For those that have applied the GG pivot

Kuuuch

So just had a very quick session on the range attempting to implement this method.

Hit some very good shots that were pure and straight, and a lot of terrible shots (mostly chunks).

I was struggling to get everything in sync and struggled with the concept of leaving the hands up, but the signs were promising and I really want to give it a proper go.

A question to those who have implemented this move/method...

At what point did you take it to the course?

At first were you working on it only on the range but reverting to your normal swing on the course? Was it just a case of hitting thousands of balls until it came natural, or was there a point where you said right I'm happy and confident with it now, I'm going to use this pivot in my next round.

My guess is that a "quick range session" might not be sufficient time to implement a method. I'm not sure there's enough public info out there to do it properly so unless you are on the private pay site or go see GG, I think "never" would be the best time to take it to the course.

So just had a very quick session on the range attempting to implement this method.

Hit some very good shots that were pure and straight, and a lot of terrible shots (mostly chunks).

I was struggling to get everything in sync and struggled with the concept of leaving the hands up, but the signs were promising and I really want to give it a proper go.

At first were you working on it only on the range but reverting to your normal swing on the course? Was it just a case of hitting thousands of balls until it came natural, or was there a point where you said right I'm happy and confident with it now, I'm going to use this pivot in my next round.

My guess is that a "quick range session" might not be sufficient time to implement a method. I'm not sure there's enough public info out there to do it properly so unless you are on the private pay site or go see GG, I think "never" would be the best time to take it to the course.

I didn't say a quick range session was sufficient time to implement it.

I am a member of his site.

Thanks for your encouragement.

What are the benefits of the freezer drill ?

Not pulling the handle and start transition correct

Yep easier to work on just getting a motion down as well.

I feel like I could make a change in backswing , then pause at the top and change my thinking towards the transition move I am trying to achieve

I like what I am hearing from GG definitely think this is the key to fixing my right hip move and release

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Mizuno S18 5310+5812/PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

Lofts 18 , 21.5, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 58

Maybe this is a question for a teacher but doesn't rotation squares up a closed club face no? Like if your club face is open you can't rotate and have to stall to square it up so doesn't that mean rotating opens it?

I think you're right, because DJs club face is super closed and he's really open at impact. I got that wrong above.

To me DJ club at the top backswing is square. it matches the position he sets his hands and wrists. As long as your club matches your wrists you are in typically good spot.

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

Maybe this is a question for a teacher but doesn't rotation squares up a closed club face no? Like if your club face is open you can't rotate and have to stall to square it up so doesn't that mean rotating opens it?

I think you're right, because DJs club face is super closed and he's really open at impact. I got that wrong above.

To me DJ club at the top backswing is square. it matches the position he sets his hands and wrists. As long as your club matches your wrists you are in typically good spot.

I'm not sure I follow. DJs clubface is closed to the path at the top. How do you match your wrists to your clubface?

I haven't had a chance to hit balls yet while making some of the changes that have been inspired by GG's stuff (which I think is making it easier to change the motor patterns), but my club and body are in positions that I have been unsuccessfully trying to get them in in the past.

I've always like the concept that you don't just chase positions or looks for their own sake. But when you've seen a lot of golf swings, you begin to see some similarities in even some very idiosyncratic swings, so you know you probably have to move your swing in certain directions. Not for the look itself, but for what the look represents in terms of club movement, and ball flight.

I've never been able to get my club very shallow at all, and I've never been able to rotate very well at all on the downswing. I can now. With the biggest irony being that it takes me back to the natural high-hands, across-the-line backswing that I've been moving away from in order to shallow my downswing out (to no avail).

My goal is to keep working on the feels that are helping me achieve this stuff, at home, and then try to take that new motor pattern to the range once my surgical recovery is complete. I'm cautiously optimistic.

The problem with you BP is that your too shy and afraid to speak your mind....

You are welcome good sir. If you are on his site, why not ask him? Fwiw I don't think you are just going to be able to flip a switch and use the pivot or flip a switch and turn it off. Once you start practicing it, it's going to become part of your swing, whether you want it to or not. It usually takes time, probably a few months.

