For those that have applied the GG pivot

Kuuuch

What worked for me was the feeling of turning my left knee towards the target and flexing my right knee while doing nothing with my hands until past the ball. It feels like I am hitting the ball with my right hip and shoulder basically. A big piece for me as well is the feeling of jumping up with my hips. This releases the club for me without any kind of manipulation.

TaylorMade R11 9* Driver
TaylorMade R11S 3-Wood 15*
TaylorMade 18* Hybrid
Titleist 21* Hybrid
Bridgestone J40CB 5-PW
TaylorMade 52* Wedge
TaylorMade 58* Wedge
TaylorMade Rossa Fortana Putter

My only question/comment would be you said you didn't want to "manipulate" it but that you also consciously had some left forearm rotation. To me this is one in the same. Not trying to be a gotcha just wondering for my own benefit why you felt you had to think about forearm roataion if this is supposed to "naturally" flatten?

Went on the range yesterday and focused on the pivot and not trying to manipulate the club. Got a tip from a member his private fb group to do some freezers but only try to hit the ball 30-50% speed and feel some left forearm rotation in the transition. Thinking along the same lines on what HStead posted that you don't have to open up hips quickly in order to shallow the club.

Shallowed the club for the first time in my life! Lol still have a long ways to go when trying to hit it full speed but seeing myself shallow it for the first time gives me some hope :)

It seems like a lot of people are reallllly focused on the shallowing portion of this. The shallowing is a result of the pivot being done properly not the other way around. Having your mental focus on the shallow portion probably will make the pivot portion suffer. Get the pivot/leg action engrained, then worry if you are shallowing. Not everyone is going to see some crazy Sergio Garcia amount of shallowing, having the right pivot down with a little little bit of shallowing I'm sure would produce fantastic on course results, which is what we are all here for.

My only question/comment would be you said you didn't want to "manipulate" it but that you also consciously had some left forearm rotation. To me this is one in the same. Not trying to be a gotcha just wondering for my own benefit why you felt you had to think about forearm roataion if this is supposed to "naturally" flatten?

Went on the range yesterday and focused on the pivot and not trying to manipulate the club. Got a tip from a member his private fb group to do some freezers but only try to hit the ball 30-50% speed and feel some left forearm rotation in the transition. Thinking along the same lines on what HStead posted that you don't have to open up hips quickly in order to shallow the club.

Shallowed the club for the first time in my life! Lol still have a long ways to go when trying to hit it full speed but seeing myself shallow it for the first time gives me some hope :)

Should've explained it better on my part. I'm not manipulating it at all but when I leave my hands up without any conscious effort to hit at the ball in transition my left arm rotates naturally and I'm not forcing it at all. I just am conscious of it rotating I should say rather than trying do it

Got it! Thanks for clarification. I am so steep my whole life im still amazed when I perform what I think is a comical exaggeration of flattening only to look at a video and realize that it basically looks like a real swing.

Should've explained it better on my part. I'm not manipulating it at all but when I leave my hands up without any conscious effort to hit at the ball in transition my left arm rotates naturally and I'm not forcing it at all. I just am conscious of it rotating I should say rather than trying do it

After working on nothing but pieces in the first parts of Monte's D4D video for the last couple months, I decided to start on the second part, and about halfway through he made a comment that really set this in my head a little differently while talking about the pressure shift.

Forgive my poor paraphrasing of about ten minutes of video, but he said something to the effect of pushing as hard into the ground as you can with the trail leg on the backswing, and then shifting pressure by keeping the the trail leg as still as possible while beginning to push as hard as you can into the ground with your lead leg while allowing the pressure to shift from rear to lead. He actually explains the GG type pivot during this section in a different way, and uses the same sort of drill by placing an object between the knees in order to drop it in transition.

I was able to get out on the course for a quick nine after watching that part of the video, and I've found it absolutely impossible for me to make that pressure shift as correctly as I can without my lead knee unconsciously turning outward to allow for my trail knee to remain relatively still.

I was having real issues hitting thin shots with zero divot on good shots because I was doing all lead leg work without pushing into the ground in the backswing, but including the range time (about 35 balls) along with the entire nine, I only hit a single thin shot which was off the tee on a par 3 which still rolled up to the fringe of the green. That, and I'm also now taking a shallow divot which is really not something I'm accustomed to, so that'll take come getting used to.

Hopefully, the next range session will prove fruitful.

Finding that its very important to get into the big turn short arm swing backswing position that almost every student of GG has. It's certainly not something that's ingrained for me but I can see I'm not able to rotate as well with a swing that goes to parallel, length could be different for everyone but I get a lot better rotation when my clubhead is above my hands at the top.

