SuperSpeed Golf training system

On 1/11/2023 at 12:17 PM, joshsparham said:

So I have a really interesting data set, I think, working on overspeed training. 

My speed numbers are all really close across all of the different weights and ultimately with my driver.  

My max with the light stick is 117-120, 114-116 with the medium, and 108-110 with the heavy stick.   Then measuring speed with my driver it is on average around 111-113 mph.

I am not complaining this time last year I was about 106-108 with the driver.  I have kept at this 3x a week along with weight training, but have not seen gains in quite a while. 

I am also confused on why my numbers are so closely bunched. 

Have you been doing the same protocols the whole time?  Or have you been changing the protocols as suggested by SuperSpeed?

I'm going to caveat this right now with the fact that the rest of this post is speculation, so take the rest of this post with a grain of salt.

It's interesting to me that your heavy stick is slower than your driver.  Given the mechanisms by which overspeed training supposedly "works", it doesn't seem unreasonable to assume that overspeed training will allow you to adapt to swing faster if you are actually swinging faster than your "typical" swing.  When you look at the range of speeds throughout the different sticks, you are moving a club between 108-120 mph during each overspeed session with about 1/3 of those swings being slower than your driver.  It would be interesting to see what happens if you stop swinging the red stick and only focus on the green/blue sticks for now.  Your entire session (save for random outliers) will be at speeds above your driver.  Not having those lower swing speeds during your session might allow your nervous system to adapt itself towards the higher speeds and start moving your top speed up again.

That said, you should be able to swing your red club faster than your typical driver (https://superspeedgolf.com/blogs/news/how-fast-should-i-swing-my-superspeed-clubs).  Now those are averages, so I can't say for sure that it is necessarily true for everyone.  However, I think it's worth getting your swing evaluated for technical issues.  Technique is a significant piece to the speed puzzle -- even moreso than overspeed training.  A technical issue in your swing could inhibit your ability to generate speed.  That could potentially cause your speeds to cluster together like that and even prevent you from swinging the red stick faster than your driver.  Yes, overspeed training can sometimes improve one's technique, but that's certainly not the case for everyone.

Edited by SirFuego

35 minutes ago, SirFuego said:

Have you been doing the same protocols the whole time?  Or have you been changing the protocols as suggested by SuperSpeed?

I'm going to caveat this right now with the fact that the rest of this post is speculation, so take the rest of this post with a grain of salt.

It's interesting to me that your heavy stick is slower than your driver.  Given the mechanisms by which overspeed training supposedly "works", it doesn't seem unreasonable to assume that overspeed training will allow you to adapt to swing faster if you are actually swinging faster than your "typical" swing.  When you look at the range of speeds throughout the different sticks, you are moving a club between 108-120 mph during each overspeed session with about 1/3 of those swings being slower than your driver.  It would be interesting to see what happens if you stop swinging the red stick and only focus on the green/blue sticks for now.  Your entire session (save for random outliers) will be at speeds above your driver.  Not having those lower swing speeds during your session might allow your nervous system to adapt itself towards the higher speeds and start moving your top speed up again.

That said, you should be able to swing your red club faster than your typical driver (https://superspeedgolf.com/blogs/news/how-fast-should-i-swing-my-superspeed-clubs).  Now those are averages, so I can't say for sure that it is necessarily true for everyone.  However, I think it's worth getting your swing evaluated for technical issues.  Technique is a significant piece to the speed puzzle -- even moreso than overspeed training.  A technical issue in your swing could inhibit your ability to generate speed.  That could potentially cause your speeds to cluster together like that and even prevent you from swinging the red stick faster than your driver.  Yes, overspeed training can sometimes improve one's technique, but that's certainly not the case for everyone.

When you look at his data it doesn't really seem that far off from the speed gaps on the SSG page.  He posted a range of speeds for each but if you take the average of each there is about a 4 mph difference between sticks which seems normal?  That's about where I am as well.  usually about a 4-5 difference in my max's.  I really do think that there is a ton of trial and error with these sticks.  Experimenting to find what generates speed and what doesn't.  That can create some weird numbers and gaps here and there as well.  I think anyone doing this should do it for at least 5 weeks but probably longer to find the groove of what produces speed and what doesnt.

