2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Drewtaylor21's Golf Journey (Swing Changes, WITB, Results)

drewtaylor21

I'm sure anyone following is more interested in real-life golf updates, but I have to share some of this SIM stuff! It's freakin cool! lol

So when I got the GC2 and Perfect Golf (PG), I knew the long game/ballstriking stuff would have basically perfect carryover to my game IRL. However, what's really surprised me is how realistic the short game stuff is, and for my situation, this is HUGE. This past year and a half with Flightscope, I was never able to practice anything under a 10y chip or so, and even then, I was just pitching to a wide open range. With the software addition of PG, I can literally work on my chipping and pitching feels and yardages just like I would IRL. The accuracy is so impressive.

When I chip/pitch IRL, I am basically imagining tossing the ball underhand with my right hand with the goal of rolling the ball into the cup. Whatever trajectory/force I'd use to throw it underhand is what I see in my mind and try to copy precisely with the club and ball. I can do the exact same thing now in my garage, as the graphics and user experience is so spot-on.

I couldn't be more excited about this, as it's really going to be a positive addition for my game from tee to green!

(Picture quality looks a lot more washed out here than it really is)

[media=]

[/media]

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I think I've stumbled onto something that's really helping my putting. A few weeks back, I received my Spider Platinum from TaylorMade, the last piece of the puzzle in the set they gave me from the Kingdom trip. I was really putting it through it's paces against two of my old gamers, the Daddy Long Legs and an old Bobby Grace. I ended up settling on the Spider and I'm putting really nicely with it, but in the process I discovered something that I am going to continue working on, hopefully with the same results!

I'm not sure how many of you have read Adam Young's book The Practice Manual, but if you haven't, I recommend it! Some parts are a bit tedious, but there are some gems in there. Anyway, towards the latter half he talks about the idea of differential practice. His definition is "practicing a skill in a way which you may not normally ideally use it." Within the same section, he also defines variability practice as "practicing a goal you wish to achieve, but in a varying way - such as hitting the sweet spot from various starting positions." I'm not 100% sure which category what I discovered falls into (perhaps an element of both), but it really doesn't matter - what matters is the result, which is an increase in skill.

What I found is that when I practice with several putters (including my gamer), then go back to exclusively using my gamer, my skills and consistency have improved noticeably. Now, the 3 putters I have are all face-balanced mallets, so I would guess there is a lot of carryover from one to the next, but they have different grips, different lengths, and different weights, so there is certainly some variability involved. I don't know if there is a limit in terms of how long these effects last, or if the carryover would decrease by switching from a blade to a mallet, but long story short, I've found that this works really well for me, so I'm going to keep doing it! Thought I would pass that along in case anyone else wants to give it a try (as crazy as it sounds!)

Nice....serendipitous.....I believe you've just stumbled upon the theory on which this website is built....GolfWRX theory.

There is a moniker for the length of time the effects last...affectionately referred to as, the "honeymoon period."

I'm sure most guys on here would agree though....it does sound crazy, but in the name of science, we will all join you and continue purchasing and testing various clubs to add validity to this sound theory.

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

Nice....serendipitous.....I believe you've just stumbled upon the theory on which this website is built....GolfWRX theory.

There is a moniker for the length of time the effects last...affectionately referred to as, the "honeymoon period."

I'm sure most guys on here would agree though....it does sound crazy, but in the name of science, we will all join you and continue purchasing and testing various clubs to add validity to this sound theory.

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

I just wanted to throw out an update on the transition from Flightscope to GC2. First though, I have to say that it's been SO good to have a launch monitor back in the garage. The few weeks I had between monitors was killer and made me realize how beneficial it is to have such an accurate system set up. It's still the best golf purchase I've ever made, and it's not close. If you can swing it, even for skytrak/mevo or something, it's very much worth saving up for and getting done!

Anyway, one thing that Flightscope occasionally struggled with indoors was spin. I would get occasional mis-reads that basically looked like fliers (ex, 5000 rpm spin on an 8 iron). While I tried to disregard these, the numbers did kind of sneak their way into my mind and they artificially inflated some of my carry numbers that I took to the course. In the 10 days or so that I've had the GC2, I've adjusted my carry numbers with 7-PW by ~5 yards each and am noticing that I'm making better swings and gaining consistency with results. I think I really had to go after my short irons to get them to carry what I thought they *should* be carrying based on the indoor Flightscope.