I've also came to the conclusion that when I go too far in my backswing, I can have a 2 way miss from a stall out and its either you try to save it and pull it or push it right. Thought I'd include that because I did some posters earlier have issues of pushing it right or pulling it when working on the pivot.

The hardest part of big turn short armswing is avoiding any pulling of the hands. When making a shorter backswing its a natural tendency to want to get quick which in turn increases the chance that you won't be leaving the arms up.

Finding that its very important to get into the big turn short arm swing backswing position that almost every student of GG has. It's certainly not something that's ingrained for me but I can see I'm not able to rotate as well with a swing that goes to parallel, length could be different for everyone but I get a lot better rotation when my clubhead is above my hands at the top.

I've also came to the conclusion that when I go too far in my backswing, I can have a 2 way miss from a stall out and its either you try to save it and pull it or push it right. Thought I'd include that because I did some posters earlier have issues of pushing it right or pulling it when working on the pivot.

The hardest part of big turn short armswing is avoiding any pulling of the hands. When making a shorter backswing its a natural tendency to want to get quick which in turn increases the chance that you won't be leaving the arms up.

Thats exactly my checklist. Big turn, dont let hands travel, leave hands up. Very easy to start hitting with hands, but best and longest shots come when hands feel very passive.

Thats exactly my checklist. Big turn, dont let hands travel, leave hands up. Very easy to start hitting with hands, but best and longest shots come when hands feel very passive.

This is a big thing I've had to work on. Freezers (stop at the top) have been great for that for me. You can do a really slow backswing and feel everything turning in the proper sequence and then stopping at the same time. With a few of those in a row with a 1-2 sec pause I usually start to ingrain the correct feeling. From there i slowly start to increase my tempo and pause a little less each time.

This has been a really effective way for me to warm up before rounds. It feels a bit like Hideki Matsuyama on the course but you get used to it.

This is a big thing I've had to work on. Freezers (stop at the top) have been great for that for me. You can do a really slow backswing and feel everything turning in the proper sequence and then stopping at the same time. With a few of those in a row with a 1-2 sec pause I usually start to ingrain the correct feeling. From there i slowly start to increase my tempo and pause a little less each time.

This has been a really effective way for me to warm up before rounds. It feels a bit like Hideki Matsuyama on the course but you get used to it.

It's pretty impressive how great of contact and how far the ball travels with a freezer done correctly, my range buddy jokingly said I should just start playing golf with a bucket between my legs and freezing at the top lol. On a more serious note, I might start my range sessions with a couple freezers to help ingrain the feeling of a big turn short arm swing before I start hitting balls carelessly just warming up.

Just had a lengthy range session working on these principles and it's very encouraging.

Over recent weeks my usual draw has been replaced by a horrible slice and pull.

Tonight with the GG pivot my draw returned which was great.

I hit some truly horrible shots including numerous sh**ks but I hit an awful lot of good shots right out the middle of the clubface.

I think that today for the first time in my life I truly felt what it's like to get the club 'in the slot' in transition.

Following along here, (even though I am consciously trying to avoid making things complicated in my swing) but wanted to agree with the pause at the top. Works for me very well and I'm sure I don't exaggerate it like Hideki Matsyuma but it feels that way.

M6 10.5
M4 3W
Titleist 816h 21
CF19 5-AW
SM6 54 & Cally PM 60
Byron Morgan 612
V1X/ERC Soft

It's pretty impressive how great of contact and how far the ball travels with a freezer done correctly, my range buddy jokingly said I should just start playing golf with a bucket between my legs and freezing at the top lol. On a more serious note, I might start my range sessions with a couple freezers to help ingrain the feeling of a big turn short arm swing before I start hitting balls carelessly just warming up.

I'm taking a range bucket or ball out on the course Saturday as I am still ingraining the feeling. I won't use it on every shot but at least a couple tee shots where my right knee kick-in is the worst. Also practice swings where I'm waiting on my playing partners.

How hard are you guys gripping the club? I normally don't pay attention to grip strength and dont notice a difference in my swing with various strengths. With GGs pivot, I'm not able to shallow unless I feel like I'm barely holding onto the club. Otherwise I rotate my arms with my body and get steep. Anyone else feel this way? It feels like I'm float loading but I've heard float loading is not good for your swing

How hard are you guys gripping the club? I normally don't pay attention to grip strength and dont notice a difference in my swing with various strengths. With GGs pivot, I'm not able to shallow unless I feel like I'm barely holding onto the club. Otherwise I rotate my arms with my body and get steep. Anyone else feel this way? It feels like I'm float loading but I've heard float loading is not good for your swing

Yes, I notice this as well. Still keep the grip tight but definitely don't squeeze as hard as I used to.

