Want to hit more greens ? Switch to blades

Johnny409

I carry all 9 irons. So what? I hit 1&2 all the time on the range. It's not without challenge, but it's very much what I want to do. The five iron is a good club, at least in MP-4's, so that has merit too. Lord only knows what is what with all the loft jacking going on. If you want to hit a hybrid do so. I learned on a hybrid 3. It was the first club I could crush for distance. I request that you hybrid folks refrain from any dissuasion of others using long irons. Sorry you "can't hit them," but that's your loss. I love 'em all. Except goofy looking putters and wonder wedges. Those are weird.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blades vs Cavity = lower score with blades ..... sorry, I don't buy it.

Luckily, to people like me who struggled with this question and discovered, after years of swapping and thousands of dollars, that we DO play better with blades, your "not buying it" doesn't matter one little bit.

If you haven't tried it, don't denigrate it. There are so many factors in the design of a GI or SGI club that are negatives for so many players, it's amazing this is even a point of discussion. Super offset, fat/thick sole, COG super low and nearly an inch behind the dynamic axis of the club shaft--- not to mention overly large heads-- really this conversation is ridiculous. Find what works for you.

There is no linear relationship between forgiveness and better shots, or better scores..

This is the biggest problem...... People are brainwashed that automatically "SGI" "GI" means "Improvement" because the word is in the acronym. But in EVERY single player this is NOT true. There are some anomalies and some that just wont play best with "Game Improvement" irons no matter how high their handicap is.

While this is more rare than common, it still is a fact. that some higher handicappers can and WILL indeed play better with blades..... there is no science, there is no magic, there is now all powerful being that is manipulating this. It just is what it is. So we need to accept this.

Now on the flip side....... Please try not to lie to yourself, that Blades will MAKE you play better. you may be one that can play better with blades just because..... but be honest with your golf....if you have a terrible swing and make bad judgments on the course... well no club will save you.

So if X player WANTS to play with blades.... well have fun.....

if X player CAN play with blades..... well..... have fun.....

if X player lies to themselves to play blades....well......guess what.... HAVE FUN!!!!!

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 659CB PW-4 KBS120 S
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

I recommend watching the best players in the world at a local professional tour event. Not the highlight reel they show on TV, but an actual 18 hole round. You will see ALL kinds of funky looking shots during a day, especially with the long irons. Yes, even the best in the world lose it right and left, or come up short because they thinned it. These guys are the best in the world. Amateurs benefit from clubs with a lower COG and higher MOI. Play whatever makes you happy, but this idea that clubs that are more difficult make you better is questionable.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

I carry all 9 irons. So what? I hit 1&2 all the time on the range. It's not without challenge, but it's very much what I want to do. The five iron is a good club, at least in MP-4's, so that has merit too. Lord only knows what is what with all the loft jacking going on. If you want to hit a hybrid do so. I learned on a hybrid 3. It was the first club I could crush for distance. I request that you hybrid folks refrain from any dissuasion of others using long irons. Sorry you "can't hit them," but that's your loss. I love 'em all. Except goofy looking putters and wonder wedges. Those are weird.

Wow! That's a very unique setup. You must have the 140-150yd range totally covered... nine times over ;)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Yeah, I too prefer long irons to hybrids. IMO they are much easier to control distance. Hybrids just launch. Or they don't. You never know. Distance control on every single club does get overlooked these days in lieu of just distance...

Who nailed an amazing shot from the edge of the fairway today with an MP-29 2 Iron? This guy! Totally had the perfect lie for the 2 Iron and the practice swing went well enough that I just had to try it. The comment of "What club was that?" followed by "Wow...nice shot" made it awesome. I really can't wait to practice all the lessons I learned today. The irons need to be a lot better to make up for the craziness of the driver and wood I haven't even remotely mastered yet. I may end up hitting the 1 Iron off the tee too.

Luckily, to people like me who struggled with this question and discovered, after years of swapping and thousands of dollars, that we DO play better with blades, your "not buying it" doesn't matter one little bit.

