2016 Olympics - Woman's

AKL Kiwi

Venue: Reserva de Marapendi, Barra Da Tijuca, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

Date: Aug 17– Aug 20

Course stats: par 71 6,500 yards (5,944m)

Format: 72 holes

Purse: Gold, Silver, Bronze medals.

Title Champion: First event since 1904

The field for this tournament (60) with no cut.

Official Website: http://www.nbcolympics.com/golf

Twitter: https://twitter.com/...cs/with_replies

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure why we can not have a separate thread for the ladies now. See how it goes...

This is an interesting event that may or may not be around in the future. Does anyone know if the results are accepted for RR points? I guess winning has bragging rights but if anyone outside of Lydia wins they can't claim to be the best player in the world. I have to go with Ariya as favourite here to win on her current form and certainly the winner coming from one of the RR top 15. Of course I will be rooting for New Zealand aka Lydia. I thought it was a great gesture from N.Z Golf to drop our automatic second player here so as to increase the field strength and give a player from another country more deserving of a place.

Not sure why we can not have a separate thread for the ladies now. See how it goes...

This is an interesting event that may or may not be around in the future. Does anyone know if the results are accepted for RR points? I guess winning has bragging rights but if anyone outside of Lydia wins they can't claim to be the best player in the world. I have to go with Ariya as favourite here to win on her current form and certainly the winner coming from one of the RR top 15. Of course I will be rooting for New Zealand aka Lydia. I thought it was a great gesture from N.Z Golf to drop our automatic second player here so as to increase the field strength and give a player from another country more deserving of a place.

I didn't know this, so I did some digging on the interwebs...

From NZ Golf's press release

"At this time New Zealand Golf would like to acknowledge the special effort of Cathryn Bristow to qualify for the Olympic Games.

While Bristow was nominated for selection by New Zealand Golf, she was not selected for the New Zealand team by the NZOC based on not being able to demonstrate the ability to finish inside the top 16 in Rio."

At the time of (non) selection, Bristow was ranked 446th in the RR.

Well, guess how many players in the field are ranked outside the top 400? There are NINE.

More than a third of the field (21/60) are ranked outside the top 200. Nearly half (28/60) are ranked outside the top 100!

NZ Golf should've just let Bristow go to RIO. What does "demonstrate the ability to finish in the top 16" mean anyway?

I didn't know this, so I did some digging on the interwebs...

From NZ Golf's press release

"At this time New Zealand Golf would like to acknowledge the special effort of Cathryn Bristow to qualify for the Olympic Games.

While Bristow was nominated for selection by New Zealand Golf, she was not selected for the New Zealand team by the NZOC based on not being able to demonstrate the ability to finish inside the top 16 in Rio."

Well, guess how many players in the field are ranked outside the top 400? There are NINE.

More than a third of the field (21/60) are ranked outside the top 200. Nearly half (28/60) are ranked outside the top 100!

NZ Golf should've just let Bristow go to RIO. What does "demonstrate the ability to finish in the top 16" mean anyway?

I got to give the NZOC a big thumbs down for this decision! I think it was a crap move on their part.

Meaning New Zealand Golf does not have enough money to grease the palms of the NZOC. :D

(New Zealand Golf nominated her for selection, but it was the NZOC who rejected it )

Netherlands rejected BOTH of their women golfers. I think their criteria is RR 100 or better.

Then the week after NZOC rejected her Bristow finished 11th, her highest on the Ladies Euro Tour....

Lydia looks to be having a blast and giving her normal here to have fun speech, was out watching Ryan and Danny in the last round too but without knowing the reasons etc I'm very surprised she is not staying in the village, are others doing the same? Ryan and Danny have left for their next tournaments hope Lydia hangs around for the closing ceremony be great to see her next to our shot put champ Val.

This morning on TGC they stated the course for the women will be played at 6,245 yards at par of 71.

They also broadcast the men played at 7,100 yards.

Seriously? The red tees?

These women are professionals - should it not be a combo of finesse, accuracy and power?

Let's be generous and cut 10% of the men's yardage - 6,400 yards. Still seems short.

I've got to question the setup. Don't you? This is the Olympics, not the weekly LPGA event.

And now TGC with Kay Cockrell boasting how women can do anything the men can do. Yes, they compete and no one expect women to play the men's setup, but what does this setup say about the state of the women's game for the Olympics? Seems odd.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

This morning on TGC they stated the course for the women will be played at 6,245 yards at par of 71.

Seriously? The red tees?

These women are professionals - should it not be a combo of finesse, accuracy and power?