This goes nicely with the DECADE approach too, as I am approaching shots with the knowledge that it's a "shotgun spread, not a sniper rifle." I feel stupid even admitting that I did this, but expecting to hit each shot square on the nuts is a really dumb way to play! Reducing my expected carry yardage has built in a little bit of a cushion if I do miss one, and when I'm not trying to crush a 9 iron, I tend to make a better swing anyway :rofl:

It's funny, if one of my higher cap buddies told me they were taking the "Jason Day" approach that I had been, I would tell them to take it down a tiny notch and just put a good swing on it, but I think I had some ego involved with how far I was hitting it, and it's safe to say it negatively impacted my short iron game, which is probably where I have the biggest room for improvement, statistically. I'm excited to continue making progress in dialing in my yardages, and I think this is going to have the biggest influence on my real game.

The other interesting aspect that I still need to work out is shot shape. I am finding that indoors I can play a really nice little push draw through the bag that looks exactly like I want it to. Here's a nice example:

The only issue is that i find that I struggle to really trust a draw on the course. My eye still sees fade on most shots. I'm not sure yet how I want to approach this, or if I want to change anything....Still working that out!

Overall, I'm excited about the progress I'm making with ball-striking and hope to be able to translate this to the course!

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it's been a very fun 3 weeks since my last update! My wife and son and I were fortunate to be able to spend 10 days up in my home state of Washington with my side of the family, enjoying some cooler weather and one of my favorite spots on earth, Lake Chelan. It was a MUCH needed break from Vegas (for me at least), and while I didn't get to play golf, if you're ever in the area, Bear Mountain GC is a fun spot! TBH, I'm just fondly reminiscing with this picture. I'm very proud of my home state and happen to think that you really can't find anywhere better in the summertime....did I mention I'm really sick of Vegas summers?? :swoon:

Despite the beauty, I'll be honest, towards the end of the trip I was itching to get some time in the man cave back here at the house! I'm a little bit hooked on JNPG and the practice features it has! I've really come to love the practice combines and trying to beat the ballstriking records over at the online golf tour. There's some good competition over there and it's definitely got me motivated to be at my best. This one in particular is driving me nuts: http://simulation.onlinegolftour.net/combine-leaderboard.html?id=25170

It's a one-shot combine, so you get one chance from each location (60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 120, 140, 160, 180 yards, then driver), with the obvious goal of being as close to the pin as possible at each spot. "Shankygolf" is a UK instructor with some serious game and I am having the damnedest time beating him on this one! lol. It's such a fun challenge though, as I really like having a bar to have to try to jump over, so to speak, and it mimics on-course demands nicely IMO.

As far as non-digital golf goes, today was a fun one as well. Robrey85 and I got out to play Las Vegas Golf Club, or "Muni" as it's known here in town. It's an older, more traditional style course that's pretty much all grass, tree-lined, etc. Again, a nice break from the usual desert-style courses we have here. It's a pretty easy track, really nothing to worry about off the tee, but the greens aren't huge, and invariably you'll face some poorly maintained bermuda-grass lies around the greens, so it's not always a total cake-walk.

Today was the first day I committed to playing the draw that I've been seeing with the GC2 indoors, so I was anxious to see how things would work out. While my stats weren't necessarily all that impressive, I kept the ball in play all day off the tee and my missed greens were within a pace or two on all but one occasion, so I was happy with that. I hit several very nice shots, including a sweet little draw on the 9th from 189 that I put to 5 feet for eagle. I was pleased with my ability to commit to that shot shape all day, and I'm looking forward to continuing to work on that.

The best part of the day was that I finished bogey-free. I've only ever done that once before, back when I lived in Utah. Interestingly, both times I was walking, not riding. Perhaps just a coincidence, but I definitely feel like I'm able to stay in a better rhythm when walking. Unfortunately, just about every course we play here in Vegas is not conducive to walking :(

While the course today was an easy one, I definitely knew where I stood coming down 16, 17, and 18 and it was fun feeling some nerves and getting it done. I had a testy 6 footer for par on the 202-yard par 3 17th and buried it, then hit two solid shots into 18 and 2-putted from 25 feet to seal the deal.

Having not played a "real" round in a month, I think today was a testament to how good the GC2/JNPG combo is for authentic practice. I didn't feel like I had any issues with short game, putting, or touch-style wedge shots, which is where I usually struggled previously with the Flightscope.

Finally, I hate to end on bad news, but it looks like I'm going to miss several tournaments I had planned this month, including USGA mid-am qualifying, due to work demands. I was really disappointed about this, but there is nothing I can do about it. There's a small chance I can play in a two-day event in September, but most likely I'll have to wait until October and November to finish out the year with 3 more events. It sucks getting old and having responsibilities! :rofl: Back in grad school I was playing twice a week and playing in ~10 tourneys a year. The last 3 years I've played one event a year and it blows. Simple as that. I might get 4 events in this year if things work out in the fall, but even so, not what I had in mind when I decided to go into higher ed! Summers off they said....riiiiiight lol.

Anyway, TL:DR, game is trending nicely, Vegas summers suck, I'm finding competition where I can, and for good measure, Conor McGregor is going to drop Floyd! Boom.

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Nice update. I'll have to look into JNPG. I've been kinda waiting around for TGC2 to drop so haven't really invested in any software yet. But I really just want a combine, didn't realize that JNPG had one. Did you pick up another GC2? I thought I saw you selling one and meant to ask.

G425 Max 9*o w/ RIP Beta
TEE CBX19 16.5*
Sub70 699U 19.5*
P770 5-P
Exo #7

Nice update. I'll have to look into JNPG. I've been kinda waiting around for TGC2 to drop so haven't really invested in any software yet. But I really just want a combine, didn't realize that JNPG had one. Did you pick up another GC2? I thought I saw you selling one and meant to ask.

Yeah I got a deal buying two GC2's from someone who used to co-own an indoor driving range, so I'm keeping one and selling the other.

Having spent some time on the Golf Sim forum, I was under the impression that TGC was where it was at as well. I was not really aware that TGC and GSF are partnered, so any talk of JNPG will get you banned over there. It's unfortunate, because I think most people getting into the SIM world find that site first, but from what I've seen and heard, JNPG is a superior platform to TGC. I sure love it! There are multiple combines: one-shot, approaches, wedges, driver, short game, and a couple putting combines, plus the driving range, which is cool in it's own right. It's a ton of fun and great practice, and the community is solid!

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Nice round Drew! -5 is great, doesn't matter the course. You still have to execute!

That picture can't be real?

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Nice round Drew! -5 is great, doesn't matter the course. You still have to execute!

That picture can't be real?

Thanks George! It definitely still feels good to put up a solid score, regardless of the track!

The picture is real! There's a lot of pretty incredible, natural beauty in WA state. It's an interesting place because you've got mountains that run through the middle, making two entirely different climates on the west vs. east, but there are some gorgeous spots on both sides.

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Well, it's been a very fun 3 weeks since my last update! My wife and son and I were fortunate to be able to spend 10 days up in my home state of Washington with my side of the family, enjoying some cooler weather and one of my favorite spots on earth, Lake Chelan. It was a MUCH needed break from Vegas (for me at least), and while I didn't get to play golf, if you're ever in the area, Bear Mountain GC is a fun spot! TBH, I'm just fondly reminiscing with this picture. I'm very proud of my home state and happen to think that you really can't find anywhere better in the summertime....did I mention I'm really sick of Vegas summers?? :swoon:

Despite the beauty, I'll be honest, towards the end of the trip I was itching to get some time in the man cave back here at the house! I'm a little bit hooked on JNPG and the practice features it has! I've really come to love the practice combines and trying to beat the ballstriking records over at the online golf tour. There's some good competition over there and it's definitely got me motivated to be at my best. This one in particular is driving me nuts: http://simulation.onlinegolftour.net/combine-leaderboard.html?id=25170

It's a one-shot combine, so you get one chance from each location (60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 120, 140, 160, 180 yards, then driver), with the obvious goal of being as close to the pin as possible at each spot. "Shankygolf" is a UK instructor with some serious game and I am having the damnedest time beating him on this one! lol. It's such a fun challenge though, as I really like having a bar to have to try to jump over, so to speak, and it mimics on-course demands nicely IMO.

As far as non-digital golf goes, today was a fun one as well. Robrey85 and I got out to play Las Vegas Golf Club, or "Muni" as it's known here in town. It's an older, more traditional style course that's pretty much all grass, tree-lined, etc. Again, a nice break from the usual desert-style courses we have here. It's a pretty easy track, really nothing to worry about off the tee, but the greens aren't huge, and invariably you'll face some poorly maintained bermuda-grass lies around the greens, so it's not always a total cake-walk.

