2024 Fedex St Jude WITB Photos ×

Am I the only one on this forum...

Sean2

It helps to play a high draw off the tee for longer drives. I average around 270 off the tee, and I'm 5' 9", 145 lbs. On better days, I have caught 2 or 3 300 yarders, and I know this because the GPS says it. It's definitely an ego booster to hit them, but we all know that ego has no place in golf.

Short game is where it's at, regardless of how far you can bomb it. I have scored better on days that my approaches, chipping, and putting were "ON", than days that I'm driving the ball well. As long as you can hit a 250 yard drive in the fairway, that should be enough.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

definatly not alone, i avg like 275 and i have had 1 drave over 300, and it was severly down hill and at about 8500 feet above sea level (pole creek, ridge course, 9th hole) which was 335 haha, but other than that, i do not hit much over 275 ever, not alone pal!

Are you kidding me? You had XX flex shafts in your driver a week ago! No One hitting 275 uses a XX and 7.0's.

[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=3]Bridgestone J33R 460 9.5* - Aldila Voodoo XNV6[/size][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=3]TEE XCG6 15* - Testing [/size][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=3]Ping Rapture 18* - Aldila NV 105-X[/size][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=3]Ping Rapture 24* - Project X 6.5[/size][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=3]Cobra '08 Pro CB Forged 5-PW - Project X 6.5 (Satin)[/size][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=3]Vokey SM 50* and 54* - DG S400[/size][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=3]Callaway X-Tour Forged PM Grind 58* - DG S400[/size][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=3]Seemore M1 Milled[/size][/font]

definatly not alone, i avg like 275 and i have had 1 drave over 300, and it was severly down hill and at about 8500 feet above sea level (pole creek, ridge course, 9th hole) which was 335 haha, but other than that, i do not hit much over 275 ever, not alone pal!

Are you kidding me? You had XX flex shafts in your driver a week ago! No One hitting 275 uses a XX and 7.0's.

Ha ha ha ha LMAO.....Busted :bad: :ok: :) :drinks:

My good drives barely get over 270. I've seen a few longer hitters but most lack control. I can go 10 more yds. and lose all control as well. lol. Anyone who hits over 300 and has any control is not playing as a hobby IMO. I've seen a kid carry a drive over 320 but he also plays Division 1 and just beat up on the RI Amatuer field pretty good. Not to mention he had a very good swing and 6'4" about 225 didn't hurt either I'm sure.

guess I'll stand up for the 300+ club here. :bad: actually, I probably average 285 or 290 on an average day, but if I'm "on", its 300-320 with a slight fade, every drive. there's a 325 yard par 4 at my home course that I've driven a couple times, and I almost put it in the water just in front of the green on a 420 yarder (only had 70 left that time, only had 90 left on the same hole the next week).

But I have to add, if I'm off, its not pretty. and I can get really far off.

so rest assured that I may hit it past you, but you'll probably end up with a better score most of the time. . .atleast for now.

Yeah, I'm pretty similar to you Villa, my drives are generally straight to a slight fade and I hit inbetween 230-260m drives - and the fairways were a little damp :ok:. What's that, 250-290. One of the holes at my old course I could regularly bust out 300m drives, but it was downhill, generally with a right to left wind and the ground was very dry and hard :bad: a recipe for long driving.

PS: I'm 6" 1 and would be lucky to be 125lb when wet - so u definately don't have to be to big to knock it out there. I reckon TeetoGreen could justify that

I play a lot of solo golf at local muni's and I have run into maybe 4 or 5 guys over several years who legitimately hit the ball at or close to 300 yards. Nobody that I normally play with can hit the ball much past 250 on a good day (self included, I drove a local 260-yard hole the other day and was quite proud). I will say that my brother-in-law who is a legitimate 300 yard driver on a regular basis is one of the few 300 yard guys I have ever met...he hits the ball like a rocket and it is a joy to see.

There are a few LEGIT 300 yard guys out there, just few and far between in my experience...maybe this forum has a higher percentage of guys who hit the long ball welll, mostly because their games are better tuned than the average golfer.

Here's one for ya......I have a friend who used to be a assit. pro....played in college and some Hooter's.. has no mental for the game but he is built like a super athlete very flexible...went on a binge at the gym for a couple of years....being out of the business making money....before he :bad: quit playing regularly he would hit it 310-320........after the gym some time on the range shaft upgrades..340-360... it is retarted.......swing honestly is so good but his brain can't play golf way to immature...even at his age now.........the only good thing is HE IS ONE OF THE BEST SCRAMBLE PARTNERS YOU CAN HAVE!!....just don't think he is going to make the putt.....lol

Just to put this in perspective this is a list of the average tour driving distance as of June 19, 2007;

Rank Name Rnds Stat

1 Bubba Watson 53 315.1

2 J.B. Holmes 44 308.7

3 John Daly 29 308.5

4 Robert Garrigus 51 307.8

5 Harrison Frazar 52 301.6

6 Anthony Kim 61 300.5

7 Brett Wetterich 52 300.1

8 Charles Howell III 59 299.9

9 Steve Marino 60 299.7

10 Charles Warren 55 298.6

11 Steve Allan 33 297.9

12 Robert Allenby 50 297.6

13 Mathias Gronberg 48 297.5

14 Bill Haas 47 297.3

15 Nick Watney 49 297.2

Thats only the top 15, Tiger is 25th at 295.3 and there is 6 players under 270! I just have a hard time believing that any average Joe golfer is averaging over 290 when only the top 53 pros are. Personally I average about 260 (Average!) but can hit the odd 280-290 but if I want it in the fairway the lower number is usually a better option.

jesus, if i could consistently hit the ball 290+ the game would be far easier.

Believe me - the game IS much easier if you can poke it ~300 straight on regular basis. Can't beat hitting PW or less into the green... Now, if only putting was that easy... :bad:

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

I swear, you would think it makes it easier, but its not really the case. the finishing hole on my home course requires a fade if you want to hit driver, a shot I usually have in the bag (I can hit a 3 iron through the fairway if I hit it straight). a couple weeks ago I hit a nice power fade and only had 95 left. proceeded to blade a SW out of bounds and ended up taking an 8. the next week I topped my drive not to far past the ladies tees, hit a beutiful 7 iron and 2 putted for par.

I would gladly give up 20 yards on my drives and 10 yards on every single iron if I could have consistency.

I am 15 and outdrive most of the kids and adults I play with. I hit it around 280-300. at my last tournament i hit a 314 yd drive on a flat hole and made birdie. My short game is pretty good, especially my wedges, putting could be better.

The other day i played in a thing at my course called the Game. Its where you sign up for gross total, skins, KP's and all that. and I was outdriving every one in my group, and then the excuses started coming up from the guys like " o well i stayed up drinking all night so im a little weak " , and " Man I just cant get ahold of one today" and by all means i am not a very big kid. I am 5 8 and weigh 128 lbs. so that was getting to these guys, It didnt help that i thumped them in score too, but there were a handful of Mini tour players and Nationwide in that, so winning scores were like 67 and 68

Do you guys swing as hard as you can on drives? I know I do not, and I usually get 260-ish. But if I really put the screws to it, and I make contact with the ball, I'll get 300 easy. My chances of hitting a good fairway shot decrease, but there's not a problem reaching the 300 mark. I don't see why this is so hard for people to accept.

As for the pro's, it's my understanding that they take the average on only 2 holes per round. A player may not need to hit 100%, or may not even want to for control reasons. I would say most of them are playing for position, and the win--not distance.

But when I'm playing with my buddies on that long, straight hole, I'm playing for distance. I like being 20, 30, or even 50 yards further than they are. Man up.

I think that the problem is that people actually genuinely believe that they're hitting 300 yrd. drives. They do the math on a hole, probably a dogleg. There's a par 5 at my home course that says 510 on the card... and it's a slight dogleg left. Not really, but sort of. I consistenly hit it past the 200 yard marker. Does this mean I hit a 310 yard drive? Nope, but I'm sure the majority might say it was.

I think that the problem is that people actually genuinely believe that they're hitting 300 yrd. drives. They do the math on a hole, probably a dogleg.

Yeah, the math on a hole is always trouble--tees can be forward or back for the day, and who knows what else factors into the guess. I use a SureShot GPS for my measurements. Google Earth can provide a good estimate too, although I wouldn't trust is as much as a GPS unit. I have found it to be pretty accurate overall though.

It's funny because I've hit some drives and though, "Man, that was the one!", and then after I measure them it wasn't all that great.

I think that the problem is that people actually genuinely believe that they're hitting 300 yrd. drives. They do the math on a hole, probably a dogleg.

Yeah, the math on a hole is always trouble--tees can be forward or back for the day, and who knows what else factors into the guess. I use a SureShot GPS for my measurements. Google Earth can provide a good estimate too, although I wouldn't trust is as much as a GPS unit. I have found it to be pretty accurate overall though.

It's funny because I've hit some drives and though, "Man, that was the one!", and then after I measure them it wasn't all that great.

I have a problem with the assumption that anyone hitting a golf ball over 300 yards is automatically and obviously mentally handicapped when it comes to math and common sense.

I'm sorry, I'm sure I sound mad; I'm not. I understand that your statements aren't meant to be personal attacks directed towards me or anyone else. but you must concede that part of golf is determining yardages. I'm quite good at figuring out how far I am from a green, as we all are, since its part of the game. to assume that its impossible to also determine our distance from the tee box doesn't make any sense. (is it harder? yes)

when people come on here and say "I average 250-265", no one questions it. you just believe that their math is correct because 250 yards is "believable" based on your standards. No one demeans them by calling their number a "guess". I would appreciate the same courtesy.

again, I'm sorry if I'm being over-zelous. . .I just feel a need to speak up.

I play golf quite frequently and I hardly run into 300 yard plus drivers. My home course is the University of Florida Golf Club, and whenever I see the golf team members playing the golf course, I make a note to watch them. They hit the ball 300 yards easily, every time, with extreme consistency. With that said, however, 99% of the golfers I run into on the course "kill" their driver 280 yards and average about 260 -- just like myself.

I did run into Camillo Villegas the other day on the UF Golf Course (he resides in Gainesville), but he went off to some secluded part of the course. Thus, I was sadly unable to watch him bomb his drives. Would've been a real treat though.