Let's be generous and cut 10% of the men's yardage - 6,400 yards. Still seems short.

I've got to question the setup. Don't you? This is the Olympics, not the weekly LPGA event.

And now TGC with Kay Cockrell boasting how women can do anything the men can do. Yes, they compete and no one expect women to play the men's setup, but what does this setup say about the state of the women's game for the Olympics? Seems odd.

The women average about 85% of the mens distances though as I recall-that would be 6035. So who is playing a short track?

Titleist TSR3 9° Tensei Pro Blue 60 

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Seriously? The red tees?

The women average about 85% of the mens distances though as I recall-that would be 6035. So who is playing a short track?

I think the women are playing a short track.

Is 85% a standard?

A lot of middle aged amateur men play 6300-6600 yards on slower tracks and can score although they are not in a tourney.

I can see it if the women don't want embarrassing scores. But I've heard they put it out there 240-270.

6250 just seems short for an Olympic event - that is all.

BUT look at it in this way. If you have a 6250 course with 4 par 3's averaging 140 yrds, that leaves an average of 406 yards per hole for the remaining 14. Some of these will be under 400 yards and par 5s will be (I assume) 450 yards.

The top 100 women in driving distance on the LPGA average 250 yards off the driver.

Just does not seem like a yuuuuuuge challenge in terms of distance.

• Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

Seriously? The red tees?

Here's a link to Trackman numbers for the LPGA and PGA.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/430703-lpga-tour-average-launchcarryspin-numbers-for-all-clubs/

The ladies average drive carry is about 82% of what the men's average carry is. At Rio, the ladies will play a course that is about 88% of what the men play.

At 7100 yards for the men, the ladies should be playing a course between 6000 and 6100. Or flipping it the other way, at 6245 for the women, the men should have been playing a course around 7350.

So if you want to question the setup, then either the men played a course that was too short or the ladies are playing a course that is too long.

Seriously? The red tees?

I think the women are playing a short track.

Is 85% a standard?

A lot of middle aged amateur men play 6300-6600 yards on slower tracks and can score although they are not in a tourney.

I can see it if the women don't want embarrassing scores. But I've heard they put it out there 240-270.

6250 just seems short for an Olympic event - that is all.

BUT look at it in this way. If you have a 6250 course with 4 par 3's averaging 140 yrds, that leaves an average of 406 yards per hole for the remaining 14. Some of these will be under 400 yards and par 5s will be (I assume) 450 yards.

The top 100 women in driving distance on the LPGA average 250 yards off the driver.

Just does not seem like a yuuuuuuge challenge in terms of distance.

PGA tour averages what? 290? So 85% of 290 is 246-about the LPGA average. So are they playing too short or are the men? Middle aged men playing 6600 are fooling themselves. They are playing a much longer course than the tour boys play relatively.

I just do not buy into an 85% figure for ALL aspects of the setup or game. Why do women on average, seem to have a mediocre short game? Or is that the nature of male-female differences? Lack of eye-hand coordination of the short game? The inability to hit finesse shots? What is the reason? Is the reason valid?

6250 seems short.

• Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

The median driving distance for the women is 250, and that's for the top players on the LPGA. A 6100 yard course is about right. Your typical amateur male is kidding themselves playing 6600 to 6800 yards. They should be playing between 6300 and 6400 yards.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I just do not buy into an 85% figure for ALL aspects of the setup or game. Why do women on average, seem to have a mediocre short game? Or is that the nature of male-female differences? Lack of eye-hand coordination of the short game? The inability to hit finesse shots? What is the reason? Is the reason valid?

6250 seems short.

Not understanding why you don't buy into something that is a proven fact. Quite simply the LPGA pros hit the ball somewhere between 80-85% as far as the PGA pros do with every club.

Thus it's very easy to figure out if the ladies are playing at a yardage that is too long or too short compared to men. Pretty cut and dried.

6250 seems short.

Moving the goalposts much? Let's talk about length as you brought it up. Do you have stats on the short game differences or just anecdotal evidence? But yes-6250 SEEMS short. Just shows that the mens tour is really playing an easier game than the womens tour or your middle aged guys at home. :)

Another reason why golf shouldn't be a teams event. Lydia is the favourite this week, you then go and team her up with someone ranked 500th in the world and New Zealand has no shot at winning a gold.

C'mon Lydia.

It will be interesting to see how the ladies fair compared to the men. The less distance seems about correct. Should be an interesting comparison to gauge the 2 games against.