16 minutes ago, FormerBigDaddy said:

When you look at his data it doesn't really seem that far off from the speed gaps on the SSG page.  He posted a range of speeds for each but if you take the average of each there is about a 4 mph difference between sticks which seems normal?  That's about where I am as well.  usually about a 4-5 difference in my max's.  I really do think that there is a ton of trial and error with these sticks.  Experimenting to find what generates speed and what doesn't.  That can create some weird numbers and gaps here and there as well.  I think anyone doing this should do it for at least 5 weeks but probably longer to find the groove of what produces speed and what doesnt.

Without any sort of standard deviations, we have no way to know how "typical" those numbers are.  That said, re-reading the link, the numbers are supposed to be what to expect when STARTING the program, so I would expect there to be a pretty wide standard deviation in the numbers as the first few weeks are going to be getting acclimated.  It sounds like he has been at the overspeed training a while, so there isn't any data for us to say for sure how those numbers typically evolve over time.

I agree that experimentation is certainly a good approach, especially since you have immediate feedback for each swing.  One of the advantages to not hitting a ball is that you can experiment without worrying about hitting/shanking a ball.  Honestly, if you don't experiment or try to change it up over time, I could see the body not having enough stimulus to make any meaningful changes once you've used up those "newbie gains".  I have personally found that the "hands" can only generate so much speed, so speed (for me at least) is generated through the sequencing of my body.  Anything that improved my sequencing would improve my speed -- and thankfully improved sequencing translates well to the actual swing.

On 1/14/2023 at 4:39 PM, TomBomb51 said:

Just wanted to share my success with the Super Speed system. I can push it to about 117mph now which I never thought I'd ever be close to

Before:

hHdjPCoA7gz87np_2NgEIP_mkRTANkIX7wwWL4Ydpc9h77kbSN9e4_XcUA-Kzsc5GCaQQOd0ZtsKsBQXAVGGV8_ztPw9RCPF_Hl8x2EXEKV9jnvlVQwJJzQ6qvMWcsqmjXrQqJI2IcmOeOXvMrAejg6W_T6Buvp4vMX30Ewp_uz0bvScAy-_VjPP5qfbQIj4ZPiT5tjaBL49MatBw-h-CS_GrAHDJhvo1OF0uzfK8SpwG6ev1qkPbimSEXqd8Jf_71fCipMrJkdfxwR-3rPqkPWaNxdRPgjq8Na13WkeSEP4Uef2wr0wpKwJ8B4o-QHiMcA-pumoaNuJBR1Hw8q6b1lC8iPS6ri1JiOsps2T21gjRh0w7v1GT6X-858lM2AYEpX5wQmYvDYQ1qosouhyRjTHtuSwHKF4fiIQ-QdCpG6qKvg8BjEXXWqxpqPymU3NTEfvuDL90Z83weS_LALu3LWrDRfJcgdLqVJ_7YqapLtdN9g1MaSiorJ-FZTTo9U3nICChbizwDS_MkShZHGFD5I6fxLBDcVN04sGf28PpZr9nAk7TrIQCSzCxjD0S0BiTjfvh5JJlKvjSxT1IRjcMiFuSm9gP1dy2BcuXeD5pYjt_-N24Jlm3wq8Eq3jpFc1J8AhGF9RCmUytZtJC09aM8L-HPJZVKGSoE-fFN4GI6vb9jLM-Lu0aHQRe0VTg9H-oxarxSW_QklkJlM8KxfqBtU7M2xWP7WAuRyk88xra1QJqE3D_bS6mMH8WhepJQtl1CwF9tJLvkd0-j3-I1IYYD8gvtKT1AlwvhaNDatS4hnrN_wdLDITYSh0s3a03-APhIOt1V-S8dKWpAguUHMh4aYqBWWmjNuFPhycptF3VLMd-4gjKr1D567YtwOGvIlTFLQNsSrehjtruqsDiuH3jr0TXTPU1EweWIbNpkODduD4_9SS6w=w597-h1325-no?authuser=0

