Golf Fix: Jim Hardy talks one-plane swing

http://www.golfchann...ne-plane-swing/

71-fAWUn7eL.jpg

The Release: Golf's Moment of Truth Hardcover – July 1, 2016

by Jim Hardy (Author), MJ Rumminger (Editor), & 1 more

4.1 out of 5 stars 9 customer reviews

Kindle $18.05

Hardcover $26.90

It seems to me that Jim Hardy's 1p/2p theory is very simplistic black and white theory. I believe most pro swings are hybrid swings. Jack Nicklaus and Sam Snead two of the greatest golfers of all times with more tournament wins than any other golfers in the world weren't "one planers"!

The arms move up and down in front of your chest, not around your body Jimmy! (see Arm Swing Illusion thread). Looks like Jim Hardy is trying to change and modify his misleading "Plane Truth" theory toward John Jacob's impact conditions theory. Impact conditions don't care about what and how many planes you were on. There are zillions of ways to take the club back.

Hello, I’m a long time student of Jim Hardy, know him well, and have a good understanding of THE RELEASE. Scanning the posts here, it appears as though no one has brought up perhaps the most significant aspect of the book, aside from its contribution relative to differentiating a lead arm outward pulling cross over release versus a back arm inward throwing release. If you read the book carefully, you’ll realize that the RIT or right inward throwing release action Jim presents in the book features no shaft rotation through the impact zone. This is a release in which the right hand throws the head from behind the player using extension to flexion with no right forearm rotation. It takes some learning because most of us have hit a million balls or more squaring the face with arm rotation, but once you get it down your impact consistency will soar. In an LOP release the face is squared with arm rotation featuring a high rate of club face closure, what Jim refers to as ROC. In the RIT Jim presents, you can achieve a very low ROC and thus a very stable face. This is what Matt Kuchar does and one big reason his ball striking is so consistent. There is gold in this book for both LOP releasers and RIT’ers.

Like 1P/2P, it is not just LOP or RIT, it is a continuum! It is not just black or white!

Over the past 30 years I have been to the following instructors:

- Jimmy Ballard

- Brian Mogg

- David Glenz

- Geoff Jones

- Jim Hardy

Hardy, by far was the best for me, although Geoff Jones is great as well. Saw Jim twice. Aside from being a complete gentleman he was able to get me to understand the swing and more importantly, help me self correct. There is a misconception about what he teaches. He doesn't do radical swing overhauls; he uses what you have to create the optimal swing path to produce the correct ball flight. Now, I admit that when I was in college I had a plus 3 handicap but over the years as I reached my 50s it ballooned to a 6. After reading his 1st book I decided to go see him and after 2 days of working hard I returned home and won my club championship by 13 shots at - 3 for 3 rounds. Saw him again 2 years later and at age 55 was the medalist in one of the NJ State Am qualifiers.

A few things in my swing were changed that made a huge difference:

1. Posture; slightly more bent over

2. Turning in what he calls the "zone"

3. Getting my left elbow and arm up and back briskly on the downswing which freed up my right arm and hand to freewheel through the shot

4. More width in my right arm on the backswing

These are the things he had me work on and the results were almost instantaneous.

As for Geoff; similar concepts although he is at odds with Hardy on how the arms work in the backswing, however; similar concepts on the downswing; "nuking it" as he says by whipping the arms and hands to the left as fast as possible. Geoff is a treasure and a great guy.

- Jimmy Ballard

- Brian Mogg

- David Glenz

- Geoff Jones

- Jim Hardy

Hardy, by far was the best for me, although Geoff Jones is great as well. Saw Jim twice. Aside from being a complete gentleman he was able to get me to understand the swing and more importantly, help me self correct. There is a misconception about what he teaches. He doesn't do radical swing overhauls; he uses what you have to create the optimal swing path to produce the correct ball flight. Now, I admit that when I was in college I had a plus 3 handicap but over the years as I reached my 50s it ballooned to a 6. After reading his 1st book I decided to go see him and after 2 days of working hard I returned home and won my club championship by 13 shots at - 3 for 3 rounds. Saw him again 2 years later and at age 55 was the medalist in one of the NJ State Am qualifiers.

3. Getting my left elbow and arm up and back briskly on the downswing which freed up my right arm and hand to freewheel through the shot

These are the things he had me work on and the results were almost instantaneous.

As for Geoff; similar concepts although he is at odds with Hardy on how the arms work in the backswing, however; similar concepts on the downswing; "nuking it" as he says by whipping the arms and hands to the left as fast as possible. Geoff is a treasure and a great guy.

Curious, what about the difference between JH and Geoff Jones in terms of the how the right wrists release? Did JH get into letting the right wrist go from extension to flexion?

- Jimmy Ballard

- Brian Mogg

- David Glenz

- Geoff Jones

- Jim Hardy

Curious, what about the difference between JH and Geoff Jones in terms of the how the right wrists release? Did JH get into letting the right wrist go from extension to flexion?

JH liked the right wrist "frozen" on the backswing with the weight of the club providing for the natural cocking of the wrist at the top. From the top he liked the right arm to drop down toward the right pocket and then thrown around and up on the shaft plane similar to skipping a stone without independent manipulation of the right wrist. I can't exactly remember but I think Geoff liked more of an earlier cocking of the wrists on the backswing up on plane and then advocated a hard throwing of the right arm and wrist to the left after the hips had cleared. Geoff told me to imagine I was trying to hit a hard cut around a tree with a ton of speed. This was a drill to swing left. Both instructors made the point that since you are standing to the side of the ball, the swing is always in to in. They both agree that swinging down the line too long can mess up your back over the long run. Hope that helps.

I recommend that you get THE RELEASE and read it carefully. The RIT (Right Inward Throw) release described in the book is a remarkable refinement of Jim's thinking. He has always been oriented toward moving the club head on what he calls the "outer circle," while moving the hands and handle on what he calls the "inner circle," all the way around the pivoting body. The action set forth in THE RELEASE involves a throw of the head from behind the player out in front of the player on to the outer circle as the hands and handle drop down to the inner circle. The great contribution of this wonderful book is the way this can happen such that there is no shaft rotation, which means that the club face is square to the arc of the head throughout the impact area. This is a throwing action with no leverage which produces very high head speed. This is break through stuff and you won't understand it unless you either get the book and study it or go see a Plane Truth instructor. By the way, Jim Hardy and Chris O'Connell do occasional schools aimed at enthusiastic amateur golfers. If you visit the Plane Truth website, you can find out about upcoming schools.

How is the Kindle version of the book now? I heard it was terrible when it came out.

Kindle version is solid... I was able to read it without any issues, pages flowed decently. Some pics with text off here or there, but nothing major. Worth the money.

Callaway Paradym Triple 🔹 8*
AI Smoke Max 3wood 14*
Apex UW 19*
Callaway Apex MB '24 
Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 56, 60
Jailbird

How is the Kindle version of the book now? I heard it was terrible when it came out.

It's good! The initial Kindle version of THE RELEASE was in a fixed format, an effort to replicate the aesthetic appearance of the hard copy version of the book. it really is a stunning looking book. But that meant that the font could not be enlarged and readers couldn't highlight. Kindle readers expressed preference for text resizing and highlighting, so the Kindle version was revised to a reflowable layout -- not as pretty but better for an instructional kind of book, I think.

Hello, I’m a long time student of Jim Hardy, know him well, and have a good understanding of THE RELEASE. Scanning the posts here, it appears as though no one has brought up perhaps the most significant aspect of the book, aside from its contribution relative to differentiating a lead arm outward pulling cross over release versus a back arm inward throwing release. If you read the book carefully, you’ll realize that the RIT or right inward throwing release action Jim presents in the book features no shaft rotation through the impact zone. This is a release in which the right hand throws the head from behind the player using extension to flexion with no right forearm rotation. It takes some learning because most of us have hit a million balls or more squaring the face with arm rotation, but once you get it down your impact consistency will soar. In an LOP release the face is squared with arm rotation featuring a high rate of club face closure, what Jim refers to as ROC. In the RIT Jim presents, you can achieve a very low ROC and thus a very stable face. This is what Matt Kuchar does and one big reason his ball striking is so consistent. There is gold in this book for both LOP releasers and RIT’ers.

The ROC argument he presents is not groundbreaking, it is wrong.

Hello, I'm a long time student of Jim Hardy, know him well, and have a good understanding of THE RELEASE. Scanning the posts here, it appears as though no one has brought up perhaps the most significant aspect of the book, aside from its contribution relative to differentiating a lead arm outward pulling cross over release versus a back arm inward throwing release. If you read the book carefully, you'll realize that the RIT or right inward throwing release action Jim presents in the book features no shaft rotation through the impact zone. This is a release in which the right hand throws the head from behind the player using extension to flexion with no right forearm rotation. It takes some learning because most of us have hit a million balls or more squaring the face with arm rotation, but once you get it down your impact consistency will soar. In an LOP release the face is squared with arm rotation featuring a high rate of club face closure, what Jim refers to as ROC. In the RIT Jim presents, you can achieve a very low ROC and thus a very stable face. This is what Matt Kuchar does and one big reason his ball striking is so consistent. There is gold in this book for both LOP releasers and RIT'ers.

FWP care to elaborate please.

It's worth adding that JH defines ROC, for his purposes, as the club face closure relative to the path not the target.

All comments are made from the point of
view of my learning and not a claim
to expertise.

Bought the book and I've completed 41% according to Kindle. This is an outstanding book! I have never read a golf book that breaks down the release, or entire golf swing for that matter, in such detail. It may be a little difficult to understand for a beginner, but if you are someone who has average to slightly above average swing knowledge it is a real eye opener.

Excellent book. Just found out this morning that I was trying to play with a RIT release not realizing that the left arm needs to drop very close to the body in that type of release. No wonder I was blocking and pull hooking so many shots. I already started to get the right feeling of the RIT release by getting the left arm more passive but after reading this book I now know why that is.

Are there any differences in this latest book to the Plane Truth videos done 5ish years ago?

Jim is probably a coach best seen in person and I expect where he falls short with a large amount of golf nerds is he isn't complicated in approach.

Youtube golf instruction video
only shows a ball distance or direction
of about 3 inches

Are there any differences in this latest book to the Plane Truth videos done 5ish years ago?

Jim is probably a coach best seen in person and I expect where he falls short with a large amount of golf nerds is he isn't complicated in approach.

Don't know. Did not see those videos. I can confirm that the book is not complicated. It might be that sometimes he has the science wrong but his ideas how to move the golf club in practical life make a lot of sense.

Hello, I'm a long time student of Jim Hardy, know him well, and have a good understanding of THE RELEASE. Scanning the posts here, it appears as though no one has brought up perhaps the most significant aspect of the book, aside from its contribution relative to differentiating a lead arm outward pulling cross over release versus a back arm inward throwing release. If you read the book carefully, you'll realize that the RIT or right inward throwing release action Jim presents in the book features no shaft rotation through the impact zone. This is a release in which the right hand throws the head from behind the player using extension to flexion with no right forearm rotation. It takes some learning because most of us have hit a million balls or more squaring the face with arm rotation, but once you get it down your impact consistency will soar. In an LOP release the face is squared with arm rotation featuring a high rate of club face closure, what Jim refers to as ROC. In the RIT Jim presents, you can achieve a very low ROC and thus a very stable face. This is what Matt Kuchar does and one big reason his ball striking is so consistent. There is gold in this book for both LOP releasers and RIT'ers.

It's worth adding that JH defines ROC, for his purposes, as the club face closure relative to the path not the target.

The RIT release doesn't keep the shaft from rotating. It's a nice thought but it isn't happening. I know how he is measuring rate of closure and he is still wrong. We have tested and measured roc on gears.

The RIT release doesn't keep the shaft from rotating. It's a nice thought but it isn't happening. I know how he is measuring rate of closure and he is still wrong. We have tested and measured roc on gears.

The book is great and very helpful. That is all that matters.

The book is great and very helpful. That is all that matters.

It could be great and very helpful and also correct. No reason to exaggerate to try and sell your method with false claims of almost zero rate of closure, or shaft not rotating

Yes, this book provides new information reflecting Jim Hardy’s continuing study of the golf swing. It’s his first book directly relating to the release and, in my judgment, a book that will be of value to any serious student of the golf swing. Jim is an empiricist, meaning that his knowledge is derived from his senses and his experience. It’s tried and true information from a man with an extraordinary eye for the golf swing as well as a deep understanding of the physics of the swing. As I stressed in an earlier post recommending THE RELEASE, a special contribution of the book is how to release the club in what Jim calls the RIT (right inward throw) in a way that keeps the face square to its arc through the hitting area. Take a look at figures 1.4 and 1.5 in the book to see what I’m referring to. Another huge plus of the RIT release, when correctly executed, is tremendous head speed. So, what we’ve got here is a release that’s both highly stable and capable of producing exceptional distance.

By the way, fun demonstrations of what throwing the head can accomplish is provided by Mike Austin in this Youtube video starting about one minute into the clip:

Yes, this book provides new information reflecting Jim Hardy’s continuing study of the golf swing. It’s his first book directly relating to the release and, in my judgment, a book that will be of value to any serious student of the golf swing. Jim is an empiricist, meaning that his knowledge is derived from his senses and his experience. It’s tried and true information from a man with an extraordinary eye for the golf swing as well as a deep understanding of the physics of the swing. As I stressed in an earlier post recommending THE RELEASE, a special contribution of the book is how to release the club in what Jim calls the RIT (right inward throw) in a way that keeps the face square to its arc through the hitting area. Take a look at figures 1.4 and 1.5 in the book to see what I’m referring to. Another huge plus of the RIT release, when correctly executed, is tremendous head speed. So, what we’ve got here is a release that’s both highly stable and capable of producing exceptional distance.

By the way, fun demonstrations of what throwing the head can accomplish is provided by Mike Austin in this Youtube video starting about one minute into the clip:

Care to post figure 1.4 and 1.5?

Yes, this book provides new information reflecting Jim Hardy's continuing study of the golf swing. It's his first book directly relating to the release and, in my judgment, a book that will be of value to any serious student of the golf swing. Jim is an empiricist, meaning that his knowledge is derived from his senses and his experience. It's tried and true information from a man with an extraordinary eye for the golf swing as well as a deep understanding of the physics of the swing. As I stressed in an earlier post recommending THE RELEASE, a special contribution of the book is how to release the club in what Jim calls the RIT (right inward throw) in a way that keeps the face square to its arc through the hitting area. Take a look at figures 1.4 and 1.5 in the book to see what I'm referring to. Another huge plus of the RIT release, when correctly executed, is tremendous head speed. So, what we've got here is a release that's both highly stable and capable of producing exceptional distance.

Sorry, I'd like to share those images with you but I don't want to post copyrighted content. The Kindle version of the book is only $18. I'll bet you'd find it worth reading. Amazon has a return policy on digital books that lets you return them within a certain time if you decide you made a buying mistake. Here's a Golf Channel clip of Jim explaining the two types of releases. Watch the face when he demonstrates the RIT and that will give you a good sense of how stable it is. http://www.golfchannel.com/media/hardy-explains-theories-releasing-club/

So you have not even looked at the book but decide to comment on how wrong Hardy is? Very nice.

So you have not even looked at the book but decide to comment on how wrong Hardy is? Very nice.

Did you miss the post where I said I sat through a 3 hour presentation with Jim as he presented all of this prior to the book even being released? I know exactly what he is saying/claiming. I was just asking for specific images being referenced so I could comment on them specifically. I can speak at length about the theories he is espousing.

Yes, this book provides new information reflecting Jim Hardy's continuing study of the golf swing. It's his first book directly relating to the release and, in my judgment, a book that will be of value to any serious student of the golf swing. Jim is an empiricist, meaning that his knowledge is derived from his senses and his experience. It's tried and true information from a man with an extraordinary eye for the golf swing as well as a deep understanding of the physics of the swing. As I stressed in an earlier post recommending THE RELEASE, a special contribution of the book is how to release the club in what Jim calls the RIT (right inward throw) in a way that keeps the face square to its arc through the hitting area. Take a look at figures 1.4 and 1.5 in the book to see what I'm referring to. Another huge plus of the RIT release, when correctly executed, is tremendous head speed. So, what we've got here is a release that's both highly stable and capable of producing exceptional distance.

Sorry, I'd like to share those images with you but I don't want to post copyrighted content. The Kindle version of the book is only $18. I'll bet you'd find it worth reading. Amazon has a return policy on digital books that lets you return them within a certain time if you decide you made a buying mistake. Here's a Golf Channel clip of Jim explaining the two types of releases. Watch the face when he demonstrates the RIT and that will give you a good sense of how stable it is. http://www.golfchannel.com/media/hardy-explains-theories-releasing-club/

I am well versed in Kim's theories on how to release the club. Just wanted to be able to address these specific images you referenced in particular.

The 3 things I got from the book relative to me were;

1. Pictures from the book were showed in the thread on ROC and the squareness of the club to path from parallel in the downswing for the RIT release makes sense. It seems to me that even the worthies have it wrong when they say the pivot squares the face. It seems to me that with the RIT the face is square to path and the pivot delivers the already square face.

2. With the RIT the trail elbow should not pass the trail hip before impact. This really helped me pivot but as he says you have to give up control to gain control. Before I got the book I'd done this after watching one of DWs videos and before I started lessons with him. Never hit the ball straighter in my life but didn't really understand what I was doing until I read the book.

3. Taking on board Hardys assertion that there are 2 categories of release was a big ah ha moment. I knew I hit better shots when I lead with the trail elbow. I also knew I pulled with the left side because the muscle under my left shoulder blade got sore. The left side pull feels powerful as he says. Turns out I was mixing the LOP and RIT. I also think DW sorting out my grip helped. I was feeling the weight of the club in my lead thumb because it was too much on the side of the club so at the start of the downswing was pushing back with the thumb and pulling with the lead side.

I'm committed to the RIT now and have already seen some improvements with the irons. I use a 12.5 degree strong 3 wood off the tee and don't hit up. Given my swing speed this is probably the loft that a driver fitting would recommend but it has the advantage of being a shorter shaft length.

I was suffering from pushes and blocks but the RIT has minimised this. Still need to work on it but when I get it right I'm outhitting my buddies or keeping up with their drives and I'm 15 years older than them.

The RIT seems to me to be exactly what Dan Whittaker coaches and matches up with his videos on 'reducing the timing in your swing'.

My next lesson with him is on the 11th of this month so I'm going to check it out with him.

All comments are made from the point of
view of my learning and not a claim
to expertise.

Great video of the RIT release.

[media=]

[/media]

This looks a lot like what Butch and Tiger were working on in that golf channel academy show in the early 2000's (video has been posted on here a 100 times at least). A little bit of a Malaska move also.

I'm about 2/3'rds of the way through the book now and love it! My first round after starting the book was a 74 with 4 birdies. Maintaining right wrist flexion, getting my right elbow to my right hip and then turning hard left are my current thoughts/feels/intents (whichever you prefer) now and it seems to be working.