For those that have applied the GG pivot

Kuuuch

Throwing in my 2 cents. I am definitely not an expert like Hstead and some of the other people who have take lessons directly from GG. When working on GG's pivot my missing piece was getting the club face "square" in the downswing. My face was open in the downswing and that was making me stall and throw my hands. If I did not stall or throw the club would be wide open at impact. For me I have to feel like my club face is very shut on the downswing and then it is easier to pivot without stall.

This might have been mentioned a couple times in the thread and in some of the GG videos but could be easily overlooked.

So how did you square the club on the downswing?

Curious about this as well. Would you not have to bow the left wrist earlier in the down swing? This is a shallowing move as well, yet GG says he prefers to shallow naturally.

Throwing in my 2 cents. I am definitely not an expert like Hstead and some of the other people who have take lessons directly from GG. When working on GG's pivot my missing piece was getting the club face "square" in the downswing. My face was open in the downswing and that was making me stall and throw my hands. If I did not stall or throw the club would be wide open at impact. For me I have to feel like my club face is very shut on the downswing and then it is easier to pivot without stall.

This might have been mentioned a couple times in the thread and in some of the GG videos but could be easily overlooked.

Excellent point. I had trouble at first because the face was open, and when it's open you are going to either stall or hit it straight right. The earlier I feel I get it closed the easier it is to rotate.

You pointed this out in my parallel left arm thread where you noticed my clubface pretty open at the top.Cause and effect is how you worded it.I will say that it does seem that if the face is square to the path it promotes better sequencing and body rotation.It certainly doesn't fix everything,but when you can feel the face in a square position,it makes rotating easier.

Curious about this as well. Would you not have to bow the left wrist earlier in the down swing? This is a shallowing move as well, yet GG says he prefers to shallow naturally.

For me it was as simple as strengthening my grip a hair and focusing on right wrist bend in the backswing

Heath, Kuchhhhhh, and others that have been working on this for awhile. What part is the most difficult to execute? I'm an old guy and find that rotating from P6 to P8 is not easy. My left hip flexor feels tight. Maybe I need to stretch more. Is the move from P6 to P8 an aggressive rotation of the core and moving from flexion to extension ("kicking up")?

For me it was as simple as strengthening my grip a hair and focusing on right wrist bend in the backswing

Anyway you could expand on that? Right wrist extension?

Three things

1) Slightly stronger grip

2) Keep a flat to bowed left wrist. My left wrist is usually just a hair cupped.

3) Feel like I am pointing the club face more at the ground on my downswing.

It feels like I am going to hit a 40 yard pull hook when I do this but if I rotate properly it is a baby draw. If I don't rotate then it is an over draw.

pretty good video here of some old timers, someone else had posted this video before and I thought it was good. They had some of the best pivots back then, can see snead towards the end. Seems like they all have alot of right side bend into the shot, esp snead.

I think the swings back then had way more body movement.Whether it was the equipment or just less evolved knowledge is a mystery to me.Personally I think Jackie Burkes move is just as good as Hogans.Something that was universal about most of their swings was a deep takeaway with a handpath in transition that went over the backswing path.There is no doubt about it.Just my opinion.

Anyway you could expand on that? Right wrist extension?

Yes. Stronger grip while making sure i had enough right wrist extension on the takeaway got me to p6 with the face slightly closed without having to think about it on the downswing.

Heath, Kuchhhhhh, and others that have been working on this for awhile. What part is the most difficult to execute? I'm an old guy and find that rotating from P6 to P8 is not easy. My left hip flexor feels tight. Maybe I need to stretch more. Is the move from P6 to P8 an aggressive rotation of the core and moving from flexion to extension ("kicking up")?

The toughest part for me is getting my chest and shoulders to rotate properly. Something I'm still working on, Heath does a great job of that. Makes it a lot easier to square up the face and not leave it open.

Maybe this is a question for a teacher but doesn't rotation squares up a closed club face no? Like if your club face is open you can't rotate and have to stall to square it up so doesn't that mean rotating opens it?

I think you're right, because DJs club face is super closed and he's really open at impact. I got that wrong above.

Great thread, lots of very informative posts.

I tried to implement the GG pivot a few months ago. I started to get the leg movements working quite nicely, but ballstriking wasn't great and I was hitting it left and right.

I then tried to focus on leaving the arms up. Felt very peculiar, very unnatural, and felt like I would barely be able to hit the ball more than 100 yards. But to my surprise it was long, high and straight.

Unfortunately I didn't have much time to practice it, and didn't want to take it to the course with what little practice I'd had on it, so I kind of left it there and haven't gone back to hit.

