SuperSpeed Golf training system

1 hour ago, dcmidnight said:

So as a getting-older guy, I cant encourage this enough. I'm using another system but one of the reasons, well two, are what you pointed out. Getting older, not swinging for months at a time in the winter. Cant encourage you enough to give it a shot especially if it gets you off the couch.

Thanks DC. I’ve looked in on this thread a couple of times but never real closely. I’m just hoping to see if the results have been worth the cost for any of more “experienced” players! I agree 100%, doing anything is beneficial, I just don’t want to shell out the money if it’s not realistic to pick up 4 or 5 mph in clubspeed. 

23 minutes ago, deadsolid...shank said:

Thanks DC. I’ve looked in on this thread a couple of times but never real closely. I’m just hoping to see if the results have been worth the cost for any of more “experienced” players! I agree 100%, doing anything is beneficial, I just don’t want to shell out the money if it’s not realistic to pick up 4 or 5 mph in clubspeed. 

You will pick up the 4 to 5 for sure. The problem is if you dont stay with system those gains will eventually go away...

• Like 2

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

2024 TP5X (as of now)

WOWWWW… didn’t expect to be sharing anything noteworthy for awhile but I took another big jump today and hit a milestone. 130 on green.

Im pretty confident in saying that I think doing the kneeling swings have really helped me. I’ve noticed a lot more consistency in speeds and the jumps are hard to deny. I did feel like arm speed was probably a weak point for me and if anyone else feels that way I would definitely suggest added the kneeling swings. 

So pumped right now… didn’t think I’d touch 130 for another month or so. 

C0717B78-1568-4C4E-BC58-6984DD4C42A4.jpeg

46 minutes ago, DLiver said:

AMG recommends kneeling swings as a way to increase CHS.

Yeah they’ve had a pretty dramatic impact in my training. First few weeks they felt so terrible I wanted to quit. But like everything else I got better and more comfortable. Now I feel a nice groove where I can really swing them pretty hard. I know they took kneeling swings out of the protocols/levels at some point but I think they could be really valuable to people like me who felt like body swingers and were passive with arms. 

8 hours ago, FormerBigDaddy said:

WOWWWW… didn’t expect to be sharing anything noteworthy for awhile but I took another big jump today and hit a milestone. 130 on green.

Im pretty confident in saying that I think doing the kneeling swings have really helped me. I’ve noticed a lot more consistency in speeds and the jumps are hard to deny. I did feel like arm speed was probably a weak point for me and if anyone else feels that way I would definitely suggest added the kneeling swings. 

C0717B78-1568-4C4E-BC58-6984DD4C42A4.jpeg

The 5mph+ jump in red/blue in two sessions is very notable.  I had jumps like that too (most of my gains were in two different jumps).  I could be wrong, but I expect you will plateau for a while.  Don't get discouraged.  I guarantee if you test you will be at 114-115+ with a ball pretty easy now.  Make sure you do some all out swings at the range with a ball here and there, you don't have to take the same intent necessarily to the course.

3 hours ago, jestein1679 said:

The 5mph+ jump in red/blue in two sessions is very notable.  I had jumps like that too (most of my gains were in two different jumps).  I could be wrong, but I expect you will plateau for a while.  Don't get discouraged.  I guarantee if you test you will be at 114-115+ with a ball pretty easy now.  Make sure you do some all out swings at the range with a ball here and there, you don't have to take the same intent necessarily to the course.

Yeah, honestly I was expecting a plateau to start after each of my last couple of sessions. I know it’s coming and it’s part of the process. I’m pretty committed to seeing this through for the long haul but I have a planned week off in early April where I’ll be out of town so I’m going to be going as hard as possible up to that week. After that still planning to finish all levels before summer. Never thought 115 on course could be possible but now I think it is. I’ve also been grinding hard in the gym and I think some of the golf specific things I’m doing are paying off. The speed training is only part of the work I’m putting in. I added in some of the golf exercises at the end of last August and I feel much stronger in my core and hips.

