Want to hit more greens ? Switch to blades

Johnny409

Not that this matters to amateurs, but let's look at the top 10 OGWR.

1. Day: Player Cavity

2. DJ: MB

3. JS: CB

4. RM: MB

5. Bubba: Player Cavity

6. Iceman: CB

7. RF: MB

8. AS: MB

9. Willett: Player Cavity

10. Grace: CB

Now we can argue about what really matters; player cavity vs. cavity back! It's nearly a split of MB vs. CB, so to answer the question "want to hit more greens"? Practice!

Very good post MJ. Illustrates what I've argued forever. The myth that " most tour players don't even play an mb. Etc". It doesn't make the argument for anyone playing an mb stronger. But I just hate when out and out lies are used to try to make a point. Fact is it's a pretty even split amongst the top several hundred players on earth. In no way are GI clubs outnumbering anything 2 to 1.

I recall Willet winning at the masters with MBs? Not that it matters, the point is the same.......

Nope, he played Apex Pros. In fact, I remember reading an interview or two in which he was asked about his playing more forgiving irons than many other pros, and to my recollection his response was something to the effect that he has a low ball flight and these help him hit higher when need.

So then 7 of the world top 10 are playing non-blades with at least some sort of (extra) forgiveness ? Thanks.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody around here should give a rat's butt what anyone else around here plays. There is no argument against it that doesn't become anything more than self serving malarkey. Kind of like when someone comes up with a question about what driver to buy and everyone else shouts out hey try what I use, man, it's the best....

Everyone on this enlightened site knows that is the wrong answer. Everyone knows that the right answer is to get fitted into the best driver for them regardless of make, model or shaft. Everyone also knows, because everyone around here knows everything golf, that look, feel and performance makes a club right for someone and it doesn't matter what make, model or shaft is in that club as long as the damn thing works for that person.

And since everyone around here knows all of this, does it not stand to reason that threads like this one should state the facts ma'am....just the facts?

Play what feels best, pleases your eye the most and performs to your satisfaction only. Ignore everything and everyone else who tries to dissuade you. Because they know not of which they speak.

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

Play what feels best, pleases your eye the most and performs to your satisfaction only. Ignore everything and everyone else who tries to dissuade you. Because they know not of which they speak.

So I have been golfing for three weeks. I have a new set of Mizuno MP4's 3-PW. The salesman told me that I was making a mistake buying them as a beginner. I like the way they look, love the way they feel and enjoy the feedback given with every shot. Took me a minute to hit them properly, but I'm very happy with them and find the long irons most enjoyable. People say they are difficult to hit well, but my 3 iron goes 220. I have no idea if it's good or bad, but I enjoy watching the ball fly. I have been subjected to trying a number of game improvement clubs and they were nice enough. However, I disliked the same impulse from a good and bad shot and may be growing to dislike the sound of Callaway XR irons being hit. I also find the dirt collection in cavity backs to be troublesome. I guess I enjoy paying attention to detail?

I have been fortunate to have some great advice from several different sources, all of which have been duly regarded. The club choice was the one override and I have been fortunate enough to perform sufficiently to not regret it.

Now this thread has the value added of the complete noob's opinion.

I played the Mizuno MP 69 blades and Bridgestone J15 DF Cavity Back irons back and forth in the past a few months. My handicap is around 7 and I really could not tell any big difference between the blade and CB irons. There are some noticeable differences between the blade and GI or Super GI irons, in terms of size, offset, sole, topline and other characteristics that may affect your feeling. But the gap between a more player type CB and blades are very minor.

For instance, the Bridgestone J15 DF shares almost the same offsets and topline thickness as the MP 69 does, but has a touch bit bigger size and a margin wider sole. It plays just like a blade but offers some extra forgiveness and boosts subtle confidence. I shot some good scores with both sets, and could not tell which one is for sure better than the other. It all comes down to your swing and your playing strategy.

Driver: Taylormade SIM, 8 degrees, VA Composite Drago 75 X-Stiff

3W: Taylormade M5 15 degrees, VA Composite Drago 75 X-Stiff

Hybrids: Titleist 915H (3-6)Project X 6.0 Flighted shafts

Irons: Bridgestone J40 (7-P), Project X 6.0 Flighted shafts

Wedges: Bridgestone J33 (50,56,60), Project X 6.0 Flighted shafts

Putter: Directed Force 2.1 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

So I have been golfing for three weeks. I have a new set of Mizuno MP4's 3-PW. The salesman told me that I was making a mistake buying them as a beginner. I like the way they look, love the way they feel and enjoy the feedback given with every shot. Took me a minute to hit them properly, but I'm very happy with them and find the long irons most enjoyable. People say they are difficult to hit well, but my 3 iron goes 220. I have no idea if it's good or bad, but I enjoy watching the ball fly. I have been subjected to trying a number of game improvement clubs and they were nice enough. However, I disliked the same impulse from a good and bad shot and may be growing to dislike the sound of Callaway XR irons being hit. I also find the dirt collection in cavity backs to be troublesome. I guess I enjoy paying attention to detail?

I have been fortunate to have some great advice from several different sources, all of which have been duly regarded. The club choice was the one override and I have been fortunate enough to perform sufficiently to not regret it.

Just so I understand,,,,,,,, You're playing for 3 weeks, it took you a "minute" to hit your MP-4s properly, you find your long irons "enjoyable" and you signed up with the name Sir Slicealot.

That recap sound about right ?

Titleist Pro V1X

Just so I understand,,,,,,,, You're playing for 3 weeks, it took you a "minute" to hit your MP-4s properly, you find your long irons "enjoyable" and you signed up with the name Sir Slicealot.

Yes I've been playing for three weeks. By "a minute" I mean two trips to the driving range with the MP-4's; fourth trip ever. I bought the MP-4's after I learned how to hit a Fli-Hi 3H. A really nice guy spent ten minutes teaching me how to swing the club. I hit 180 balls and that was that. The Fli-Hi was a loaner so I had to return it. The MP-4's were at a huge discount and I liked the way they looked. Someone told me muscle backs weren't for beginners so I decided I'd make them work for me, mainly because I didn't want to lose face. The second trip to the range I had the benefit of three tutors of various handicaps. I tried to do exactly what they suggested and it worked. I love my 3 iron, so much so that I picked up a one and two iron and can't wait to see what they are like. I seem to have eliminated my slice by the second trip to the range knocking it down to a push. I just got a 3+ wood, but the head snapped off after 14 balls and the replacement just arrived and I haven't practiced with it yet. I managed to figure out the definition of rhomboid tendonitis at the driving range two days ago and am on a two week break now. Disappointing because I don't get to find out how much my horrible 9 hole score improved. I realized the dramatic difference between the driving range and the course. I injured myself hitting too many balls at once trying to build a range card for my clubs looking forward to a Saturday tee time. Now you have the whole "stranger than fiction" story.

what does any of that have to do with the time of day? Seems like he's enjoying himself. And you're picking on him why, exactly?

I've put a few sets of clubs for my kids from my old clubs over the years. My 16 year old is just deciding to give golf a go. I let him try my Ping ISI and my Wilson Staff Pi5 blades figuring I'd play whichever clubs he doesn't like...or get new ones:) He hits the blades better. He likes the weight more, that they line up easier, and in truth, he hits the sweet spot more often. It was surprising to me, but it is so.

what does any of that have to do with the time of day? Seems like he's enjoying himself. And you're picking on him why, exactly?

I'm not picking on anybody. Are you picking on me ?

I'm trying to clarify what he wrote. And he did.

Sounds incredible for a beginner to do what he's claiming. You don't find progress like that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, unusual,,,,,,,,,,, ?

Sure hope he posts that video requested. Would love to see a beginner progress that rapidly.

Titleist Pro V1X

Sounds incredible for a beginner to do what he's claiming. You don't find progress like that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, unusual,,,,,,,,,,, ?

Sure hope he posts that video requested. Would love to see a beginner progress that rapidly.

It's all relative. Can't necessarily judge his idea of progress with your own...

I'll post a video when I am able to swing again and that will not be prior to next weekend. I am just getting to the point of being able to pull on a shirt without sucking up a lot of "minor discomfort." I can promise you cannot laugh at me louder than I can laugh at myself. Unfortunately, I'm a real person and not going away. I'm neither ashamed nor proud of my ability and invite your critique.

It's all relative. Can't necessarily judge his idea of progress with your own...

I don't recall mentioning my own progress.

I'll post a video when I am able to swing again and that will not be prior to next weekend. I am just getting to the point of being able to pull on a shirt without sucking up a lot of "minor discomfort." I can promise you cannot laugh at me louder than I can laugh at myself. Unfortunately, I'm a real person and not going away. I'm neither ashamed nor proud of my ability and invite your critique.

You should be proud of your ability. It is indeed remarkable.

And laugh ? I don't think so. I don't care what your swing actually looks like. If you can do the things you suggest you can do it doesn't matter what it looks like. :good:

Titleist Pro V1X

That's a nice tidbit of information. And before I take this too far offline, RF is an MB player!

His game speaks for itself. There are very few players that I can actually watch for any duration and RF is one of them.

Not a fan but also not a hater of his orange Gatorade Sunday look, but I am a huge fan of RF's game. I love his swing and he is like a modern Seve...shotmaking is his strong point.

Trust me I don't like the orange or high top trend set either. But in comparison to all of these guys dropping out of the olympics and talking about not caring to grow the game, it's refreshing to see RF just let the game speak for itself.

Rory has no clue. I'm with Brandel Chamblee on this one.

Nsxguy.....Sorry..."your" was general in nature. Could be any of us. And emphasis was on what one's idea of progress might be

Sorry I didn't make that clearer

Welcome to the blades club on the forum! It's a passionate group no doubt. You should check out he Multi thousand page blade topic, it's a fun group and good read.

Blades are my personal favorite, and I agree with the posters who said really high cappers would probably benefit from GI irons but if you can put in the practice blades are pretty awesome. Anyone can play blades, but one thing I think is higher club head speeds seem to have an easier time with blades. Which I think has to do with the design of a blade have more mass behind the sweet spot. Just my opinion from a few observations

You should be proud of your ability. It is indeed remarkable.

And laugh ? I don't think so. I don't care what your swing actually looks like. If you can do the things you suggest you can do it doesn't matter what it looks like. :good:

The only thing remarkable is how many Golf Digest magazines I have read in the past week. It's great to have friends. I likely won't be paying bills hitting a little ball anytime soon. I think everyone should laugh while playing golf. It keeps it fun and what else can you do (that's admirable) when it all goes sideways? After a nine hole debut averaging eight strokes a hole, if I couldn't laugh...I'd be a used golf club salesman by now. It was a valuable lesson though, it taught me to work on the short game specifically making the green from fifty and in without overshooting and illustrated the difference between the range and course. Previously with my PW and 58 I had practiced in my yard of deep grass leaving me with a lack of feel for rough and fairways causing me to kill the ball. So I took my bag to the range and worked specifically on the wedges and short irons being lofty and consistent.

My swing doesn't look like Happy Gilmore and I'm certain it isn't quite Ben Hogan. Some people tell me I have a nice swing. I'm glad there are so many kind and encouraging people in golf. It's been very difficult for me to unlearn the baseball swing. I may have it in progress...but you'll see soon enough.

Because of this post I have to admit that my "WITB" is far from accurate.

Instead baggin' a complete Apex Pro iron set, I always swaps the Callaway 7 iron with an old Bridgestone 7 iron, the J33 blade. It is not as long as it's Apex counterpart, both club-length-wise and carry-distance-wise, but it's helpful to my game. I use it to warm up before the rounds. It encourages concentration on shot-making and requires solid contact. I also practice a lot with this club during range sessions. After a small bucket with this forged blade, all the rest Apex Pros appear to be so easy to hit. Not to say that the J33 is more difficult to hit, but it certainly requires a more rigorous manner.

So why don't I swap out my full set of Apex Pro with the Bridgestone blades? It's because this 7 iron is the only blade club I have (except the wedges and "blade" putters).

I won't make the full switch to blades now because I'm am hitting it flush 9 times out of 10.

But I definitely will make that switch and hopefully that happens in a not-so-distant future.

Will I end up liking the blades better than the GIs? Maybe. Will I end up brings back the GIs after I've gamed the blades? Possibly. It won't hurt from trying. And, if you've never played blades seriously in your life (hitting a few balls with them at the range won't count), how could you possibly make the proper judgement?

It all comes down to a matter of personally preferences. At the end of the day, we love golf so much because it is a lot of fun. Some may even play blades at the cost of potentially losing a few strokes per round just for the pleasure of looking at and playing those beautifully crafted clubs as well as the "coolness" of doing it and having them in the bag. I totally get it. In fact, I might as well join those people. It's us maximizing utility as rational agents, this is ECON101 stuff.

I've never had the newest greatest clubs out and have never been fitted (yes I know this is a travesty, everyone should get fitted blah blah blah) but I'm 2hours from anywhere this is possible and don't often have any opportunities to do this. I had old ping I15s. Thought I hit a good ball. I was wrong. I got away with a lot. My strike has significantly improved since switching to a 2nd hand set of taylormade MB pw-7 MC 6-3 I got off trademe (NZ version of eBay). Haven't practiced anymore than usual, I put it down to being a bit of a 'searcher' for the sweet spot. My strike follows the sweet spot. Any driver with a moveable weight (sideways like the sldr) never helps the way they are meant to. In time my strike pattern moves with wherever the sweet spot/COG goes. I'm not saying it's instant, I'm saying that in time, I somehow subconsciously manage to find a different location to hit from (the new cog of the club). I used strike tape to monitor this over a month, slowly moving the weight over. My strike slowly moved across the face (obviously the odd erratic one) but on average it moved. So yea I agree. My strike did improve with the use of a forged blade. My distance changed with the 1 club weaker lofts but they are consistent distances and I love the look and love the results.

Nsxguy.....Sorry..."your" was general in nature. Could be any of us. And emphasis was on what one's idea of progress might be

Sorry I didn't make that clearer

No problem.

Titleist Pro V1X

After reading this thread a couple of days ago, I put down my g30 irons and started practicing with my tommy armour 845 evos. Small and unforgiving by comparison. lots of "feedback" on mis hits that helped me focus on finding the center. Made the practice time much more productive. Feels like I can't miss now with my g30s.

I think this might be my new routine. Practice with hard to hit clubs, record the rounds with clubs that give a bit more forgiveness and mask the errors.

sorry you are getting jumped man. I agree. I played AP2 irons for years and recently went back to blades because I felt I was getting loose with my swing. I find hitting blades force me to stay compact and focus on striking my shots better. result? better control. miss hits are worse but not so bad that I am not 20 yards short of my target but 5 more than with the AP2's. I also feel like I hit it longer sweet spot to sweet spot. I feel you, good observation and best of luck.

Hey, my name is Kirk, too!