SuperSpeed Golf training system

35 minutes ago, Nels55 said:

My understanding is that the idea is to build strength in the muscles that slow the club down.Β  The brain will not allow the club to be swung faster then it can be safely stopped.

It should be noted, the par4success guys pretty much found no benefit to be gained by off-handed swimming.

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

13 hours ago, stryper said:

It should be noted, the par4success guys pretty much found no benefit to be gained by off-handed swimming.

I never did the off-handed training and still don't.Β  I will say that I have done a ton of core and rotational work in the gym on both sides of the body for quite some time so I figured I'd be fine without the left handed swings.Β  I think i've reached my ceiling with speed training which is fine.Β  I still do it about twice a week just to maintain what I gained and I only do my favorite drills.Β Β 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, stryper said:

Β 

And Sasho says it's pointless, too.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski |Β Erie, PA

GEARS β€’ GCQuad MAX/FlightScope β€’ SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits:Β 26.Β #FeelAintReal

Β 

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." β€” Pat Campbell

Well, I met a real guru (as opposed to the fake ones) a number of years ago and he told me to make sure to do left handed swings along with my normal practice.Β  I have tried to do at least a few off handed swings when I practice ever since then.Β  Also I have a left handed set of clubs and have played a couple of rounds form that side.Β  I have a sort of passable swing from the wrong side and I do carry a left handed 6 iron which has bailed me out a few times.Β 

Β 

Anyway the guru's advice should obviously trump any science or whatever that is on the internet don't you think?

Edited by Nels55

4 hours ago, Nels55 said:

Well, I met a real guru (as opposed to the fake ones) a number of years ago and he told me to make sure to do left handed swings along with my normal practice.Β  I have tried to do at least a few off handed swings when I practice ever since then.Β  Also I have a left handed set of clubs and have played a couple of rounds form that side.Β  I have a sort of passable swing from the wrong side and I do carry a left handed 6 iron which has bailed me out a few times.Β 

Β 

Anyway the guru's advice should obviously trump any science or whatever that is on the internet don't you think?

Show us your guru, or it didn’t happen….

• Haha 1

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2024 at 8:27 PM, FormerBigDaddy said:

I never did the off-handed training and still don't.Β  I will say that I have done a ton of core and rotational work in the gym on both sides of the body for quite some time so I figured I'd be fine without the left handed swings.Β  I think i've reached my ceiling with speed training which is fine.Β  I still do it about twice a week just to maintain what I gained and I only do my favorite drills.Β Β 

Did you replace the left handed swings with more right handed swings or just did fewer swings?

Β 

I felt some discomfort in my right wrist doing the left handed swings and would like to skip them for when i start swinging the sticks again.

On 2/4/2024 at 2:46 PM, Golfygolf said:

Did you replace the left handed swings with more right handed swings or just did fewer swings?

Β 

I felt some discomfort in my right wrist doing the left handed swings and would like to skip them for when i start swinging the sticks again.

Β 

I do 4 swings per set, 4 extra swings with driver without ball at the end, and I finish with 4 swings hitting a ball into a net.Β  So yes, technically I replaced my non dominant swings with about 20 more swings from the right side.Β  Sometimes I get my fastest swing on that 4th swing of a set, but never the 5th.Β  So in my routine i do 56 total swings.Β  I did 3 swings for a long time but evolved to 4 a while back.Β  I also take 45 seconds of rest after EVERY set instead of rapid fire until longer rest before red stick set.Β  Everything I've read says more rest is better, however I do feel like there is a fine line to rest and maintaining rhythm.Β  45 seconds between every 4 swings works well for me.Β  I think when you do the speed training long enough you start to figure out how to be fast in the very first set but still have enough in the tank to be fast on the last swing of the day.Β  That's basically been the goal for me in fine tuning my program.Β  Sometimes I hit my max on my first set of green but usually I'll get 1-2 mph faster on the very last set of green.Β  I also do a good 12 min warm up before taking any swings to get the blood pumping and loose to be primed for my first set.Β  I pretty much followed the 6 month program as written (without non-dominate swings) and evolved into what I do now after I finished the last level of the program.Β  6 months gave me reference and experience to tweak things to where I am now.Β  It took a couple of months or experimentation to get the program where I have it now.Β  I'm still seeing progress (slowly) but more consistency.Β Β 

@FormerBigDaddyΒ as a 40 year old dude, I was inspiredΒ by your journey so I started my own 3 weeks ago. I'm doing the basic superspeed protocol 2 times a week. once a week a full body gym workout and 2 times swing resistance exercises at home with several elastic bands. Besides that I practice 1 or 2 times at home with skytrak and hit the course to practice on Fridays and I play 36 holes on weekends. I'm currently at 0.5 index and I'm really working towards getting to +2..+3 to compete on am competitions.