XR16 Driver 11.5 Prolaunch Blue Axis reg spine aligned FLOed 45.25" 245y
Adams Speed Line Fast 12 Fairway 17 degrees stock Prolaunch Blue Speedcoat reg spine aligned FLOed 220y
Wilson19.5 Fybrid FY(fairway bridge) stock reg Prolaunch V2 spine aligned FLOed 200y
Adams Super Pro 23 Hybrid Stock Prolaunch Platinium reg spine aligned FLOed 190y
i25 Black Dot 4i-9i Z-Z65 1/2" Long(4-7i with bounce grind) 180-130y
i25 Black Dot UW weakened to 48 Z-Z65 1/2" Long 115y
TM TP 52-9(bent to 53) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/2" long 100y
TM TP 58-10(bent to 59 bounce ground to 6) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/4" long 85y
Evnroll ER5 370g Hatchback 34" No 30g counterweight 69 degrees Lie 4 Loft Winn Jumbo Lite Pistol 59g Grip Black Tone
All 13 grips GP MCC+4 Grey Logo hidden/down midsize +1 tape layer
Callaway Chrome Soft Ball White
Mizuno Skintite Glove

6250 seems short.

Not understanding why you don't buy into something that is a proven fact. Quite simply the LPGA pros hit the ball somewhere between 80-85% as far as the PGA pros do with every club.

Thus it's very easy to figure out if the ladies are playing at a yardage that is too long or too short compared to men. Pretty cut and dried.

Do they ever change the 85% figure?

My job on a daily basis is to question everything -- it's what I do -- when I heard 6250, I had to question it. No offense meant.

If you take the 100th Driving Distance on LPGA - 250 yards versus 100th Driving Distance of the men on the PGA Tour, it equals 289 yards. Is that a valid difference? Maybe not. But the difference is 39 yards X 14 = 546. Let's be generous and say 600 yds. That would put the course at 6500 yds. If you subtract 550 for par 3 holes (avg of approx. 140 yds), you get 5950 remaining yds. That makes the avg yardage of 425 over 14 holes. Let's say you have 4 par 5's averaging 475 yds. The remaining 10 holes would avg 405 yards. Let's get that average down to 395, and you get a course of 6400 yds. Of course, you will have a short par 4 and a longer par 5 in the layout.

So I did more searching. Remember, I'm just a guy who questions and searches, and I did not do much searching in this instance. I found an article stating that Hanse intentionally is playing a shorter course for both men and women, and wanted both to play the same irons on approaches. So it seems reasonable if the averages they use are valid. See his rationale below:

http://www.pgatour.c...gs-to-know.html

As I stated, it's a topic for discussion and seems valid. I would think an 85% difference as standard should always be challenged and reviewed for the credibility of the game. Hanse used Amy Alcott as a consultant - great woman player of her era - 60 yrs old. Not to be rude, but my next question would have been, "Fine, but what about input from today's players?"

My impetus for the post was Kay Cockrell on TGC yesterday boasting about women can do everything men can do. No doubt they can do it, but how well can they do it? What is the comparison? I thought Kay went a tad overboard.

From the article by Hanse on the Olympics course:

"5. Same clubs for men and women. From a club selection standpoint, there should be little difference between the two events. Knowing that the course was going to host both the men and women, Hanse said “an overriding concern” was having the men and women hitting similar clubs into the greens on their given weeks. Legendary LPGA player Amy Alcott was a design consultant, and helped immensely from that standpoint.

“If we’re asking the men to hit driver, 7 iron into a hole, and we’ve designed it as such, we need to sort of have the ladies play a similar-type shot,” Hanse said during a recent interview on the On Tap radio show.

That doesn’t mean the men and women will face similar obstacles in the landing zones. Hanse did not want to create massively long fairway bunkering; thus, there could be holes in which the men may need to avoid fairway bunkers while the women must deal with fairway undulations."

• Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

Another reason why golf shouldn't be a teams event. Lydia is the favourite this week, you then go and team her up with someone ranked 500th in the world and New Zealand has no shot at winning a gold.

C'mon Lydia.

That's exactly why it should be a team event.

6250 seems short.

My job on a daily basis is to question everything -- it's what I do -- when I heard 6250, I had to question it. No offense meant.

If you take the 100th Driving Distance on LPGA - 250 yards versus 100th Driving Distance of the men on the PGA Tour, it equals 289 yards. Is that a valid difference? Maybe not. But the difference is 39 yards X 14 = 546. Let's be generous and say 600 yds. That would put the course at 6500 yds. If you subtract 550 for par 3 holes (avg of approx. 140 yds), you get 5950 remaining yds. That makes the avg yardage of 425 over 14 holes. Let's say you have 4 par 5's averaging 475 yds. The remaining 10 holes would avg 405 yards. Let's get that average down to 395, and you get a course of 6400 yds. Of course, you will have a short par 4 and a longer par 5 in the layout.

