SuperSpeed Golf training system

Started using the Super Speed sticks about 3 weeks ago, trying to do them 3 times a week (at least), currently doing that initial protocol. So far I haven't noticed much of a swing speed difference, but that might be because I don't have any kind of radar or SS measuring device, but I also noticed that I'm not striking the ball when I've played as before, I'm guessing that's because it's something new and I'll get better over time, realized the other day also that I'm now trying to swing as fast as I can not necessarily as hard as I can by using weird swing mechanics. But figured I would ask on here if anyone's noticed anything similar at the start where their ball striking has declined at first.

without any measure, you won't feel any difference during session. Did you experience difference in the ball flight and distance on course?

For me, I don't have to swing hard any more. as matter of fact, it feels like i am swing at 75% of what I used to do. But longer than ever.

So far I haven't noticed much/any difference in distances yet, but the last couple of rounds I played were in tough conditions (rain/mist and wind), so that would've altered my distances and caused me not to notice.

I have to admit. I go great deal of back pain that I never experienced before. I am sure it is from golf and age; I will be 50 in few years. So I have been off for few weeks from golfing. However, that never stops me working out. After series of acupressure for a week, I now am at 80% and resume working out. I wonder what the pain level would be if I did not work prior to the injury. I am sure it is divine message for me to slow down but it also is divine message for me to keep working out.

I have to admit. I go great deal of back pain that I never experienced before. I am sure it is from golf and age; I will be 50 in few years. So I have been off for few weeks from golfing. However, that never stops me working out. After series of acupressure for a week, I now am at 80% and resume working out. I wonder what the pain level would be if I did not work prior to the injury. I am sure it is divine message for me to slow down but it also is divine message for me to keep working out.

I hope you feel better soon.

It took me years (too many) to learn this. Physically pushing yourself is a magnificent thing, but doing it to excess can only increase the likelihood of bad outcomes.

I loved lifting weights. I loved it so much that I did it to excess. It was addictive. More was always better. 25 years later I'm paying for that every day. Back pain specifically is no joke.

Some of you guys have incredible gains from SSG. Gains that are both far beyond my reach and far beyond my goals. SSG is an amazing tool, and it just plain works. But maybe everyone should ask themselves "What's my goal? What's enough? Where does this end?"

SSG for me is a tool to get to respectable distances where I can play golf in the manner where I think it's meant to be played. For me that's getting to every par 4 green in 2, many par 5 greens in 3, but some in 2 if my shots deserve it. I want the courses defenses to penalize me if I hit a wayward drive (like today), but I want a chance to score well if my shots are good enough.

For me I can do all of that with accurate shots and decent contact at 100-105mph. I'm about 95-97 in the real world right now and loving it... as long as those drives are accurate. I feel like I'm able to compete against the course, and against my friends and neighbors. That's what I always wanted golf to be for me.

Take it easy, and I hope a diligent exercise routine gets you to 100% fitness soon.

I bought the “clubs” and SSR last week and did 1 training session.

For reference, last time I was on a monitor about 5 years ago I averaged around 100mph for driver but feel I’ve lost some

speed the last few years. I’m 41, 5’8”, 145 lbs, reasonably strong for my size and age.

Green dominate side avg at start: 99

Green dominate side avg end: 105

Actually did 4 swings with the green at the end because the 3rd swing was 114 so I threw that out as an anomaly.

I swung my driver 2 swings (no ball) after and both were 104 so system seems promising. Unfortunately I broke my finger on Saturday so golf will be on hold for a while, will post my results when I can get back at it.

My older friend said his Chiropractor is pushing the system to get more patients.

Don’t believe your friend. Who trusts anyone who actually sees a chiropractor?

Lol. I am the most skeptical person I know and I believe whole heartedly chiropractors can help. I look at it at the same level as massage. I go in when I get lower back pain. I get a back rub and then he pops my lowest vertebra back where it belongs and I am good to go for several more months.

He gives me stretches and exercises to do in order to help prevent it from happening again.

Some chiropractors though do make me roll my eyes with what they say they can do.

Swing hard in case you hit it!