I started with the purchase of the PRGR and as speed sticks I'm using a shaft for light weight, a 43 inch driver for normal weight and a normal 3 wood for heavy weight.

At the beginning of every speed session I stretch for 10 minutes and warm up for 2 or 3 minutes. At the end of every speed session I swing 5 times backwards with the short driver and keep the fastest one and the same swinging normal.

This is my progress spread sheet, where back are my reversed swngs, club is the speed of my normal swings and total the sum of both.Β 

Β 

Date Type Conditions Club Grip Back Club Tot
6 Feb Speed No Ball Titleist 42.75 102 113 215
2 Feb Speed No Ball Titleist 42.75 102 110 212
30 Jan Speed No Ball Titleist 42.75 102 113 215
26 Jan Speed No Ball Titleist 42.75 99 111 210
24 Jan Speed No Ball Titleist 42.75 100 110 210
10 Jan Speed No Ball Titleist 42.75 97 110 207

Β 

For the record, my average baseline with Driver (44.5 inch) at the course started 1 month ago at 106 club speed and 154 ball speed. My goal is to at least get to 110 club / 160 ball after 2/3 months. 115 club / 167 ball would be mind-blowing and a huge change for my game but a little too much to ask I think. Of course the idea is to keep training after this period to keep the gains and maybe scratch a couple more miles.Β 
Β 

• 1 month later...
On 2/7/2024 at 1:18 PM, p1n1983 said:

@FormerBigDaddyΒ as a 40 year old dude, I was inspiredΒ by your journey so I started my own 3 weeks ago. I'm doing the basic superspeed protocol 2 times a week. once a week a full body gym workout and 2 times swing resistance exercises at home with several elastic bands. Besides that I practice 1 or 2 times at home with skytrak and hit the course to practice on Fridays and I play 36 holes on weekends. I'm currently at 0.5 index and I'm really working towards getting to +2..+3 to compete on am competitions.

I started with the purchase of the PRGR and as speed sticks I'm using a shaft for light weight, a 43 inch driver for normal weight and a normal 3 wood for heavy weight.

At the beginning of every speed session I stretch for 10 minutes and warm up for 2 or 3 minutes. At the end of every speed session I swing 5 times backwards with the short driver and keep the fastest one and the same swinging normal.

This is my progress spread sheet, where back are my reversed swngs, club is the speed of my normal swings and total the sum of both.Β 

Β 

Date Type Conditions Club Grip Back Club Tot
6 Feb Speed No Ball Titleist 42.75 102 113 215
2 Feb Speed No Ball Titleist 42.75 102 110 212
30 Jan Speed No Ball Titleist 42.75 102 113 215
26 Jan Speed No Ball Titleist 42.75 99 111 210
24 Jan Speed No Ball Titleist 42.75 100 110 210
10 Jan Speed No Ball Titleist 42.75 97 110 207

Β 

For the record, my average baseline with Driver (44.5 inch) at the course started 1 month ago at 106 club speed and 154 ball speed. My goal is to at least get to 110 club / 160 ball after 2/3 months. 115 club / 167 ball would be mind-blowing and a huge change for my game but a little too much to ask I think. Of course the idea is to keep training after this period to keep the gains and maybe scratch a couple more miles.Β 
Β 

Keep at it!Β  I've been doing it now for about 14 months and today will be my 132nd session.Β  I only do it twice a week now and only do my favorite drills.Β  I find what I'm doing now to fit my schedule best while also getting in 2-3 lifts a week.Β  But even now, I'm still finding new things here and there to help with consistency.Β  I've settled in at 130 green, 125 blue, and 120 red.Β  Sometimes +1/-1 depending on how I'm feeling.Β  I average about 111-112 hitting a ball at the end.Β  That's really the challenge for me at this point.Β  I can dry swing my driver up to 123ish so trying to close the gap between ball/no ball is my challenge.Β  I think there's room to grow there. Last year I did a driver fitting on my club's range and averared 110 and I feel I am slightly faster this year.Β  Honestly it's a lot of fun and I don't see me ever stopping.Β  This summer I might do some experimenting with the volume and see how much I need to maintain.Β  I will say that my sessions still take it out of me... but that's probably b/c I end up going for almost an hour b/c I'll go down the rabbit hole hitting balls after I finish my last set on the sticks.Β 

Β 

Β 

Edited by FormerBigDaddy

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/23/2024 at 8:38 PM, stryper said:

Β 

I feel the left handed swings are valuable to me.Β  They make me more aware of specific movements, in addition to increasing flexibility and strength in my opinion.Β  I can't quantify or prove this as I've never omitted them - but for me they provide value.Β Β 

Β 

On 4/5/2024 at 12:14 PM, LeoLeo99 said:

Has anyone made gains after completing Level 1?Β  I've been plateaued for a few weeks now completing Level 1 and into Level 2 after huge gains my first few weeks in Level 1.Β  Β Any gym exercises recommended in conjunction with Superspeed training?

Β 

I did my first time around, but I only got a few workouts in.Β  Doing the knee swings provided upper body rotational awareness which translated to quite a bit more speed.Β  It also scared the heck out of my as I felt a little twinge in my lower back.Β  πŸ˜•

Β 

OG Stealth Graphite Design Ventus Blue TR 60X

Ping 425 Max Hotmelted Tensei Orange 1k

Titleist T100, Project X LS 6.5

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8Β 55.13D / SM9 60.08M

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

4 minutes ago, MysteryV said:

Β 

I feel the left handed swings are valuable to me.Β  They make me more aware of specific movements, in addition to increasing flexibility and strength in my opinion.Β  I can't quantify or prove this as I've never omitted them - but for me they provide value.Β Β 

Β 

Β 

I did my first time around, but I only got a few workouts in.Β  Doing the knee swings provided upper body rotational awareness which translated to quite a bit more speed.Β  It also scared the heck out of my as I felt a little twinge in my lower back.Β  πŸ˜•

Β 

I loved the system for months after I bought it. Increased club head speed and overall game with better conditioning and strength. However, one day my lead wrist started to hurt and click, and I learned I had a TFCC tear. Same injury which ended Trevor Immelman’s golf playing days. Β I’m 70 years old, which is a factor. But no question the search for distance overwhelmed an old wrist. I think the heavy red club can cause issues for those with predisposition to injury. Β 

17 minutes ago, hackerboy said:

I loved the system for months after I bought it. Increased club head speed and overall game with better conditioning and strength. However, one day my lead wrist started to hurt and click, and I learned I had a TFCC tear. Same injury which ended Trevor Immelman’s golf playing days. Β I’m 70 years old, which is a factor. But no question the search for distance overwhelmed an old wrist. I think the heavy red club can cause issues for those with predisposition to injury. Β 

Β 

Agreed.Β  I think doing anything at max effort physically can lead to injury - particularly once you've entered your 40s or older.Β  Superspeed certainly comes with risk which should not be ignored.

Β 

That said, I finally broke through my 132 mph mental block today and got the green up to 146 - so at the moment, I'm pretty pleased.Β  πŸ˜„.Β 

Β 

I think one of the overlooked / underreported values to super speed is that it makes you look for new places to get power.Β  While I've always been good at using the ground vertically (coming from a basketball, volleyball, skateboarding background), I can often forget to use ground torque (Jake Hutt is big on this one).Β  When analyzing some on course video as I try to come back from injury - I realized I was getting really lazy with the trail side, and extending it too early.Β  For the last week or so I've been using ground torque to sync up timing a bit - and BOOM - combined with a longer BS - another 14 mph of green stick speed!Β Β 

Β 

My goal is to get to 118 as my cruising speed (naturally I cruise at 110 ish), and get 180+ ball speed on max swings as measured by my PRGR (as the Top Tracer Range stuff can't be trusted).

Β 

At the end of the day, Superspeed works, but again, certainly not without risk.

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

46 minutes ago, MysteryV said:

Β 

Agreed.Β  I think doing anything at max effort physically can lead to injury - particularly once you've entered your 40s or older.Β  Superspeed certainly comes with risk which should not be ignored.

Β 

That said, I finally broke through my 132 mph mental block today and got the green up to 146 - so at the moment, I'm pretty pleased.Β  πŸ˜„.Β 

Β 

I think one of the overlooked / underreported values to super speed is that it makes you look for new places to get power.Β  While I've always been good at using the ground vertically (coming from a basketball, volleyball, skateboarding background), I can often forget to use ground torque (Jake Hutt is big on this one).Β  When analyzing some on course video as I try to come back from injury - I realized I was getting really lazy with the trail side, and extending it too early.Β  For the last week or so I've been using ground torque to sync up timing a bit - and BOOM - combined with a longer BS - another 14 mph of green stick speed!Β Β 

Β 

My goal is to get to 118 as my cruising speed (naturally I cruise at 110 ish), and get 180+ ball speed on max swings as measured by my PRGR (as the Top Tracer Range stuff can't be trusted).

Β 

At the end of the day, Superspeed works, but again, certainly not without risk.

Wow. Nice numbers. Good job.Β 

11 minutes ago, hackerboy said:

Wow. Nice numbers. Good job.Β 

Β 

Thanks.Β  Obviously in the grand scheme of things, I'm not particularly quick, but I'm improving versus myself, which is part of what I enjoy about this cruel, horrible, wonderful game πŸ˜„Β 

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

I did about 30 sessions last year and completed my first full week now. My swing speed is about 92 mph and my goal this year is 100 mph. I bought the PRGR this year so i am not sure about my swing speed last year but when i tried a few shots with a 3W my swing speed was about 94-96 mph(trackman) so hopefully 100 mph will be possible.

Β 

I have noticed that i don't really get the speed at the bottom, there is alot to learn!Β 

Β 

Does anyone know what speed i should have to reach 100 mph with driver?Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

15.4.24 SS.jpg

Edited by Golfygolf

On 4/5/2024 at 3:14 PM, LeoLeo99 said:

Has anyone made gains after completing Level 1?Β  I've been plateaued for a few weeks now completing Level 1 and into Level 2 after huge gains my first few weeks in Level 1.Β  Β Any gym exercises recommended in conjunction with Superspeed training?

Β 

Absolutely.Β  I noticed a pretty quick boost in the first couple of levels and then it stalled for awhile before making more gains.Β  One thing I really noticed is even after a year of training, is that my consistency in my numbers got much better.Β  These days my top speeds are always within about 1 mph from session to session.Β  I really feel like speed training is like lifting weights.Β  WHen you first start you see a lot of gains due to your CNS adapting.Β  But then it levels out and it takes hard work and time to see smaller gains over time.

Β 

Β 

On 4/9/2024 at 1:29 PM, kiawah said:

Has anyone else found it hard to go back to playing normally after doing SS? I feel like I'm swinging way too up on the ball and my clubface awareness is wonky after using SS. Made me want to stop altogether since those extra few yards are pretty meaningless if I can't hit the red side of a barn

Β 

You need to incorporate more max speed swings hitting balls.Β  About a month or so after I started protocols I started hitting balls into a net at the end of my sessions.Β  Once I finished the protocols I actually subbed the blue stick out for my driver for awhile just to get a feel for swinging at max speed (without hitting a ball) with a clubface.Β  Which does feel different to me.Β  More driver swings really helped me break through that wall and blend the to swings together.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Golfygolf said:

I did about 30 sessions last year and completed my first full week now. My swing speed is about 92 mph and my goal this year is 100 mph. I bought the PRGR this year so i am not sure about my swing speed last year but when i tried a few shots with a 3W my swing speed was about 94-96 mph(trackman) so hopefully 100 mph would be possible.

Β 

I have noticed that i don't really get the speed at the bottom, there is alot to learn!Β 

Β 

Does anyone know what speed i should have to reach 100 mph with driver?Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

15.4.24 SS.jpg

Β 

Β 

I'm of the belief that there is no direct, linear correlation between green speed and driver speed.Β  I've heard folks claim that swinging the green stick 120 translates into 100mph driver speed because the green is 20% lighter than a standard driver, but I don't believe that to be true.Β  If I were to make that arguement - I'd also go with 125mph green because 100/.8 = 125 rather than 1.2*100 - but again, I don't really think it works like that.

Β 

That said, it looks like you can get your driver up to 100, so maybe mix in some sessions of swinging out of your shoes on the range?\

Β 

Also - just to completely backtrack on everything I said above - if you can get the green to 120 - you should be fine.Β  πŸ˜„

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

12 minutes ago, MysteryV said:

Β 

Β 

I'm of the belief that there is no direct, linear correlation between green speed and driver speed.Β  I've heard folks claim that swinging the green stick 120 translates into 100mph driver speed because the green is 20% lighter than a standard driver, but I don't believe that to be true.Β  If I were to make that arguement - I'd also go with 125mph green because 100/.8 = 125 rather than 1.2*100 - but again, I don't really think it works like that.

Β 

That said, it looks like you can get your driver up to 100, so maybe mix in some sessions of swinging out of your shoes on the range?\

Β 

Also - just to completely backtrack on everything I said above - if you can get the green to 120 - you should be fine.Β  πŸ˜„

Β 

I agree, that sounds off. I would be at around 80mph with the driver since i swing around 100mph with green(100*0,8 =80mph). I have slow speed but not 80 mph.

Β 

I will absolutely go to the range with the PRGR and do some max out session, i also noticed last year that i could be very off in my golf swing if i went to the course after a session and didn't go the range before going out and play.

Β 

Green at 120 seems impossible considering where i am now but who knows.

Edited by Golfygolf

31 minutes ago, Golfygolf said:

Β 

I agree, that sounds off. I would be at around 80mph with the driver since i swing around 100mph with green(100*0,8 =80mph). I have slow speed but not 80 mph.

Β 

I will absolutely go to the range with the PRGR and do some max out session, i also noticed last year that i could be very off in my golf swing if i went to the course after a session and didn't go the range before going out and play.

Β 

Green at 120 seems impossible considering where i am now but who knows.

Β 

Again - my opinion here - but don't be afraid to swing the green sticks with a focus on SPEED.Β  It doesn't have to be a pretty golf swing.Β  The value (again - opinion) comes from getting your central nervous system operating faster.Β 

Β 

You can only go so fast on a dirt road with tons of pot holes.Β  If you want to go faster - first you fill in the holes, then maybe you add gravel, and eventually you smooth and pave for max speed.

Β 

Test out the different feelings that folks talk about for speed - stepping, stomping, squatting, jumping, torquing the ground, loading the spiral line, getting tall, throwing the club, casting the club, releasing the angles, ripping your left shoulder through, etc.Β  There are a ton of different ways to recruit power and part of the training is to start to understand and feel those new power sources.

• Like 1

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

On 3/11/2024 at 3:45 PM, FormerBigDaddy said:

Keep at it!Β  I've been doing it now for about 14 months and today will be my 132nd session.Β  I only do it twice a week now and only do my favorite drills.Β  I find what I'm doing now to fit my schedule best while also getting in 2-3 lifts a week.Β  But even now, I'm still finding new things here and there to help with consistency.Β  I've settled in at 130 green, 125 blue, and 120 red.Β  Sometimes +1/-1 depending on how I'm feeling.Β  I average about 111-112 hitting a ball at the end.Β  That's really the challenge for me at this point.Β  I can dry swing my driver up to 123ish so trying to close the gap between ball/no ball is my challenge.Β  I think there's room to grow there. Last year I did a driver fitting on my club's range and averared 110 and I feel I am slightly faster this year.Β  Honestly it's a lot of fun and I don't see me ever stopping.Β  This summer I might do some experimenting with the volume and see how much I need to maintain.Β  I will say that my sessions still take it out of me... but that's probably b/c I end up going for almost an hour b/c I'll go down the rabbit hole hitting balls after I finish my last set on the sticks.Β 

Β 

Β 

Thanks for the support and the details. Unfortunately around 1 month and a half in, I started with back pain that only decreased when I stopped speedtrainning. I will keep looking for speed but only with improved technique.Β 

Β 

On 4/10/2024 at 10:07 PM, MysteryV said:

Sad but true!!Β 

12 minutes ago, p1n1983 said:

Thanks for the support and the details. Unfortunately around 1 month and a half in, I started with back pain that only decreased when I stopped speedtrainning. I will keep looking for speed but only with improved technique.Β 

Β 

Sad but true!!Β 

Sorry to hear that.Β  If you haven't already, it would be worth considering starting a training program in the gym and work on some mobility/flexibility.Β  Strengthening your core/back along with everything else will really help your body handle the stress of speed training better. I can definitely see how speed training could lead to injury if your body isn't able to handle the load.Β  I still get a bit sore after speed training at times but it's usually not in a hurt/injury way if that makes sense.