2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Cross Nebraska Trip

Argonne69

Ah, nice read Argonne.

Years ago I tried to take my big rig and park it by Wildhorse so I could play it.

Couldn't find a big enough spot so had to carry on without playing it. I always

wanted to play it but, alas, don't know when I may ever get out that way again.

Please do put up some pics if you have them. Sounds like you're having a

blast. Thanks for bringing us along for the ride!

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, nice read Argonne.

Years ago I tried to take my big rig and park it by Wildhorse so I could play it.

That's too bad that you couldn't make it work Conrad. I think most people are shocked at the quality for $50(ish). Little town of Gothenburg with a course like that. How would you like to,have that as your home course?

Ah, nice read Argonne.

That's too bad that you couldn't make it work Conrad. I think most people are shocked at the quality for $50(ish). Little town of Gothenburg with a course like that. How would you like to,have that as your home course?

I could see it........but couldn't play it! Painful, lol.

I am a little spoiled having the RTJ trail but would love Wildhorse as my home

course for sure as I love those kinds of courses.

Back in 2006 or 7 I looked up the Golf Digest best 50 courses under $50 and

tried to play some as we drove around in the big truck. Wildhorse was on the

list. Did get a few of them in. One was in Garden City, KS. Forget the name

but it was out in the middle of nowhere, lol.

Another was Rochelle Ranch in Rawlins, WY. That was a fun course.

SLED Gemini

Totally bookmarking this thread!!! I started a job with offices in Omaha and Lincoln a few months back. I telecommute from Nashville, but looks like I need to bring my clubs and make a big trip out of it one time.

PS, granted it's been years and years since geography class, but i completely have failed until now to realize that Omaha/Lincoln are further north than Denver. Lol

Ah, nice read Argonne.

I've heard good things about Rochelle Ranch but haven't played it. We drive past in in early Novemner on our way to Mesquite. The greens are already covered for the winter.

Ah, nice read Argonne.

I've heard good things about Rochelle Ranch but haven't played it. We drive past in in early Novemner on our way to Mesquite. The greens are already covered for the winter.

Not worth a special trip but nice if you go by in July. Nice greens, wide open

and elevation changes. Like many out that way; designed with wind in mind.

SLED Gemini

I basically did this trip at the end of June this year. Started with arriving in Denver and driving and playing Bayside. Next day played Wildhorse and then drove up to the Prarie Club. That drive was unlike anything I have ever seen. Played Prarie Club for Two days. Then drove down to Dismal River club which would be the highlight for most trips. The service of club is top notch. Absolutely loved the Doak course except for the damned deer flys( little bastards hurt). Nicklaus course I would have to play a couple of times to figure out if I liked it or not. Some holes were really fun and some I didn't like so much. Overall I would love to get a chance to back out there again. The last stop on my trip was Sandhills golf club. Hands down the best golf course I have ever stepped foot onto. I parred the first 7 holes on the front nine and then bogeyed the last two on the front. Our fore caddie tells us after we finished the 12th" well guys that was the last of the easy holes". Wound up shooting a 83. After round was over we ate at Bens porch. Best golf trip of my life.

Totally bookmarking this thread!!! I started a job with offices in Omaha and Lincoln a few months back. I telecommute from Nashville, but looks like I need to bring my clubs and make a big trip out of it one time.

PS, granted it's been years and years since geography class, but i completely have failed until now to realize that Omaha/Lincoln are further north than Denver. Lol

Just make sure to hit Quarry Oaks too. And that one will be easy from your office.

I basically did this trip at the end of June this year. Started with arriving in Denver and driving and playing Bayside. Next day played Wildhorse and then drove up to the Prarie Club. That drive was unlike anything I have ever seen. Played Prarie Club for Two days. Then drove down to Dismal River club which would be the highlight for most trips. The service of club is top notch. Absolutely loved the Doak course except for the damned deer flys( little bastards hurt). Nicklaus course I would have to play a couple of times to figure out if I liked it or not. Some holes were really fun and some I didn't like so much. Overall I would love to get a chance to back out there again. The last stop on my trip was Sandhills golf club. Hands down the best golf course I have ever stepped foot onto. I parred the first 7 holes on the front nine and then bogeyed the last two on the front. Our fore caddie tells us after we finished the 12th" well guys that was the last of the easy holes". Wound up shooting a 83. After round was over we ate at Bens porch. Best golf trip of my life.

I played 36 on my trip to Sandhills and there is no question that it was the greatest golf experience of my life. When we were heading home we couldn't put into words the experience, at least not in a ways do it justice. The course is extremely difficult, incredible design and maintenance, salt of the earth people and it is all about golf. It isn't about 5-star resorts or world class practice facility, it is about golf in its purest form.

