Jim Hardy - The Release: Golf's Moment of Truth

MaccaRayDudley

Ordered this on Kindle yesterday. I have a problem in my swing I have been trying to fix for years. Read some extract and decided to read this book in hope it might give me info. My left arm comes down like described in the LOP (?) release and I have a lifelong tendency to hit shots off the heel as I FEEL at times like I am going to swing over the top of the ball. Obviously I never do but frequently feel like I haven't enough room through impact and when not on hit towards the heel on my irons. I also have a high rate of closure. How do I go about fixing this? The stab in the left groin?

Read through it quickly but struggle to understand what he means at times. Also I dont get his distinction between 1 and 2 plane. Sure its obvious for the extreme swings but what type of swing would an in betweener have?

Ordered this on Kindle yesterday. I have a problem in my swing I have been trying to fix for years. Read some extract and decided to read this book in hope it might give me info. My left arm comes down like described in the LOP (?) release and I have a lifelong tendency to hit shots off the heel as I FEEL at times like I am going to swing over the top of the ball. Obviously I never do but frequently feel like I haven't enough room through impact and when not on hit towards the heel on my irons. I also have a high rate of closure. How do I go about fixing this? The stab in the left groin?

Read through it quickly but struggle to understand what he means at times. Also I dont get his distinction between 1 and 2 plane. Sure its obvious for the extreme swings but what type of swing would an in betweener have?

You will have to read it a few times before you will understand what will be good for you. The stab in the left groin will be a good one to try to make sure that you get your left arm closer to your body.

http://instagram.com/p/BXmNnIzAyIU/

Matt Kuchar doing the RIT right arm drill.

Saw Hunter Mahan doing the same thing now that he's working with Chris

Whatever happened to Mahan. I can't believe how far he's fallen. When did he leave foley for O'Connell?

Since last fall, unfortunately swing and game isn't looking any better.

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/ryan-lavner/mahan-slowly-climbing-out-slump/

Whatever happened to Mahan. I can't believe how far he's fallen. When did he leave foley for O'Connell?

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/ryan-lavner/mahan-slowly-climbing-out-slump/

Yeh, it's too bad, I always was a fan of Mahan. But he just seems like he's totally lost it, I just looked at his results from this year and he missed like 75% of cuts. Hope he can get it back on track.

http://www.golfchann...bing-out-slump/

Yeh, it's too bad, I always was a fan of Mahan. But he just seems like he's totally lost it, I just looked at his results from this year and he missed like 75% of cuts. Hope he can get it back on track.

I agree. Have also been a fan. I followed him at Bridgestone several years ago. Incredible ball striker. Hopefully he'll get it back. Not sure about the swing change. Not everyone can totally change their swing like Tiger. With all due respect to O'Connell, I wonder if he should have just stuck with Foley.

I think that it is all mental. Mahan says he hits it great on the range. Funny, this is exactly what Phil said yesterday after his PGA debacle. He said he was hitting it great on the range but could not focus on the course and visualize the shots.

Who has had this experience? Hitting it great on the range but not being able to bring it to the course?

I think that it is all mental. Mahan says he hits it great on the range. Funny, this is exactly what Phil said yesterday after his PGA debacle. He said he was hitting it great on the range but could not focus on the course and visualize the shots.

Who has had this experience? Hitting it great on the range but not being able to bring it to the course?

Not sure about Hunter, but I'm sure Phil was distracted by thinking about how much money he made in the stock market this week...

Now he's hitting it bad on the range and course from what I've seen. Worse on the range this year

• 3 weeks later...

I've been to Jim Hardy twice and his whole deal is the flight of the ball and then to work backwards from there to get it right. In fact he really only looks at the ball flight for the 1st 10-20 balls before he looks at your swing in detail. My issue back then was being way to steep on the downswing which, among a few other things he helped me create more width with my right arm. He helped me immensely 10 years ago but now that I'm 63 I just don' think I have the upper body strength and core strength to have a passive release.

I've been to Jim Hardy twice and his whole deal is the flight of the ball and then to work backwards from there to get it right. In fact he really only looks at the ball flight for the 1st 10-20 balls before he looks at your swing in detail. My issue back then was being way to steep on the downswing which, among a few other things he helped me create more width with my right arm. He helped me immensely 10 years ago but now that I'm 63 I just don' think I have the upper body strength and core strength to have a passive release.

I am 57, and I am just wrapping up two months of PT that had a heavy focus on core strength and stability. It was motivated by a bout of lumbar radiculopathy ("sciatica"). Getting old is no fun, but it is even less fun if you let you core go. For me, I have come to the realization that I have to do an hour of exercises at least 4 times a week no matter how boring I find it.

What I am getting at is a core workout routine is important for health and you get the side benefit of being able to play golf better.

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead

I'm sure that approach has merits, but my best experience with a teacher was the opposite. It happened when I arrived in Texarcana to get a long lesson from slicefixer, my ballstriking was terrible. And I feared that this would lead to a lesson where he quick-fixed old flaws that would anyway be gone the next day. But Geoff saw right through it. He looked at my motion and diagnosed it in a way that gave me a couple of light bulb moments that are still relevant some 7 years later.

I am about half way though the book and find it very interesting. I'm definitely an RIT guy and have played quite well with my version �� of the Geoff Jones (Slicefixer) swing over the past 4 years. As such my intent has never been to throw the clubhead out as Hardy describes, though passively through the ball the resulting release was much like Hardy describes for the RIT.

I have experimented a bit with these concepts and the results have been good. I shot 71 yesterday in 40 degree weather with 20+mph winds, a very good round for me!

A key in applying these concepts (for the RIT)is to take a little more time in transition with the pivot, but once you start turning, you have to pivot all the way through aggressively. Lag pressure is maintained by your pivot even though your throwing with that sunny side up slap-hinge. Any pivot stall kills this method.

A real revelation with the RIT release is how close to the body and vertical the lead arm should be at and just thru impact as you shift to the trail arm being the plane arm. This is something I've done unconsciously with the SF type swing, but the way Hardy describes it plus the photos in the book really helped it click for me.

When you say getting the lead arm vertical, are you talking about how aggressive you bringing it down from the top of the back swing?

Do you start throwing from the top, or do you wait to start throwing once you've started transitioning?

I've found that when I try throwing from the top, I end throwing from over the top and have a real "slappy" type of hit.

I just read the book today - or most of it. In the RIT release, the arms just drop at the beginning of the forward swing. No pulling; it is just a passive drop. Then in the release the right hand throws.

It is a good book.

I have always been a two plane person - Nicklaus and Watson were my role models. So I am an LOP candidate, and probably not going to change. At least I know what I need to accomplish.

By the way, Hardy has no problem with two-planers and the LOP release. There are plenty of hall of famers using that swing. His caution is that with that action, an LOP player needs to curve the ball, since the rate of closure is faster and it is harder to hit a straight ball with the low lofted clubs. But the advantage is higher shots.

I may start channeling Colin Montgomerie and play a fade.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

My swing is more 1 plane, a year ago started working with a instructor (pro) who teaches impact position. With me he is working on the RIT method. I have had some success, especially during lessons but always fall back to my OTT move. I can feel my right shoulder moving out and hands getting away from body but obviously over many years and lessons that is my default move. I just turned 60, have been as low as a 6hcp but really struggling with consistent contact now. I have all the swing thoughts and transition ideas built up from 30 yrs. looking for a new repetitive feel or drill to stop the bleeding.

What helps me a lot is getting the tension out of the shoulders and arms. The left shoulder can be very destructive if it is tense. Feel as if the left arm is just falling vertically to the right pocket in the down swing and keep it very close to the body throughout the swing. Also feel that you are going to hit it only half your usual yardage. You will be surprised to see that it will actually go the full distance.

I think that the older we get, the more we are getting subjected to tension in our muscles unfortunately and we need be consciously relaxed.

This video might help as well in executing the RIT better with relaxed left arm.

What helps me a lot is getting the tension out of the shoulders and arms. The left shoulder can be very destructive if it is tense. Feel as if the left arm is just falling vertically to the right pocket in the down swing and keep it very close to the body throughout the swing. Also feel that you are going to hit it only half your usual yardage. You will be surprised to see that it will actually go the full distance.

I think that the older we get, the more we are getting subjected to tension in our muscles unfortunately and we need be consciously relaxed.

This video might help as well in executing the RIT better with relaxed left arm.

You a fan of gravity drop or/and releasing pressure on the grip at the top?

You a fan of gravity drop or/and releasing pressure on the grip at the top?

I would say more of a gravity drop with the left but the right hand starts throwing the club head out almost immediately from the top. As others have said, it is quite similar to Malaska's turning the corner. Hands in, club head out.

I've read and am re-reading Jim's RELEASE book and think it goes along nicely with Mike Malaska's latest videos.

Now, both of their ideas make more sense to me and are easier to perform.

Both also make me understand why Stack and Tilt worked the way it did (LOP) to eliminate slicing.

All good stuff.

After reading your comment I just started the RIT a week ago and so far the results are amazing.

I bought and read parts of the book a while back, I tried some things, but it didn't work for me so i stopped and went back to my left arm pull. I did not understand the throw until I looked up Malaska after reading this comment.

I was afraid of OTT, but i quickly found that it doesn't with the RIT if you just lose tension in the arms and let it all drop. I think the reason most people have trouble transitioning to this is because it doesn't feel athletic at all for the arms, you have to lose all tension. For me it's closer to playing a musical instrument than swinging a baseball bat. It's so weird but the results have been amazing for me. It's like the total opposite of how I was doing things before in terms on intentions and feel. It's effortless power by directing the momentum like Malaska says.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

I've read and am re-reading Jim's RELEASE book and think it goes along nicely with Mike Malaska's latest videos.

Now, both of their ideas make more sense to me and are easier to perform.

Both also make me understand why Stack and Tilt worked the way it did (LOP) to eliminate slicing.

All good stuff.

All the Stack and Tilt guys I saw teach lessons in person eliminate slicing by strengthening left hand grip big time and then taking hands inside on backswing so that you swing out to the right. It would usually start with hands in and swinging out to the right and they would start pushing shots so they would then strengthen the crap out of the left hand and boom you've got a push draw and nothing else

No neither of these two videos mentioned are the RIT, I hope people don't watch the Tischler and Monte videos and think they are the RIT. Those two videos may help some people but I don't think they go with Hardy's one plane like the RIT does. The Monte turn and cast can be catastrophic since he shows a two plane backswing.

The RIT is awesome, effortless power and height. Hardy is going to come out with a instructional video soon going over both the LOP and the RIT.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

No neither of these two videos mentioned are the RIT, I hope people don't watch the Tischler and Monte videos and think they are the RIT. Those two videos may help some people but I don't think they go with Hardy's one plane like the RIT does. The Monte turn and cast can be catastrophic since he shows a two plane backswing.

The RIT is awesome, effortless power and height. Hardy is going to come out with a instructional video soon going over both the LOP and the RIT.

What theory does this move if any come under

What is this astrophysics? Based on who made the video, I can conclusively say that it's EA Tischler's "theory". He's a good teacher and can play very well too.

What is this astrophysics? Based on who made the video, I can conclusively say that it's EA Tischler's "theory". He's a good teacher and can play very well too.

Thanks for the contribution

Thanks for the contribution

No prob. Tischler's a good teacher, think he's waaaaay ahead of hardy et al imo (at least he can play), so if you like what you see with him I'd go with it. Happy to help.

• 4 months later...