are, I suppose are in... Africa. Even if they were to fly here I think it would take 5 1/2 hours. I'm good with that.

I think I posted this one last year, a medium sized python trying to get in the house

Good lord Tol. Couldn't imagine walking by the doorwall and seeing that serpent sitting there. Would totally freak me out!!!!! I. Hate. Snakes. It may be on the outside looking in today, but tomorrow it may find a way inside. And the possibility of that happening would not allow me to sleep at night. Or walk around the house. Or go outside. I'd have to move. To the city, 10 stories up.

Thankful to live where there's snow and cold, climatic conditions that prevents those vile creatures from existing. I don't even want to look at that pic again. Gives me the willies. You got any more bunny paintings?

Edit add: Now cobra videos???????? Snake girl????? I'll get back with 'ya after a couple of pages have transpired.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Good lord Tol. Couldn't imagine walking by the doorwall and seeing that serpent sitting there. Would totally freak me out!!!!! I. Hate. Snakes. It may be on the outside looking in today, but tomorrow it may find a way inside. And the possibility of that happening would not allow me to sleep at night. Or walk around the house. Or go outside. I'd have to move. To the city, 10 stories up.

Thankful to live where there's snow and cold, climatic conditions that prevents those vile creatures from existing. I don't even want to look at that pic again. Gives me the willies. You got any more bunny paintings?

Edit add: Now cobra videos???????? Snake girl????? I'll get back with 'ya after a couple of pages have transpired.

Totally on board with your sentiments Fella and Sixty, lol.

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

This I don't understand... might as well swim with your pet piranhas, or play in your room with your pet fire ant farm...

[media=]

[/media]

What little time i was in an area where those things were,i was told that when the Cobra is standing,the head is ready to strike...meaning ..shoot it before

it does ! "if its crawling, you dont care...if its standing you don't dare "! That was the word !

I would get nervous just watching her with them...from about 10 feet away ! I had an encounter with one(about 10 feet away) on a hot

rare sunshiny morning . THAT can be a story for another day ! I think i aged five years in 10 seconds !

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

I'm with you guys. I am looking at the Florida move,and my friend down there tells me that the State now has a yearly python hunt,and i guess

they are paying for the dead snakes. Not too sure about that. We didn't discuss it that much. He sent pics several times over the last

several years. They now have some large ones in the state. I guess they are re-producing naturally down there.

It is the one thing i really am tentative about moving down there ,due to not being fond of snakes....at all. !

We were bass fishing at Reelfoot Lake , and a water moccasin dropped out of a pine tree and since we were the nearest dry area,he was coming at us.

Man i was happy i had installed that new heavy duty MotorGuide ! and he still kept following...and then after twenty minutes the battery is getting low...and

I started the outboard..and left him behind. As i pulled up to the dock....the friendly Ranger was already writing the ticket. I explained what

happened...He laughed...said he didn't blame me...and kept writing. That was a 150.00 bucks...Never went back to the lake.

Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

Giant pythons in Fla. Close encounters with killer cobras in S. E. Asia. A mad pursuit by a 10' long water moccasin in wherever the hell Reelfoot Lake is located. (Note to self. Whenever it's at, never fish that lake). Came back for a drive-by way to soon. Still creeped.

Anyone have anything golf related? This is still a golf forum, not the Wild Kingdom forum.

Why the ticket? Using an outboard on a trolling motor only lake? No wake zone violation? Hell, I'd make like Bill Muncey if I was being chased by serpents.

Lol yep trolling motor only...Reelfoot is on the Missouri/Tennessee border. It was formed naturally by the big Earthquakes in the winter of 1811/1812'

The Reelfoot river supposedly changed direction and and the lake was formed by the river flowing through the area , The Mississippi river was

recorded to have surged up like a wall reaching 25' high and then came crashing down...whole forest were torn down by the Quakes and the river surges...

Interesting history.

Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

These only bite if you are not careful, this one I went outside, picked it up and relocated it back into the Forrest at the bottom of out garden. They are not big enough to harm me unless I lie down with it and let it round my neck. My only concern with these is my chickens and dogs.

A funny story, I was visiting a friend who repairs televisions,we were in his workshop which is a converted shipping container out the back of his house, he turned around to look in the back and there was a very large python fast asleep in it, as he does not like snakes he finished up on the floor and would not move. I took it outside and released it into a tree. His daughter is a vetinarian and loves snakes, causes many fights in the house as she saves them and he wants to eliminate them.

