2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

How much did getting a range finder improve your game?

Hey guys!

Great discussion going here and some solid advice!

I’ve set myself a budget of $250 for my first rangefinder and am still not sure which one to get.

I’ve been reading some reviews on this site http://hitgolfing.com/ and am considering the Bushnell Tour V5 or the Nikon Coolshot20.

Does anyone here actually own either of these? What are your experiences?”

Thanks!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say that a combination of Game Golf and a Garmin S20 has helped me a lot htis year. With Game Golf, I know how far my clubs are actually going (total distance) and with the S20, I know the distances to hazards and layups.

I play better with a golf watch than I do with an actual rangefinder.

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

I know my yardages pretty good and the RF can help me get a lot closer to the pin when I am hitting well.

When I play an unknown course I find it indispensable - on my own course I have started playing entire rounds without it, and only pull it out when I find myself on the wrong fairway.

Wilson Deep Red II Tour (9.0)
King Cobra SZ (15.5), G10 HY (18, 21, 24)
MP-32 5i - 9i, Vokey SM5 50, 54 (F), 58 (M)
Rife Aussie

I use both GPS app and RF (not both at the same time...). The main improvement (on course) with the RF is that I am partially colour blind and have a hard time determining flag colour from distance, especially when the aren't solid coloured flags. With the RF, I can actually tell the flag colour (and obviously get the precise distance). If I could tell flag colours from distance, F/M/B of green from GPS would be sufficient for my skill level (not very skilled lol). Use of RF at range has definitely helped me work out partial wedge shots.

Bigger improvement for me personally was using GPS club tags. Helped me learn how i was actually hitting each club, very sobering...

• 2 weeks later...

At first the rangefinder actually hurt my scores. The exact distance to a front pin would trick me and I'd leave shots short. Exact distances to the back and same thing, I'd go long. Now I use it sparingly, and always compare to the middle green distance. Personally I'd choose a GPS over a rangefinder as the back, middle, front sounds great. Also I find I want the yardage the most when I can't see the pin due to terrain...

I just got one and am hoping it helps, especially on partial wedge shots. Took it to the range yesterday and found it very helpful.

I got the tour v4 btw and found it very easy to use. I have shaky hands so I was worried, but the pin seeker mode is stupid easy even if your hands move around.

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

I found my wedge game from 40-110 yards has been the biggest beneficiary of the range finder the last 2 rounds. Prior I was guessing the partial wedge shot distances and not quite landing balls on the correct portion of the green. If I'm 70 yards out from the middle and they've tucked the flag in the way back to where it's closer to 90+ away, I'd be short more often than not. Knowing that it's 90 yards, I can hit a 3/4 gap wedge firmly. Previously, I'd only hit a 70-80 yard pitch shot, which gives me a long 1st putt.

Just ordered a tectectec rangefinder. I will let you guys know how it goes. I've been using a Garmin Approach S3 watch for front middle back, but I wanted to be able to shoot distances to traps, hazards and doglegs. Also, the biggest problem with the watch is that I only get about 27 holes on a full charge, so I'm out of luck if I'm playing two rounds or if I forget to charge the watch the night before. Otherwise, I love my watch. It's very accurate and it probably saves me 2-3 strokes per round on those holes that trick the eyes (false fronts, deep greens, etc). I plan to use the watch and the rangefinder going forward. RF for hazards and scoring distances and I'll just stick with the GPS on full shots outside of 155 or so.

Edit: Used the TECTECTEC for the first time this morning and I found it very accurate and easy to use. Played a course with GPS in carts and the tectectec was dead on with the yardages. I definitely recommend this rangefinder if you're on a budget.

• 3 weeks later...

Wouldn't say more control, but more confident and playing quicker, especially on courses you haven't played. You can ping bunkers, trees, and hazards to get distances rather than guessing. This really helps me from a strategy standpoint. Some architects use subtle techniques to distort distance to the naked eye, so having a RF can quickly help you feel confident in the yardage even if it doesn't look right.

