2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

New 2017 TaylorMade M1 Driver?

ConfusedGolfer3412

damn it, no KK DC 70g !!

I know. Only the 60. I wondered if it was even the real 60 too since it was no upcharge.

It is, but remember this is just the replacement of the silver tini. It is NOT Kuro Kage xt like day or rory plays. That's a whole different animal all together.

I loved silver tini 70g. I just tried 70xt (albeit on my fwy) and it was WAYY too light. Maybe because it was from Japan? Anyways, I couldn't time it at all. what's so special about xt other than tours play?

I'm guessing you are talking about the version before the Dual Core, by the wording that you "loved"(past tense) the Silver tini 70g. The XT compared to the Silver in that version is about 5 grams lighter in the 70 gram(about 71 grams for the XT and 76 grams for the Silver) and much more stiff, especially in the tip. So, the XT probably would have felt lighter than the Silver.

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

first shipment of demo stuff showed up today....i liked the M1 better than M2. my crappy swings were still getting about 1.48 smash. i haven't even hit a TM driver since the R1, and this sounds way better. i'm hopeful for when mine shows up.

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 Speeder Evolution 757x
Titleist 917F3 13.5 Fuji Speeder Pro TS 84X
Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

it'll be interesting what kind of results i get...i requested the same setup as you, 440 head, 9.5, 757 evo x.

i'm not sure i can quite gear it up to 120 anymore - i'm getting old - but i was hitting 110 today in tennis shoes on a wet mat...so maybe.

Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

It makes a huge difference. I've never had issues elevating the low spin low launch of any Aldila shafts including the famous protopype and rip phenom nl (tour x flex) And with sldr 430 8.5 to boot, apparently the driver no one could spin and I had amazing launch with. When I uncovered that my custom order last year was tipped for a vanilla 70x silver rogue it explained why I couldn't elevate the ball at all with low right dead slices.

they tip them an inch because of the adaptor, like 5 years ago I had them not tip it so it would just go straight in and it didnt play right. Tip was very active for the shaft

Isn't it depending on what the manufacturer says? Like Aldila in their tipping instructions says driver 0'' tipping, 3w/5w 1'' then cut to length from the butt?

"We recommend trimming the driver shaft to length from the butt. Tip fairway woods 1″, then trim to length from the butt. For hosels with bore-depths greater than 2″, we recommend blind-boring the shaft in the hosel 1 3/4″.

No. They do their own thing without regard to the manufacturers recommended trimming instructions

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 MCA MMT 80X @ 45.5”

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Mini 340 Shaft TBD @ 43.75”

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 MCA MMT 80X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Cleveland RTX Full Face 2 58/8 DG Spinner

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5S 34” (Yes the Rife Phenom.Z 34” of 10+ years may be retired) 

It makes a huge difference. I've never had issues elevating the low spin low launch of any Aldila shafts including the famous protopype and rip phenom nl (tour x flex) And with sldr 430 8.5 to boot, apparently the driver no one could spin and I had amazing launch with. When I uncovered that my custom order last year was tipped for a vanilla 70x silver rogue it explained why I couldn't elevate the ball at all with low right dead slices.

they tip them an inch because of the adaptor, like 5 years ago I had them not tip it so it would just go straight in and it didnt play right. Tip was very active for the shaft

Isn't it depending on what the manufacturer says? Like Aldila in their tipping instructions says driver 0'' tipping, 3w/5w 1'' then cut to length from the butt?

"We recommend trimming the driver shaft to length from the butt. Tip fairway woods 1″, then trim to length from the butt. For hosels with bore-depths greater than 2″, we recommend blind-boring the shaft in the hosel 1 3/4″.

No. They do their own thing without regard to the manufacturers recommended trimming instructions

Exactly, TMAG does not tip the shafts because of "the adapter". If you talk to the shaft companies, which absolutely understand most drivers are sold with adapters, hence they write their instructions for those such drivers, they do not recommend tipping the shafts if you want it to play true to their flex. A standard bore and the adapter depth are the same.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

Exactly, TMAG does not tip the shafts because of "the adapter". If you talk to the shaft companies, which absolutely understand most drivers are sold with adapters, hence they write their instructions for those such drivers, they do not recommend tipping the shafts if you want it to play true to their flex. A standard bore and the adapter depth are the same.

titleist use to because of their adaptor and the shaft company had no idea when I talked to them, still gave the standard instructions. I don't think anyone has got a straight answer from TM on why they do

Adapter or no adapter, they are standard tipping shafts 1 inch unless you specifically order otherwise.

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 MCA MMT 80X @ 45.5”

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Mini 340 Shaft TBD @ 43.75”

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 MCA MMT 80X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Cleveland RTX Full Face 2 58/8 DG Spinner

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5S 34” (Yes the Rife Phenom.Z 34” of 10+ years may be retired) 

titleist use to because of their adaptor and the shaft company had no idea when I talked to them, still gave the standard instructions. I don't think anyone has got a straight answer from TM on why they do

Then why did you say TMAG tips them because of the adapter in your last post? That is misleading and incorrect. No one knows why TM does it and it makes the shaft play stiffer. You suggested you had TM put it straight in and the tip was too "Active" which would also be incorrect. Lemonade and I were just setting the record straight because your last post was BS.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

Adapter or no adapter, they are standard tipping shafts 1 inch unless you specifically order otherwise.

Wasn't aware they did on no adapter clubs. I had a shaft that felt very tip active when I had them not tip. I will ask my fitter at club champion during my fitting in a couple weeks and see if he has any true insight.

I talked with TM today about it, had them talk with R&D. I was told usually on most it's 1/2" but, it does vary some shaft to shaft, depending on manufacturer recommendations, you can also customize it through the custom shop.On fairway woods, I believe it's closer to a full inch vs driver. I was also told they do this based on their R&D that this provides more solid feel and control with their heads. Probably why I had experience with shaft feeling too active on the head compared to what I had hit before. Anyway, pretty interesting info

I saw the M1 and M2 today, and was impressed. The shafts available are pretty phenomenal, too - looking forward to trying it with the Hzrdus Yellow and KK DC 60.

Titleist TSi3 10* (at 9.25*) w/ Tour AD DI 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid w/ Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron w/ KBS Tour V S HS'd
Titleist 716CB 4-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10 (1* strong) and 58.08 with Onyx DGTI S400
PING PLD Anser D 35"

2021 ProV1 or Left Dash ProV1x (or random other tour quality balls LOL)

I had a few minutes to spare the other day, so I tried the 2017 M1. I was impressed. I have to go back with my 2016 Version and do a better comparison. I have a Matrix Black Tie on mine, is there a better option available this year for those who have a positive AoA in the 4-6 degree region?

tensei pro white or pro orange.

Taylormade Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 10*) / Denali Black 60TX

Taylormade Qi10 Tour / 3w (dialed 1 notch higher) / HZRDUS RDX Smoke Green 85 6.5

Taylormade P-DHY / 2i / Tensei Pro White 100TX
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW (3* weak) / KBS Tour X

Cleveland RTX6 / 54, 58 (full face2) / DG TI Spinner

Odyssey Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

Reports that I have read say they are.

http://www.pgatour.c...ds-hybrids.html

That only says that the 2017 M1 approaches/passes the older generation M2 in forgiveness...supposedly.

This article states that the 2017 M2 is the most forgiving driver the company has ever produced. The MOI rating is given in both this article and the M1 article you linked. The MOI is higher in the 2017 M2 when compared to the 2017 M1.

http://www.pgatour.com/equipmentreport/2016/12/07/taylormade-2017-m2-drivers-fairway-woods-hybrids.html

That only says that the 2017 M1 approaches/passes the older generation M2 in forgiveness...supposedly.

This article states that the 2017 M2 is the most forgiving driver the company has ever produced. The MOI rating is given in both this article and the M1 article you linked. The MOI is higher in the 2017 M2 when compared to the 2017 M1.

I'm confused. Didn't he ask if reports state that the 2017 M1 is as forgiving as the 2016 M2? Does this report not state that?

The weight gained from the lightweight skeletal structure and carbon composite made it feasible to expand the overall footprint by four percent (face by seven percent) while staying within the 460cc head size limit that's allowed by the USGA. That means golfers will see an improved moment of inertia (MOI) of 4420 grams-centimeters squared, making this year's M1 as forgiving as the 2016 M2.

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | G430 3 Hybrid |  ZX7 MKII 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1432048-member-testing-2017-taylormade-m1-driver-reviews/

hopefully some more data, and less conjecture, coming soon.

Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

I'm confused. Didn't he ask if reports state that the 2017 M1 is as forgiving as the 2016 M2? Does this report not state that?

The weight gained from the lightweight skeletal structure and carbon composite made it feasible to expand the overall footprint by four percent (face by seven percent) while staying within the 460cc head size limit that's allowed by the USGA. That means golfers will see an improved moment of inertia (MOI) of 4420 grams-centimeters squared, making this year's M1 as forgiving as the 2016 M2.

Seems I misread. You're correct.

I hit the 2017 m1 440 three to four times yesterday. This was my first time swinging in 3 months, with no warm up, and it was paired with a Tensei Orange shaft. I wasn't hitting it real flush, but the distance was surprising with all these factors combined. The head needs some hot melt added, and I want to test my current gamer shaft in it.

I still used my old tour 2016 m2 with elements prototype for my sim round, but I plan on testing the m1 440 a lot more when I get the time. The m2 will be incredibly tough to beat, but if I can pick up a little bit more roll out I would be very happy.

Stealth 2+ 10.5 - Ventus Black 6X

Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5 - Kaili Blue 70 TX
PXG 0311X Gen 4 - Ventus HB 10TX

PXG 0311P Gen 3- 4 iron - HZRDUS Red 105 X
PXG 0311P Gen 3 - 5 to PW - Nippon 125 X
Vokey SM9 Raw - 50F

Vokey SM9 Raw - 54S

Vokey Raw - 60K Low Bounce

Scotty Cameron X5R Flow Neck Torched Finish