My older friend said his Chiropractor is pushing the system to get more patients.

Don't believe your friend. Who trusts anyone who actually sees a chiropractor?

Especially one who sees a Chiropractor who actively wishes harm in order to drum up business. Contrary to the assertion they are still "medical professionals"

Especially one who sees a Chiropractor who actively wishes harm in order to drum up business. Contrary to the assertion they are still "medical professionals"

He was making a joke...but it is interesting that Amazon only has 26 reviews considering how long these have been on the market.

He was making a joke...but it is interesting that Amazon only has 26 reviews considering how long these have been on the market.

I think anything that requires people to go through a series of training protocols (AKA time and effort) is going to have far more 'buyers' than 'users'.

Do you folks think striving for ultimate driver distance is "as important" now given the advent of hybrid irons? I've thinned some drives recently...maybe 220 yards out, leaving 170 to the green. But it's so much easier now to hit a hybrid iron and land it on the green anyway. I don't think an extra 15-20 yards on an approach shot is as "punitive" as it was years ago. I often find myself selecting the 5H vs the 6 iron and choking down with a better...easier rhythmic swing.

I think what I'm getting at is my prior mindset of "longest drive possible" was based on having to hit regular mid irons that (to me) were / are harder to hit. I don't know...I may be lost in my own logic pertinent to my particular game.

Do you folks think striving for ultimate driver distance is "as important" now given the advent of hybrid irons? I've thinned some drives recently...maybe 220 yards out, leaving 170 to the green. But it's so much easier now to hit a hybrid iron and land it on the green anyway. I don't think an extra 15-20 yards on an approach shot is as "punitive" as it was years ago. I often find myself selecting the 5H vs the 6 iron and choking down with a better...easier rhythmic swing.

I think what I'm getting at is my prior mindset of "longest drive possible" was based on having to hit regular mid irons that (to me) were / are harder to hit. I don't know...I may be lost in my own logic pertinent to my particular game.

I honestly dont think advances in equipment are really relevant. The shorter the shot and the more loft the club will have, which means more control and tighter margins for how offline the shot may go, the equipment just increases your margin of error. I'd always rather have a shorter club and hit those forgiving long clubs even further. And increasing driver SS directly translates to to all clubs, so its not like this only pertains to driver. On long holes you leave shorter clubs in your hands and shorter/tighter holes you can hit less than driver most of the time and still have a mid to short iron in hand

I honestly dont think advances in equipment are really relevant. The shorter the shot and the more loft the club will have, which means more control and tighter margins for how offline the shot may go, the equipment just increases your margin of error. I'd always rather have a shorter club and hit those forgiving long clubs even further. And increasing driver SS directly translates to to all clubs, so its not like this only pertains to driver. On long holes you leave shorter clubs in your hands and shorter/tighter holes you can hit less than driver most of the time and still have a mid to short iron in hand

Good points...yes...an extra 30 yards in the fairway is certainly better. But then there's reality. From what I see driver accuracy suffers which results in doubles and triples for OB drives...no shots to greens, etc. There's a reason why we see story after story about how shorter hitting "always in the fairway" guys beat longer hitting guys. Just yesterday the guys had a 10-40 yard advantage on me, but I only missed two greens...they had OBs...water shots, tough bunker shots...fly-the-green approaches, etc.

IMO their game is overly focused on driving distance vs. driver accuracy. I joke with them that they're trying to hit the driver so far because they can't hit an approach shot that requires more than a PW. I remind them Corey Pavin somehow managed to compete with the longer hitters....and say "how about reaching Corey's playing level first, then go for Dustin Johnson's drives?".

Good points...yes...an extra 30 yards in the fairway is certainly better. But then there's reality. From what I see driver accuracy suffers which results in doubles and triples for OB drives...no shots to greens, etc. There's a reason why we see story after story about how shorter hitting "always in the fairway" guys beat longer hitting guys. Just yesterday the guys had a 10-40 yard advantage on me, but I only missed two greens...they had OBs...water shots, tough bunker shots...fly-the-green approaches, etc.