After:

h0Ky8wPeL7JC8Ol2lQzlM2pf7JBmwxnotW2xzT6Pcpp_xQzT7a2bQM0ChF0LW-Z5z10ENn4UE-mZbT6cloZYTFC0Sikm7-BHK67KsEVWTkg3gxwfBH9lQsEfz6X7hCGPFr_tGU8n2NGgs0-rlxdLSm1kS8Mtizfp8zBTjvy-NLTusg9su32TjR5_fs7ePQc7o-m5w9IbLqqA9kw_ZgJ3jtOqRIZ4IrZvVFgMFDRVw9CgXPkf4BZO-l2R1ySYCdC6_DadZzfHEMec81RUfhB7nhAvIpWaPZHKCjCsNSa8WrUCC5-JaheX1kt-ABDMdbsvP86YHOOA-WJtStZTS0VBg69uxeCMfsL0lPJ-88dgbDsBNDqIwOMkeR5lbQ-H48odoSL6zYor3MDFM-E9FbP43LwPKVgLKXG46cIsgkY6XqbhluGjDsmrpILvCI8lnghfdUIXtFsp-RUWKz5KHaT97REWwWXnnnLS0u2oWyWD3HYunt86yN_oybWyy_EbmqNZiNNj647eMO9SvNeK-6s2C7PJY2Tshjz4lPOhUHEVWK13AXBpaU7RzOTJ51dZwnHkC0OxhY8SwuxiU8d6YU9NLFvW-y_51lRFswLB-MCdwg1rBU7REZVIXZqb3rUl4C5pb3RlSTbVwEtozXYO2W592YeVpxOrHq2rzSJMq0kEsMT7P1l1WzB2Z3h29Tijq5kqNjuekGRXjeLitXBGzRgYAzSEn1a66biK5J7Ac2zkd9vml29nO3_FaI4Bw1xbnv47s1OGci0qe_DBC_kASb0PzGwfAHvMeRCRUzLdET08InDLUDuWMgX-2hfgNdH7E2sAtWfKycUfdLMTRg4O460OVgGVDqlqqKmi6SonYndBB9fhBT_L6WC6CHc7GnvuMPwsoydcNHXTvRET3ZIXSuyOQR0fr126Yzv5Crua8pYkHv8QqHvmig=w597-h1325-no?authuser=0

Not coming up... def want to see.

Last session was a bit of a disappointment... despite being well rested I just couldn't get my body to fire.  My numbers were the same as my last session which was a heavy workout day.  Normally my numbers jump on rested days.  Not sure what the issue was hoping that was an anomaly.  

So I've added kneeling swings to my last 3 sessions and I am REALLY struggling with them.  It's not the speed I even care about, it's the fact that they feel so extremely awkward and uncomfortable that i feel like i can't even make a swing.  I have a tendency to tilt a lot with left side bend and I literally cannot get a feel for how to swing my arms.  I try to turn flatter and swing my arms and I just can't get a feel for how to get my hands over my shoulder.  So weird...

Edited by FormerBigDaddy

2 hours ago, FormerBigDaddy said:

Last session was a bit of a disappointment... despite being well rested I just couldn't get my body to fire.  My numbers were the same as my last session which was a heavy workout day.  Normally my numbers jump on rested days.  Not sure what the issue was hoping that was an anomaly.  

It happens.  Progress isn't perfectly linear.  Sometimes 1 or 2 days rest just isn't enough.  Some days, we just don't "have it".

You ever go into the gym and everything just feels extra heavy and difficult that day?  It's like that.

I just look at it as training my body to improve my "minimum maximum".  It's not something I want to do all the time, but it's something that I can't always control.  Not to mention that what happens if those an off-day occur when I need to perform?  I've at least dealt with that mental and physical state in the past to better handle it.  Not to mention that if my "minimum maximum" has gotten better over the past X weeks/months, I'm still better off than I was X weeks/months before.

That said, we also tend to have lower expectations for those "maximum maximum" days where you just blow up your PRs and still feel like you still had something left in the tank.  We tend to not question those and not get concerned when it doesn't happen the next session.  In the same respect, no sense worrying too much about a bad session here and there.

Now once you start noticing these "minimum maximum" days starting to occur more and more frequently, that's when it's time to determine whether or not you are over-training (and need to cut back volume) or plateauing (and try to introduce a different stimulus).

Edited by SirFuego

2 minutes ago, SirFuego said:

It happens.  Progress isn't perfectly linear.  Sometimes 1 or 2 days rest just isn't enough.  Some days, we just don't "have it".

You ever go into the gym and everything just feels extra heavy and difficult that day?  It's like that.

I just look at it as training my body to improve my "minimum maximum".  It's not something I want to do all the time, but it's something that I can't always control.  Not to mention that what happens if those an off-day occur when I need to perform?  I've at least dealt with that mental state in the past to better handle it.  Not to mention that if my "minimum maximum" has gotten better over the past X weeks/months, I'm still better off than I was X weeks/months before.

That said, we also tend to have lower expectations for those "maximum maximum" days where you just blow up your PRs and still feel like you still had something left in the tank.  We tend to not question those and not get concerned when it doesn't happen the next session.  In the same respect, no sense worrying too much about a bad session here and there.

Now once you start noticing these "minimum maximum" days starting to occur more and more frequently, that's when it's time to determine whether or not you are over-training (and need to cut back volume) or plateauing (and try to introduce a different stimulus).

Yeah, all good points.  

Honestly I feel like those kneeling swings got into my head.  I simply cannot swing the sticks kneeling the way I do standing.  Again, I tend to tilt a lot with left side bend and you cannot make a swing that way when kneeling.  When standing this method clearly creates more speed for me than swinging my arms but when on my knees I can't make a swing.  I think something has to change.  Just gonna keep working on these kneeling swings I guess.

7 hours ago, FormerBigDaddy said:

Yeah it is being weird. Here it is again. These are best of the best, not necessarily averages:

Before:

image.png.72c31ba8575d773a7e065ebb87736410.png

After:

image.png.a2065810f901c79080e989358a085866.png

Before, I would say averages were 106 club head speed, 270 carry, 153 ball speed

After, I would say averages are 112 club head speed, 285 carry, 162 ball speed

Edited by TomBomb51
  • Like 1

I like golf. A lot.

1 hour ago, TomBomb51 said:

Awesome! How long did you do protocols for? Mind sharing some more of your journey? I started at about 105 and hoping to cruse at 111-112 by April or so. Been putting in work at the gym and going hard on the protocols. 

2 hours ago, FormerBigDaddy said:

Awesome! How long did you do protocols for? Mind sharing some more of your journey? I started at about 105 and hoping to cruse at 111-112 by April or so. Been putting in work at the gym and going hard on the protocols. 

I did 6 weeks worth of the super speed training. I've done 0 gym work.

I've always had a very deliberate tempo and always thought that with my slim frame and complete distain for the gym, that I've plateaued with my speed (105-108). I've been at this speed for at least 10 years (I'm turning 35 in a few months).

This off season, I bought a GC3. I took the most basic idea, just swing faster. I INSTANTLY saw a boost to 110-112. Taking the club back faster and move my body faster, just swing faster. I've been building off that, with a more aggressive weight shift and over swinging. Doing this every other day, maybe 30 or 40 swings a day, I can now go cold into a range session and start at 110, and cruise around 112 with a normal swing.

I like golf. A lot.

Kneeling swings at max force are idiotic and you’re likely to hurt yourself.  Left handed swings are equally idiotic.  You are going to move very slow.  It doesn’t translate to moving faster.

I don’t trust superspeed protocols at all.  No other sports program speed in such a way.  I don’t see any long drive guys train in such ways.  I don’t think there’s any real evidence or science behind what they program.  

They need something to make it seem sophisticated or to sell you other then move three sticks as fast as you can.  But the sticks simply work because overload and underload speed training at max intent works across all sport genres.

If anything I’d do baseball swings instead if you really want to do something at a level plane.  Your much likely to move faster plus not hurt yourself.  Personally I highly recommend step drills.   You can usually push yourself an extra couple mphs with them over normal swings which will eventually transfer:  

5 hours ago, jestein1679 said:

Kneeling swings at max force are idiotic and you’re likely to hurt yourself.  Left handed swings are equally idiotic.  You are going to move very slow.  It doesn’t translate to moving faster.

I don’t trust superspeed protocols at all.  No other sports program speed in such a way.  I don’t see any long drive guys train in such ways.  I don’t think there’s any real evidence or science behind what they program.  

They need something to make it seem sophisticated or to sell you other then move three sticks as fast as you can.  But the sticks simply work because overload and underload speed training at max intent works across all sport genres.

If anything I’d do baseball swings instead if you really want to do something at a level plane.  Your much likely to move faster plus not hurt yourself.  Personally I highly recommend step drills.   You can usually push yourself an extra couple mphs with them over normal swings which will eventually transfer:  

FullSizeRender.MOV 36.75 MB · 2 downloads  

In most cases I don't disagree.  But I think I have a technical flaw that I need to work on and kneeling swings may be the key.  My arm swing is jacked up and working on it may be the key to unlocking some more speed. 

On 1/13/2023 at 9:05 AM, SirFuego said:

Interesting I never dug into the info to see the link you sent.  I am nowhere near the speeds they show for the stick compared to my driver speed.  That is odd. 

The past week and a half I have seen my max speed with green/blue increase but where I have seen the biggest different is in the average.  My average speed for each is up about 4-5 mph compared to 2 weeks ago.  Seems I had a bit of a plateau or maybe I am just close to my peak and now I am filling in to make my averages better? 

I don't really know for sure.  I am seeing slow increases in overall driver swing speed, as I swing it 3x at the end of each session.  I also mixed in more rest the past 2 weeks.  Even dropped to 2 sessions a week.  Maybe some of that could be it? 

19 hours ago, joshsparham said:

Interesting I never dug into the info to see the link you sent.  I am nowhere near the speeds they show for the stick compared to my driver speed.  That is odd. 

The past week and a half I have seen my max speed with green/blue increase but where I have seen the biggest different is in the average.  My average speed for each is up about 4-5 mph compared to 2 weeks ago.  Seems I had a bit of a plateau or maybe I am just close to my peak and now I am filling in to make my averages better? 

I don't really know for sure.  I am seeing slow increases in overall driver swing speed, as I swing it 3x at the end of each session.  I also mixed in more rest the past 2 weeks.  Even dropped to 2 sessions a week.  Maybe some of that could be it? 

I am currently in week 6 of the program.  I think the diagram of expected plateau's, timing, and growth chart that was posted in this thread by SuperSpeed Golf is pretty accurate.  I did notice the biggest jump in the first week.  Then some random big jumps following but my averages have been pretty similar since that 2nd week.  What I've found is that when you have a spike it takes a couple of weeks to reach that spike consistently and normalize it.  For example, I went from 118 to 123 after the first week with the green stick.  But it took me maybe 3 weeks to hit that 123 consistently and instead of randomly.  Now I can hit 125 on green but I maybe get it once in my whole session.  I suspect it will take me a few weeks to hit it more often and bring up my average.  I find that to be pretty true with all 3 sticks.  It's kind of like lifting weights... when you first start there's a big jump and then after that you have to grind hard and it takes a few weeks just to rep out a small gain.  Then you rinse and repeat.  It's definitely a grind and you have to be patient.  I really want to hit 130/125/120 on average.  I know it's probably going to take me 2-3 more months of consistent training to get there... and when I do I can't just stop.  Just like in the weight room if you stop you lose strength, you can back off a bit and maintain it but you can't stop completely.

I'd say in the first 5 weeks I probably gained about 4mph of actual consistent clubhead speed on course with driver.  Probably not more than that though... I'd be thrilled to squeeze out 2-3 more mph consistently by April.  The 5% in the first week and then 3.5% jump in months 4-6 seem right on with where I am headed. That would land me at 7mph total gain in 4-6 months.  105 to 112 on course average would be phenomenal and it really pushes me each session.  Would result in about a 20 yard real world average gain off the tee with driver over last season.  Almost a 2 club difference in to greens on my home course would dramatically affect my handicap. 

Edited by FormerBigDaddy

1 hour ago, FormerBigDaddy said:

I am currently in week 6 of the program.  I think the diagram of expected plateau's, timing, and growth chart that was posted in this thread by SuperSpeed Golf is pretty accurate.  I did notice the biggest jump in the first week.  Then some random big jumps following but my averages have been pretty similar since that 2nd week.  What I've found is that when you have a spike it takes a couple of weeks to reach that spike consistently and normalize it.  For example, I went from 118 to 123 after the first week with the green stick.  But it took me maybe 3 weeks to hit that 123 consistently and instead of randomly.  Now I can hit 125 on green but I maybe get it once in my whole session.  I suspect it will take me a few weeks to hit it more often and bring up my average.  I find that to be pretty true with all 3 sticks.  It's kind of like lifting weights... when you first start there's a big jump and then after that you have to grind hard and it takes a few weeks just to rep out a small gain.  Then you rinse and repeat.  It's definitely a grind and you have to be patient.  I really want to hit 130/125/120 on average.  I know it's probably going to take me 2-3 more months of consistent training to get there... and when I do I can't just stop.  Just like in the weight room if you stop you lose strength, you can back off a bit and maintain it but you can't stop completely.

I'd say in the first 5 weeks I probably gained about 4mph of actual consistent clubhead speed on course with driver.  Probably not more than that though... I'd be thrilled to squeeze out 2-3 more mph consistently by April.  The 5% in the first week and then 3.5% jump in months 4-6 seem right on with where I am headed. That would land me at 7mph total gain in 4-6 months.  105 to 112 on course average would be phenomenal and it really pushes me each session.  Would result in about a 20 yard real world average gain off the tee with driver over last season.  Almost a 2 club difference in to greens on my home course would dramatically affect my handicap. 

Looks like we are almost in the same boat.  I was probably 105-107 on course and started in March or so of last year only getting in a little training before "golf season" started and I went into maintenance phase.  Been grinding away at it and seeing higher speeds on Trackman and even went a little over 115 mph on a swing.  If I could sit in the 112-115 range I would be pumped.  

I have seen a huge difference in iron distance and that has really helped too. 

Still seems really odd that my SpeedStick numbers are no where near what their chart says they should be based on my driver

1 hour ago, joshsparham said:

Looks like we are almost in the same boat.  I was probably 105-107 on course and started in March or so of last year only getting in a little training before "golf season" started and I went into maintenance phase.  Been grinding away at it and seeing higher speeds on Trackman and even went a little over 115 mph on a swing.  If I could sit in the 112-115 range I would be pumped.  

I have seen a huge difference in iron distance and that has really helped too. 

Still seems really odd that my SpeedStick numbers are no where near what their chart says they should be based on my driver

I've noticed some trends that are pretty consistent for me...

All my sticks are typically within 4-5 mph of each other.  Right now I'm at 125/120/115 with the sticks.

I find I can Swing my driver after a training session, without a ball, a couple mph faster than my red stick and 1-2 slower than blue stick.

When hitting balls, after a training session, my SS is typically 2-3 mph slower than red stick.  I've been tracking my data pretty closely and this is pretty consistent for me.  

I still take the driver swings (hitting a ball) after a session with a grain of salt and figure my real world speed is probably a couple mph slower on the course.  I've hit 112 into a net, but doubt I'd get it that high on course.  Although, I'm not super comfortable hitting all out driver into a net indoors so not sure what to make of doing it outside and feeling a bit freer. 

Last couple of weeks I've tried to not over analyze it and just go hard and be consistent.  We'll see how it shakes out in april/may.

Edited by FormerBigDaddy

On 10/21/2021 at 11:14 PM, LJ1978 said:

ok its the end of protocol 2, green spreadsheet is protocol 1 and blue spreadsheet is protocol 2, also included is a trendline for all results.

overall im very happy and cant wait to start protocol 3. i have a driver fitting tomorrow at coolclubs looking forward to a new driver shaft.

Now as from my 1st post above, 3 times per week (M,W,F) use blue ssr and put a tee in the ground a grip length from radar at 45 degree angle. i have learnt alot about my swing from this journey. ie vertical force front leg, softer grip, body rotation and release point( i tended to drag the handle, not so much now). when i goto the range i use a sc100 and prior to SSG my absolute max wax 106mph. Now when i goto the range if i dont really try i can hit that number. i have hit a max of 117 at the range but i tend to sit around 110 - 112. like i said i am happy.

all my results in the spreadsheet are only from the fastest swing from each stick. im happy to answer any questions. keep at it people this is good stuff

protocol 1.png

protocol 2.png

protocol trendline.png

I know this is an old post but really like looking at your data.  Seeing peoples results help me stay motivated.  Especially seeing when your speeds dipped on some days and you bounced back a week or so later.  I'd love to finish where you did and then try to maintain it!

Pretty fired up hit a PR tonight of 128 (week 6) on green. 3 mph up from previous 2 sessions. What’s interesting is my last 2 sessions I was rested and had no lift that day. Hit the PR in the evening when I had a pretty intense lift this morning (arms, legs, cable rotations, anti rotationals ). Starting to see a different trend where I can hit some higher numbers on lift days but I get tired quicker. On days I haven’t lifted I feel like I struggle to get loose/activated. It’s kind of weird. Anyways just thought I’d share. 

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere in the thread, but does it make any sense to start speed training as a relative golf beginner? I golfed a decent amount growing up but am just getting back into the game after a 10 year hiatus. I have the basics of a swing but am wildly inconsistent. I'm going to start lessons soon, but am wondering if it would be useful to begin speed training before I have a swing grooved or if that would just be detrimental to learning the technique.

17 hours ago, mkolb213 said:

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere in the thread, but does it make any sense to start speed training as a relative golf beginner? I golfed a decent amount growing up but am just getting back into the game after a 10 year hiatus. I have the basics of a swing but am wildly inconsistent. I'm going to start lessons soon, but am wondering if it would be useful to begin speed training before I have a swing grooved or if that would just be detrimental to learning the technique.

You're never going to have a swing grooved so just forget that notion.

I believe speed training would help a lot with coordination, body movements and technique even for an absolute beginner.  It's a lot of fun and the added practice of doing anything golf related a couple time a week will only help you be a better golfer.  

• Thanks 1

Hi all, I have a question about documenting swing speed each session. I’m on week 5 of Protocol 1, and the info from SSG says to make note of the fastest swing speed with each of the 3 clubs during each session. So which swings are you choosing from? The first 3 “normal” swings? The step change swings? Or the last set of swings (but that only applies to the green club)?

I’ve been ending each session with 3 max-out swings which each club (dominant side only). I know that’s not what the protocol says to do but it doesn’t make sense to me to be noting the step change swing speed. 

I asked SSG via email but they didn’t seem to understand my question. 

I wish they would come out with an app to help clarify which swings should be recorded! Thanks. 

11 hours ago, Toeknail said:

Hi all, I have a question about documenting swing speed each session. I’m on week 5 of Protocol 1, and the info from SSG says to make note of the fastest swing speed with each of the 3 clubs during each session. So which swings are you choosing from? The first 3 “normal” swings? The step change swings? Or the last set of swings (but that only applies to the green club)?

I’ve been ending each session with 3 max-out swings which each club (dominant side only). I know that’s not what the protocol says to do but it doesn’t make sense to me to be noting the step change swing speed. 

I wish they would come out with an app to help clarify which swings should be recorded! Thanks. 

Just record your fastest swing each session with each club regardless how you got there (step change/regular/max etc.)

My step change used to be a couple miles faster than my regular max effort swing but not really any more.

Week 7ish has been really good for me. Matched my PR and set new PR’s in 3 of last 4 sessions. I attached my spreadsheet for reference. I’m not sure my first recorded session was my actual first session so that baseline might be a tad higher than first true session. Note that I also record whether I worked out the day of the speed training session. The day of the week correlates to my lift schedule. Early on I was seeing some fluctuating numbers based on if I lifted or not and which day in the program it was. Lately it doesn’t seem to be making much of a difference.  Also, I don’t love hitting balls into my practice net indoors so the driver w/ ball numbers are probably not a good reflection of on course numbers as I feel uneasy about going hard indoors. Driver without ball column is all out swings.  Still not a great representation of on course speed and higher than what I expect in reality when hitting a ball.  I do also feel like kneeling swings have some benefit to arm speed. Blue column kind of annoys me bc I feel like I can swing that stick faster but you really only get one shot at it. My second time through on the green stick is usually 4-5mph faster than first crack at it. 

I love this program…

F9B74272-F2F5-405D-A762-947935642CC9.jpeg

Edited by FormerBigDaddy

On 2/2/2023 at 8:52 AM, FormerBigDaddy said:

Week 7ish has been really good for me. Matched my PR and set new PR’s in 3 of last 4 sessions. I attached my spreadsheet for reference. I’m not sure my first recorded session was my actual first session so that baseline might be a tad higher than first true session. Note that I also record whether I worked out the day of the speed training session. The day of the week correlates to my lift schedule. Early on I was seeing some fluctuating numbers based on if I lifted or not and which day in the program it was. Lately it doesn’t seem to be making much of a difference.  Also, I don’t love hitting balls into my practice net indoors so the driver w/ ball numbers are probably not a good reflection of on course numbers as I feel uneasy about going hard indoors. Driver without ball column is all out swings.  Still not a great representation of on course speed and higher than what I expect in reality when hitting a ball.  I do also feel like kneeling swings have some benefit to arm speed. Blue column kind of annoys me bc I feel like I can swing that stick faster but you really only get one shot at it. My second time through on the green stick is usually 4-5mph faster than first crack at it. 

I love this program…

F9B74272-F2F5-405D-A762-947935642CC9.jpeg

This is awesome! Love all the details here. I have been looking a lot at some of these things and I think sometime we can become overly obsessed with day in and day out numbers. So much can influence speeds on a given day, I have done research to look at force production with sleep issues and it for sure alters those variables, as many of us know. I think the key is to be consistent, follow the plan and then see those speed gains numbers move up across time. Sometimes you may get a big jump on a session or week or swing even. I notice you had some bouncing back from low 120s to high 120s early on with the green. Now you are really seeing the consistent high 120s in the green. If you had thrown in the towell after a couple of days of low 120s, or been too focused on those drops you really end up missing out on the consistent gains that I see over and over again with those who come into my lab to do research on speed training. Great work here!!

16 minutes ago, drtstandy said:

This is awesome! Love all the details here. I have been looking a lot at some of these things and I think sometime we can become overly obsessed with day in and day out numbers. So much can influence speeds on a given day, I have done research to look at force production with sleep issues and it for sure alters those variables, as many of us know. I think the key is to be consistent, follow the plan and then see those speed gains numbers move up across time. Sometimes you may get a big jump on a session or week or swing even. I notice you had some bouncing back from low 120s to high 120s early on with the green. Now you are really seeing the consistent high 120s in the green. If you had thrown in the towell after a couple of days of low 120s, or been too focused on those drops you really end up missing out on the consistent gains that I see over and over again with those who come into my lab to do research on speed training. Great work here!!

Yeah early on there was a lot of experimentation going on as well. But you’re right you cannot get too caught up on days where the speed isn’t there. I have another column that isn’t shown for notes. A lot of times I write in how I felt that day or certain things that clicked during the session. I’ve adjusted my goal mentally to get to a certain number consistently on my worst day. Where I feel tired, tight, sore, etc. I have every intention of completing all 6 levels so hopefully that will be easily attainable. 

Watched a bunch of different posts from this guy below and matched all my PRs next session (-1 green), which I’ve been struggling to do.

i can’t get my left leg to “jump” like these guys do and probably don’t have as good of ground force as I could.  I hate the feel of pressing down hard with the lead heel or shifting weight aggressively like the downshift board though.  I hit it terribly when I do that and am slower with the sticks when I try.

137/130/123

https://instagram.com/tremullinsgolf?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Edited by jestein1679

Without going back all through the thread, as anyone older done this? And if so, were the results good?  I was just on a simulator today and the numbers just keep decreasing (obviously right!? Duh). I haven’t swung a club for a couple of months and was sitting around 148 ball speed, topping 150 a couple of times. I would be happy just to get back into the 160 range if possible. Turning 60 this summer is why I was asking about if any of the older guys had done it. 

12 hours ago, deadsolid...shank said:

Without going back all through the thread, as anyone older done this? And if so, were the results good?  I was just on a simulator today and the numbers just keep decreasing (obviously right!? Duh). I haven’t swung a club for a couple of months and was sitting around 148 ball speed, topping 150 a couple of times. I would be happy just to get back into the 160 range if possible. Turning 60 this summer is why I was asking about if any of the older guys had done it. 

So as a getting-older guy, I cant encourage this enough. I'm using another system but one of the reasons, well two, are what you pointed out. Getting older, not swinging for months at a time in the winter. Cant encourage you enough to give it a shot especially if it gets you off the couch.

• Like 1

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

On 2/1/2023 at 12:25 PM, Toeknail said:

Noticed on IG or Twitter today that SuperSpeed can integrate with the Blast app so it tracks similar to Stack.