Thanks for the validation!

Yes, I notice this as well. Still keep the grip tight but definitely don't squeeze as hard as I used to.

Do you guys have some experience with the driver being more difficult to ingrain? I think that I have the GG pivot better and better under control with most clubs but with the driver I had a number of round where I could not stop the blocks. Should I be more deliberate or slower with the pivot? My feeling is that I stand up too quickly but don't seem to be able to fix it on the course.

Do you guys have some experience with the driver being more difficult to ingrain? I think that I have the GG pivot better and better under control with most clubs but with the driver I had a number of round where I could not stop the blocks. Should I be more deliberate or slower with the pivot? My feeling is that I stand up too quickly but don't seem to be able to fix it on the course.

I'm guessing you haven't rotated pelvis and legs open enough before the extension phase

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Mizuno S18 5310+5812/PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

Lofts 18 , 21.5, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 58

I'm guessing you haven't rotated pelvis and legs open enough before the extension phase

So probably exaggerate the squat and opening even more with the longer clubs.

It took me a couple weeks to stop hitting blocks with the driver, I think part of it was I was going into flexion too early and I wasn't getting the right shoulder towards the target soon enough.

I played 9 last night and hit it great. As others have said driver is a struggle because the right knee kicks in early and I get dumped under but once I finally stopped trying to kill the ball I hit some beautiful tee shots.

I had two short wedge shots, one bladed and the other laid sod, and I found I was really pulling the handle on those short swings. Afterwards I hit probably 200 balls with the stick drill and after destroying my ribs for about the first 30 I got a feel for really rotating through on short shots. Might be worth a try for other handle pullers

Not to get OT, but has anyone tried online lessons with George? He charges $150, so I wanted to make sure it was an effective way to learn before going forward.

For someone who is not going to travel to CA anytime soon, I am interested in the answer to this question as well. Interested if can effectively diagnose and provide feedback on a video. I had an experience with an online instructor that I followed up with in person and the advice was completely different between online and in person, with the face-to-face lesson being MUCH more effective. Also GG seems really busy, is it an in-depth, personalized analysis, or a re-telling of his method?

Not to get OT, but has anyone tried online lessons with George? He charges $150, so I wanted to make sure it was an effective way to learn before going forward.

For someone who is not going to travel to CA anytime soon, I am interested in the answer to this question as well. Interested if can effectively diagnose and provide feedback on a video. I had an experience with an online instructor that I followed up with in person and the advice was completely different between online and in person, with the face-to-face lesson being MUCH more effective. Also GG seems really busy, is it an in-depth, personalized analysis, or a re-telling of his method?

Hopefully it will work out, so far things have been a little slow. I know he is busy that's why I delayed in doing a online lesson.

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

Question for those clued up with GGs theory

How much should the lead hip move forward when viewed face on , I recal him saying he wanted it to stay where it was no forward shift , he referenced Jamie sadlowski who's lead hip doesn't go forward

I've noticed I have a lateral shift of about 6" and can see how this might be ruining things for me

Anybody help?

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

This may have already been answered, but in terms of top of backswing position, is erring with more depth or width preferred...? In other words, high hands in line with the body at the top or low hands behind the body...?

TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade M5 15* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2TS X
Callaway 815 Alpha Hybrid 21* - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90TX
Miura Baby Blade 4-P - KBS $-Taper X
Miura Wedges - 52*, 56* - KBS $-Taper X
Callaway MD4 Tactical 60*
PXG Darkness Operator

I have been trying this on the range and I have the same issue. Irons are fine, though the miss is a pull draw. Need to dwell upper body at top more. Driver I find difficult to do it with. Blocks are the miss, feel like I am dropping club too deep and behind. I did have a lot more success when I simply moved ball up an inch in my stance.

I really like the move, it reinforces use of the body and quells the desire to hammer with arms and limits over swing break down.I added Padrig Harrington's advice of pointing chest at the ball coming through impact. Doing both really upped consistency, really good misses and great pure shots. Both are keepers for now.

Different for driver vs irons shots. Driver he wants to see it like JS, very little laterally movement at all. For irons, he does not like to see a lot, he believes lateral movement impedes the rotation and causes a lot of people to stall. He likes to see the weight 50-50 or 60-40 left at p6 and the left hip not too far forward from where it was at address.

This sounds like what I've needed to hear

My left hip is getting over to the inside of left ankle just after transition

No doubt this is why I can't rotate and have a stall release and have to practice non stop to get it round and find a new feel that works on a daily basis

I'm hopeful now

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord