Apple Watch for Golf

You have to make sure to turn off BT on your phone or Golfshot on your AW will pull the GPS data from there.

SO if your have BT off on your phone I take it you wont have any link between the watch and your phone for text and emails and calls? Or you still will if you keep wifi on?

I use game golf seems like it drains my watch badly Im wondering if its the bluetooth connection thats killing it. Plus when Im not in range it screws up the data link

That is correct. So no BT link between the phone and watch.

When I first tried Golfshot in my AW2 I could not get it to use the AW's GPS. Apparently its fixed now but you do have to kill the BT.

For me no link back to the iPhone is a good thing. I hate getting notifications when I am golfing. Way too disruptive

I dont mind it either. It makes it so Arccos doesn't work though so for me its one or the other. Still going back and forth on keeping Arccos.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi. I bought my gf an apple watch 2 with built in gps and having read this thread Im still not sure which gps app would be best for her.

It appears hole 19, golfshot plus, and swingxswing are the most favoured. The Grint appears to be good too but a bit of a battery hog. Fun Golf seems good. Its not free but not too expensive either.

She will use mostly FMB distances so it dosnt need all the bells and whistles

Im looking for an app that has the following;

Uses the watch gps

Reasonably accurate FMB distances from anywhere on the hole not just centre of fairway

Easy to read

Simple to use.

Automatically progresses to the next hole

Is easy on the watch battery

Cheers,

G

Would like distance to hazards too but not a must have.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys be careful with Apple Watch and golf. I used Hole 19 for about 200 rounds and my watch screen got screen burn according to Apple. Screen was too dim to use for anything. They said it's from the sun and you gotta be careful with OLED screens. Apple would not cover the repair (out of warranty).

good warning. I've used the app for about 225 rounds. I can't count how many have actually been on the aw and how many in bright sunny days. however good warning nonetheless...thank you.

is there any sort of bulletin they might've issued that you could pass on?

edit: I did a search on the apple forums but came up empty.

I'm using the Hole19 app, and am a Beta tester for their app.. the app GPS runs on the iPhone and then communicates the distances to the watch (back, center & front of the green). This means you can't leave the phone in the cart or bag, walk several yards to your ball and get a good distance. Also, the app appears to use the same data base as the Garmin watch and maybe some other apps, which is fine, it's robust and I've yet to not have a course I'm playing show up on it. After playing a hole you may enter your score & stats on the watch or the phone. (It's easier on the phone, IMO) After play you may save your score or discard it.. If saved the iPhone uploads the score data to their online portal (it stays on the phone too).. I have over 200 rounds stored on their app, and it gives you stats, including Driving accuracy - fairways hit, GIR, putting strokes - both for GIR and other, avg scores by par - par 3, 4 & 5's , and Recovery performance - up and down and sand saves... you can also go back to any specific round and get data for that round, and see the scorecard for the round. Considering it cost nothing, it's quite good. There are some premium functions that are include a fee, I've not used them. The developers do frequent updates and as a user you get a monthly or so email advising you that your stats for the month are available.. You can also add other Hole19 users to your profile so they can see your rounds as you can see theirs.. nice to share with friends that you don't play with frequently... All in all, it's a pretty darn good app.

200 rounds is a lot! Wish I had that kind of time!

Ive found that the watch and iphone are ok tools however their primary function is communication.

The apps and apple watch dont function 100% all the time and are accurate.

Im toying with a garmin g8...its primary and only function is golf. Im hoping that works out. Albeit its $350 its also returnable to Dicks within 30 days.

I know theres sky caddie and maybe 1 or 2 others but when I use the iphone it just seems too distracting to me with the texts and calls and emails and stuff.

Lock and unlock etc etc

Free I guess you make it work

Love Hole 19. Have 70 some odd rounds on there.

The only thing that would make it better was calculating handicaps. Other than that, it's great.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

I'm using the Hole19 app, and am a Beta tester for their app.. the app GPS runs on the iPhone and then communicates the distances to the watch (back, center & front of the green). This means you can't leave the phone in the cart or bag, walk several yards to your ball and get a good distance. Also, the app appears to use the same data base as the Garmin watch and maybe some other apps, which is fine, it's robust and I've yet to not have a course I'm playing show up on it. After playing a hole you may enter your score & stats on the watch or the phone. (It's easier on the phone, IMO) After play you may save your score or discard it.. If saved the iPhone uploads the score data to their online portal (it stays on the phone too).. I have over 200 rounds stored on their app, and it gives you stats, including Driving accuracy - fairways hit, GIR, putting strokes - both for GIR and other, avg scores by par - par 3, 4 & 5's , and Recovery performance - up and down and sand saves... you can also go back to any specific round and get data for that round, and see the scorecard for the round. Considering it cost nothing, it's quite good. There are some premium functions that are include a fee, I've not used them. The developers do frequent updates and as a user you get a monthly or so email advising you that your stats for the month are available.. You can also add other Hole19 users to your profile so they can see your rounds as you can see theirs.. nice to share with friends that you don't play with frequently... All in all, it's a pretty darn good app.

Tell developers to add handicap calculations please

200 rounds is a lot! Wish I had that kind of time!

Ive found that the watch and iphone are ok tools however their primary function is communication.

The apps and apple watch dont function 100% all the time and are accurate.

Im toying with a garmin g8...its primary and only function is golf. Im hoping that works out. Albeit its $350 its also returnable to Dicks within 30 days.

I know theres sky caddie and maybe 1 or 2 others but when I use the iphone it just seems too distracting to me with the texts and calls and emails and stuff.

Lock and unlock etc etc

Free I guess you make it work

With hole19 you don't need to unlock as long as you can pull up the widgets from a locked screen

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I bought my gf an apple watch 2 with built in gps and having read this thread Im still not sure which gps app would be best for her.

It appears hole 19, golfshot plus, and swingxswing are the most favoured. The Grint appears to be good too but a bit of a battery hog. Fun Golf seems good. Its not free but not too expensive either.

Uses the watch gps

Reasonably accurate FMB distances from anywhere on the hole not just centre of fairway

Easy to read

Simple to use.

Cheers,

G

>Reasonably accurate FMB distances from anywhere on the hole not just centre of fairway

I don't think there is any Apple Watch App out there that uses Near/Centre/Far distances (as e.g. a SkyCaddy or Garmin) would. They all use fixed front/center/back positions. I have tested that with Golfshot and Hole19. E.g. you overhit your shot and you are now 30 yards behind the green. The app would tell you that you have e.g. 50 yards to the front, 40 yards to the centre and 30 to the back. If you would approach the green from the side you could end up with all front/center/back distances being pretty much the same.

The Fun Golf app only shows the center distance but it displays 'distance rings' of 10 yards on the image of the green and with that you can check front and back quite easily (I still prefer they would add the front/back distances back - they removed it in an update).

See screenshot here: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1415836-apple-watch-for-golf/page__p__14622454#entry14622454

FunGolf GPS ticks the other boxes.

Newest version of Apple Watch coming out this fall will have its own GPS.

Should NOT need to be tethered to your phone to use it with golf App's. They may need to alter the current apps or come up with new ones, but it should be much better.

GPS will obviously be more accurate and solve issue of the phone being too far from you if you're sharing a cart with someone and you've walked off 30 or 40 yards to your ball.

I've held off buying one but now may finally be the time.

You have to make sure to turn off BT on your phone or Golfshot on your AW will pull the GPS data from there.

SO if your have BT off on your phone I take it you wont have any link between the watch and your phone for text and emails and calls? Or you still will if you keep wifi on?

I use game golf seems like it drains my watch badly Im wondering if its the bluetooth connection thats killing it. Plus when Im not in range it screws up the data link

That is correct. So no BT link between the phone and watch.

When I first tried Golfshot in my AW2 I could not get it to use the AW's GPS. Apparently its fixed now but you do have to kill the BT.

For me no link back to the iPhone is a good thing. I hate getting notifications when I am golfing. Way too disruptive

Just put your watch on "Do not disturb." I do that whenever I'm playing sports while wearing the watch.

Newest version of Apple Watch coming out this fall will have its own GPS.

Should NOT need to be tethered to your phone to use it with golf App's. They may need to alter the current apps or come up with new ones, but it should be much better.

GPS will obviously be more accurate and solve issue of the phone being too far from you if you're sharing a cart with someone and you've walked off 30 or 40 yards to your ball.

I've held off buying one but now may finally be the time.

The apple watch 2 has its own gps...No idea what the new one coming out this fall will be like...Apple never reveals its new products until they are ready...

Just put your watch on "Do not disturb." I do that whenever I'm playing sports while wearing the watch.

Good tip...

Trackmygolf is excellent. Uses the watch GPS and updates yardages much faster than FunGolf. Doesn't have hazards, or course info still... been asking for a while. Can either use a standard mode to keep score or auto track. It'll record every swing automatically and allow you to edit the club etc while walking away or later in the round. Works great just irritating to delete practice swings.

Once FunGolf downloads the course to the phone at the start of the round I'll go back. Until then, it needs the iPhone to load each hole and constantly seeks the iPhone gps.

Uses the watch gps

Easy to read

Simple to use.

Cheers,

G

>Reasonably accurate FMB distances from anywhere on the hole not just centre of fairway

I don't think there is any Apple Watch App out there that uses Near/Centre/Far distances (as e.g. a SkyCaddy or Garmin) would. They all use fixed front/center/back positions. I have tested that with Golfshot and Hole19. E.g. you overhit your shot and you are now 30 yards behind the green. The app would tell you that you have e.g. 50 yards to the front, 40 yards to the centre and 30 to the back. If you would approach the green from the side you could end up with all front/center/back distances being pretty much the same.

The Fun Golf app only shows the center distance but it displays 'distance rings' of 10 yards on the image of the green and with that you can check front and back quite easily (I still prefer they would add the front/back distances back - they removed it in an update).

See screenshot here: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1415836-apple-watch-for-golf/page__p__14622454#entry14622454

FunGolf GPS ticks the other boxes.

just so you know, in your link you mentioned that you couldn't not input your score in Hole 19 and you absolutely can do that. It doesn't have the auto advance, like you mention but there is o the far left the hole. You can just drag up or down to the hole of your preference, but you don't have to enter a score.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

Hey there mizirons, thanks for being a beta-tester of the app, and thanks for the great feedback. :-)

Our course database is 100% proprietary and mapped in-house and we don't share it with anyone else. We have a dedicated team that maps new courses and updates any outdated courses on a daily basis.

Regarding GPS - Hole19 actually supports using the Apple Watch Series 2 GPS, so that you can leave the phone in your cart / bag and just use the watch's native GPS.

I have a big decision to make on this subject. I have the opportunity to get a free Bushnell NEO GPS Watch (rated well on this board and Amazon). I also perform other activities, so I was wondering if an Apple Watch could combine all the different watches I have (running, golf, etc) into one wearable device? I'm running out of outlets in my house to charge all of these devices between my wife's activities and mine.

I tried to use my phone for GPS on the course but the combination of the phone going to sleep and then messing the GPS up with the battery life never lasting through a 4.5 hour round (that's what we deal with in Florida) meant that it was more hassle than just guessing at the yardage.

Is there a golf app for the apple watch that

1. Just gives me the FMB distance to the pin and hazards without me having to cycle through menus and score tracking?

2. Works with just the AppleWatch and close proximity to the phone without having to constantly refresh the gps signal?

3. Will last through a 4.5 hour round?

P.S - I was also looking into the Garmin devices but think those are out of my price range.

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9° 

Fairway Wood: Taylormade SIM TI 15°, Titleist 917F2 18°

Irons: Ping i210 4-UW

Wedges: Titleist SM8 S-Grind 54°, 58°

Putter: Nike BC-01 33"

I have a big decision to make on this subject. I have the opportunity to get a free Bushnell NEO GPS Watch (rated well on this board and Amazon). I also perform other activities, so I was wondering if an Apple Watch could combine all the different watches I have (running, golf, etc) into one wearable device? I'm running out of outlets in my house to charge all of these devices between my wife's activities and mine.

I tried to use my phone for GPS on the course but the combination of the phone going to sleep and then messing the GPS up with the battery life never lasting through a 4.5 hour round (that's what we deal with in Florida) meant that it was more hassle than just guessing at the yardage.

1. Just gives me the FMB distance to the pin and hazards without me having to cycle through menus and score tracking?

2. Works with just the AppleWatch and close proximity to the phone without having to constantly refresh the gps signal?

P.S - I was also looking into the Garmin devices but think those are out of my price range.

do you have the series 0 or 2? i haven't used my AW while golfing in a while but i strictly use GolfShot GPS for my golf GPS on my iPhone. i have the S0 42mm SS AW so no built in GPS in my AW and the readings i was getting was from wherever the phone was meaning i couldn't leave my phone in the cart and get an accurate distance from where i was. though many times i just put my iPhone in my back pocket and used my AW. given that i still love the app. I don't have issues with my iPhone or AW not lasting the whole round as long as it's charged fully before hand with the GolfShot app (even some light browsing while we wait on the group in front of us).

check out their video tutorial with the AW.

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

Sounds like you don't currently have an AW. so if you purchased new, you'd be getting a series 2 with the built in GPS.

I've used hole19 for 36 holes with lots of battery life left multiple times. You open the app on the phone, and for me, it auto opens on the aw. from there you can if you choose, shut down the Bluetooth connection and just run off the aw gps.

1. Just gives me the FMB distance to the pin and hazards without me having to cycle through menus and score tracking? h19 will give you f/m/b but no hazards. you'll need to use the map on the phone to figure that out unfortunately - I wish they would give hazards but fmb is typically enough for me. you can cycle to the next hole without stat tracking if you wish.

2. Works with just the AppleWatch and close proximity to the phone without having to constantly refresh the gps signal? as explained above you don't have to have the series 2 aw connected to get the distances - although it's faster if it is connected to the phone

3. Will last through a 4.5 hour round? I think I've had 40% left after using the watch for golf and other functions on course. and that's the lowest I've seen it go.

I don't know about golfshot - but h19 is free. there is a premium (paid version) but for normal functionality there is no charge. the paid version sounds like it gives you more stats.

btw: you can use the aw for many other activities as you may or may not know. it's got a heart rate monitor (I can't speak on the accuracy) but it will be helpful for you to know that while running. if you run with music, you can actually load music onto the watch and run without your phone with music, track your run, and make sure you're in your target heart bpm range. lots of uses. I love my aw and use it all the time.

btw: you can use the aw for many other activities as you may or may not know. it's got a heart rate monitor (I can't speak on the accuracy) but it will be helpful for you to know that while running. if you run with music, you can actually load music onto the watch and run without your phone with music, track your run, and make sure you're in your target heart bpm range. lots of uses. I love my aw and use it all the time.

This is one of the big reasons I would want the Apple Watch. Running is probably a equal or bigger part of my activities as golf is. My current cheap garmin has none of these features so if I wanted to upgrade watches, I figure why not get a watch that fits both my needs. Right now I have to carry a separate device to listen to music, or just use my bulky phone while running which is not my cup of tea. The only thing holding me back from going the Apple Watch route is that when I try and use my regular phone apps for golf gps, it just sucks overall. Most of the apps I encounter just have too much. I did appreciate Swing x Swings unofficial handicap calculator and tracking of stats, but the app can't get through 3 holes without freezing and just becoming useless.

This weekend I'm going to try the golfshot free app, see how I like it and maybe make a decision from there.

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9° 

Fairway Wood: Taylormade SIM TI 15°, Titleist 917F2 18°

Irons: Ping i210 4-UW

Wedges: Titleist SM8 S-Grind 54°, 58°

Putter: Nike BC-01 33"

here's the pro vs free features for golfshot. i have the paid version and really like it.

golfshotaw.png

golfshot.png

915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S

• 4 weeks later...

Hey there mizirons, thanks for being a beta-tester of the app, and thanks for the great feedback. :-)

Our course database is 100% proprietary and mapped in-house and we don't share it with anyone else. We have a dedicated team that maps new courses and updates any outdated courses on a daily basis.

Regarding GPS - Hole19 actually supports using the Apple Watch Series 2 GPS, so that you can leave the phone in your cart / bag and just use the watch's native GPS.

I have about 12 rounds in now with Hole 19 and I like the majority of features and how it works. I have noticed that when turning off Bluetooth and using the AW gps, it takes a little longer to settle on the distance vs the phone. I have also had a 2-3 yard difference on the watch vs the phone. I assume this is more related to the AW gps vs the app. Overall however, I really like the combination, mostly because the alternative would be having another device to charge and worry about.

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 
Irons - Callaway Apex MB 6-A
Wedges - Maltby 54 60 TSW DRM
Putters - L.A.B Blad.1 and L.A.B. DF 2.1 Long
Titleist Yellow ProV1x / AVX 

• 2 weeks later...

here's the pro vs free features for golfshot. i have the paid version and really like it.

Do you have the problem with Golfshot taking too long to reestablish the GPS signal to give you yardages? I have to wait sometimes 30 seconds or more for it to refresh after coming to my ball. I wish there was someway to keep it always locked into the GPS signal.

Do you have the problem with Golfshot taking too long to reestablish the GPS signal to give you yardages? I have to wait sometimes 30 seconds or more for it to refresh after coming to my ball. I wish there was someway to keep it always locked into the GPS signal.

you may have the GPS setting on the app OFF. check your settings on the app and on your iPhone. on the app in settings under background GPS - mine is always on. in the phone settings i have location on "while using" and background app refresh checked ON. i've never had issues with yardage not showing up quickly.

915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S

you may have the GPS setting on the app OFF. check your settings on the app and on your iPhone. on the app in settings under background GPS - mine is always on. in the phone settings i have location on "while using" and background app refresh checked ON. i've never had issues with yardage not showing up quickly.

I tried your recommendations but still had the same issue. Do you turn off Bluetooth and use the Series 2 GPS?

I tried your recommendations but still had the same issue. Do you turn off Bluetooth and use the Series 2 GPS?

no - i have the series 0.

915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S

no - i have the series 0.

That maybe the difference - I will try keeping Bluetooth on and only rely on the watch GPS when I venture away from the cart.

That maybe the difference - I will try keeping Bluetooth on and only rely on the watch GPS when I venture away from the cart.

per Golfshot - you're supposed to turn OFF the bluetooth from your iPhone but leave it ON your AW so it uses your AW GPS while walking to your ball and not your iPhone.

https://golfshotgps.com/support#ios/category/apple-watch

915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S