Two houses ago we lived out bush and there were a large variety of snakes from green tree snakes which are not poisonous ,to the eastern brown which is one of the most venemouse in the world, just be careful outside and leave them alone and they go away.

Wildlife in Australia they either poison you or eat you.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

These only bite if you are not careful, this one I went outside, picked it up and relocated it back into the Forrest at the bottom of out garden. They are not big enough to harm me unless I lie down with it and let it round my neck. My only concern with these is my chickens and dogs.

A funny story, I was visiting a friend who repairs televisions,we were in his workshop which is a converted shipping container out the back of his house, he turned around to look in the back and there was a very large python fast asleep in it, as he does not like snakes he finished up on the floor and would not move. I took it outside and released it into a tree. His daughter is a vetinarian and loves snakes, causes many fights in the house as she saves them and he wants to eliminate them.

Two houses ago we lived out bush and there were a large variety of snakes from green tree snakes which are not poisonous ,to the eastern brown which is one of the most venemouse in the world, just be careful outside and leave them alone and they go away.

Wildlife in Australia they either poison you or eat you.

I am not shamed to admit that I do not like snakes ! The only way that one by your door would have made it to the woods would have been in pieces !

I was born and raised in quasi country/small town...i can feel quite comfortable in the woods. But.......i do not tolerate snakes ! and to all the

snake lovers in the Grille...you have my apologies...but not my cooperation as far as the serpents are concerned !

Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

Right, golf related.

Final round of the Australian PGA tournament is on free to air TV, starts in 1/2 hour, that is 11.am. Don’t know why they can’t start from first tee off only non interesting morning TV at present, turned off till the golf starts.

Once again I was surprised yesterday at the poor shot selection and the poor stroke completion, the outcome was so predictable. The current second place hit several medium irons into the green at least 20 yards to the right of the target, gives me hope for my initiation into the professional ranks. Conversely the leader a young player Cameron Smith has an awesome short game, his chips pitches and runs into the green have been spot on for the three days so far. He was one of the Australian pair that came second last week in the world golf challenge, his short game was what kept them up the top end.

Not long to go now untill I can have my golf fix, 32 mins untill the broadcast starts.

Sleep tight Grillers, stay sober. On second thoughts don’t stay sober, the world sometimes looks better through an alcoholic fog :lol:

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Bamas Hurts gets the karma payback of a lifetime ! In a good way. !

Bama / Clemson rematch on the way. Go SEC!

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Bamas Hurts gets the karma payback of a lifetime ! In a good way. !

Bama / Clemson rematch on the way. Go SEC!

I know. Amazing how that turned out! When Jalen came in I was hoping for that outcome, of course,

but to have it actually happen.........Georgia is one tough out. It seems the only way to beat them is

to pull a QB switch on them, lol. Almost a month before the playoffs start. Time for everyone to heal

up. I do feel bad for the Dawgs. That's 2 huge games against Bama that they lost in the final minutes

after being in control for most of the game.

Ya, it will probably be Bama and Clemson again. They gotta beat Notre Dame and we gotta beat Buckeyes

or Sooners............or maybe the Dawgs again. I think I'd rather we had to play Notre Dame. I just don't think

they're as good as the other 3 potential opponents.

SLED Gemini

yep... personally think it has to be Georgia in.. Georgia would own Ohio state .... But i know there is tons of politics involved, and money lost if 2 SEC teams are in .. I say that as a lifelong Gamecock, so no love for Georgia at all. lol

When Hurts came in i looked at my wife and said " thats bad for Georgia.... That guy has an axe to grind , and the kid wasnt doing anything anyway ...." i just had a feeling hed come in and light them up..

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

yep... personally think it has to be Georgia in.. Georgia would own Ohio state .... But i know there is tons of politics involved, and money lost if 2 SEC teams are in .. I say that as a lifelong Gamecock, so no love for Georgia at all. lol

When Hurts came in i looked at my wife and said " thats bad for Georgia.... That guy has an axe to grind , and the kid wasnt doing anything anyway ...." i just had a feeling hed come in and light them up..

You're right. If Georgia got in there would be he** to pay as 3 conferences would be sitting

on the sidelines; with ND being independent. If that happens look for a real push to an 8

team playoff.