Picking up 25 yds and seeing some consistent 300 yd drives this summer at 40 years old is a huge motivator. Need to show some of these younger guys I play with what’s up. 

Personality wise I’m very much a routine oriented person and when I find something that works I stick with it. Looking forward to making some in season maintenance adjustments around Memorial Day. But the gym work and speed sticks will probably never be completely put down. Just modified intensity in summer months. 

Edited by FormerBigDaddy

Seems like superspeed is getting caught/surpassed by the Stack, at least in terms of the app/product combo.  I haven't been following this stuff in a while but it looks like Superspeed's response to the stack's app is to get users to spend $200 for the blast motion sensor?  I would be buying the Stack if i didn't already have superspeed.

On 2/7/2023 at 4:27 PM, FormerBigDaddy said:

/cdn-cgi/mirage/404105cadf4a5444e772eafdc4b6c30205455c0e294657c9421d9b92becfdfed/1280/cdn-cgi/mirage/404105cadf4a5444e772eafdc4b6c30205455c0e294657c9421d9b92becfdfed/1280/https://wrxcdn.golfwrx.com/uploads/monthly_2023_02/C0717B78-1568-4C4E-BC58-6984DD4C42A4.jpeg.5aaf160f4f2afe5dfb15cf7fc608ed5a.jpeg

Predictably slower today. Body was feeling the effects of my lift from yesterday and wasn’t sure I was 100% recovered from tuesday’s speed session. Just gotta keep grinding!

128/123/117 today. 

Edited by FormerBigDaddy

On 2/5/2023 at 6:02 PM, deadsolid...shank said:

Without going back all through the thread, as anyone older done this? And if so, were the results good?  I was just on a simulator today and the numbers just keep decreasing (obviously right!? Duh). I haven’t swung a club for a couple of months and was sitting around 148 ball speed, topping 150 a couple of times. I would be happy just to get back into the 160 range if possible. Turning 60 this summer is why I was asking about if any of the older guys had done it. 

We worked with a golf coach in Arizona who had a large group of senior golfers, average age of 67 ish, oldest was 87. they had awesome gains of about 5% over the time training. As you are seeing as you age those speeds start a little decline due to losing some of those abilities to move fast going the very first. Very safe for a senior golfer who is cleared to play golf, just do a good warm up and make those swings. Not only will you gain speed, but you will hang onto your speed for longer. 

• Like 2

On 2/8/2023 at 3:15 AM, FormerBigDaddy said:

Yeah, honestly I was expecting a plateau to start after each of my last couple of sessions. I know it’s coming and it’s part of the process. I’m pretty committed to seeing this through for the long haul but I have a planned week off in early April where I’ll be out of town so I’m going to be going as hard as possible up to that week. After that still planning to finish all levels before summer. Never thought 115 on course could be possible but now I think it is. I’ve also been grinding hard in the gym and I think some of the golf specific things I’m doing are paying off. The speed training is only part of the work I’m putting in. I added in some of the golf exercises at the end of last August and I feel much stronger in my core and hips.

Picking up 25 yds and seeing some consistent 300 yd drives this summer at 40 years old is a huge motivator. Need to show some of these younger guys I play with what’s up. 

Personality wise I’m very much a routine oriented person and when I find something that works I stick with it. Looking forward to making some in season maintenance adjustments around Memorial Day. But the gym work and speed sticks will probably never be completely put down. Just modified intensity in summer months. 

Awesome to hear these great results, things I see everytime I do a research study in my lab. You are wise to know that this just becomes a part of your process that is a part of your golf regiment. Just like taking time to practice putting/chipping, can't just put it down when you think it is perfect, have to keep at it at least a little bit every week. The maintenance phases are a great way to get good sessions in during busy playing season and being able to retain the speed benefits you are seeing from all your hard work! Awesome job!