I shot 78-80 and was thrilled for my first and possibly only trip to that course (once per lifetime rule is strictly enforced).

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

For those asking about Wildhorse being your home course, I have considered it heavily because a membership is only $500. Yes it is 3 hours from my house but a trip once a mo th with 2/3 rounds would make it worth while

For those asking about Wildhorse being your home course, I have considered it heavily because a membership is only $500. Yes it is 3 hours from my house but a trip once a mo th with 2/3 rounds would make it worth while

That's about what it is for me too, I just don't travel that direction enough any more. Now last night my son was talking about a job opening in Lincoln, and with a new grandson to see.............

That's about what it is for me too, I just don't travel that direction enough any more. Now last night my son was talking about a job opening in Lincoln, and with a new grandson to see.............��

When I went a few weeks back it was 2h 15m from my dads door in Lincoln to the parking lot at WH. Worth the drive at 2 hours

i was surprised that I liked the Prarie club courses more than Wildhorse. I thought the dunes course was head and shoulders above Wildhorse and the pines was on par or slightly better than Wildhorse. I will say that the greens at Wildhorse were in great shape when I was there and some of the fastest I have played on.

Well the prairie club does cost 5 times more and is rated higher than Wild Horse so I am not overly surprised. What I would say is that Wild Horse does belong in the top 100 (as it is) and for the price it is highly unlikely you can do better anywhere in America

I have played Kiawah (Ocean), Oak Tree National, Doral , TPC Deere Run and some other well-known tracks across America. I enjoyed my round more, and would rather replay, at Wildhorse than any of those.

On my list, it is only behind Sand Hills, Prairie Dunes, and the Bandon foursome. (I have yet to play the Prairie Club).

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

Agreed. I enjoy Wild Horse over Harbor Town and Oak Tree National

Quarry Oaks was on the to do list, but they were booked with an outting on Saturday when I arrived, so it'll have to wait.

Dismal is definitely off the beaten trail. If you go, make sure you have a working GPS. There's no wireless service out there, so Google Maps is basically useless. I got turned around and wound up driving miles on a single lane sand road. Pretty disconcerting for a city guy. Lol.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Bayside this morning was a pleasant surprise. I categorize it as a prairie style course, with a sprinkling of links features. Lots of native grasses and few trees, with nice views of the reservoir. The front is OK, but the elevation changes on the back nine are excellent. As noted, the par 5 11th is a daunting hole. Seems to go on forever, and the infinity green is an added bonus. Yeah, the par 3 17th has a bunker in the middle of the green, but the flag was front left, so it didn't come into play. The par 5 15th is also another tough hole. Hard to really consider going for it in two, and the layup area is on a severe slope. Not an easy par.

Conditions were good, although a handful of greens had dead spots. However, they were on the outer edges. With practically no wind, it played easier than the slope would suggest, especially with the 3 short par 5's.

Had the best round of the week. I was 3 under after 4 holes, having birdied 1, 2, and 4. Number 1 was a kick in the teeth. Hit the perfect 5 wood to the center of the green, and had an uphill 10 foot eagle putt. The pin was on a goofy slope, and my putt came up 3 inches short, and proceeded to roll back 5 feet. WTF. Luckily I made the birdie putt.

After a few unforced errors, I made the turn 2 under. I was solid on the back, firing for the fat of the greens. A nice birdie on the short par 4 16th was the only highlight, and I finished the round with a sweet 69. 12 fairways and 15 greens will get it done any day.

Overall, I can see why the course is highly rated. Sure, it's not Dismal River or Prairie Club, but it's a solid track.

On my way to Denver.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Great thread. Looks like many are living vicariously through you, Argonne.

We drive from Chicago out to Colorado every winter for skiing. I80 is the most boring drive I ever... I can actually spy a glimpse of Wildhorse from 80 as we pass Gothenburg. It pains me to drive by it so often, knowing my chances of ever playing it are effectively nil.

We drive from Chicago out to Colorado every winter for skiing. I80 is the most boring drive I ever... I can actually spy a glimpse of Wildhorse from 80 as we pass Gothenburg. It pains me to drive by it so often, knowing my chances of ever playing it are effectively nil.

I have to agree that I-80 is a coma inducing drive, but a short detour north to the Sand Hills is worth the time. Pretty remarkable terrain. I can't imagine trekking through the hills in a covered wagon.

I have played Kiawah (Ocean), Oak Tree National, Doral , TPC Deere Run and some other well-known tracks across America. I enjoyed my round more, and would rather replay, at Wildhorse than any of those.

On my list, it is only behind Sand Hills, Prairie Dunes, and the Bandon foursome. (I have yet to play the Prairie Club).

I would rank Wild Horse above the Pines course at Prairie Club. The Dunes course is a few notches better.

Yes, I'll definitely post pics when I get back. I've taken hundreds, so it'll be tough to choose a few dozen.