SLED Gemini

Georgia had the game in hand. Right there for the winning up 28-14. Then Tua gets injured and...."Boom goes the dynamite". Jalen comes in and leads the team to a win. Got to admire the kid and appreciate the story. After last year, could have left the program. With eligibility remaining. Instead he decided to stay and be a "team" player. In this day and age, major props for the attitude. Ironic how karma has a way of coming full circle. NTM, what the hell was Kirby Smart thinking with the fake punt? Tied, late in the game, fourth and a bunch, from mid field......kick the ball. Try and pin Alabama deep and get a stop. Not serve up the game to them with a really stupid call.

Georgia may very well be one of the top four teams in the country. But no way they're getting into the playoffs with 2 losses. Not over one loss schools right behind them. Think the lineup is pretty clear. Alabama, Clemson are obvious. ND for reasons stated earlier (one can argue the validity, but they're undefeated). Fourth I believe will be Oklahoma (they could jump ND for the 3rd spot). They pulled away from Texas (#12) convincingly in the Big 12 'ship (a redemption win). A case could be made for OSU. However, between their 'ship win and Okie's, believe the latter has better eye appeal. Not enough for OSU to jump over OK into the 4th spot.

Not been an advocate for an 8 team playoff system. You would still have quibbling over who is the 8 - 10th best team, which is rather ludicrous. And would likely award automatic berths to Power 5 conference champions. Running the risk, like this year, where a Pac 12 champion is clearly not deserving. The current method is clear cut. Win, you're in. Lose, you're out (especially not winning a conference championship).

How I read the tea leaves.

Two of our rugby league team coaches decided they wanted to change club for 2020, both are still on contract for next year. One of the coaches said he would change a year early, the other one said no I want to honour my contract an finish up with the team as I still have work to do with them. Coach one still said he was willing to change early.

Talking about it to DW I said he wants to be dismissed so he can be paid out the rest of his contract, then join the other club and receive his salary so for 2019 he would be paid twice. The club fell for it dismissed him today so the coaches will change next year.

One said he would leave and so broke his contract terms, the other said he would stay was dismissed and so the club broke the contract, which one was clever?

The point being the coach being paid twice is over 60 so his coaching days are numbered, he was very clever to increase his pension fund.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Georgia had the game in hand. Right there for the winning up 28-14. Then Tua gets injured and...."Boom goes the dynamite". Jalen comes in and leads the team to a win. Got to admire the kid and appreciate the story. After last year, could have left the program. With eligibility remaining. Instead he decided to stay and be a "team" player. In this day and age, major props for the attitude. Ironic how karma has a way of coming full circle. NTM, what the hell was Kirby Smart thinking with the fake punt? Tied, late in the game, fourth and a bunch, from mid field......kick the ball. Try and pin Alabama deep and get a stop. Not serve up the game to them with a really stupid call.

Georgia may very well be one of the top four teams in the country. But no way they're getting into the playoffs with 2 losses. Not over one loss schools right behind them. Think the lineup is pretty clear. Alabama, Clemson are obvious. ND for reasons stated earlier (one can argue the validity, but they're undefeated). Fourth I believe will be Oklahoma (they could jump ND for the 3rd spot). They pulled away from Texas (#12) convincingly in the Big 12 'ship (a redemption win). A case could be made for OSU. However, between their 'ship win and Okie's, believe the latter has better eye appeal. Not enough for OSU to jump over OK into the 4th spot.

Not been an advocate for an 8 team playoff system. You would still have quibbling over who is the 8 - 10th best team, which is rather ludicrous. And would likely award automatic berths to Power 5 conference champions. Running the risk, like this year, where a Pac 12 champion is clearly not deserving. The current method is clear cut. Win, you're in. Lose, you're out (especially not winning a conference championship).

How I read the tea leaves.

Make sure the tea leaves are well brewed as they will give a false reading if undercooked, honest.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

I'm with you guys. I am looking at the Florida move,and my friend down there tells me that the State now has a yearly python hunt,and i guess

they are paying for the dead snakes. Not too sure about that. We didn't discuss it that much. He sent pics several times over the last

several years. They now have some large ones in the state. I guess they are re-producing naturally down there.

It is the one thing i really am tentative about moving down there ,due to not being fond of snakes....at all. !

We were bass fishing at Reelfoot Lake , and a water moccasin dropped out of a pine tree and since we were the nearest dry area,he was coming at us.