IMO their game is overly focused on driving distance vs. driver accuracy. I joke with them that they're trying to hit the driver so far because they can't hit an approach shot that requires more than a PW. I remind them Corey Pavin somehow managed to compete with the longer hitters....and say "how about reaching Corey's playing level first, then go for Dustin Johnson's drives?".

Do you feel better now that you told us you beat a bunch of scrubs?

Another one who completely misses the point. Calm down...go swing your things like a madman.

lol basically. He essentially beat players that he is better than. Long players can learn to hit it straight, but short knockers may not have the gusto to add significant amounts of length. Driving accuracy comes down to swing mechanics, "swinging easy" and trying to steer the ball isn't going to result in any significant improvements to one's game.

I'd much rather be long and crooked than short and crooked.

Another one who completely misses the point. Calm down...go swing your things like a madman.

Not really. Basically you are asserting it's not possible to have length and control, based purely on your own anecdotal evidence, which isnt true at all. There are in fact guys who are long and straight, and when you are knocking it out there 235 that would be an iron off the tee for them. And you are now clearly just stirring the pot to stroke your own ego in a thread that is dedicated to those trying to improve their length. Keep at it and I'm guessing you won't be around here much longer

I think adding just 10-15 yards would reasonably improve anybody’s game. Assuming the added speed translates through the bag, that means hitting 2 less clubs on approaches which will improve accuracy. Unless you’re super wild off the tee already you shouldn’t be missing a ton more fairways even if dispersion increases linearly with the added distance.

I’ve lost distance over the last few years and find I have too many hybrid or long iron approaches on the 420-430yd par 4s. Kick up some 20mph wind in the face (common in Oklahoma) and I’m hitting 3 wood and may not be able to reach the green. I’d rather be hitting 5-7 iron from the rough than hybrid-4 from the fairway.

I am not a very good golfer. I have a crapton of raw power available to me, but any give day my swing mechanics are crap. I am working on achieving both power and control. I have power, but it is all over the place. My theory, I have a couple of major flaws that don't allow me to A) be consistently fast B) be consistently accurate C) make consistently good contact. I have had on many occasions, times where I have had my "issues" timed just right and when that happens, I play great golf (if my putter doesn't suck). I have confidence in my swing and I can therefore go after it as hard as I want and more often than not, hit good drives, approach shots, even chips are effected by this confidence. Do I play scratch golf on those days, heck no. But I shave 5-10 strokes off my game when I am feeling good that is for sure.

My point is, you can achieve both power and accuracy (and solid contact I should add) when all the pieces for a sound swing are there. This is my theory, and there are players that prove it to be true. If your swing mechanics are such that you cannot go after it close to full noodle and reap the benefits of it (obviously there is still risk with doing that, you are slightly off line, then the ball is further gone due to more speed), then I would guess you have some swing issue that prevents it. It could be as basic as timing, and just needing to practice timing when going after one, or it could be like what I have which is timing a big EE issue, along with a very strong grip (related issues I know). It is extremely difficult to do this, especially swinging over 120, and with a heavy club. It is not only hard to be consistent with, but it is extremely hard on my body.

Yes, there are guys like me who enjoy thoroughly hitting just one awesome long ball, even if its not in the fairway, it keeps us working at our golf game. I do think however, those guys, if they put the time in and practice with a pro or on their own even, can marry both speed and accuracy and reap the benefits. This is just my theory, and one I am still working to achieve.

lol basically. He essentially beat players that he is better than. Long players can learn to hit it straight, but short knockers may not have the gusto to add significant amounts of length. Driving accuracy comes down to swing mechanics, "swinging easy" and trying to steer the ball isn't going to result in any significant improvements to one's game.

I'd much rather be long and crooked than short and crooked.

I am a firm believer that even short knockers can bomb it if they work at it. Problems that I see prevents this. Nobody that is a decent golfer wants to risk undoing anything they have by retooling their swing to be more efficient, nobody is willing to make a fool of themselves on the driving range by hitting balls as hard as they can. Those are what you need to do, and hitting the gym and seeing a pro don't hurt either.

SSG system gives some the ability to get speed a different way, by swinging these in their garage or home or what have you and not having to make a fool of yourself and the range to see the benefits. Just my 2 cents.

I think adding just 10-15 yards would reasonably improve anybody's game. Assuming the added speed translates through the bag, that means hitting 2 less clubs on approaches which will improve accuracy. Unless you're super wild off the tee already you shouldn't be missing a ton more fairways even if dispersion increases linearly with the added distance.

I've lost distance over the last few years and find I have too many hybrid or long iron approaches on the 420-430yd par 4s. Kick up some 20mph wind in the face (common in Oklahoma) and I'm hitting 3 wood and may not be able to reach the green. I'd rather be hitting 5-7 iron from the rough than hybrid-4 from the fairway.

I think hitting longer just gives a guy a little more satisfaction with the sport. It is satisfying to see improvement in golf and the easiest thing to see is distance I think. Personally, when I golf and I know I don't have it, I just strive for that one great drive, or one sweet wedge shot. The one I remember though, is the one great drive. Makes me proud even when I played like crap.

Ok, anyways, I popped on here to update my status with my home made SSG club (its heavier than the red ssg club by 5 grams and shorter by an inch). I have not been using it for exercise, but I use it to measure my speed improvements from my time at the range and on my sim (since SSR reads it so consistently). When I last did this, I was getting speeds of around 133 max (with some anomalies of 137 or so). I could achieve those only if I swung severely inside out. It would yank the club sharply at the bottom of the swing and I think gave me false numbers in the 130s. I have since made a swing change that makes things much more smooth feeling, and I don't have such a severe inside out swing. I now can regularly achieve 132-137 once I am warmed up.

I have kept my super strong grip but ditched what I was trying to do before which was a more armsy/handsy swing. I was trying to get an armsy/handsy swing to work because I felt that was where I was blessed with most of my power. I felt that i could make it work if I could get my hips going earlier. I have since set that idea aside and moved on to a limp arm drag feeling swing. I didn't think I would be nearly as fast with this swing, but boy was I wrong. I am just as fast as my fastest swings the other way, only much more consistent. I am much more consistent in both speed and ball contact. I am able to keep my strong grip and I have come to realize my swing is starting to resemble the swings of Azinger and DJ. Very open when the club makes contact. I don't get nearly the massive snap hooks I was getting from time to time before so that is great too. I will keep working at this. I think if I can get confident with this and keep working on my speed, I can reach 130+ with my driver which is my goal. My 2 scramble tournaments this summer should be a blast lol.

Anyways, that is my speed boost results so far this summer. Looking forward to hearing from others.

I am a firm believer that even short knockers can bomb it if they work at it. Problems that I see prevents this. Nobody that is a decent golfer wants to risk undoing anything they have by retooling their swing to be more efficient, nobody is willing to make a fool of themselves on the driving range by hitting balls as hard as they can. Those are what you need to do, and hitting the gym and seeing a pro don't hurt either.

SSG system gives some the ability to get speed a different way, by swinging these in their garage or home or what have you and not having to make a fool of yourself and the range to see the benefits. Just my 2 cents.

I agree, most short hitters stay that way for the mental blocks you described. Likely the same subset of golfers who are afraid of the weight room for fear of "getting too bulky" and turning into a linebacker lol

I'm starting to get loner off the tee now. I'm not noticing any loss of accuracy overall.

Typically I have good days with the driver and bad days with the driver. If anything my bad days with the driver have reduced since beginning SSG.

Interestingly Steve Buzza (remember him from the Crossfield VLOGS?) did a study on driving with the specific intent of driving accurately vs. the specific intent of driving for a little more distance. The study group hit three types of drives: Normal (baseline), distance, and accuracy. Typically, when asked to hit it out there a little farther, most could. When asked to hit it more accurately, however, most couldn't. Instead they just hit it lower and shorter than their control drives.

What I selfishly took from that was 'swing with control, but for goodness sake, don't swing slow'.

I think the study was outlined on a Golf Science Lab podcast. My apologies to Steve Buzza for butchering his study.

IMHO striving to hit it long and straight is a worthy goal. For me, SSG is proving to be a key part of that puzzle.