On 2/9/2023 at 3:38 PM, Lefty96 said:

Has anyone with slower swing speeds had any success with this system? Driver speed being around 90 or below? Im considering buying this for my father. Thank you for the help!

I've had players with lower swing speeds in my studies and have seen great results with them as well. As long as your father has been cleared to play golf and do some exercise he would be just fine. Great thing for good range of motion with the dominant and non dominant swings, will help with some balance, and honestly when I bring in my slower swingers who might not have bodies who work as well, they really enjoy the dynamic warm up for some good balance and a little body weight strength in their days. 

On 2/9/2023 at 10:13 AM, anw79 said:

Seems like superspeed is getting caught/surpassed by the Stack, at least in terms of the app/product combo.  I haven't been following this stuff in a while but it looks like Superspeed's response to the stack's app is to get users to spend $200 for the blast motion sensor?  I would be buying the Stack if i didn't already have superspeed.

The stimulus of overspeed training is so good that yes there are other products that will work out there for sure. When SuperSpeed first started they did groups of people training with various length/weight clubs and saw that this was the combination that led to the very most gains. Blast was an option for players who wanted to track their data every single day, which isn't every player. In fact when players track speed every single day it can at times start showing big gains or no gains that aren't accurate of the real gains of a player. For example, as has been pointed out in this thread, if I do a speed session after a fatiguing previous day, or bad nights sleep I might think I lost 5 mph of speed that day. Or conversely if I do some things that have enhanced my speed, more rest, better sleep, change the intent of my swing, I might think I gained 6 mph in one day, which isn't real either. This is why I always suggest players do a driver with ball session from time to time, under the exact same conditions, same warm up, similar time of day, similar fatigue level and let that be your assessment of gains. That is the true gain we care about, what can you do when you get a driver in your hands with a ball. I am also doing a study right now looking at different weight/length implements for speed training and want to see mechanically what is going on with really heavy clubs or really light clubs for ground force and kinematic sequencing.  Again all systems that train speed will work, want to make sure I am not suggesting otherwise, but just some things to think about, in fact the last data I saw on the systems showed very similar gains between players training with each system. 

5 hours ago, ezra76 said:

Nice work! Keep it going. 

I had a bounce back session today. Body felt good matched my PR 5 times in a row with green at the end (130). Also took a few driver swings into my net and hit 114mph. Absolutely thrilled. 

Lately I’ve also been tracking my heart rate bc I was curious if I was burning calories on top of all my other workouts. Makes sense recovery is key. This summery includes a warm up and probably 85 total swings including warm up and driver swings at the end. Heart rate spiked at like 130+ a few times. 

72DEFE3A-1E87-4107-BB2F-A9965453B34A.jpeg

Edited by FormerBigDaddy
  • Like 1

On 2/9/2023 at 4:38 PM, Lefty96 said:

Has anyone with slower swing speeds had any success with this system? Driver speed being around 90 or below? Im considering buying this for my father. Thank you for the help!

I am old and swing 85-90 depending on how I am feeling (non golf related neck injury)

The system has helped me a lot. I was able to get my swing speed up to 95 from 85 in 2021 but regressed in 2022 due to the neck. 

I do weight training 3-4 rimes a week and am reasonably fit. 

Consider purchasing the “senior” pack with the lighter yellow speed stick. 

Driver: Titleist  Tsi2
FW's: Callaway Rogue 4w
Hybrids: X2 Hot 3&4
Irons: Ping G410 Reg Graphite 5-UW
Wedges: Callaway MD3 56
Handicap 9
Putter: Zing2 BeCu among others

9 hours ago, deadsolid...shank said:

I think I’m going to order a set, just having trouble pulling the trigger for the complete kit with the radar. 

The radar is a must.  I really think i'd get bored without it.  Seeing your speeds in real time is a huge motivating factor and without it i'd feel like I'd just stabbing in the dark for speed.  What you think is fast isn't always fast.  I'm sure you could still get something out of it without the radar but I really think it's a key to success...  every time you set a new PR you get a shot of adrenaline and a real sense of accomplishment and it keeps me coming back.  

