SuperSpeed Golf training system

I have a Tour Striker Pro but it's not in my regimen right now. SSR, SSG sticks, and swing fan make for quite the party.

This is my hotel setup. I do the protocols at the side of the hotel by the bike racks. Passers by have no idea what I'm doing. Was getting my best ever non-dominant and dominant numbers with the red tonight thanks to another K-vest session.

That makes sense...no ONE training aid to not get stuck in one protocol. You must travel a LOT. LOL!.

4 days a week, 48 weeks a year. Right now I can drive interstate to my current client. When I have to hop on a plane again and leave my SSG sticks behind I'll be crushed!

Tour Striker is decent BTW. Martin Chuck has a knack of coming up with legit training aids.

Dang, you must be king of mileage and points.

do you get to golf while traveling?

I have a Tour Striker Pro but it's not in my regimen right now. SSR, SSG sticks, and swing fan make for quite the party.

This is my hotel setup. I do the protocols at the side of the hotel by the bike racks. Passers by have no idea what I'm doing. Was getting my best ever non-dominant and dominant numbers with the red tonight thanks to another K-vest session.

That makes sense...no ONE training aid to not get stuck in one protocol. You must travel a LOT. LOL!.

4 days a week, 48 weeks a year. Right now I can drive interstate to my current client. When I have to hop on a plane again and leave my SSG sticks behind I'll be crushed!

Tour Striker is decent BTW. Martin Chuck has a knack of coming up with legit training aids.

Dang, you must be king of mileage and points.

do you get to golf while traveling?

Typically not, because of a lack of free time. I did get to go to Top Golf last week and it was a blast. It's actually a pretty good way of assessing improvements in ability to hit target.

Lots of points (esp. hotel) but I tend to get jipped on mileage and status. One year I'll be going somewhere that I can only fly Delta and I'll build up status. Next year I'll fly all United and lose the Delta status... Would love to bring my clubs more!

Break through tonight -

First 3 swings with the green were at 113, much higher than the norm of 106-108.

Then the last 5 with green were 123, 126, 122, 123 and 119.

So basically all north of 120 and I hadn't touched 126 ever before.

Was focused on biggest shoulder turn, dropping the hands and release, all while trying not to grip hard.

Real progress being made !!!! :)

To give context I started 2/23/17 at 100 to start with the green stick and 106 ish for the last 5 swings with the green for my first session.

I haven't progressed past the initial protocol as I have been lazy and I haven't done it religiously three times a week, so I think the gains are pretty darn good.

Break through tonight -

First 3 swings with the green were at 113, much higher than the norm of 106-108.

Then the last 5 with green were 123, 126, 122, 123 and 119.

So basically all north of 120 and I hadn't touched 126 ever before.

Was focused on biggest shoulder turn, dropping the hands and release, all while trying not to grip hard.

Real progress being made !!!! :)

To give context I started 2/23/17 at 100 to start with the green stick and 106 ish for the last 5 swings with the green for my first session.

I haven't progressed past the initial protocol as I have been lazy and I haven't done it religiously three times a week, so I think the gains are pretty darn good.

Pretty darn good? I'd say that's incredible! Great success story!!

FYI for those looking for a swing fan, Dick's has one 15% off on a flash sale right now, $15. I think its today only though.

Home Depot has a sale on brooms for those cost conscious mavericks who are in need of making life more difficult for themselves. You can also save money by swinging a cat. Helps improve form, stops casting, and is cost effective.

FYI for those looking for a swing fan, Dick's has one 15% off on a flash sale right now, $15. I think its today only though.

Home Depot has a sale on brooms for those cost conscious mavericks who are in need of making life more difficult for themselves. You can also save money by swinging a cat. Helps improve form, stops casting, and is cost effective.

Thanks for your contribution.

Wow, thanks. Ordered, along with a bunch of Adidas golf apparel at great prices.

It's actually 50% off until 10PM Pacific Time tonight: https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/maxfli-swing-fan-golf-training-aid-16maxumxflswngfntrn/16maxumxflswngfntrn

Add $35 more to your cart for free shipping. :)

Any chance that the mods could break out the swing fan posts into another thread? I'm intrigued by both products and I understand that some folks are finding that they complement each other, but it'd be nice to keep this thread about SSG. Plus it'll be easier for people to search for information about the swing fan in the future anyways. The discussion started in post 1512 just a few pages ago, so I don't think it'd take much to separate them out.

And feel free to delete this post if the thread gets broken out into two.