Man i was happy i had installed that new heavy duty MotorGuide ! and he still kept following...and then after twenty minutes the battery is getting low...and

I started the outboard..and left him behind. As i pulled up to the dock....the friendly Ranger was already writing the ticket. I explained what

happened...He laughed...said he didn't blame me...and kept writing. That was a 150.00 bucks...Never went back to the lake.

I would have taken that to court !! And I do not care how far up in the system I would have gone. I know it is only $150 but for me it is a matter of principal---- One of the reasons authorities can throw their weight around when they want to people do not challenge them.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

I would have taken that to court !! And I do not care how far up in the system I would have gone. I know it is only $150 but for me it is a matter of principal---- One of the reasons authorities can throw their weight around when they want to people do not challenge them.

Exactly the same with all Australian law enforcement, it’s not about being fair it’s about the income.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

I know what you mean, you just have to be careful. I was in the front yard and a pit bull with rabies came along, he was driving a car. He got out and was gonna eat me alive, but I offered to take him to Waffle House instead. Now we go every Saturday morning. He drives of course because I can't, and he gets little mad still, but he loves his waffles...

Anyone have anything golf related?

Sure. It's going to be 65* here in Ohio today, but that's the last of the decent weather. So going forward until spring, what does everyone do golf related thru the winter?

Besides being here at the Grille...Read golf books, mags, do you practice somewhere indoors like a Top Golf place? Practice putting, or chipping in the house with foam balls? Watch some kind of golf on tv? Buy clubs of equip. Do you still try to get out and play as long as the weather conditions are at a certain level?

Sitting in bed ready for sleep 10pm, still 84* tomorrow a little cooler than today forecast 97*.

Costco shopping for final Xmas bits.

Clearing a space in the shed in the afternoon for the fitness bike and treadmill, weights bench is ready to go. Both DW and myself needs fitness boost so the workouts begin, keep you all posted on the new me, well the new shape, nothing I can do about the deterioration starting to show round the gills etc.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Warmer here as well today, ~50*. But rainy, melting away the remainder of the snow. And hopefully the last of the ice that has built up in the driveway. It's very slippery the last few days, requiring careful stepping on the way out to the mailbox. Haven't been letting the Mrs. make the trek. The last thing either one of us needs is to slip and fall breaking something.

Holding out false hopes of one more trip to the course. Although I believe all of them are now closed. But one never knows. Have one that will open on short notice, provided the conditions are half way acceptable. Would be a soggy mess right now. Couple of years back, the last outing was on 12/15 in near 60* weather. We had a week long warm-up last year in late February, melting away all the snow cover. Played 9 on 2/28, there were a number of golfers out that day. Sun was out, walking made it quite pleasant. The only month of the year that I haven't played at golf at least once is January. Not that I'm going to play in frigid temps just to say I did. All depends on the climatic conditions on the day, but the go no go line is + 45*.

Usually by late January I'm ready to head to the local golf dome. Max distance shots are ~110 yards. But still enjoyable to hit some balls after the hiatus. Couple of heated ranges around that stay open, but not exactly nearby. And even with the propane heaters on, not all that warm. Especially one that faces to the west, into the prevailing breeze. The dome is a welcome mid-winter chance to swing a golf club. Usually have something new that I want to hit, try a few different clubs that are in inventory. Don't really "practice" anything in particular, more of an exercise in swatting a large bucket of balls for an hour or so. I know some prefer doing the SIM thing. But none are conveniently close, nor are they inexpensive to use for an hour solo. Plus, hitting into a screen 10' away is not my thing.

Seriously considering a change in the irons utilized for next year. Moving away from the i20's. Been reading about C-Dim, VCOG, MOI, RCOG, etc. (all Maltby MPF factors). My head has been spinning. But one stat does make some intuitive sense to be, actual vertical COG. Having something of a sweeper swing as opposed to a one more steeper in descent, a more suitable iron head may very well be one that has a COG below .840" (i.e. the centerline of a golf ball). To avoid the high on the face ball strike that results in a less then optimum ball strike. The i20 VCOG is .871, on the high side. Always felt that I have to "manipulate" the Pings (forward shaft lean, work the bounce, accentuate a downward swing angle) to get them to perform. Not adjusting to this results in the thinned shot all to frequently. By comparison, irons I enjoy hitting and do not have to manipulate in the same fashion are the '99 Hogans. Always seem to be able to get them up and away quite easily, rarely hitting them thin. And their VCOG is .783. Thus the mass is lower. Not wanting this one data point to be in isolation. But perhaps why I've struggled with one iron head and less so with another. Despite the Hogans being theoretically a more difficult head to play.