Some of those shots where I was pivoting and leaving the arms up were amongst the purest I've ever hit, so this thread has inspired me to go back to this method and really put some time into it.

Maybe this is a question for a teacher but doesn't rotation squares up a closed club face no? Like if your club face is open you can't rotate and have to stall to square it up so doesn't that mean rotating opens it?

I think you're right, because DJs club face is super closed and he's really open at impact. I got that wrong above.

As GG is always saying, there is more than one way to do it. DJ's club face is quite closed at the top (super-flexed left wrist) and this position appears to help him shallow his shaft on the downswing with good pivot/rotation. IMO, DJ gets the club face back closer to square at impact by lessening his left wrist flex during his downswing.

As GG is always saying, there is more than one way to do it. DJ's club face is quite closed at the top (super-flexed left wrist) and this position appears to help him shallow his shaft on the downswing with good pivot/rotation. IMO, DJ gets the club face back closer to square at impact by lessening his left wrist flex during his downswing.

But either way to open up at impact you have to have a square-closed clubface. I believe GG mentioned it in one of his videos somewhere. Just trying to make sure I understand things since it sometimes gets talked about being the other way.

IMO, DJ gets the club face back closer to square at impact by lessening his left wrist flex during his downswing.

Yep. Hips are rotated wide open at impact but not because his left wrist is hyperflexed.

I imagine it has at least a little to do with it no? Everything is a product of where you were before and if he was more square I imagine he would end up hitting everything left right?

I think that this is an essential part of the GG pivot. If the club face is open in the downswing you will probably have to stand up or cast to square the face.

I like a lot of his ideas and his way will make it easier to make the changes I've been told I should make .

Is the head lowering in the backswing a big no no with GG then? I notice hogan did it, but it would make it harder to increase the hip flexion ?

To summarise his hip ideas it is to keep the right leg in external rotation and increase flexion slightly whilst the left leg goes into flexion and external rotation and the pelvis rotates ? Seems like the leg work is crucial to getting the hips to rotate

Most of the old timers heads did drop, George expects it to.

If right arm is bent at impact with the handle of the shaft is on the front foot at impact your body has to drop. That equals more deloft and more distance with same speed.

Been following this thread for a while and dabbled with trying to implement the GG pivot. I am going to put some serious effort in now to fully implement it over the next few weeks( months?). For those who were able to get the move down how much did you practice it? Did you only work on it at home or the range or did you try and take it to the course quickly?

For me I think my previous efforts were very flawed because I was really just focused on the left knee going external. For me just having the left knee go external is not the entire picture and is more of a result of other things. When I take it to the top and stop, then force my hands to stay up( in slow motion) as I think about opening my entire body up( not just the left knee) I get a really good feeling. It's kind of a feeling of my hands staying up causes a really tight rubber band stretch in my whole body that can be unleashed without a stall flip. When I forcefully leave the hands up in Slo motion and try and open the body up the left knee goes external and the right elbow goes external ( shallowing the club) as a way for my body to release some of the tension caused from leaving my arms up so long. Long post but that's as far as I have gotten with the pivot.

What I'm finding is I can't actually think about shallowing the club during a full speed swing. If I do, it's no good at all. I have 2 swing thoughts - 1. full shoulder turn, 2. begin DS with down & around left knee.

For this to work, for me, I'm using no throws & freezers as well as slow motion exaggerated pivot to begin the downswing all the way to P6. Over and over and over.

Does any one find that when they try to manipulate the shallowing of the club in transition that they top the ball or even hit way on the heel or even on the hosel?

Using GG's method leads to a naturally shallowed shaft with the correct pivot. No manipulation necessar. If you do his pivot correct you will be shallowed no question

Does any one find that when they try to manipulate the shallowing of the club in transition that they top the ball or even hit way on the heel or even on the hosel?

I have. New swing pattern is going to change how the club is delivered and how far you should be from the ball. If you've been standing too close the the ball, all you can do is come OTT. If you come from the inside and standing the same distance, you'll hit some spectacular shanks. Monte has a good video on YouTube on distance from the ball.

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

So just had a very quick session on the range attempting to implement this method.

Hit some very good shots that were pure and straight, and a lot of terrible shots (mostly chunks).

I was struggling to get everything in sync and struggled with the concept of leaving the hands up, but the signs were promising and I really want to give it a proper go.

A question to those who have implemented this move/method...

At what point did you take it to the course?

At first were you working on it only on the range but reverting to your normal swing on the course? Was it just a case of hitting thousands of balls until it came natural, or was there a point where you said right I'm happy and confident with it now, I'm going to use this pivot in my next round.