If you haven't tried it, don't denigrate it. There are so many factors in the design of a GI or SGI club that are negatives for so many players, it's amazing this is even a point of discussion. Super offset, fat/thick sole, COG super low and nearly an inch behind the dynamic axis of the club shaft--- not to mention overly large heads-- really this conversation is ridiculous. Find what works for you.

There is no linear relationship between forgiveness and better shots, or better scores..

This is the biggest problem...... People are brainwashed that automatically "SGI" "GI" means "Improvement" because the word is in the acronym. But in EVERY single player this is NOT true. There are some anomalies and some that just wont play best with "Game Improvement" irons no matter how high their handicap is.

While this is more rare than common, it still is a fact. that some higher handicappers can and WILL indeed play better with blades..... there is not science, there is no magic, there is now all powerful being that is manipulating this. It just is what it is. So we need to accept this.

Now on the flip side....... Please try not to lie to yourself, that Blades will MAKE you play better. you may be one that can play better with blades just because..... but be honest with your golf....if you have a terrible swing and make bad judgments on the course... well no club will save you.

if X player lies to themselves to play blades....well......guess what.... HAVE FUN!!!!!

Let's just start with the ultimate question? At what % does a golfer hit the sweet spot? It doesn't necessarily go up as the handicap goes down. Those Tour players got to the Tour with the driver, wedge, and putter......Period......Example: ME. Never played on the Tour, never tried, knew I wasn't good enough........20 years ago I was a +4.6 on tournament courses. (Please, I'm NOT bragging, trying to make a point). I had some success playing. Didn't matter what irons I was playing, it all came down to the driver, and short game/putter........Fast forward a minute.....Todays blades are NOTHING like they were even 10 years ago. The forged cavity clubs, in MY opinion, aren't THAT much different than the blades. MY personal opinion, I am a really good iron player through the bag (can't putt for crap anymore), but my brain won't let me put down the blades.......When better than half the PGA Tour is hitting a cavity (maybe more), why are ANY amateurs trying to hit a blade???............Including ME!!.....LOL

There is no way that switching to blades will make a high handicap player hit more greens. The logic behind just doesn't add up; blades demand a consistent strike to deliver consistent accuracy and distance. You might find a high handicapper who does make a consistent strike but they are far and few between. I consider myself a good ball-striker and at least once a round I'll find myself bemoaning my blades for lost distance. I can't imagine a 20+ handicapper, who rarely makes a perfect strike, seeing any kind of benefit from gaming blades.

Titleist 910D2 (10.5) Fujikura Speeder 661 Evo II X
Titleist 910Fd (13.5) Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75 04
Titleist 910F (17.0) Diamana Ahina 80S  

Adams 9031 (20) ATTAS Elements Proto RK 100X 

Callaway X-Prototype (4-PW) PX 6.0
Vokey SM8 (52F, 60M) DG S400 
Odyssey White Hot #7 XG 

I played blades for a year and really enjoyed them and then I switched to a CB set. Why? Because of my ego. I got tired of a couple of my friends not understanding that they could hit their 7 iron the same distance as me because my lofts were weaker yet I always hit my driver past them. I switched to CBs and now shoot the same but I'm longer than them with my irons. I know this is one of the worst reasons to switch but for some reason I decided that I like hitting the ball further. Since this time, I've considered switching back to blades just because I miss how great they feel, but know it won't effect my scoring so I stick with what I have. I may buy a slightly older set of MBs to use every once in a while just to kill the urge. So, what do I think about this debate? Hit what you like, it won't make a ton of difference. The biggest scoring determiners for me have always been how accurate I am off the tee and how well I'm chipping and putting. I can make up for some mishits with the irons.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* w/Mitsubishi Diamana GT 60S
Titleist TSR2 15* w/VA Composites Nemesys 75S
Taylormade Stealth 2 Hybrid 19* w/VA Composites Nemesys 90S
Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-PW w/Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist SM9 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/Project X LZ 6.0
Edel EAS 2.0 Putter
Vice Pro

So if you're out driving your friends...you care who's 7i goes further? The loft is the key and if they aren't smart enough to understand that...why should you change clubs? The plot thickens methinks...

I've been golfing for a month save the injury time off here and there and I understand the difference between lofts in given sets. My 7i is a 34° loft in the MP-4. It goes 150 and that's it unless you really monster it devil may care. There are people that are hitting the 7i 180. I have a five iron for that or maybe it's a 4i. Don't care. My clubs are awesome. I dislike cavity backs because crap gets caught in the cavity. I have a nice set of MB's and I'm happy. Some days it's rough and some days it's glorious. I don't care what my friends say at all. People laugh and snicker right up until I start hitting shots. Then it's a moment of awe. The little numbers are for me to know which club to pull when. The 1,2 & 3 are there for other people to marvel at and wonder if I can hit them. Please, tell me I'll never make this next shot...? Game on!

I don't know what the big deal is about "blades". I used to drink the Kool-Aid and think they were for the elite golfer. I had an occasion to hit them and I didn't find it all that difficult. I was very surprised given all the hype/mystique surrounding them.

In any case compared to 40 years ago, the blades of today are GI irons.

I don't know what the big deal is about "blades". I used to drink the Kool-Aid and think they were for the elite golfer. I had an occasion to hit them and I didn't find it all that difficult. I was very surprised given all the hype/mystique surrounding them.

This should be a sticky. Spoiler alert.......Surprise, golf is not that easy AND not that hard all at the same time, and that sums up EVERY facet of it from stupid clubs to the actual shots that matter to course management to blah blah blah.

This should be a sticky. Spoiler alert.......Surprise, golf is not that easy AND not that hard all at the same time, and that sums up EVERY facet of it from stupid clubs to the actual shots that matter to course management to blah blah blah.

That is spot on! I've just looked at my competition stats at my course over the last five years or so which is a par 71. Taking my worst score on each hole my total shots for 18 is 149!! My best scores give me a total of 54 (that beats Furyk by 4 ;-)). 95 shots difference between best and worst is some margin and shows the variable nature of the game and why we get hooked trying to beat our best scores. My best single round is 76 so I still have 22 shots that I have lost somewhere...mostly putting and chipping to be honest.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

While this is more rare than common, it still is a fact. that some higher handicappers can and WILL indeed play better with blades..... there is not science, there is no magic, there is now all powerful being that is manipulating this. It just is what it is. So we need to accept this.

Let's just start with the ultimate question? At what % does a golfer hit the sweet spot? It doesn't necessarily go up as the handicap goes down. Those Tour players got to the Tour with the driver, wedge, and putter......Period......Example: ME. Never played on the Tour, never tried, knew I wasn't good enough........20 years ago I was a +4.6 on tournament courses. (Please, I'm NOT bragging, trying to make a point). I had some success playing. Didn't matter what irons I was playing, it all came down to the driver, and short game/putter........Fast forward a minute.....Todays blades are NOTHING like they were even 10 years ago. The forged cavity clubs, in MY opinion, aren't THAT much different than the blades. MY personal opinion, I am a really good iron player through the bag (can't putt for crap anymore), but my brain won't let me put down the blades.......When better than half the PGA Tour is hitting a cavity (maybe more), why are ANY amateurs trying to hit a blade???............Including ME!!.....LOL

You are right, How often do you hit the sweet spot.....

But here is another point..... As the Handicap goes down, you also miss the "Center" not sweet spot, less often, giving you more consistent predictable shots.

Meaning, if you hit the center more often than not and not hitting on the heel and toe..... your overall game should be much better. SGI/GI/MB......

The point being, an SGI on a bad shot wont really save you no matter what.

http://www.golfwrx.com/167927/impact-location-by-handicap/

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

But here is another point..... As the Handicap goes down, you also miss the "Center" not sweet spot, less often, giving you more consistent predictable shots.

Meaning, if you hit the center more often than not and not hitting on the heel and toe..... your overall game should be much better. SGI/GI/MB......

Oh no, you can't win an argument with logic on GolfWRX...at least not if blades are portrayed as the answer.

I look at it like this...if a bad blades shot puts me into the woods and I have to chase the ball, I'm going to learn quickly how not to repeat this mistake. However, if the SGI lets me get away with imprecise ball striking by mitigating the extent of the hook or slice, I may never achieve that same level of consistency in my striking.

If you can strike well with blades, you can certainly play anything more forgiving, even if you don't want to. Sort of like driving a manual transmission, you'll never be stranded...

Oh no, you can't win an argument with logic on GolfWRX...at least not if blades are portrayed as the answer.

I look at it like this...if a bad blades shot puts me into the woods and I have to chase the ball, I'm going to learn quickly how not to repeat this mistake. However, if the SGI lets me get away with imprecise ball striking by mitigating the extent of the hook or slice, I may never achieve that same level of consistency in my striking.

If you can strike well with blades, you can certainly play anything more forgiving, even if you don't want to. Sort of like driving a manual transmission, you'll never be stranded...

I think this is where we differ,

You state a blade putting you in the woods, you are going to learn quickly how not to repeat the mistake? But the Blade was NOT the reason for you to hit the ball into the woods and the Blade WILL not TELL YOU why you hit it into the woods.... Your swing is is what put the ball into the woods. SGI or Blade, a bad shot into the woods is a BAD SHOT.

SGI, will not let you get away with a bad shot into the woods.... its not that good, the SGI can compensate more due to design for a swing fault, If you cannot get the ball in the air the CoG allows for higher flight, you have an over the top slice swing the higher offset allows for the face to shut earlier, The larger sole for those that try to come in too steep will allow for more turf relief. But if you miss hit it on the face..... its not going to take a 50 yard slice, and turn it into a 5 yard draw...... Its not going to let you get away like that, and you say imprecise shots? You can automatically tell by distance and ball flight if you hit the ball the way you intended, GI or Blade......

YES.... But these are all swing faults that need to be corrected.

Again Blades teaches you nothing.... People need to look past this and under stand that Blades, GIs, SGIs are a tools to allow you to do the job right.....

if you were trying to hit a nail, would you use a Ball-peen hammer, a sledge hammer or a claw hammer, while 2 of the 3 could get the job done, and 1 is way off there is really one tool that works the best for the specified job.

THIS is no different for Blades Vs SGI vs GI

If you have a swing that can benefit from the inherent differences that a Blade has vs a GI, than use the best tool that will allow you to shoot the most optimal score, 72-82-102 it doesnt matter... what tool will let you shoot your best.

Blades is not a target, blades are not a training aid, blades to not fix your swing faults..... a "SWING" fault is not a "CLUB" fault......

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

This kind of logic is flawed; a bad strike is a bad strike and swing that puts you in the woods with a blade will put you in the woods with any iron. Hitting a blade does provide valuable feedback that could make you a better ballstriker but lets not pretend GI/SGI irons are some kind of superclubs that will straighten out any errant shot. You strike the ball with an open face, you go right... or left if your a lefty ... simple as that

Titleist 910D2 (10.5) Fujikura Speeder 661 Evo II X
Titleist 910Fd (13.5) Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75 04
Titleist 910F (17.0) Diamana Ahina 80S  

Adams 9031 (20) ATTAS Elements Proto RK 100X 

Callaway X-Prototype (4-PW) PX 6.0
Vokey SM8 (52F, 60M) DG S400 
Odyssey White Hot #7 XG 

Flawed logic in your eyes, but someone who wants to get better at the game, not a boob that wants to buy a game, will do so more readily with clubs that provide feedback. I was thinking more about off center strikes than open or closed faces. Pure shots are incredibly smooth and off center shots are shocky. I've tried some amazing clubs that are GI and there is no feel and there is a certain mitigation to errors of bad form. Draw to pure to fade is all the same click...awesome! There is no tactile reinforcement of goodness. It makes me not want to golf. I move at the driving range when those clubs show up and spray all over the place with the same sound.

Flawed logic in your eyes, but someone who wants to get better at the game, not a boob that wants to buy a game, will do so more readily with clubs that provide feedback. I was thinking more about off center strikes than open or closed faces. Pure shots are incredibly smooth and off center shots are shocky. I've tried some amazing clubs that are GI and there is no feel and there is a certain mitigation to errors of bad form. Draw to pure to fade is all the same click...awesome! There is no tactile reinforcement of goodness. It makes me not want to golf. I move at the driving range when those clubs show up and spray all over the place with the same sound.

I have to know. You hit 2 irons great. You draw and fade the ball and you hit it pure. But yet you have a super high handicap ? What's your secret? Oh, and my Ping G irons provide me with as much feedback as my old Titleist 695MB's. The feedback thing is bullsh!t. If you can't tell where you hit the ball on the clubface, you ain't payin' attention.

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

This topic could be, "Want to hit more greens, use less technology"...and you may be correct. There is not a blade player on the tour who doesn't use a ginormous fit driver with a top line graphite shaft. The top GI irons of today hold all the modern technology of today. They are balanced well enough to allow for consistent ball striking. And the faces are precise enough to fend off crazy flyer shots. Go back 30 years and this is not necessarily the case...

I like game improvement irons!

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

My miss is off the toe. Please tell me how I can fix it.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

This thread debating blades vs. game improvement is a trainwreck. Who would have guessed it?

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

This thread debating blades vs. game improvement is a trainwreck. Who would have guessed it?

It was a lot for me to like your post. I hate ND

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

I never said I could draw and fade the ball at will. I said I noticed no difference between the sound and feel in my hand when I was forced to try that club. I happened to hit a draw and a fade and a pure shot. I also hooked and sliced and that's all on me.

Never did I say I was particularly gifted with a two iron. I said I enjoyed them immensely. I said I made a sweet shot with one when it counted. That's a big difference. I also admitted to bobbling two shots with a one iron. I love the long irons because so many people whine about hitting them and maybe they are difficult. I line up with mine every time believing that it is going to be the best shot I have ever made. Sometimes it doesn't work out, but what am I supposed to do? Roll over and give up? Cry? It makes me ecstatic everytime I am able to connect and motivated to do what so many tell themselves they can't.

I put "hi" in as my handicap because enormous wouldn't fit, but I have no idea what it actually is.?

I'm happy you made your post lawsonman, I was in a motivational slump. Sarcasm and external doubt of my ability and potential fuels me.

Try stepping closer to the ball...buy a new set of SGI's...get one of them orange sticks...waggle more...turn around three times and stomp your left foot...?

I never said I could draw and fade the ball at will. I said I noticed no difference between the sound and feel in my hand when I was forced to try that club. I happened to hit a draw and a fade and a pure shot. I also hooked and sliced and that's all on me.

Never did I say I was particularly gifted with a two iron. I said I enjoyed them immensely. I said I made a sweet shot with one when it counted. That's a big difference. I also admitted to bobbling two shots with a one iron. I love the long irons because so many people whine about hitting them and maybe they are difficult. I line up with mine every time believing that it is going to be the best shot I have ever made. Sometimes it doesn't work out, but what am I supposed to do? Roll over and give up? Cry? It makes me ecstatic everytime I am able to connect and motivated to do what so many tell themselves they can't.

I put "hi" in as my handicap because enormous wouldn't fit, but I have no idea what it actually is.

I'm happy you made your post lawsonman, I was in a motivational slump. Sarcasm and external doubt of my ability and potential fuels me.

Try stepping closer to the ball...buy a new set of SGI's...get one of them orange sticks...waggle more...turn around three times and stomp your left foot...

Glad I could help.

Titleist TSR 2  9°

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

. People laugh and snicker right up until I start hitting shots. Then it's a moment of awe. The little numbers are for me to know which club to pull when. The 1,2 & 3 are there for other people to marvel at and wonder if I can hit them.

This post got me confused.

Titleist TSR 2  9°

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

C'mon now, there have been a lot worse - this one is very mild.

But this one DOES have something the others don't have.

A newbie, with a username of Sir Slicealot, a self-described "Blade Wielding Windbag", with a ginormous handicap, being the "voice" for the blade crowd.

Some things you just can't make up,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :D

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow