2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Rams Hill - Borrego Springs, CA

Homerun2Birdie

I just felt I needed to spread the word about this absolute gem of a course. I don't see much chatter around the inter web about this place, and frankly I'm ok with that, but people who want an incredible golfing experience deserve to know about this place.

The drive is something of a brute to get to this desert paradise, as you zig-zag through mountain passes and back roads, but maybe this just adds to the mystique of the place. From the moment you pull up to the main gate the place just oozes class and hospitality. All the personnel were extremely friendly and helpful from the gateman to the carboys.

Once you check in and grab a cart you make your way to the range, which is an absolute world class design. Complete with new Titleist Pro V1 Practice balls, towels, tees, and even a range finder!

As for the course, only one word, WOW. I get that there are courses that probably have a greater mystique than this place, but to be completely honest, I do not know that there is any course around that could possibly improve upon the conditions of this place. If we are just talking pure conditions and not locations, pga rep, etc. etc. this place is absolutely on par with Augusta (and yes I have been there). Don't shoot me for saying this, Augusta is in a league of it's own obviously, I am simply speaking to the conditions of Rams Hill and how impeccably well kept the course is. I could not find anything to complain about, perhaps the fairways and greens were a bit too soft due to the rain the evening before, but that's not the maintenance crews fault, so hard to dock them for that.

Nevertheless just an absolute world class facility from top to bottom. Here are some photos I snagged along the way. The closing hole Par 5 18th is as beautiful a hole as I've ever seen.

P.S. SO MANY BUNKERS

TaylorMade Stealth 7.25º | Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade SIM2 13.5º | Diamana Thump 75X
Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5º | Diamana Thump 85X
Titleist T100s | Dynamic Gold X7
TaylorMade MG3 50º, 55º, 60º Hi Toe  | Dynamic Gold X7
PXG One & Done | Armlock

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man I love going to Rams Hill. Been there twice this year before mid summer closing and hoping to go again before end of year. Conditions are always pure and the bent grass greens are always in great shape.

Yeah I went once before they closed, and it was starting to just barely dry out, but I went this past week after they had been reopened for a few weeks and it was flat out impeccable. Definitely worth the drive every time.

PXG One & Done | Armlock

I played Rams Hill on Black Friday for the first time and it was amazing. Hope to play it again now that I have some course knowledge.

917D2 - Diamana D+ 70

917F2 - Diamana D+ 80

818H1 - Tensei CK Blue 80

716 AP2 - S300

SM7 50.08F, 54.10S, 58.12K

Pro Platinum Newport '99 w/ SuperStoke GT Pistol

ProV1

We played there in very early June. The wind must have been blowing 30 mph or more. We drove from La Quinta which took quite a while. I'm glad others had a good experience but for us in was a once in a lifetime thing.

The very first time I played was last june and it was very similar conditions - 30 mph winds with 45-50 mph gusts, and as you mentioned the drive is not an easy one so not as if we could just turn around and go home. Definitely a place to check the weather on before you leave in the morning.

For what it's worth this past trip to the course was 70 degrees, perfect blue skies, 5 mph winds.

PXG One & Done | Armlock

Great write up. Absolutely love that facility. I've played pretty much everywhere in SD public and private and Rams is IMO in better condition than any course in the county. Spent my 40th out there last spring and had a blast. Course is pure, forgiving off the tee, epic views and just feels like you're playing in isolation.

• 2 weeks later...

Well then - you may have just sealed my February golf trip!

Enjoy it man, it's an absolute blast! Get there early and make use of the world class practice facilities too! They have a top tier range, and if you take a little back road across the range they have a separate short game area that is amazing. And a great putting green and chipping green up near the 1st tee as well.

PXG One & Done | Armlock

All the good things said about Rams Hill are spot on. I played it again yesterday and it is in stunning condition - perfect fairways, thick but fair rough, and smooth and quick greens. I've played it at least a dozen times since it re-opened a couple years ago and find that I like the layout better every time I play it. In addition to its outstanding conditioning, the layout is interesting and requires some strategic play, and there isn't a weak hole on the course. It is completely worth the drive.

All the good things said about Rams Hill are spot on. I played it again yesterday and it is in stunning condition - perfect fairways, thick but fair rough, and smooth and quick greens. I've played it at least a dozen times since it re-opened a couple years ago and find that I like the layout better every time I play it. In addition to its outstanding conditioning, the layout is interesting and requires some strategic play, and there isn't a weak hole on the course. It is completely worth the drive.

I agree 100% with your comments in reference to the layout. Upon an initial glance it strikes you as straight forward and forgiving off the tee. And while the fairways are wide, which I have no problem with, the bunkering is excellent. I know for our group, which played the tips, the bunkers off the tee came in to play on just about every single tee ball. The rough is very very plush, almost juicy if you will, but it is cut uniform throughout the entire course which is all you can ask for.

We had a first timer with us, and I believe it was hole 14 (could be wrong on the number) when he mentioned that this was the first hole all day that didn't just wow him on the tee box. To which we replied 17 of 18 ain't bad.

PXG One & Done | Armlock

• 1 month later...

I'm glad i stumbled upon this thread. I have an off-road trip for work (I'm the transmission s/w lead for the Jeep Grand Cherokee) at the Anza-Borrego park. It looks like the course is only a few miles from where we are staying. I'll have to make time to play it one of the days.

I'm glad i stumbled upon this thread. I have an off-road trip for work (I'm the transmission s/w lead for the Jeep Grand Cherokee) at the Anza-Borrego park. It looks like the course is only a few miles from where we are staying. I'll have to make time to play it one of the days.

Oh man great place to do some off roading and golfing, you should no doubt enjoy your time there.

PXG One & Done | Armlock

As planning a trip to Rams Hill, I wanna avoid windy and hot time of the year. what time of the year would be the best time to visit?

Right now is as good as it gets. Weather and course are absolutely perfect. They actually close the course down starting in July I believe it is, and they just kind of let it die off until September they bring it back to life for the reopening in November. They have slide shows of it in the club house its pretty crazy.

PXG One & Done | Armlock

• 4 weeks later...

Played a round there this past weekend... AMAZING (just like every time I get out there to play it!)

We play several courses in Palm Desert each year and Rams Hill is at least as strong as most, if not all of those up north. Everything about the place is on point. As for the drive out, yeah it's long but on the bright side there is a great waitstaff at the grill ready to bring you some incredible eats when you get there or finish your round! Prime rib hash and eggs or the Chilaquiles, I'd almost drive all the way out there for the food and views from the patio alone.

This is serious golf guys. Great staff and an impeccably maintained course - deals to be had online too! If you're in Southern Cal you owe it to yourself to give it a shot.

I will be out there on Monday, getting pumped!

Looks like you should have perfect weather, enjoy! There is going to be rain a few days before, so I imagine the fairways/greens may be a bit soft, but they will be in great condition regardless.

PXG One & Done | Armlock

I will be out there on Monday, getting pumped!

Looks like you should have perfect weather, enjoy! There is going to be rain a few days before, so I imagine the fairways/greens may be a bit soft, but they will be in great condition regardless.

I was worried about the extended forecast a few days ago but it's starting to look more promising.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Played this past weekend. First time there and it is at the top of my list as a favorite course in SD.

The wind kicked up on the back 9 and it was damn near diabolical. Seemed like every hole was into the wind! Took a driver and then 2 strokes with a 230yd club to get to get near the green on 18 (listed as 558 from the golds but played damn near 700yds).

Really want to play this course. I looked it up on Google Earth and holy cow it is in the middle of nowhere!

TM M2 2017 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 65 S
Ping G400 14.5 PING Tour 80g S
Ping Anser 17* 23* PING Tour  S
PING iE1 5-PW Modus3 105 S
PING Glide 2.0 50* 54* 60* Modus 115 Wedge S
BioMech 41"
NDMC Plus 4
ProV1

Played 36 at Rams Hill yesterday with a buddy. It was my first time and his fourth. Can't say enough great things about the place. Course was immaculate and greens were so pure. Only issue we had with our morning round was getting stuck behind to foursomes. Played again in the afternoon and there was no one on the course. It was a windy, but ended up playing in 3 hours. I will definitely play again when there's another SCGA or underpar deal.

**WITB** **Driver**: Titleist TS2 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Elite Orange S **3 Wood**: Adams Idea XTD 15* Super S Hybrid w/ Fubuki AX350 S **Utility**: Titleist 818H2 19* and 23* w/ Fujikura Motore TS HB 8.8 **5-PW**: Titleist AP3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lites **WEDGES**: Titleist Vokey SM7 52* and 56* **PUTTER**: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 w/ Superstroke