This is me to a tee. Maybe 2 strokes a round to answer the OP's question. It without a doubt makes me use the correct club from inside 150yds.

Getting exact yardages to the pin saves time with club selection. It took me a while to use the info properly. For example, if a pin was in the back of the green and I shoot 158 with my RF then I would immediately pull a 6i(160 club) but if I flush it then i'm over the green and short sided. Instead I will hit a 7i and ensure that I'm on the green. If my battery goes out and I don't have a spare then I feel naked out there. The RF is my security blanket. Thinking about getting a slope RF but tough dropping 5 bills when I have a perfectly fine working RF that doesn't give slope.

I found my wedge game from 40-110 yards has been the biggest beneficiary of the range finder the last 2 rounds. Prior I was guessing the partial wedge shot distances and not quite landing balls on the correct portion of the green. If I'm 70 yards out from the middle and they've tucked the flag in the way back to where it's closer to 90+ away, I'd be short more often than not. Knowing that it's 90 yards, I can hit a 3/4 gap wedge firmly. Previously, I'd only hit a 70-80 yard pitch shot, which gives me a long 1st putt.

A lot of guys have talked about the two basic methods for wedges... either get one and get the feel from 30-100, or get a grid and partial swings. I'm now a firm believer in having a grid chart for my bottom 4 clubs... however, the system doesn't fully work unless you have exact numbers. A laser and proper reading of pin / centre of green is critical, but it works, and works fabulously.

If I didn't have a rangefinder, I'd probably hone my skills on the feel approach. However, with a rangefinder, I get a number, I pick the correct wedge, and sure enough the only way I miss is if I don't get solid contact. Short or long because of a lack of info is no longer something that drives me crazy. I will not bother to play golf without a rangefinder in the bag. I'm faster, more confident, and score better. What's not to like?

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

Laser rangefinders are typically accurate to between 0.5 and 1 yard. You cannot achieve such accuracy with GPS or the mark I eyeball. There are multiple error sources that contribute to how far away your shot ends up away from the pin. You have complete control over determining the distance to the pin by using a rangefinder. You have little control over the environmental error (wind, temperature, lie, etc...) although keen judges of these factors will do better. Finally better execution will result in a more precise shot if your execution goal matches the actual yardage. If I hit a perfect shot I would much rather miss by the rangefinder error of maybe 1 yard vs. maybe 3 - 5 yards via other techniques.

Others have expounded on the virtues of rangefinders on the driving range and for determining situational awareness to bunkers, hazards, trees, ob stakes, etc... . No need to elaborate there.

Laser rangefinders are typically accurate to between 0.5 and 1 yard. You cannot achieve such accuracy with GPS or the mark I eyeball. There are multiple error sources that contribute to how far away your shot ends up away from the pin. You have complete control over determining the distance to the pin by using a rangefinder. You have little control over the environmental error (wind, temperature, lie, etc...) although keen judges of these factors will do better. Finally better execution will result in a more precise shot if your execution goal matches the actual yardage. If I hit a perfect shot I would much rather miss by the rangefinder error of maybe 1 yard vs. maybe 3 - 5 yards via other techniques.

Others have expounded on the virtues of rangefinders on the driving range and for determining situational awareness to bunkers, hazards, trees, ob stakes, etc... . No need to elaborate there.

This is a great point and part of the reason I got a RF for Christmas. Even if you're only off a few yards every time by using course markers, over the course of a round it can make a noticeable difference. It's also the reason I'm committing to using one golf ball this year. My distance control has been bad, due to changing golf balls, incorrect yardages, and imperfect swings. The first two can easily be changed. I think it will be especially nice with scoring clubs, as others have mentioned.

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

Maybe I'm just old-school, but I find the game of golf to be an opportunity to get away from electronics. Phone is on silent, no GPS or rangefinder, just the course and 14 clubs. Learning to judge distance visually is a huge part of the game. It takes a lot of practice, but learning to judge distance visually and knowing your actual iron and wedge distances and hitting them consistently is what it's all about, in my opinion.