On another note, I hit some balls last night into my net.  Wasn't intending to get all worked up into hitting full drivers but I ended up going that direction b/c I felt good.  Couldn't get it past 111 on the driver which was interesting.  Was hanging around 109-110 which tells me to take my driver speeds at the end of a session with a grain of salt.  Looks like i have some work to do for a few months if I want to be in the 112-113 range consistently.  

Edited by FormerBigDaddy
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, FormerBigDaddy said:

The radar is a must.  I really think i'd get bored without it.  Seeing your speeds in real time is a huge motivating factor and without it i'd feel like I'd just stabbing in the dark for speed.  What you think is fast isn't always fast.  I'm sure you could still get something out of it without the radar but I really think it's a key to success...  every time you set a new PR you get a shot of adrenaline and a real sense of accomplishment and it keeps me coming back.  

On another note, I hit some balls last night into my net.  Wasn't intending to get all worked up into hitting full drivers but I ended up going that direction b/c I felt good.  Could get it past 111 on the driver which was interesting.  Was hanging around 109-110 which tells me to take my driver speeds at the end of a session with a grain of salt.  Look like i have some work to do for a few months if I want to be in the 112-113 range consistently.  

Yeah, I know you’re right on the radar. I’m just cheap. $200 doesn’t seem so bad to me, but $400 just makes me pause. I’ve been looking, hoping to maybe find an app that work. But just not having much luck. I guess I’ll have to go through the checkout process to see how much they charge to ship too. 

8 hours ago, deadsolid...shank said:

Yeah, I know you’re right on the radar. I’m just cheap. $200 doesn’t seem so bad to me, but $400 just makes me pause. I’ve been looking, hoping to maybe find an app that work. But just not having much luck. I guess I’ll have to go through the checkout process to see how much they charge to ship too. 

I do feel like the radar is very valuable for feedback. Most of the players in my studies don't have the radar for feedback, I am able to help them in the first session really understand the intent of the swings and the importance of really moving the clubs quickly. The radar really helps with that process. It is motivating and helps you to feel what fast speeds look like. I have had plenty of research participants gain speed without the use of the radar, this study group I have 5 players with a radar and 10 without, I am pairing them up based on some subject demographics (initial swing speed, physical size, golf history) to see what differences I see in the two groups. I just add this to say that if you can unlock the feel for moving these fast at the correct intensity you can have the speed gains. The radar is a tool to help in that process.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2023 at 8:31 AM, FormerBigDaddy said:

Nice work! Keep it going. 

I had a bounce back session today. Body felt good matched my PR 5 times in a row with green at the end (130). Also took a few driver swings into my net and hit 114mph. Absolutely thrilled. 

Lately I’ve also been tracking my heart rate bc I was curious if I was burning calories on top of all my other workouts. Makes sense recovery is key. This summery includes a warm up and probably 85 total swings including warm up and driver swings at the end. Heart rate spiked at like 130+ a few times. 

72DEFE3A-1E87-4107-BB2F-A9965453B34A.jpeg

this reminds me of Ryder Cup this year when they displayed the heart rate for the golfers. I get the same experience when I do my speed workouts, the heart rate jumping a bit during the swings. Recovery is so key in the process. Also recognizing that you may not have it every single day. Looking at trends over time to really assess those gains. But finding the proper ways to recover that allow you to be fresh for the speed sessions is important. Different for every player and honestly different week to week even day to day for players. 

1 hour ago, drtstandy said:

this reminds me of Ryder Cup this year when they displayed the heart rate for the golfers. I get the same experience when I do my speed workouts, the heart rate jumping a bit during the swings. Recovery is so key in the process. Also recognizing that you may not have it every single day. Looking at trends over time to really assess those gains. But finding the proper ways to recover that allow you to be fresh for the speed sessions is important. Different for every player and honestly different week to week even day to day for players. 

One thing I’ve mentioned before is that I work out in the gym pretty vigorously. Monday through Friday I’m lifting and getting it in. So 2/3 of my speed sessions a week are never rested or fresh. I guess you could say I’m recovered from the speed work bc I won’t ever do that on back to back days. With about 8 or so weeks logged I haven’t noticed it the exercise routine holding me back at all. Some days I actually feel more loose and fast when I have had a good lift the morning of, especially on more golf specific core/rotational/arm days. It’s pretty interesting stuff. Today I was wasn’t feeling it and expected to be slower. Legs were kind of dead and felt a bit tight in the upper body from morning lift. Still matched my PR on the green stick which was a bit surprising. I usually try to do my last speed session on Sunday when I have a full day of rest from lifting, some days that speed session is great and sometimes it isn’t. I haven’t found a good rhyme or reason honestly. Although I do think that I’m slower on total body lift days opposed to core/rotational/arm days. 

With all that said I'm progressing really well regardless. I do think the recovery from one speed session to the next is very important, but recovery from other activities/exercise doesn’t seem to impact my speed sessions much. 

Edited by FormerBigDaddy

On 2/14/2023 at 5:19 AM, FormerBigDaddy said:

On another note, I hit some balls last night into my net.  Wasn't intending to get all worked up into hitting full drivers but I ended up going that direction b/c I felt good.  Couldn't get it past 111 on the driver which was interesting.  Was hanging around 109-110 which tells me to take my driver speeds at the end of a session with a grain of salt.  Looks like i have some work to do for a few months if I want to be in the 112-113 range consistently.  

The radar is definitely a must.  I don’t know your exact set up but I inherently have some fear about the ball going through the net, missing the net etc. that doesn’t allow me to hit top speed like the range does.  I don’t even hit drivers into the net anymore because of it.  Your setup may eliminate those types of fears but just something to consider.

Unfortunate setback last friday morning... tweaked my back lifting and didn't get to do my last session of the week and still don't feel 100%.  Thinking I'm going to have to end up taking a full week off.  I completed 9 weeks of training hoping a week off doesn't set me back.  Prior to friday I had matched my PR 4 times out of my last 5 sessions, felt like I was getting close to breaking through.  My body probably needed a break anyways very curious to see how I bounce back.  Expecting a big dip but maybe not?

Edited by FormerBigDaddy

On 2/19/2023 at 10:06 PM, deadsolid...shank said:

I ordered mine tonight. Hope to have it by the end of the month so I can get a couple months in before the season starts. 

Does the PRGR monitor work outside hitting balls as well? Like if I take it to the range. 

I can't speak for hitting balls outside, but it gives inconsistent numbers hitting a ball into a net.  There is about a 10 foot distance between my hitting area and the net. That doesn't seem to be enough distance for it to accurately differentiate between ball and clubhead speed.  Sometimes the numbers seem reasonable, but sometimes the ball speed is unreasonably low while the clubhead speed is unreasonably high.  There isn't an "indoor" setting on it, so it's extremely likely the monitor needs more than 10 feet to give reasonable results and this post is irrelevant to you :-).

That said, it does appear to give consistent results without a ball in both indoor and outdoor settings -- a lot better than the blue SSR they used to package the SuperSpeed sticks with.  I do get an occasional misread every 20-30 swings or so, but the misreads are all under reporting the speed by a lot (like reporting 85 when every other swing in the set was over 115), so I just shrug it off and ignore the reading.  If it felt like a really fast swing, I might have a few choice words before shrugging it off, but I just remind myself that even if that was a "PR" swing, I'm still putting in the reps and should see that PR speed again in the next few sessions anyways.  The "frustration" of the mis-read isn't anywhere near worth it to me to find a more reliable unit though as I know they cost a pretty penny compared to the PRGR.

• Like 1