Have been testing a Maltby TE 7 iron all season. Super low VCOG at .675. No matter what shaft I installed (had four different in it at various times) always was significantly shorter that the i20 7 iron. Like nearly 10 yards. Hit moon shots with it. So the experiment was not successful, no need to pursue further. Been contemplating other Maltby heads in a higher range. They have two new heads out that are very modern. Hollow bodied, foam filled, modern lofts that's been getting lots of discussion (and evaluation commentary) in the equipment forum. As good if not better than the OEM stuff that is being introduced. So thinking about deciding on a head (TS-1?) and trialing it at the dome this off-season. Just that $50 per head is on the pricey side for a component head.

Part of all this is to move into a set that I'll refer to as my "old man's" implements. Easier to swing, more forgiving, stronger lofted SGI irons. That do not look like SGI. And shafting up with lightweight graphite shafts. Hit some of the OEM offerings at the LGS with ~ 70 gram graphite shafts just to see if I'd like them, maintain control. No problem, they felt wonderful. Easy to swing. Did not feel excessively light. So I bought a Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Red shaft ($13.50 cheap) and installed it in the TE head. No problem issue with control, still short (head issue conclusion). I liked the shaft a lot. There was a 15% off everything sale on eBay recently, bought the reminder needed. They're perfectly adequate graphite iron shafts (for my skill set) and a bargain at $11.50 per. So that decision has been made, now trying to figure out what head to utilize. The game plan was/is to sell off the i20's (plus some additional unused implements) and move on to something else for minimal net capital outlay.

Trying to figure this out not only for creating a playable set today, but also one that remains useful as I transition further along in the aging process. Easier to swing, more forgiving as I hit the ball in less than optimum position. Perhaps my last set of "new" irons. A 10 year useful lifespan would be ideal. Taking me out to 77, after which, who knows.

Maybe somewhere along the way, work up the courage to take a lesson or two. Since you asked. This is what's on my golf related mind.

Make that four of us! I'm quite happy to deal with the cold and the snow rather than 102* heat near Christmas and pythons!

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Anyone have anything golf related?

Sure. It's going to be 65* here in Ohio today, but that's the last of the decent weather. So going forward until spring, what does everyone do golf related thru the winter?

Besides being here at the Grille...Read golf books, mags, do you practice somewhere indoors like a Top Golf place? Practice putting, or chipping in the house with foam balls? Watch some kind of golf on tv? Buy clubs of equip. Do you still try to get out and play as long as the weather conditions are at a certain level?

Used to do most of those things in our golf off-season. This year l'm more interested in getting out of golf club acquisitions.

Was talking to a young fellow yesterday afternoon who is just getting into the game and looking for a nice set. Promoted my frontline set of Pings/Titleist as a good choice for him. I have his attention, so maybe something will firm on that front while we are out here as this fellow is my son's coworker.

Other than that I've been thinking about doing some mods on my road bike to make it a bit more rider friendly taking into consideration my new realities.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

You're right. If Georgia got in there would be he** to pay as 3 conferences would be sitting

on the sidelines; with ND being independent. If that happens look for a real push to an 8

team playoff.

They need to make it 8. This lie that the “best 4” teams get in is old. Georgia beats Oklahoma or Ohio state 8 out of 10 I’m sure. Oklahoma’s defense is not sec ready. Georgia has a top 5 offense and defense. And their D line owned Alabama for 3 quarters . And strength of schedule ? Please. It’s not close. Especially when talking Oklahoma. I mean. Texas. That’s equal to Tennessee or maybe Kentucky. Maybe.

People don’t like to hear that. But it’s the truth. Georgia is conference champs in any of the power conferences this year minus Bama. Clemson would need a top level game to beat them. And I literally can’t stand Georgia. Fans almost as rabid as Tiger fans.

My 4 is

1. Alabama

2. Clemson

3. Georgia

4. ND.

And I’ve got almost even odds on the first 3 winning it all.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Warmer here as well today, ~50*. But rainy, melting away the remainder of the snow. And hopefully the last of the ice that has built up in the driveway. It's very slippery the last few days, requiring careful stepping on the way out to the mailbox. Haven't been letting the Mrs. make the trek. The last thing either one of us needs is to slip and fall breaking something.

Holding out false hopes of one more trip to the course. Although I believe all of them are now closed. But one never knows. Have one that will open on short notice, provided the conditions are half way acceptable. Would be a soggy mess right now. Couple of years back, the last outing was on 12/15 in near 60* weather. We had a week long warm-up last year in late February, melting away all the snow cover. Played 9 on 2/28, there were a number of golfers out that day. Sun was out, walking made it quite pleasant. The only month of the year that I haven't played at golf at least once is January. Not that I'm going to play in frigid temps just to say I did. All depends on the climatic conditions on the day, but the go no go line is + 45*.

Usually by late January I'm ready to head to the local golf dome. Max distance shots are ~110 yards. But still enjoyable to hit some balls after the hiatus. Couple of heated ranges around that stay open, but not exactly nearby. And even with the propane heaters on, not all that warm. Especially one that faces to the west, into the prevailing breeze. The dome is a welcome mid-winter chance to swing a golf club. Usually have something new that I want to hit, try a few different clubs that are in inventory. Don't really "practice" anything in particular, more of an exercise in swatting a large bucket of balls for an hour or so. I know some prefer doing the SIM thing. But none are conveniently close, nor are they inexpensive to use for an hour solo. Plus, hitting into a screen 10' away is not my thing.

Seriously considering a change in the irons utilized for next year. Moving away from the i20's. Been reading about C-Dim, VCOG, MOI, RCOG, etc. (all Maltby MPF factors). My head has been spinning. But one stat does make some intuitive sense to be, actual vertical COG. Having something of a sweeper swing as opposed to a one more steeper in descent, a more suitable iron head may very well be one that has a COG below .840" (i.e. the centerline of a golf ball). To avoid the high on the face ball strike that results in a less then optimum ball strike. The i20 VCOG is .871, on the high side. Always felt that I have to "manipulate" the Pings (forward shaft lean, work the bounce, accentuate a downward swing angle) to get them to perform. Not adjusting to this results in the thinned shot all to frequently. By comparison, irons I enjoy hitting and do not have to manipulate in the same fashion are the '99 Hogans. Always seem to be able to get them up and away quite easily, rarely hitting them thin. And their VCOG is .783. Thus the mass is lower. Not wanting this one data point to be in isolation. But perhaps why I've struggled with one iron head and less so with another. Despite the Hogans being theoretically a more difficult head to play.

Have been testing a Maltby TE 7 iron all season. Super low VCOG at .675. No matter what shaft I installed (had four different in it at various times) always was significantly shorter that the i20 7 iron. Like nearly 10 yards. Hit moon shots with it. So the experiment was not successful, no need to pursue further. Been contemplating other Maltby heads in a higher range. They have two new heads out that are very modern. Hollow bodied, foam filled, modern lofts that's been getting lots of discussion (and evaluation commentary) in the equipment forum. As good if not better than the OEM stuff that is being introduced. So thinking about deciding on a head (TS-1?) and trialing it at the dome this off-season. Just that $50 per head is on the pricey side for a component head.

Part of all this is to move into a set that I'll refer to as my "old man's" implements. Easier to swing, more forgiving, stronger lofted SGI irons. That do not look like SGI. And shafting up with lightweight graphite shafts. Hit some of the OEM offerings at the LGS with ~ 70 gram graphite shafts just to see if I'd like them, maintain control. No problem, they felt wonderful. Easy to swing. Did not feel excessively light. So I bought a Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Red shaft ($13.50 cheap) and installed it in the TE head. No problem issue with control, still short (head issue conclusion). I liked the shaft a lot. There was a 15% off everything sale on eBay recently, bought the reminder needed. They're perfectly adequate graphite iron shafts (for my skill set) and a bargain at $11.50 per. So that decision has been made, now trying to figure out what head to utilize. The game plan was/is to sell off the i20's (plus some additional unused implements) and move on to something else for minimal net capital outlay.

Trying to figure this out not only for creating a playable set today, but also one that remains useful as I transition further along in the aging process. Easier to swing, more forgiving as I hit the ball in less than optimum position. Perhaps my last set of "new" irons. A 10 year useful lifespan would be ideal. Taking me out to 77, after which, who knows.

Maybe somewhere along the way, work up the courage to take a lesson or two. Since you asked. This is what's on my golf related mind.

Fella, plan well past 77, us young older guys will be hitting them into our 90s.

I also hope 77 is not the age because I only have six months to get there.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)