Stoatin Brae: Augusta, MI

kalamazoo

Quick update on the course conditions:

Stoatin is playing absolute perfect right now. It’s hard, sun baked, and challenging. It is finally playing like a links course instead of a GLV course without trees. Weekend golfers may get frustrated with the current conditions, but I truly hope they keep it this way. I think the course benefits from under watering, and experienced golfers will appreciate the challenge. The greens are very firm and difficult to hold at the moment, placing extra emphasis on thoughtful approach shots in order to score well. The greens are finally rolling true after being kept somewhat shaggy early in their season. I anticipate they’ll get even faster as the summer goes on.

The restaurant still isn’t open, but the halfway bunker is open now on the weekends. There’s no drinking water on the course, so plan accordingly on hot days. The cart club cleaner/ball washers aren’t being filled yet either, so bring extra water if you plan to use them.

Despite being dry, the rough is still quite thick and unforgiving. The Heather is thick and lush too, so if you don’t hit the fairway you might as well hit a provisional because odds are the only thing you’ll find in there are ticks. I’ve been waiting years for the course to play this fast and firm, so if you enjoy links golf now is the time to check it out.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

20200710-093211.jpgPlayed last Friday, and had the misfortune of it being the only rainy day in a month. The course is firm, and in great shape, but it played slow and easy with all the water on it.

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Attas 11 7S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

20200710-094118.jpg

64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Bummer you got stuck playing the one rainy day we’ve had out here! The course has been playing so fast and firm, but honestly you probably didn’t miss much in terms of green speeds; surprisingly they haven’t been running that fast even during dry spells. I think they’ve been keeping them a tad shaggier to keep the greens healthy during the hot dry spells.

Hope you had fun!

Yeah, it was great. Played in 2 hours!

Got off as a single before a large group, played through a foursome on 4, and never saw anyone else the rest of the round. Hit almost every fairway, but the irons were off a little for an 81. Not bad with 2 doubles due to bladed shots from wet bunkers

Maxfli Tour Yellow

• 1 month later...

Has anyone ever had any luck with them letting you walk the course? I was making a tee time today and they told me it was carts only. Just wondering if there is a chance that when I get there they will just let me walk it anyways. 

Ping G30
Titleist 915 F
Ping Rapture Hybrid 21
Mizuno MP15 4-PW
Vokey SM6 50, 56, 60
Byron Morgan DH89

On 9/17/2020 at 12:43 PM, IrishGolfer14 said:

Has anyone ever had any luck with them letting you walk the course? I was making a tee time today and they told me it was carts only. Just wondering if there is a chance that when I get there they will just let me walk it anyways. 

They usually discourage walking on Sat/Sun because every tee time is booked, but I’ve seen plenty of walkers Mon-Thurs when the course is wide open. 

• 2 years later...

Been a while so I figured I'd post an update for anyone interested:

Stoatin is headed down a sad, possibly unrecoverable path. Head pro (Matt) left and went to Arcadia (good for you Matt, miss you buddy!), and course conditions have slipped since then. Greens are slower than the other 4 GLV courses (only the East greens are worse), which is silly considering Stoatin is supposed to be their premiere course. Fringes are hilariously long for a "links" setup; you'll find your ball hanging up on backstops regularly. 

The thing that's killing Stoatin (and all of GLV) are the 5somes (or more) all over the course. This has always been an issue for GLV as a resort trying to please large groups, but it's reached levels so extreme members are leaving. I've yet to play the course this year without getting stuck behind a group of 8 playing together. If you play Stoatin, I'd budget for at least a 5.5hr round, that's about the norm lately. None of the GLV courses have actual rangers, only starters. If they want to keep bragging about being a "Top 100" Course they'll need to act like it eventually and enforce pace of play before their reputation is completely destroyed.

They've invested in some new paving, which is nice, but I still would not recommend playing the course until management makes some changes to pace of play. They have a flex pricing system that's ultimately hurting them; the busier the course is, the more expensive tee times become. This is a dangerous policy because paying $125 for a 5.5hr round will result in more and more unsatisfied customers that aren't likely to return. The only notable efforts Stoatin has made to help pace of play is mowing down large areas of heather, making it very hard to lose a ball...unfortunately this also makes the course way easier and not as fun for better players. 

Conditions are so bad in the Villas I've stopped recommending it to out-of-towners. The BBQ joint is no more, only the name remains. Blue Stem is gone as well. Shame to see other area courses investing in their facilities on the back of golf's explosion in popularity while GLV seems to be in full "Cash Grab" mode instead. It's very common to book a tee time and show up with 16 people waiting to tee off...they allow way too many walk-ons on busy days.