Seems very similar to Mike emerys book especially the transition move with the lower body . Anyone else notice this ?

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Mizuno S18 5310+5812/PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

Lofts 18 , 21.5, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 58

You are welcome good sir. If you are on his site, why not ask him? Fwiw I don't think you are just going to be able to flip a switch and use the pivot or flip a switch and turn it off. Once you start practicing it, it's going to become part of your swing, whether you want it to or not. It usually takes time, probably a few months.

In case any are wondering, he doesn't really post much in private Facebook group. Kinda disappointing.....

Yep not really something you can think about on the course but I like that, keeps the swing thoughts away.

Here's a freezer from yesterday. Still a lot to work on but very easy to shallow the shaft with GG's pivot.

Kuchhhhhh, that motion looks great. I'm curious about the club under your trail foot? Is that to help you sit into the right side or keep you from lifting with right foot to soon? Any details you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dbogey

Ping G400 Tour S
Ping G400 14.5
Ping G 19*
Ping G 22*
Ping I200 5-P (PXLZ 5.5)
Power spec
Vokey 50,54,58

Odyssey 3T P2 GP Tour Snsr Stright

Here's a freezer from yesterday. Still a lot to work on but very easy to shallow the shaft with GG's pivot.

Kuchhhhhh, that motion looks great. I'm curious about the club under your trail foot? Is that to help you sit into the right side or keep you from lifting with right foot to soon? Any details you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dbogey

I appreciate it! Still a big work in progress but yes the club under the back foot is to try and keep it down longer. Also helps with getting the weight off the toes in transition. I saw GG use it one of his videos and I like it.

Been doing a lot of legwork and trying to keep hands passive (a very aggressive arm puller here). Really hard to get into rotation when the arms pull. Keeping arms and especially hands passive is a huge challenge for me. I haven't been able to go see George in person and only have a membership to the site, so hopefully the guys who have can maybe validate a couple swing thoughts that I've had recently.

I was able to simplify it a bit for myself by thinking about the following on the transition/downswing. Rotation + Ulnar Deviation. I've found that if my hands absolutely have to do something, then they should ulnar deviate. Combine this with the rotation of the body and you end up with the clubface square at impact. If you slide and ulnar deviate, multitudes of compensations have to occur to even come close to hitting the ball correctly. So rotation + ulnar deviation seems to work for me. I've found as I've kept working that I can really keep the arms passive and ulnar deviate late if I rotate properly.

Not sure if this helps some of the arm pullers, but really focus on doing something else with the hands as opposed to the arms (ulnar deviate) and that should hopefully quiet the arms.

Mavrik 10.5 Project X Riptide 6.5 Small Batch

Sim 17 Ventus Red 7X

Sim Hybrid 21 Ventus Blue 9X

3-5 P770  KBS C-taper 120

6-PW Blueprint KBS C-taper 125 ssx1

52,56,60 MG3 TW DG S400

GCQuad/SwingCatalyst/FLIR Blackfly/Fiberbuilt/Carl's Place DIY

Boom. Go check out his latest backyard

Can anyone speak to why a lot of his players get that steep/across the line look on the backswing? It's very noticable on his students Ruiz and Wolff, and they're not exactly hackers (saw Wolff committed to OkState).

Awesome stuff!

Ping G400 Tour S
Ping G400 14.5
Ping G 19*
Ping G 22*
Ping I200 5-P (PXLZ 5.5)
Power spec
Vokey 50,54,58

Odyssey 3T P2 GP Tour Snsr Stright

My pivot has just started to feel really comfortable and consistent starting about 3 weeks ago. By that, I really mean leaving the arms up and trusting the pivot to power the ball. When I leave the arms up and pivot, it feels like my right shoulder and right hip get to the ball well before the clubhead. It really feels exactly like David Duval looks. I noticed Andrew Landry looked similar coming through impact this week. It is hard to get rid of the pulling action with the arms, but I have finally over come it.

The ball flight for me is really about how I setup and if I want to draw it or fade it. I rarely miss right now. My miss is almost always due to setup I have found. I get into a tendency to aim too far left.