I have to agree that I-80 is a coma inducing drive, but a short detour north to the Sand Hills is worth the time. Pretty remarkable terrain. I can't imagine trekking through the hills in a covered wagon.

There's actually a little more variety to the terrain as you get within about 100 miles of the Wyoming line but I'm guessing most take I76 into Denver and miss this stretch (it's not exciting by any means, but a little different). A little bit further north and west of the Sandhills (Scottsbluff area) you get into the wildcats hills and SB national monument area.

I made my first drive to Chixago last weekend and found the trip through Iowa infinitely more boring than the one through Nebraska. Nothing but corn! But there may be some home state bias in there too.

Funny Argonne, we've talked about what it would be like in the covered wagons. The Oregon trail ran through the national monument area I mentioned above.

Oh and nice round at Bayside.

Sounds like you keep lucking out on the weather! Bayside without wind is fairly gettable as your sweet 69 suggest, but no wind in the Sandhills region is pretty rare. Congrats on your great round, sounds like your are playing pretty much scratch on your trip.

Well the prairie club does cost 5 times more and is rated higher than Wild Horse so I am not overly surprised. What I would say is that Wild Horse does belong in the top 100 (as it is) and for the price it is highly unlikely you can do better anywhere in America

I do agree that for what you pay you can't beat Wildhorse

There's actually a little more variety to the terrain as you get within about 100 miles of the Wyoming line but I'm guessing most take I76 into Denver and miss this stretch (it's not exciting by any means, but a little different). A little bit further north and west of the Sandhills (Scottsbluff area) you get into the wildcats hills and SB national monument area.

I made my first drive to Chixago last weekend and found the trip through Iowa infinitely more boring than the one through Nebraska. Nothing but corn! But there may be some home state bias in there too.

Actually, the worst part of the drive is through my home state of Illinois from the Mississippi until Naperville, basically. I joke that I80 Nebraska makes I80 Iowa look like the Vegas Strip!

We usually do take the I76 split near Ogallala on to Denver, but the past two years we've gone to Steamboat, CO so we take I80 all the way to Laramie. Out towards Sidney the land gets somewhat more interesting. As I drive, I lay out imaginary golf holes over the landscape. The Pine Bluffs area on the NE/WY border is a particularly interesting landmark, to me, along the route. I wonder, if the conditions were perfect, if you could see the Rocky Mountains from one of the bluffs on the Nebraska side.

As "boring" as the plains are, they are awesome in their own way.

Actually, the worst part of the drive is through my home state of Illinois from the Mississippi until Naperville, basically. I joke that I80 Nebraska makes I80 Iowa look like the Vegas Strip!

We usually do take the I76 split near Ogallala on to Denver, but the past two years we've gone to Steamboat, CO so we take I80 all the way to Laramie. Out towards Sidney the land gets somewhat more interesting. As I drive, I lay out imaginary golf holes over the landscape. The Pine Bluffs area on the NE/WY border is a particularly interesting landmark, to me, along the route. I wonder, if the conditions were perfect, if you could see the Rocky Mountains from one of the bluffs on the Nebraska side.

As "boring" as the plains are, they are awesome in their own way.

If you ever get out that way during the summer Four Winds Golf Course in Kimball is a true hidden gem. It's worth a stop. Sidney isn't too shabby either.

Well, my luck with the weather didn't quite hold out. As I teed it up at Riverdale a front moved in, the temperature dropped 20 degrees, and the winds started howling at 25+ mph. Luckily my home course is similar to RD, and I was able to make a go of it. However, the start of the rain pretty much put a damper on the final round of the trip.

Can't say I was overly impressed by the course. I'm a Dye fan, but it didn't feel like he had a hand in this one. Perhaps it was simply a matter of having played too many great courses in a number of days, and the lack of "pop" left me wanting. Anyway, the course was in nice shape, with speedy greens, and I'm sure it's a nice layout for local play.

Of course my Southwest flight is delayed. Can't remember the last time I had an on time departure. I'll be getting home after 1 am, and will have a good sleep in tomorrow morning. I'm a bit surprised my body isn't more sore, having played a personal best 10 rounds in 6 days. I'm sure I'll be back on the course on Saturday, although Sunday might be more likely.

I'll post pics shortly, as well as a summary and a ranking of the courses. At this point I'm very glad I made the trek, although I doubt I would do it a 2nd time. I drove 950+ miles, teed off numerous times before I would generally be out of bed on a work day, and had a number of mediocre meals. Still, it was all about the golf, and it was fantastic. The scenery of the Sand Hills was a nice bonus.

It's a little known fact that Illinois is the 2nd flatest state in the country next to Florida. Any dissing of any drive by a resident of Illinois should be greeted by an eye roll and a sigh. Lol.