So I did more searching. Remember, I'm just a guy who questions and searches, and I did not do much searching in this instance. I found an article stating that Hanse intentionally is playing a shorter course for both men and women, and wanted both to play the same irons on approaches. So it seems reasonable if the averages they use are valid. See his rationale below:

As I stated, it's a topic for discussion and seems valid. I would think an 85% difference as standard should always be challenged and reviewed for the credibility of the game. Hanse used Amy Alcott as a consultant - great woman player of her era - 60 yrs old. Not to be rude, but my next question would have been, "Fine, but what about input from today's players?"

My impetus for the post was Kay Cockrell on TGC yesterday boasting about women can do everything men can do. No doubt they can do it, but how well can they do it? What is the comparison? I thought Kay went a tad overboard.

"5. Same clubs for men and women. From a club selection standpoint, there should be little difference between the two events. Knowing that the course was going to host both the men and women, Hanse said “an overriding concern” was having the men and women hitting similar clubs into the greens on their given weeks. Legendary LPGA player Amy Alcott was a design consultant, and helped immensely from that standpoint.

“If we’re asking the men to hit driver, 7 iron into a hole, and we’ve designed it as such, we need to sort of have the ladies play a similar-type shot,” Hanse said during a recent interview on the On Tap radio show.

That doesn’t mean the men and women will face similar obstacles in the landing zones. Hanse did not want to create massively long fairway bunkering; thus, there could be holes in which the men may need to avoid fairway bunkers while the women must deal with fairway undulations."

Since it is your job to question everything, you should start with your first long paragraph above that starts with "If you take the 100th driving distance" because it makes absolutely no sense. You didn't even factor in 2nd and 3rd shots at all.

The latter half of your post makes sense from the standpoint of LPGA pros hitting the same clubs to the green that PGA pros hit. That's absolutely the fairest way to determine yardages played. Do some calculations and you will find that on par 4's there should be an approximate 70 yard difference in hole yardages. Go ahead and finish those calculations for par 3's and par 5's and let us know what you come up with. I'll give you a hint. It will tell you that there should be at least a 1000 yard difference between men and women. If not more.

^^ What he said :) If you are going to "question everything" please look at everything-not just the tee shot. Do you really think the women drive about 85% of the men and then magically hit their 7 iron the same distance as men? So many posters say the women are weak and play a boring game because it is driver hybrid all day. Hmmm, maybe that is because they play a course that is relatively longer than the men do.

6250 seems short.

Since it is your job to question everything, you should start with your first long paragraph above that starts with "If you take the 100th driving distance" because it makes absolutely no sense. You didn't even factor in 2nd and 3rd shots at all.

The latter half of your post makes sense from the standpoint of LPGA pros hitting the same clubs to the green that PGA pros hit. That's absolutely the fairest way to determine yardages played. Do some calculations and you will find that on par 4's there should be an approximate 70 yard difference in hole yardages. Go ahead and finish those calculations for par 3's and par 5's and let us know what you come up with. I'll give you a hint. It will tell you that there should be at least a 1000 yard difference between men and women. If not more.

Just questioning assumptions/standards and whether the standard may require adjusting. Thanks for the suggestions. Enjoy the tournamemt. But if the average par 4 is less than 400 yards and drives it 250, are you saying they take a hybrid from less than 150? You can dwell on that if you want. I don't have time. (HInt - It's time to earn the paycheck).

• Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

^^ What he said :) If you are going to "question everything" please look at everything-not just the tee shot. Do you really think the women drive about 85% of the men and then magically hit their 7 iron the same distance as men? So many posters say the women are weak and play a boring game because it is driver hybrid all day. Hmmm, maybe that is because they play a course that is relatively longer than the men do.

I posted Hanse's rationale for the course design - give the post a read. I tried to make friendly but some of you haven't had your coffee. Growl! lol.

• Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

Venue: Reserva de Marapendi, Barra Da Tijuca, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

Date: Aug 17– Aug 20

Course stats: par 71 6,500 yards (5,944m)

Format: 72 holes

Purse: Gold, Silver, Bronze medals.

Title Champion: First event since 1904

The field for this tournament (60) with no cut.

Official Website: http://www.nbcolympics.com/golf

Twitter: https://twitter.com/...cs/with_replies

Thanks for posting this. The merged thread on Tour Talk was hopeless for the women's competition.