Distance, my irons are longer as is the driver than previous. I can hit some stupid distances now if I want with the irons. I have flown some 7 irons 200 yards under the right conditions lately. I hit a hybrid off of the tee a couple of weeks ago at a course I have never played before into the hazard twice, once when the fairway ran out at 270 and the next at 275.

There is a reason George's guys are hammering on his insta and on his website. At first I though there distances were wacked or his TM was jacked. Now I don't. When you get the pivot correct, you deloft the club and create some crazy speed. The weird thing is for me, I was under this misunderstanding that you had to spin and turn really hard. You actually don't. I practice by starting out pivoting really slow and making sure my arms are slower. I will hit little 8 irons 75 yards to make sure I am leaving my arms behind and slower than the pivot.

@PJ - Feel vs real but for me it feels like 60% goes into my right side during transition but GG constantly says it should be 50-50 or maybe 60-40 left when you get to P6.

Heath do you use the freezer drill for driver?

Worked on the legwork over the last 2 weeks and I hit the irons great. 3 really good shots straight at the flag and felt compressed. My only issue was with the driver. I normally hit it straight or pull/pull-draw. Everything was going to the right on me. I played 9 holes on a tough course and push fades did not help my score.

Any good pointers with the driver? I tend to get my head sliding forward which may be the issue. I think I was able to stay more centered with the irons but not with driver.

TaylorMade R11 9* Driver
TaylorMade R11S 3-Wood 15*
TaylorMade 18* Hybrid
Titleist 21* Hybrid
Bridgestone J40CB 5-PW
TaylorMade 52* Wedge
TaylorMade 58* Wedge
TaylorMade Rossa Fortana Putter

Worked on the legwork over the last 2 weeks and I hit the irons great. 3 really good shots straight at the flag and felt compressed. My only issue was with the driver. I normally hit it straight or pull/pull-draw. Everything was going to the right on me. I played 9 holes on a tough course and push fades did not help my score.

Any good pointers with the driver? I tend to get my head sliding forward which may be the issue. I think I was able to stay more centered with the irons but not with driver.

Earlier in the thread, they were talking about having the face turned down a bit at the last parallel. This may be something you need to check with driver. If you're naturally toe-up at this point, you probably need to either strengthen your grip, or actively turn the face down in order to have a square face sooner in the downswing.

I have a pretty strong left hand grip (right handed) so probably subconsciously I may be trying to prevent a hook. I might weaken it a little and then close it on the way down.

TaylorMade R11 9* Driver
TaylorMade R11S 3-Wood 15*
TaylorMade 18* Hybrid
Titleist 21* Hybrid
Bridgestone J40CB 5-PW
TaylorMade 52* Wedge
TaylorMade 58* Wedge
TaylorMade Rossa Fortana Putter

It's been my experience as I implement this pivot/swing method that posture, setup, and alignment are incredibly crucial to pure strikes. If my setup is off, I leak out to the right just like you're describing. Sometimes I feel like I get dumped under and I'll block out to the right.

Typically, for me, if I hit a push/fade with driver it's due to an abbreviated shoulder rotation in the BS. I've had to overcome a serious OTT move and casting...my teaching pro told me to focus on a single swing thought - full left shoulder turn over strong right leg. When I concentrate on this, I can then transition to a "down and around" thought for the left knee to get GGs pivot working for me.

Definitely a work in process. But when I'm at the course, I don't think much about the pivot. Just swing. I believe the old adage is "run with whatcha brung."

I decided to go ahead and get a online lesson. Sent some swings last week hope he can help.
Does George do online lessons personally?

Haven't had the lesson yet myself. Just sent the money and the videos, waiting impatiently haha.

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

Went on the range yesterday and focused on the pivot and not trying to manipulate the club. Got a tip from a member his private fb group to do some freezers but only try to hit the ball 30-50% speed and feel some left forearm rotation in the transition. Thinking along the same lines on what HStead posted that you don't have to open up hips quickly in order to shallow the club.

Shallowed the club for the first time in my life! Lol still have a long ways to go when trying to hit it full speed but seeing myself shallow it for the first time gives me some hope :)