Today was the first day I committed to playing the draw that I've been seeing with the GC2 indoors, so I was anxious to see how things would work out. While my stats weren't necessarily all that impressive, I kept the ball in play all day off the tee and my missed greens were within a pace or two on all but one occasion, so I was happy with that. I hit several very nice shots, including a sweet little draw on the 9th from 189 that I put to 5 feet for eagle. I was pleased with my ability to commit to that shot shape all day, and I'm looking forward to continuing to work on that.

The best part of the day was that I finished bogey-free. I've only ever done that once before, back when I lived in Utah. Interestingly, both times I was walking, not riding. Perhaps just a coincidence, but I definitely feel like I'm able to stay in a better rhythm when walking. Unfortunately, just about every course we play here in Vegas is not conducive to walking :(

While the course today was an easy one, I definitely knew where I stood coming down 16, 17, and 18 and it was fun feeling some nerves and getting it done. I had a testy 6 footer for par on the 202-yard par 3 17th and buried it, then hit two solid shots into 18 and 2-putted from 25 feet to seal the deal.

Having not played a "real" round in a month, I think today was a testament to how good the GC2/JNPG combo is for authentic practice. I didn't feel like I had any issues with short game, putting, or touch-style wedge shots, which is where I usually struggled previously with the Flightscope.

Finally, I hate to end on bad news, but it looks like I'm going to miss several tournaments I had planned this month, including USGA mid-am qualifying, due to work demands. I was really disappointed about this, but there is nothing I can do about it. There's a small chance I can play in a two-day event in September, but most likely I'll have to wait until October and November to finish out the year with 3 more events. It sucks getting old and having responsibilities! :rofl: Back in grad school I was playing twice a week and playing in ~10 tourneys a year. The last 3 years I've played one event a year and it blows. Simple as that. I might get 4 events in this year if things work out in the fall, but even so, not what I had in mind when I decided to go into higher ed! Summers off they said....riiiiiight lol.

Anyway, TL:DR, game is trending nicely, Vegas summers suck, I'm finding competition where I can, and for good measure, Conor McGregor is going to drop Floyd! Boom.

Superb post and phenomenal round, I don't care where it's Played~

Your physical swing and game aside, what this tells me is that your MENTAL game is firing on all cylinders and your PSR, Focus and Confidence is where it should be to allow you the opportunity to take advantage where and when you can to hit the shots and run the putts to score!!

That's superb because regardless of your swing, stroke and practice regime, if your mind is right, you could practice in a friggin porta John and you'd be good!!

Continued Success Bro?

Madison sends hugs and kisses and give the lil Guy and fist bump for me?

My Best,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Superb post and phenomenal round, I don't care where it's Played~

Your physical swing and game aside, what this tells me is that your MENTAL game is firing on all cylinders and your PSR, Focus and Confidence is where it should be to allow you the opportunity to take advantage where and when you can to hit the shots and run the putts to score!!

That's superb because regardless of your swing, stroke and practice regime, if your mind is right, you could practice in a friggin porta John and you'd be good!!

Continued Success Bro

Madison sends hugs and kisses and give the lil Guy and fist bump for me

My Best,

Richard

Thanks very much Richard! You're spot on, the combination of PSR and a structured course management plan (DECADE) have gone a long way in keeping me mentally prepared to play anywhere.

Little man is taking steps and he couldn't be more pleased with himself :rofl: Life is really good and we're very thankful!

Hope you, Madison, and the girls are enjoying the summer and all is well!

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Just wanted to give a shout out to Scott Fawcett for some great customer service on top of his already great DECADE program. I was watching some of the DECADE videos and he mentioned there being a player's card that has some key info relevant to the program (something you would fit into a yardage book). I reached out to him about the possibility of sending me a pdf of the card that I could print out and use, and he did me one better by sending me a personal letter with two laminated cards to use!

-6 in my last two rounds using the full version of DECADE. I'd been using the driving strategy plus a general understanding of the principles for most of the summer, but now that I have the full version, I'm excited to really take advantage of well-informed strategy from tee to green.

Can't recommend the program enough!

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

#housesinplay

TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade M5 15* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2TS X
Callaway 815 Alpha Hybrid 21* - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90TX
Miura Baby Blade 4-P - KBS $-Taper X
Miura Wedges - 52*, 56* - KBS $-Taper X
Callaway MD4 Tactical 60*
PXG Darkness Operator

I will be googling th decade program but that's awesome customer service and some awesome golf!

Hey Stingreye, check out the dedicated thread here: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1488212-decade-by-birdiefire/

The videos on the first page will give you a good idea of what the program is about. Long story short, it quantifies course management/strategy based on probability. That sentence sounds complex, I suppose, but it's simple and very effective! (Oh and it works on JNPG too :) )

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

great scoring of late Drew, have you found that the decade system has made you change many club choices off tees (at the course(s) you play regularly)? Or has it more changed your target? or both?

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

great scoring of late Drew, have you found that the decade system has made you change many club choices off tees (at the course(s) you play regularly)? Or has it more changed your target? or both?

Thanks Dave!

I have always hit a lot of drivers, as I feel more confident with that club than a 3w or any other long club, so DECADE just confirmed I was doing things correctly there. If anything it's made me a touch more conservative off the tee, but usually only once per round on average I'd say. The nice part is having a quantifiable way of determining club choice, which is something that makes me more confident. The biggest changes I've seen with DECADE are in my approach game. Again, just giving a quantifiable target that increases the likelihood of a GIR (or good miss) and a lower score. It makes on-course decisions so easy, and you can't help but be confident in them, because you know they are your best chance of hitting the right shot. I'm excited to see how/if it changes my short game/putting too, still a little early to tell.

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update!

I have to give yet another shout out to Scott Fawcett and the DECADE system. I've played 3 rounds now using the full version of this course management/strategy and have been under par in all 3 rounds (-7 total). I played Sunday at my old home course, Paiute, and while I hit the ball rather poorly, I was leaving myself in easy positions to avoid making bogey. My GIR for the last 3 rounds is 80% (up from my season avg of 66%), which has been really nice to see.

I was especially happy with the results of Sunday's round, as the previous two were at courses that aren't very challenging. Paiute (Sun) is a solid track and you can get in trouble on every hole with desert looming nearby. As I said, my swing wasn't in great shape at all, as I was fighting my bad habit - a wipey fade, but proper strategy made up for it! I had it to -3 (bogey free) through 14 holes, then missed a FW by 3 yards on #15 when my ball took a really odd bounce left and wound up in the grass face above a FW bunker. I was standing in the bunker with the ball above my feet and into a severe uphill slope and just didn't hit it solidly enough to reach the green. Made bogey, then found the desert on the par 5 16th off the tee, and made another bogey. Finished with two really nice approaches into 17 and 18, both inside 15 feet, but couldn't convert, unfortunately. Still, I was very happy with a 71, and continue to really enjoy the DECADE approach to scoring.

Additionally, as of yesterday I am embarking on some swing work now with Josh Koch. Josh has studied under Dana Dahlquist for quite a while and is a part of the online teaching team associated with Dana's website. I'd heard some good things about Josh and I really like the dynamic approach to the swing that I've seen from him via instagram, so I reached out yesterday to see if he could give me some input on my swing. I got my lesson back today and I am really excited about what he's got me working on. Really nothing mechanical, as we both liked where things were there, but he wanted to see me use a more athletic pressure shift in the backswing and transition, which I've previously self-identified as an issue, but didn't quite know how to fix. Everything he said made a lot of sense, and I'm excited to tap into some of the natural athleticism that I know I have, but haven't been using as efficiently as I could be. More to come!

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

That's awesome Drew! Hitting 80% GIR when your not swing well! Just wait until your firing on all cylinders.

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Quick update!

I have to give yet another shout out to Scott Fawcett and the DECADE system. I've played 3 rounds now using the full version of this course management/strategy and have been under par in all 3 rounds (-7 total). I played Sunday at my old home course, Paiute, and while I hit the ball rather poorly, I was leaving myself in easy positions to avoid making bogey. My GIR for the last 3 rounds is 80% (up from my season avg of 66%), which has been really nice to see.

I was especially happy with the results of Sunday's round, as the previous two were at courses that aren't very challenging. Paiute (Sun) is a solid track and you can get in trouble on every hole with desert looming nearby. As I said, my swing wasn't in great shape at all, as I was fighting my bad habit - a wipey fade, but proper strategy made up for it! I had it to -3 (bogey free) through 14 holes, then missed a FW by 3 yards on #15 when my ball took a really odd bounce left and wound up in the grass face above a FW bunker. I was standing in the bunker with the ball above my feet and into a severe uphill slope and just didn't hit it solidly enough to reach the green. Made bogey, then found the desert on the par 5 16th off the tee, and made another bogey. Finished with two really nice approaches into 17 and 18, both inside 15 feet, but couldn't convert, unfortunately. Still, I was very happy with a 71, and continue to really enjoy the DECADE approach to scoring.

Additionally, as of yesterday I am embarking on some swing work now with Josh Koch. Josh has studied under Dana Dahlquist for quite a while and is a part of the online teaching team associated with Dana's website. I'd heard some good things about Josh and I really like the dynamic approach to the swing that I've seen from him via instagram, so I reached out yesterday to see if he could give me some input on my swing. I got my lesson back today and I am really excited about what he's got me working on. Really nothing mechanical, as we both liked where things were there, but he wanted to see me use a more athletic pressure shift in the backswing and transition, which I've previously self-identified as an issue, but didn't quite know how to fix. Everything he said made a lot of sense, and I'm excited to tap into some of the natural athleticism that I know I have, but haven't been using as efficiently as I could be. More to come!

How much time do you spend with Decade before playing the course? I really want to go all in but I play a bunch of different courses so not sure if I want to spend an hour before going out mapping everything.

That's awesome Drew! Hitting 80% GIR when your not swing well! Just wait until your firing on all cylinders.

I doubt the % will change much, but I'll be closer to the hole!

One of the things DECADE's stats analysis has highlighted for me already is that I'm awful at putting from 10-15 feet (which I knew already lol). I'm very good from short range, and my 3 putt % is very low, but I definitely need to make more of those mid range putts. You know of any equipment changes I can make to fix this George?? :rofl:

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

How much time do you spend with Decade before playing the course? I really want to go all in but I play a bunch of different courses so not sure if I want to spend an hour before going out mapping everything.

About 10 minutes for a new course. I use a mapping system as described in the video below. Once you have the template cone you can just drag and drop it around on Google Earth and save everything to your locations. This has been a huge time-saver!

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

That is awesome scoring! I have been using the basic version of Decade and have seen an improvement in scoring. How many more videos are there in the full version compared to the basic? I will have to check out Josh's instagram page.

Thanks Kyle! Honestly, I'm not sure how many videos are in the basic version, but I remember when I first opened the full version in the app I was a little overwhelmed by how many videos there were, so that might tell you something! LOL it's pretty thorough, and he has a handful of 5 to 10 minute videos in each section for scoring, so you get quite a bit of information.

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

That is awesome scoring! I have been using the basic version of Decade and have seen an improvement in scoring. How many more videos are there in the full version compared to the basic? I will have to check out Josh's instagram page.

Thanks Kyle! Honestly, I'm not sure how many videos are in the basic version, but I remember when I first opened the full version in the app I was a little overwhelmed by how many videos there were, so that might tell you something! LOL it's pretty thorough, and he has a handful of 5 to 10 minute videos in each section for scoring, so you get quite a bit of information.

I want to pull the trigger now so I can study up over the Canadian winter and be ready for spring, but I don't want to pay for 6 months of stat tracking when I won't play a round! Its a shame you can't just buy the videos! Will have to rely on what i've cobbled together until early spring then go all in. Love reading this stuff!

I want to pull the trigger now so I can study up over the Canadian winter and be ready for spring, but I don't want to pay for 6 months of stat tracking when I won't play a round! Its a shame you can't just buy the videos! Will have to rely on what i've cobbled together until early spring then go all in. Love reading this stuff!

Yeah I think that's probably a good approach, tbh. If I was you, I'd buy it about a month before your 2018 season begins, watch all the videos and learn the strategy, map some of your usual courses out ahead of time, and then start recording rounds. I still don't have 5 rounds in, so the personal recommendations haven't kicked in yet on the app, but it's obviously paid dividends just learning the strategy itself!

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Drew, also a decade subscriber. without giving the system away are you using stock targeting or did you adjust down a yard as he said some of his better players do.

I'm sticking with the stock target right now. So far so good, but only 4 rounds in, so that may change in the future.

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x