Being good at guessing distance is only a huge part of the game if you don't use a rangefinder.

For instance if you don't carry any fairway woods or hybrids then hitting a 2-iron might become a huge oart of your game. But it is easy enough to eliminate long irons entirely by simply choosing other clubs.

For me playing without knowing the distances makes no more sense than learning to play without a putter and putting with a wedge. I can see how it would be an interesting challenge but the game is hard enough without tying one hand behind my back like that.

NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON GOLFWRX

Where Are You Waiting GIF by This GIF Is Haunted

Being good at guessing distance is only a huge part of the game if you don't use a rangefinder.

For instance if you don't carry any fairway woods or hybrids then hitting a 2-iron might become a huge oart of your game. But it is easy enough to eliminate long irons entirely by simply choosing other clubs.

For me playing without knowing the distances makes no more sense than learning to play without a putter and putting with a wedge. I can see how it would be an interesting challenge but the game is hard enough without tying one hand behind my back like that.

Point taken, and as I said, do whatever makes the game more enjoyable for you. Club technology is always evolving, but you still have to put a decent swing on the ball to get the intended result, therefore the human element isn't really lost, whether you're swinging a hybrid or a 2 iron. However, using a rangefinder takes the human element out of judging distances, and I don't know that shooting 90 one day and then shooting 110 the next just because your batteries run out on the rangefinder is a good excuse to not learn to judge distance visually. Just my opinion.

Point taken, and as I said, do whatever makes the game more enjoyable for you. Club technology is always evolving, but you still have to put a decent swing on the ball to get the intended result, therefore the human element isn't really lost, whether you're swinging a hybrid or a 2 iron. However, using a rangefinder takes the human element out of judging distances, and I don't know that shooting 90 one day and then shooting 110 the next just because your batteries run out on the rangefinder is a good excuse to not learn to judge distance visually. Just my opinion.

Carry spare battery. :derisive: Teasing. If you play for pay then a caddie takes care of all the yardage. A rangefinder is just a caddie-substitute without the psychological support, but the minimalist approach is equally fine. No need to carry the extra electrons that constantly intrude on our lives if you don't wish to.

My range finder didn't improve my game at all, but it did provide me with more accurate distances to the pin and various targets.

Of course, when I don't have it with me (it is going in for service), I sure miss it.

This and having more confidence with solid number rather than guessing/hesitant/undecided. No excuses now.

Maybe I'm just old-school, but I find the game of golf to be an opportunity to get away from electronics. Phone is on silent, no GPS or rangefinder, just the course and 14 clubs. Learning to judge distance visually is a huge part of the game. It takes a lot of practice, but learning to judge distance visually and knowing your actual iron and wedge distances and hitting them consistently is what it's all about, in my opinion.

Nah, no fun hitting a perfect shot to have it sail over the green into oblivion or fall short into a hazard. Might as well carry a hockey stick and slap the ball around the course. Golf is a target sport and meant to be played with precision. At least it's more fun that way for me.

Actually, old-school meant that pro caddies walked the courses prior to a tourney, carrying portable survey equipment, to fill in their yardage books. That was before RFs, and other types of electronics, became popular.

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

Actually, old-school meant that pro caddies walked the courses prior to a tourney, carrying portable survey equipment, to fill in their yardage books. That was before RFs, and other types of electronics, became popular.

I'm not a pro, and I don't have a caddie. Do you? Not trying to be argumentative, or denounce technology in any way. I just wanna show up to a course and know that I'll be able to shoot a decent round without a distance finding aid. It's not easy for most, myself included. If someone I'm playing with wants to use a rangefinder that's a-ok with me. I'm not being a technology Nazi here, just my opinion.

when I bought bushnell 1600 tournament edition laser 8yrs ago - it was the best $ I spent for golf

when I bought bushnell neo xs watch - that became the best $ I spent for golf

Why do you say this? What makes the watch better than your laser? I don't have either and am interested in your opinion.