All in all, GLV is following a pattern of higher prices (for both members and guests) without delivering more value. Player beware.

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, kalamazoo said:

Stoatin is headed down a sad, possibly unrecoverable path. Head pro (Matt) left and went to Arcadia (good for you Matt, miss you buddy!), and course conditions have slipped since then. Greens are slower than the other 4 GLV courses (only the East greens are worse), which is silly considering Stoatin is supposed to be their premiere course. Fringes are hilariously long for a "links" setup; you'll find your ball hanging up on backstops regularly. 

The thing that's killing Stoatin (and all of GLV) are the 5somes (or more) all over the course. This has always been an issue for GLV as a resort trying to please large groups, but it's reached levels so extreme members are leaving. I've yet to play the course this year without getting stuck behind a group of 8 playing together. If you play Stoatin, I'd budget for at least a 5.5hr round, that's about the norm lately. None of the GLV courses have actual rangers, only starters. If they want to keep bragging about being a "Top 100" Course they'll need to act like it eventually and enforce pace of play before their reputation is completely destroyed.

They've invested in some new paving, which is nice, but I still would not recommend playing the course until management makes some changes to pace of play. They have a flex pricing system that's ultimately hurting them; the busier the course is, the more expensive tee times become. This is a dangerous policy because paying $125 for a 5.5hr round will result in more and more unsatisfied customers that aren't likely to return. The only notable efforts Stoatin has made to help pace of play is mowing down large areas of heather, making it very hard to lose a ball...unfortunately this also makes the course way easier and not as fun for better players. 

Conditions are so bad in the Villas I've stopped recommending it to out-of-towners. The BBQ joint is no more, only the name remains. Blue Stem is gone as well. Shame to see other area courses investing in their facilities on the back of golf's explosion in popularity while GLV seems to be in full "Cash Grab" mode instead. It's very common to book a tee time and show up with 16 people waiting to tee off...they allow way too many walk-ons on busy days.

All in all, GLV is following a pattern of higher prices (for both members and guests) without delivering more value. Player beware.

Sounds like you should join BCCC 🙂

• Like 1

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

On 8/23/2023 at 8:42 AM, kalamazoo said:

Sad to hear but not shocking.  I was part of a group that started going up that way for years, the original crew was early 80's.  My last year going up that way was 2019, but that year and the previous few years prices were going up, and it felt like everything was being nickle and dimed.  What was once a group of 20 is now down to 8, I'm not the only one that felt that way.  None of the courses on that property are anything special, and for just a bit more you can get to places like Lake Geneva, Galena or do a ala carte trip do Indianapolis and get much better golf/accommodations on top of a local area close by for some entertainment.  Very unlikely I'd make my way back up there, but they'll clearly survive without me.

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

57 minutes ago, kalamazoo said:

Headed to GLCC for now because it's closer for me, but I do enjoy BCCC! Hows it playing these days? Haven't played it in a couple years.

Your head pro Urban is a great guy, great teacher and a stick!

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S 

Callaway AI Smoke Max Project X Denali Black 70S 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5

Wedges ???

Odyssey Dual Force Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

On 8/24/2023 at 1:05 PM, kalamazoo said:

Headed to GLCC for now because it's closer for me, but I do enjoy BCCC! Hows it playing these days? Haven't played it in a couple years.

BCCC has been in great shape all year. Love the course and the guys. 

GLCC/BCCC have reciprocal play which is nice. 

• Like 1

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6

• 4 weeks later...

Just got back from a trip to Gull Lake, it was my groups 8th year.  I was a little concerned with the conditions after seeing what @kalamazoo had written.  

I fully agree that the course would be much more fun if it were maintained like a true links course.  The green complexes and surroundings are so interesting.  However, the conditions were no different than any other time I've played it.   I was a little worried stepping onto the first tee and seeing the tee box grass long enough to be laying over.

But the course was fine.  It was firm, but not fast. Greens were maybe a 10, at best.   We played in 4 hours, teeing off in the AM.  I just feel like the course unfortunately cannot play that firm and fast if you want to attract the average golfer to come back.  We have a course similar to Stoatin in Pittsburgh (Cranberry Highlands), and it suffers from the same conditioning.  Good shape, but wish it had a bit more teeth.  It just can't be cut tight or you'd have a six hour round with the weekend warrior golfers. 

I was bummed to see Stonehedge South's greens punched (in the middle of September???) but the rest of the resort was in it's usual good shape.  I won't say "great", it's not *pristine* but the value proposition of that place is tough to beat.  I feel like they know who they are, and nail it.  Villas are no doubt below-average, but I was surprised to see renovated bathrooms and new queen beds (last year, you'd lay down and feel like a taco shell just closed around you lol).  