@PorscheFan - thanks yeah its been good. Now I need to work on getting the arms to work faster with the protocols off the knees. I have definitely strengthened the lower body/explosiveness from being in the gym /trainer but to get any faster I think it has to be arm speed now.

p.s love the user name, same here current owner.

@PorscheFan - thanks yeah its been good. Now I need to work on getting the arms to work faster with the protocols off the knees. I have definitely strengthened the lower body/explosiveness from being in the gym /trainer but to get any faster I think it has to be arm speed now.

After consultation with the SSG folks, I was advised to avoid the protocols off the knees due to a back injury, but I can understand why they're so effective due to the isolation of the trunk and arms from the hips.

Have you tried the rebound protocol? I added it to the end of the introductory protocol and it seemed to improve my non-dominant speed.

Great taste! I just picked up a Touring last week. Loving it.

Lets take the high ground more often shall we? No need to poke fun at people that want to get better at golf but not spend a ton of money doing it (they might not have the money mind you, are on a budget but have a golf obsession still). Every little gadget adds up in cost, takes up space etc etc.

Swing hard in case you hit it!

For those that follow this thread, does anyone have updates to share of improvement since starting their SSG routine? To keep simple, maybe just post the following....

Weeks Months or Years Utilizing SSG system:

Driver speed before:

Driver speed now:

I don't use the system exactly so I don't really count I am more curious about others improvements. Nothing makes me happier golf wise than seeing people make speed gains they didn't think they could before, regardless of how. I tell everyone I know that you have it in you if you work at it.

Time: 4 months

Driver speed before: 85 MPH

Driver speed now: 105 MPH

Wow, that would be about a 50-60 yard gain!

My speed has gone up using the sticks but I’m not sure how much with my actual driver. For those that are answering, what have you used to measure your before and after swing speed with a driver? Sounds like the SSR is not reliable.

My speed has gone up using the sticks but I’m not sure how much with my actual driver. For those that are answering, what have you used to measure your before and after swing speed with a driver? Sounds like the SSR is not reliable.

My personal opinion, use SSR numbers if nothing else. They may not be accurate but if you are consistent in your technique, it should give a good idea of how much you may have increased. If you find you are all over the place with it, well then it might not be any better than guess.

Edit: I will add that personally, I find my best and most accurate measurements of my actual swing speed when a ball is present is to use my SSG (heavy) club and swing it at a tee with SSR reading speed. It jives very well with what I am at on trackman with my gamer club. Only if you have a really great swing and no mental block can anyone seem to match their all out Red club swing when a ball is present with a standard driver.

Thanks! Yep, my latest 5 MPH jump only happened in the last 7 days, so I haven't even taken it to the course yet. Can't wait to take it out there.

Had a driver fitting last week, because my spin off the driver is high. For me a driver change will be necessary to access 20-30of those yards. BTW I was surprised how differently my swing reacted to different heads and shafts. I always thought I was shaft agnostic, but the differences in spin and ability to replicate strike pattern were significant.

I'm using SSR for all of my measurements. I did do a guess/quick check against the ball speed numbers I was seeing from the GC2 in the fitting and they seems reasonably close.

Thanks! Yep, my latest 5 MPH jump only happened in the last 7 days, so I haven't even taken it to the course yet. Can't wait to take it out there.

Had a driver fitting last week, because my spin off the driver is high. For me a driver change will be necessary to access 20-30of those yards. BTW I was surprised how differently my swing reacted to different heads and shafts. I always thought I was shaft agnostic, but the differences in spin and ability to replicate strike pattern were significant.

I'm using SSR for all of my measurements. I did do a guess/quick check against the ball speed numbers I was seeing from the GC2 in the fitting and they seems reasonably close.

Good to know, great improvements! Congrats so far!

Good to know, great improvements! Congrats so far!

Thanks a lot! I can’t hold a candle to some of you bigger hitters, but I’m extatic to finally see 105.

To be honest, a month ago I was in a plateau and was beginning to think I’d never see 105. Some of my numbers were even going backwards!

After consultation with the SSG folks, I was advised to avoid the protocols off the knees due to a back injury, but I can understand why they're so effective due to the isolation of the trunk and arms from the hips.

Have you tried the rebound protocol? I added it to the end of the introductory protocol and it seemed to improve my non-dominant speed.

Great taste! I just picked up a Touring last week. Loving it.

Hadn't even heard of the rebound protocol so will look it up, thanks. I've been doing a lot of exercises to strengthen glutes, hamstrings and back and its paid off for speed, but its easy to get tight without daily stretching.

Have been through some 2 seaters, Panamaeras and now suvs, curious to see what the Taycan is going to drive like, lots of power and low even weight distribution I would think.

Time: 5 months

I don't have access to a swing monitor so I'll post my improvements via red stick speed on SSR

Red stick speed before: 88 MPH

Red stick speed now: 110 MPH

I have been doing Level 2 protocol for the last few weeks and I feel I've stalled in my progress. My SS is lower when doing the Crow Hop compared to the Step-Change. This makes me think that it's not so beneficial for me. Anyone else experience this? I might start a Level 3 protocol to get out of this plateau.

My WITB
Callaway Epic 10.5º
Callaway Steelhead XR Hybrid 19º, 22º, 25º
Srixon Z545 (6 to PW)
Titleist Vokey SM6 50º, 54º
Taylormade Hi Toe 58º
Taylormade Tour Black Spider
Titleist ProV1

Am I the only one getting slower swing speeds with the step swing versus the regular swing? My highest speeds are when I swing the speed sticks with my “normal” swing, NOT the step and swing.

I'm the same. Sometimes it's a little quicker and sometimes it's not. I don't see a massive increase in swing speed like some others seem to.

That’s incredible!!! Any other factors in play with that increase?

Thanks!

A little context:

I'm decently strong, but very inflexible. My full swing is everyone else's three-quarter swing.

Still, I have always wondered why professional golfers can look like a string of spaghetti yet outdrive me by miles. Three weeks ago my instructor went out on the course with me. He stood on the 10th tee and said "If we went to the gym you could beat me in any possible exercise, but you haven't learned to get the most out of a golf swing yet". He then proceeded to nut it 295 yards. That reaffirmed everything I'd already throught and made me even more certain that what I was doing that had provided some benefits already could provide more if I kept going.

I'm a work in progress, but here's what I've done so far:

Exercise

Lifting less weight and doing more explosive moves with lighter weights. Primarily this has involved med ball slams with 10 or 15 pound balls and a 5 minute wall ball workout that I devised myself. All exercises are golf-specific.

SSG and Swing Fan

I try to use a swing fan to warm up. If also feels like you're swinging in slow motion, so it's great for practicing sequencing. If not, I take easy swings with the red club as a warmup. This was advised to me by the SSG guys.

With SSG, as noted, it's been lumpy progress for me. Sometimes it's no progress. Sometimes I'll get discouraged if I hit a rut, but I don't let it change anything I'm doing. I trust the process, and the science behind the process. I get motivated again by reading about the successes of everyone here.

K-Vest 3D Analysis

I've done this twice and it's helped me understand the proper sequencenced and flowing golf swing more than anything else I've ever read, seen, or done.

First time was focused on firing hips before trunk. I was given specific exercises to encourage this. I made progress in 24 hours, and was making enormous progress in a few weeks.

Second time was focused on letting my arms fire after my trunk. That helped me get the last 5 MPH in concert with SSG. Everything I'm trying to learn with kinematic sequencing I practice with SSG and SSR. The numbers tell me whether I'm making progress.

Flexibility

Nothing yet. I've been prescribed some fantastic flexibility exercises but I have had no success with regard to increasing flexibility yet, so this hasn't been a factor.

Range Practice

I have gotten used to doing SSG at the range without getting embarrassed. I answer questions when asked.

I also practice hitting range balls my own driver as fast as I possibly can, using SSR as my guide. Again, I've gotten used to hitting bad shots and not caring about the result, or what others think. My theory has been that if I train for speed that the accuracy will come, and it's absolutely true. I have to accept that hitting some embarrassingly bad shots will happen and cannot deter me. Over this time period my accuracy has improved significantly, because a sequenced swing is simply more controlled, without the firing of random muscles just to try to hulk the ball down the range.

Sorry for the rambling. Hopefully this helps somebody.

That’s incredible!!! Any other factors in play with that increase?

Thanks!

A little context:

I'm decently strong, but very inflexible. My full swing is everyone else's three-quarter swing.

Still, I have always wondered why professional golfers can look like a string of spaghetti yet outdrive me by miles. Three weeks ago my instructor went out on the course with me. He stood on the 10th tee and said "If we went to the gym you could beat me in any possible exercise, but you haven't learned to get the most out of a golf swing yet". He then proceeded to nut it 295 yards. That reaffirmed everything I'd already throught and made me even more certain that what I was doing that had provided some benefits already could provide more if I kept going.

I'm a work in progress, but here's what I've done so far:

Exercise

Lifting less weight and doing more explosive moves with lighter weights. Primarily this has involved med ball slams with 10 or 15 pound balls and a 5 minute wall ball workout that I devised myself. All exercises are golf-specific.

SSG and Swing Fan

I try to use a swing fan to warm up. If also feels like you're swinging in slow motion, so it's great for practicing sequencing. If not, I take easy swings with the red club as a warmup. This was advised to me by the SSG guys.

With SSG, as noted, it's been lumpy progress for me. Sometimes it's no progress. Sometimes I'll get discouraged if I hit a rut, but I don't let it change anything I'm doing. I trust the process, and the science behind the process. I get motivated again by reading about the successes of everyone here.

K-Vest 3D Analysis

I've done this twice and it's helped me understand the proper sequencenced and flowing golf swing more than anything else I've ever read, seen, or done.

First time was focused on firing hips before trunk. I was given specific exercises to encourage this. I made progress in 24 hours, and was making enormous progress in a few weeks.

Second time was focused on letting my arms fire after my trunk. That helped me get the last 5 MPH in concert with SSG. Everything I'm trying to learn with kinematic sequencing I practice with SSG and SSR. The numbers tell me whether I'm making progress.

Flexibility

Nothing yet. I've been prescribed some fantastic flexibility exercises but I have had no success with regard to increasing flexibility yet, so this hasn't been a factor.

Range Practice

I have gotten used to doing SSG at the range without getting embarrassed. I answer questions when asked.

I also practice hitting range balls my own driver as fast as I possibly can, using SSR as my guide. Again, I've gotten used to hitting bad shots and not caring about the result, or what others think. My theory has been that if I train for speed that the accuracy will come, and it's absolutely true. I have to accept that hitting some embarrassingly bad shots will happen and cannot deter me. Over this time period my accuracy has improved significantly, because a sequenced swing is simply more controlled, without the firing of random muscles just to try to hulk the ball down the range.

Sorry for the rambling. Hopefully this helps somebody.

Good post, and I agree training for speed accuracy "should" follow because the only way to get the most speed out of yourself is to have a very sound and efficient swing. They should go hand in hand within reason.

Good post, and I agree training for speed accuracy "should" follow because the only way to get the most speed out of yourself is to have a very sound and efficient swing. They should go hand in hand within reason.

Accuracy just seems to follow a good sequence.

On vacation in Marco Island right now and snuck out for 9 holes on Hammock Bay, a beautiful Marriott property. Simply the nicest people imaginable working there.

They have immaculate rental clubs, but I couldn't hit the center of the face on their M4 driver to save myself.

Still hit all but 2 fairways (one miss was by 10 inches), and hit 6 GIRs. Don't ask my how I putted. I think I need to learn to read grain...

Hi all,

I'm very interested in trying SSG and thinking of making my own set first to give this concept a try especially since I've several years of building clubs. Does the swingweight of the SSG sticks matter? Or is it just the total weight? I plan to build my sticks using standard weight steel shafts, 3/8" coupler nuts, 3/8" bolts and 3/8" fender washers. I would epoxy the coupler nut to the shaft and then bolt down the washers on the other end. The bolt makes it easy to adjust the total weight since 1 washer is 11 grams. I estimate the cost of each stick would be less than $8. Hireko has $4 Apollo steel shafts and $2 grips. Nuts, bolts and washers would be another $2 per stick.

Thoughts?

Hi all,

I'm very interested in trying SSG and thinking of making my own set first to give this concept a try especially since I've several years of building clubs. Does the swingweight of the SSG sticks matter? Or is it just the total weight? I plan to build my sticks using standard weight steel shafts, 3/8" coupler nuts, 3/8" bolts and 3/8" fender washers. I would epoxy the coupler nut to the shaft and then bolt down the washers on the other end. The bolt makes it easy to adjust the total weight since 1 washer is 11 grams. I estimate the cost of each stick would be less than $8. Hireko has $4 Apollo steel shafts and $2 grips. Nuts, bolts and washers would be another $2 per stick.

Thoughts?

Initial thoughts are that most 3/8 coupler nuts are only 1 1/8" long max. I'm assuming the nut would be epoxied like a regular hosel, but you'd need enough to stick out for the bolt. Not sure if there is enough surface area to safely hold the nut on if you only epoxy, say, a little more than half the nut to the shaft (maybe there will be, I don't know). The bolt will stop once it gets to the shaft, so you may need to either cut the bolt down or experiment with different bolt sizes so you can get a tight fit. Finally I'd make sure to use loctite or something similar to make sure that bolt isn't coming loose.