Stoatin Brae: Augusta, MI

kalamazoo

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool piece of land for that area the back 9 is legit and the front has some great strategy and fun features in a few years the grass will grow in nicely and it will be a very good course. Right now though ...putts didn’t hold the line and the first cut of rough was very penal and inconsistent due to the new growth. I had a blast and look forward to seeing it in a few years. If it was local and $40 I would be ecstatic but its not and they might be charging to much early on to make it make sense for that area.

Very cool piece of land for that area the back 9 is legit and the front has some great strategy and fun features in a few years the grass will grow in nicely and it will be a very good course. Right now though ...putts didn’t hold the line and the first cut of rough was very penal and inconsistent due to the new growth. I had a blast and look forward to seeing it in a few years. If it was local and $40 I would be ecstatic but its not and they might be charging to much early on to make it make sense for that area.

Spot on. Keep in mind they’re charging that much because it’s a resort course and they will get it. It’s also scale priced, so locals play cheap(ish) when it’s slow.

Looks like they have dropped prices to $65 weekday and $45 after 4:00. Seems prices right now so hopefully business picks up.

Any update on the greens? A ranger at GLVsaid greens are way to slow and course is no longer playing fast and firm. Any truth to that?

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

Looks like they have dropped prices to $65 weekday and $45 after 4:00. Seems prices right now so hopefully business picks up.

Any update on the greens? A ranger at GLVsaid greens are way to slow and course is no longer playing fast and firm. Any truth to that?

Absolutely true. They are waaaay too slow. Not really sure what they’re doing with them.

Absolutely true. They are waaaay too slow. Not really sure what they're doing with them.

Wtf? Its a links style track. Last year they were too hard and fast. Sure they needed to soften then, but not to this extreme

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S 

Callaway AI Smoke Max Project X Denali Black 70S 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5

Wedges ???

Odyssey Dual Force Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

Absolutely true. They are waaaay too slow. Not really sure what they're doing with them.

Wtf? Its a links style track. Last year they were too hard and fast. Sure they needed to soften then, but not to this extreme

I know from talking to the pro that they were trying to absorb some moisture to avoid the total burn out they had last year where the greens were obnoxiously hard, but with all the rain we’ve had so far this summer I’m not sure why they’re still keeping the greens so slow. The fringes are long too, and you’d think a link style course would have more of a tight fade.

Like I said, not sure what they are doing.

I was going to head out to Stoatin Brae this Monday 7/2 for the 1st time ... but based on conditions above, would you folks advise waiting for my maiden voyage?

No not at all, it’s still a very enjoyable course. Greens are just slower than expected, but they still roll very true and they’re in great shape. The fairways are gorgeous and the views are nice. You’ll probably actually have a more enjoyable round due to the greens being slow...last year they were like trampolines and you couldnt get a 60degree wedge shot with 1000ft apex to hold on them, it was very frustrating. The course is very scorable right now and definitely worth playing ?

Agree....some of the best par 3’s I’ve ever seen. Some people last year complained about how fast and firm it was. Most of them don’t understand Links Golf

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

Agree....some of the best par 3’s I’ve ever seen. Some people last year complained about how fast and firm it was. Most of them don’t understand Links Golf

I’m gonna have to respectfully disagree. Many of the complaints last year were warranted because the greens were too baked out but the fairways and and fringes were long and shaggy so you couldn’t play the course like a links style course. It’s not a matter “understanding links golf”...the problem is that it’s a links style course that’s not conditioned like a links style course. The only thing links-ish about it is the lack of trees and fast greens.

It’s a lot better this year and will continue to get better as it matures.

Kzoo,

You know Golf. Just saying on most true links courses scoring is tough. Bump and run shots are the norm and people who think they can drop a 7 iron and spin it back get mad when their ball rolls off green. The course was built with the idea that it was going to be a tough track where most people would not be shooting course records. Bouncing the ball up or rolling it up should be the primary shot. Putting from off the green is usually the best Choice instead of a wedge. I’m sure you will agree Stoatin Brae is a fabulous golf course and most of the drunken Golf groups who played it don’t understand how to play that style of golf.

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

Agree....some of the best par 3's I've ever seen. Some people last year complained about how fast and firm it was. Most of them don't understand Links Golf

What does SB have to due with links golf other than planting heather? All the greens are elevated and have false fronts. Its not designed to be played on the ground yet they try to convince you to try. It may someday be a nice course, but its not there yet.

When we played it, the greens were like concrete. You couldn't hold the green coming in high or low. That's not golf. Maybe they are watering the greens better, but last year was very draught like and both the fairways and greens were rock hard. We all said they saved money by not buying topsoil or installing irrigation.

It's typical for new greens to take 1-3 years to normalize in firmness because they don't have a thatch layer yet.

+1.

SB isn't a links course (no fescue fairways, no body of water). There is basically no heather in the US either except a few courses on Long Island. More or less SB is a Prairie course. If a green has a false front you hit short of the false front. I disagree, if the approaches are done well it's great golf. I love playing really firm courses, they make you think

Love everyone in this Michigan forum. Lots of Golf knowledge and I think it’s fair to say that most of us have played the vast majority of Michigan tracks.

You can call Stoatin Brae whatever you want but to me it’s as close to a Links course as I’ve ever played. Best fast and firm I’ve played

I feel that with Stoatin Brae or the Loop you either love them or hate em. Bottom line is they are a different style of golf compared to what our State has to offer and to me that’s exciting and interesting.

I’ll be back for sure. Pure Michigan

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

Agree....some of the best par 3's I've ever seen. Some people last year complained about how fast and firm it was. Most of them don't understand Links Golf

What does SB have to due with links golf other than planting heather? All the greens are elevated and have false fronts. Its not designed to be played on the ground yet they try to convince you to try. It may someday be a nice course, but its not there yet.

When we played it, the greens were like concrete. You couldn't hold the green coming in high or low. That's not golf. Maybe they are watering the greens better, but last year was very draught like and both the fairways and greens were rock hard. We all said they saved money by not buying topsoil or installing irrigation.

Just like a course north of Toronto. It's like they are those dolls with the string you pull to say "links style" at every opportunity. But like SB, the greens are elevated, and come in a foot short you roll all the way back down. I played an Old Course, and a New one, and had a Jubilee in celebration that tell me that is not links golf.

But marketers will marketer ..

It's typical for new greens to take 1-3 years to normalize in firmness because they don't have a thatch layer yet.

+1.

SB isn't a links course (no fescue fairways, no body of water). There is basically no heather in the US either except a few courses on Long Island. More or less SB is a Prairie course. If a green has a false front you hit short of the false front. I disagree, if the approaches are done well it's great golf. I love playing really firm courses, they make you think

You realize you plus 1'd your own post?

It’s not just the raised greens working against SB as a true links course...the way it’s mowed I think has more to do with it. Try putting from 20yrds our or hitting a long bump-and-run on any hole...I dare you :)

The fringes and fairways are long, unlike links golf. But as I’ve mentioned, it’s intentional right now to allow the course to grow in and develop healthy turf. Hopefully within the next year they’ll give it a buzz cut and allow us members to play links style golf shots. Not every green is elevated.

Blue,

Having a little fun and trying to educate at the same time.....

Creds? Really want to know what makes you more of an expert than others here? Your opinion more valid? Just asking, no malice, honest. If you got the creds, I'll take notes at the foot of a master.

Epic Flash. Tensei CK pro Blue stiff
M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S
Ping 19* & 22* hybrid. Stock Alta S
Epon 505 MCI OTi 110 stiff
Betti BBZero DASS blacked out.
Vokey 50* F, Ping 54* SS, Vokey 58* D

TWPJ, Specifically, I was referring to your condescending tone and air of superiority prevalent in most of your posts in this and other threads. And thx for clearing up any doubt about your gender. And thx for the Turf 101 lesson on new green firmness due to a lack of thatch layer. Never knew that, Duh. One more question, being in the turf business, does that mean you peddle fertilizer?

Epic Flash. Tensei CK pro Blue stiff
M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S
Ping 19* & 22* hybrid. Stock Alta S
Epon 505 MCI OTi 110 stiff
Betti BBZero DASS blacked out.
Vokey 50* F, Ping 54* SS, Vokey 58* D

Open,

No condescending tone on my part in most of my posts. I just challenge people from time to time that make bold statements without experiencing a broad range of courses. So it took you how many posts to get this off your chest? Obviously others didn't know about the lack of thatch layer or they wouldn't of complained about excessive firmness... Nope, don't peddle fert..