Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

@Sean2  Bravo Sean!!!  That's mad distances in one week.  And 27 miles in one day?  Tired me out just contemplating.  Congratulations on achieving a personal goal.  You can now take this week off.  

Curious on what shoes you're wearing.  In need of replacing my walking/exercise shoes and haven't been all that enamored with what I've been trying on.  Many of the toe boxes are too narrow and tight fitting.  Many researched are essentially running shoes, not sure if that's what I'm after.   

• Like 4

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

2 hours ago, Conrad1953 said:

You essentially walked a little over a marathon in just under 9 hours. Well done. I used to wear a watch

that counted my steps but it started to rule my life. I found myself pushing a shopping cart in the store

with only my right hand so my left hand could move and my steps would count. Instead of carrying

things with 2 hands I would just carry with my hand right hand so the left could move and the steps

count. 

One day when I was raking leaves my watch gave me about 15,000 steps even though I never left

the yard; all arm movement. Watches aren't real good for this I learned + they don't account for

going up and down hills, ambient temperature outside, your weight, etc.; all things that affect

calories burned.

My guess is that since you're really into this you are using something more accurate than a watch.

I'm curious now because I'm thinking of starting walking myself. We live on a steep hill and there's

also a nature trail here in addition to the road. Many people walk up and down the hill and on the 

trail here. The local high school football team comes here and does drills on the hill.

We can get in plenty of exercise walking right here at home and not have to go anywhere so it's

convenient that way. I'd like to buy us something more accurate and with more stats than a watch

so I'm curious what you are using.

I use a FitBit Inspire. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of some of the other FitBits, but it does what I need it to do. My previous FitBit also calculated stairs climbed. The one I have does steps, calories, active minutes, miles walked, and heart rate (my resting heart rate is now 58 BPM). It has some other features as well. You can get them on Amazon for $69. If I needed one right now, I would probably get the FitBit Charge 4. Those were originally $149, but are now $99 on Amazon. My previous FitBit went kaput after a couple of years, so I opted for the less expensive model. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sean2 said:

I use a FitBit Inspire. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of some of the other FitBits, but it does what I need it to do. My previous FitBit also calculated stairs climbed. The one I have does steps, calories, active minutes, miles walked, and heart rate (my resting heart rate is now 58 BPM). It has some other features as well. You can get them on Amazon for $69. If I needed one right now, I would probably get the FitBit Charge 4. Those were originally $149, but are now $99 on Amazon. My previous FitBit went kaput after a couple of years, so I opted for the less expensive model. 

We also tend to buy the lesser expensive options as now they deliberately build them to fail. I worked in the car industry for many years and built in obsolescence was the norm, this was way back in the 60s. This all came about when the Japanese car industry started to impact in the UK, then the cars were built to last forever but the Japanese did a test on every item to deliberately make it as small, thin, or fragile as possible. so that it would work initially without failing in the warranty period. Look at how many products you can purchase now that fail just after the warranty is up, this is NOT a coincidence it is planned.

Edit, they called it value engineering.

🤨

Edited by tolmij
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

1 hour ago, Sean2 said:

So it is a watch. Thanks for the answer. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

Just goes to show you how shifty marketing can be:

For a while now I've been looking for a reusable mask with a relief valve in the hopes that it might be more effective than the paper masks I have been using while curling.  Because you're active while playing game, the masks get wet and glasses are constantly fogging due to heavy breathing as a result of sweeping.  About two weeks ago I ran across an advertisement on FB for such a mask that came with replaceable paper filters.  They were $15 each so I ordered two  to give them a try.

They arrived yesterday.  When I opened the mailer, one was complete, but the other was lacking the relief valve.  Of greater concern was that these masks and filters were all made in China.  There wasn't any English to be found anywhere.  No wonder they took so long to arrive!

This business was called Smartguard Canada.  Turns out it's a marketing unit for a Chinese manufacturer.  At no point did they admit as much, but when I looked at the online material there is nothing stating clearly made in Canada. so I guess it's another case of buyer beware.  I wrote them a nasty email with pictures and they responded in less than an hour that they would be sending along a replacement mask.

I suppose I'll wash the one good mask I have and give it a try this week to see if it is an improvement.  Now that I have them I'll be honest; my expectations aren't high.  I guess that's the problem with relying on on-line purchases.  The marketing material is always better looking than the actual item in a lot of cases.

• Like 4

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

12 hours ago, tolmij said:

We also tend to buy the lesser expensive options as now they deliberately build them to fail. I worked in the car industry for many years and built in obsolescence was the norm, this was way back in the 60s. This all came about when the Japanese car industry started to impact in the UK, then the cars were built to last forever but the Japanese did a test on every item to deliberately make it as small, thin, or fragile as possible. so that it would work initially without failing in the warranty period. Look at how many products you can purchase now that fail just after the warranty is up, this is NOT a coincidence it is planned.

Edit, they called it value engineering.

🤨

Yikes! Color me naive...I had no idea. That is a bit disheartening to read. 😑

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Fellaheen51 said:

At least you received something.  The Mrs. ordered a couple items from a FB inclusion ad months ago and never received them.  With no method to cancel the order or get her money back (~ $40.00).  Advised her to NEVER ordering anything off a random FB product ad.  Stick to online sourcing that has a means to cancel and/or return a product.  And shipped from a domestic source, whether U.S. or Canada.  

Trying to find NIOSH N95 Respirator masks is an impossible endeavor.  They're directed for front-line personnel, not to the general public.  Read up on the difference between N95 and KN95 masks to determine if it makes a difference to you.  Plus the concern that the respirator part doesn't have the proper particulate filtration requirement. 

Have one Sperian (Honeywell) NIOSH respirator mask on hand.  Have used it for years when doing sanding work.  No idea on effectiveness.  I was using it early on, before masks were deemed necessary.  Good coverage but a bit clumsy (double strap) when slipping it on while out and about.  

Like all of us, we have accumulated an assortment of different masks.  Have a couple that I wear with regularity.  Satisfactory fit and coverage on my face.  Decent breathability while out in the public doing normal tasks like grocery shopping.  Although they do fog the glasses, especially now that it's become colder.  Since I don't need to wear glasses to have functional sight, gotten to the point that I routinely take them off while wearing a mask.  Really only need them for driving and following the flight of a golf ball.  Hope it's sufficient to offer adequate protection agains the vid.  

I just use a standard blue mask you see at most medical facilities. Then again, the only exposure I have to people is when I am playing golf (and I tend to play with the same group), or the rare occasion I go to the store. 

• Like 4

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)