One negative, Bedford Valley's greens were painfully slow.  But man, I think Stonehedge North is the most fun course on that resort.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DRIVER: Callaway Mavrik Sub-Zero 10.5*

3W: Callaway Mavrik Sub-Zero

3H: Callaway Mavrik Tour

IRONS: Titleist 2019 T100 // 4-PW // DG AMT White S300

WEDGES: Vokey SM9 Raw // 50*, 54*, 58*

PUTTER: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

BALL: Titleist ProV1 (preferrably high #s)

BAG: Titleist LinksLegend Green/White

1 hour ago, Sep said:

Just got back from a trip to Gull Lake, it was my groups 8th year.  I was a little concerned with the conditions after seeing what @kalamazoo had written.  

I fully agree that the course would be much more fun if it were maintained like a true links course.  The green complexes and surroundings are so interesting.  However, the conditions were no different than any other time I've played it.   I was a little worried stepping onto the first tee and seeing the tee box grass long enough to be laying over.

But the course was fine.  It was firm, but not fast. Greens were maybe a 10, at best.   We played in 4 hours, teeing off in the AM.  I just feel like the course unfortunately cannot play that firm and fast if you want to attract the average golfer to come back.  We have a course similar to Stoatin in Pittsburgh (Cranberry Highlands), and it suffers from the same conditioning.  Good shape, but wish it had a bit more teeth.  It just can't be cut tight or you'd have a six hour round with the weekend warrior golfers. 

I was bummed to see Stonehedge South's greens punched (in the middle of September???) but the rest of the resort was in it's usual good shape.  I won't say "great", it's not *pristine* but the value proposition of that place is tough to beat.  I feel like they know who they are, and nail it.  Villas are no doubt below-average, but I was surprised to see renovated bathrooms and new queen beds (last year, you'd lay down and feel like a taco shell just closed around you lol).  

One negative, Bedford Valley's greens were painfully slow.  But man, I think Stonehedge North is the most fun course on that resort.  

Agree with North being fun to play, especially with the 6 par 5's.  South is still my favorite up there.  East and West are awful IMO.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

3 hours ago, Sep said:

I was bummed to see Stonehedge South's greens punched (in the middle of September???) but the rest of the resort was in it's usual good shape.  I won't say "great", it's not *pristine* but the value proposition of that place is tough to beat.   

Many courses in Southern Michigan have started to punch earlier.  They heal faster and are great by end of September. 

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6

3 hours ago, knickerbocker said:

Many courses in Southern Michigan have started to punch earlier.  They heal faster and are great by end of September. 

We're in Southern Ontario and we used to do a major punch in early August.  Two days closed.  But that was to get rid of thatch, and we've been able to just do a smaller punch right about now(did ours this week).  There is a lot to be said for punching earlier.   

6 hours ago, MountainKing said:

Agree with North being fun to play, especially with the 6 par 5's.  South is still my favorite up there.  East and West are awful IMO.

interesting you say south. A few of our better players like it, but I generally don’t care for it (4 index). Our group jokes that 2 is the hardest tee shot in all of golf lol. 

Feels like it’s unnecessarily tight in some areas. But I get the appeal.  I like 4, 7, 9, and I guess 14-18 is a great closing stretch. Thought it was impossible to get home in two on 17 at south, until I watch my buddy hit a cut on a frozen rope around the trees and put it to 25 feet. 

4 hours ago, knickerbocker said:

That's crazy to me. We used to come in early October and were sick of the punched greens (and spotty weather) so we moved it up to mid September. 

you’d think they’d take peak rates and conditions through the end of September at least. PGH generally does mid August. 

13 hours ago, Sep said:

interesting you say south. A few of our better players like it, but I generally don’t care for it (4 index). Our group jokes that 2 is the hardest tee shot in all of golf lol. 

Feels like it’s unnecessarily tight in some areas. But I get the appeal.  I like 4, 7, 9, and I guess 14-18 is a great closing stretch. Thought it was impossible to get home in two on 17 at south, until I watch my buddy hit a cut on a frozen rope around the trees and put it to 25 feet. 

I like hard golf courses, and South is a good test of golf.   17 is fairly easy to hit in 2 if you're a high ball hitter or have a rope cut, I can usually get an iron over those trees and with not having any cut/fade in the bag that's my only play.  I think it'd be a better hole by removing the trees and making it a par4.  I'm not a huge fan of creating fake length with trees.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy