2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Denver area golf in the winter

jewofgolf

I'm considering a move to Denver. I've read a ton of posts on this subject but it's fairly inconclusive regarding my specific question:

In general/on average, how often throughout the winter are you guys unable to play? Assumptions - any weather as long as a course is open, willing to drive up to 90 minutes each way, assume weekends are the only option.

I'm willing to give my weekly round up every other week, but not every week for an extended period of time. I realize weather is crazy, which is why I asked for an expectation/average.

Thanks!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have lived in the Denver area for a little over 11 years. In those 11 years, the snow stuck on the ground all winter season for 2 of those years. Typically the snow falls and it is gone within 2 days.

Many courses stay open all year round, so unless you end up living way outside the city or suburbs, you should have a drive of a lot less than 90 minutes to a course.

If the snow doesn't stick, you should be able to play almost every weekend if your ok playing in 30-40 degree weather. There is probably a couple of weeks at the end of Jan or early Feb that are just too cold, but a really cold day could be followed by a day in the 60s. You just never know.

I've been living in Colorado Springs for 3 years and the longest I've gone without play due to weather/snow was 16 days. I play 9 holes everyday weather permitting and play in 30 degree weather without issues - 30 degrees at altitude with low humidity doesn't feel that cold surprisingly. Of course, if it's windy and 30 then that's another story.

Handicap:  3

I can't give you exact Denver area conditions, but at least somewhat in the region . I'm about 100 miles north and 50 miles east of Fort Collins.

We moved back here from Phoenix in 1992. In that time I've had two winters where I didn't play every single month of the year. Now admittedly some of those rounds really weren't golf weather, but at least I was able to get out. And I believe Denver is marginally warmer, average wise, then we are.

I agree with deadsolid. It's about 120 miles from Fort Collins to Colorado Springs so the temp change is likely marginal. The likelihood of courses being open will depend on which areas get hit with the snow the hardest. But if you're willing to drive 30 or 45 minutes around Denver, you should be a course open when the snow is gone during the winter season.

My brother- and sister-in-law live in Denver and they both play regularly throughout the winter months. Two years ago they played on Christmas. The pond at their club was frozen solid but it was 70 and sunny out. He said that last year was the only year he's been living out there (5-6 years now) that he wasn't able to play at least once a month due to snow.

Titleist TSi3 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Red 6S
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S
TaylorMade UDI 2 iron - Tour Only Project X HZRDUS 105g 6.5
TaylorMade RSI 3 iron - KBS C Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 4 iron - KBS C Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW - KBS C Taper X
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 54* SB - KBS C Taper S
TaylorMade Milled Grind Hi-Toe 58* - KBS C Taper S
Custom Cameron & Crown Mallet 1 or Futura 5W w/ custom flow neck
TaylorMade TP5x 

My wife's uncle lives in Boulder. Wild weather swings in the winter, from 70* to 12+ inches of snow, but generally he can play year round. While it might be below freezing in the morning, many times it warms up to 60 or above in the afternoon. Denver is a little different though since it's in the flats at the base of the mountains rather than situated in them like a lot of the other towns.

Thanks for the responses guys. Is there a difference between being in the North vs. South suburbs when considering the likely courses to be open? For example, is Colorado Springs more likely to have an open course than Fort Collins given a typical winter?

IMO the amount of snow is difference is pretty marginal between C Springs and Fort Collins. I'm pretty sure Fort Collins gets a little more but not enough to sway your decision. If your willing to drive 90 miles you will almost always be able to find somewhere to play.

Keep in mind the grass will be dormant and dry. Ponds are sometimes frozen. Temps cold but manageable. I do play throughout the winter but my rounds go down considerably. I mix in a fair amount of skiing and trip to Phoenix or warmer climates. Keeps me pretty content.

I'll echo most other Dever-ites' posts: It'll snow, but you're usually playing again within 2-4 days. Everyone assumes that because of the mountains, we're just inundated with the white stuff all winter long...but that's pretty inaccurate.

Sure, you'll likely deal with a course or two that has snow stick a little longer, but in general, getting winter rounds in is no trouble at all.

Lot of good responses on the thread. I've lived in the Rockies for most of my life. Along the Denver front range, if you are willing to drive, you can (almost) always find an open course year-round. However, there is so much more to do that a week or two without golf is no big deal. Skiing, snowshoeing, biking, etc. keeps everything fresh.

drn92

• 2 weeks later...

Leave it to the first snow of the season to mess up my golf plans!

Got a new driver & irons in the mail Friday night, with tee times over the weekend. In a cruel twist of fate, Thursdays minimal snow still hadn't melted enough to be able to play at all this weekend. I'm just dying to try out these new clubs.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a new driver & irons in the mail Friday night, with tee times over the weekend. In a cruel twist of fate, Thursdays minimal snow still hadn't melted enough to be able to play at all this weekend. I'm just dying to try out these new clubs.

What did you get?! Hopefully you got to play them before this cold set in...

What did you get?! Hopefully you got to play them before this cold set in...

I got a new SLDR 430cc TP driver, and a gently used set of TP MC irons. Played my first round with everything yesterday down at Arrowhead. Hit the new driver so much straighter and further than my previous one.

I moved out of Denver 20 years ago and still miss it. Golf in the morning, Ski in the afternoon during the winter. As others have said, the weather is tolerable for winter play as long as the snow is mostly gone. I carried a 2 iron in the winter and used it off the tee, that thing would roll forever.

I lived by Cherry Creek reservoir and played most of the courses in the Denver area and South of Denver, I didn't make it north of Denver much however.

TM Stealth Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue Velocore S

TM SIM2 Max 3W 15 - Black Tour AD Di7 S

Ping G425 Hybrid 19 - Ping Tour 85 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-7) ZX7 (8-W) Modus 120 S

Cleveland Zipcore RTX6 -50, 54, 58, DG Tour Spinner

Scotty Cameron Newport Select Custom 2015 model